Which path in Fates did you enjoy the most?

Erik-a

I've changed my mind on which route that I like best and I think that I like Conquest the best out of all three. Revelation comes in second and Birthright in third. It was hard to make that choice for me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conquest wins on gameplay and Birthright has Caeldori and all in all the better characters. Revelation is for online gameplay the best one of the three games.
The story of Fates was inferior compared to other FE's like FE4, so this point isn't important for me.
My rating is:
1.Birthright, developed my second favourite character of the serie: Caeldori
2.Revelation, is in online gameplay the best choice and the Birthright characters are playable
3.Conquest,  it has the best gameplay, but this isn't a big advantage, since the basic gameplay is still the same, the maps and enemy skills are just better.

Revelations had a chance to create a path that was actually the hard but correct choice. Going into that route, I was prepared to get no siblings and muddle through with limited resources. Instead they just hand you EVERYONE and it's so contrived.

It's still my favorite path.

Heirs of Fate because it actually knots the whole parallel/pocket dimension story mess together in a decent way and being enjoyable as a whole.

Seriously though, I just finished the whole lot of Fates and imo it goes:

Storytelling: B>R>C

Gameplay: R>C>B

Difficulty: C>R>B

Characters: wat (there's lovely and awful on both sides, except Valla which i- wat)

Birthright was a breeze, but that's okay because it was nice once you got into the flow. I found the story well told and on that route things just fell into place on that front, largely typical and not so intuitive, yes, but nice all the same.

Conquest was... everything but a breeze, though that did give me a way bigger sense of accomplishment. On the story front I facepalmed so very hard up to ch.22 or so, after that I guess they tied the rest of it up rather neatly in comparison. The maps were overall more creative and I liked that, although it sometimes went too far into bs territory imo (looking at ch.10, ninja rape cave and the stairway in particular). This route I enjoyed being done with the most lol.

Revelation was probably my favourite. All the cast together for your army, except a few I guess but that's where the unit logbook comes in. Maps were looooooooong which made it tedious at times. Story is the canon option, so I guess that works in its favour. Major points deducted for burying the biggest revelations in DLC though.

I enjoyed Birthright the most.

Never have I felt more emotional  pain for an enemy unit than in Birthright. The whole Xander/Elise stuff brings out my feels every time.

Conquest just didn’t feel the same, mainly because I thought of them as Nohrian scum instead of siblings. While it didn’t give me quite as many feels, because A) Ryoma killed himself, Which Would have hurt more if Corrin killed him.B) Takumi was already dead by the time you fought him the final time.

I don’t feel either way about Revelations.

Edited by Takumeme

On 3/1/2018 at 12:13 PM, Mandokarla said:

I am of the opinion that Revelations shouldn't exist. At all. The maps are almost wholly irredeemable, gameplay becomes royals-emblem, which I find is just boring and wasteful. The story hinges on some of the most bullshit, asinine, lame mechanics I've ever seen. It completely invalidates any tenuous story validity the other two games had -- which is the core of my hatred. If you make a game whose advertising was centered around the player choosing a side, don't make a game that invalidates that original choice. If the dev time to Revelations had been slashed entirely and given to the dev teams for CQ and BR, then those two games would be significantly better. Improve BR's gameplay and CQ's writing.

Don't give me a bunch of unneccesary cross-nation supports (as fun as some of them are -- TakumiXCamilla is entertaining), give me a set of coherent, respectable supports for each of the main two games. 

That said, I will say that Birthright has the better writing and story of the two  three. Corrin is actually not a more naive and weak lord than Eirika, which was shocking to me (I played Conquest first). Conquest has some of the best gameplay/map design in the franchise (aside from a few lategame maps I find gimmicky and tedious -- Fuga's Wild Ride namely). Ch.10 Conquest is my favorite map in FE. 

If you didn't like Revelation's map design, I recommend you stay the hell away from Jugdral. It (or at least Genealogy) somehow manages to be even worse on the map design front. Personally, the only chapters that bother me as far as Revelation is concerned are the first three.

Anyway... As for the question, I'd say Conquest, though I also like both Revelation and Birthright. As for the story, I'm not that bothered because I've seen worse in the form of Sacred Stones and Binding Blade.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

7 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

If you didn't like Revelation's map design, I recommend you stay the hell away from Jugdral. It (or at least Genealogy) somehow manages to be even worse on the map design front. Personally, the only chapters that bother me as far as Revelation is concerned are the first three.

Duly noted.  I'm always trying to consider which FE games I want to play next.  I can imagine if nothing else that Genealogy will be one of the longer plays I have to do, so it'll be one I'll save for when I'm in the mood for a long ride.  Or when they remake it and I feel obligated to buy it like I did with Echoes.

On 3/3/2018 at 3:23 PM, TheHeroQueen said:

I really liked Revelations. (pls dont kill me) I liked having all the units.

There's a reason why Revelation is the path I've played the most often and not Birthright or Conquest.

As someone who values the characters above all else, it has earned some favor from me for bringing almost all of the characters together.  I still don't particularly like its map design or the story, but neither are necessarily the reason I got into the series anyway.

9 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Anyway... As for the question, I'd say Conquest, though I also like both Revelation and Birthright. As for the story, I'm not that bothered because I've seen worse in the form of Sacred Stones and Binding Blade.

I actually really like FE4's maps for the most part. I find them really relaxing. I hate the gimmickyness of Revelations maps. 

1 hour ago, Mandokarla said:

I actually really like FE4's maps for the most part. I find them really relaxing. I hate the gimmickyness of Revelations maps. 

The gimmicks of Revelation's maps generally don't bother me that much, but the bloated nature of Genealogy's maps just rubs me the wrong way - giant, time-intensive maps just don't work in a game where a single screw up or bad RNG can permanently kill a unit. And that's ignoring the other problems that the bloated maps either enable or amplify.

The maps of  FE4 and Conquest(Lunatic) were the best in my opinion, since both have the epic feeling of a true combat.

24 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

giant, time-intensive maps just don't work in a game where a single screw up or bad RNG can permanently kill a unit.

I think that this is the best part of the maps of Genealogy, this is the moment were you truly have the feeling of the holy war. I have just to admit that the  RNG can be really bad sometimes.

17 minutes ago, Morswo said:

The maps of  FE4 and Conquest(Lunatic) were the best in my opinion, since both have the epic feeling of a true combat.

I think that this is the best part of the maps of Genealogy, this is the moment were you truly have the feeling of the holy war. I have just to admit that the  RNG can be really bad sometimes.

Which I feel is defeated when I'm constantly spending multiple turns doing nothing but "move > wait" with everyone, and then "end turn".

On the contrary, I'd argue they, along with other things, make it a huge exercise in tedium, and at worst, an unplayable mess.

8 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Which I feel is defeated when I'm constantly spending multiple turns doing nothing but "move > wait" with everyone, and then "end turn".

On the contrary, I'd argue they, along with other things, make it a huge exercise in tedium, and at worst, an unplayable mess.

If you feel so, than you know what a trench war is and this is a real kind of war, what is not a too bad thing in a game in my opinion.

41 minutes ago, Morswo said:

If you feel so, than you know what a trench war is and this is a real kind of war, what is not a too bad thing in a game in my opinion.

The problem is, the monotony is a massive issue, not entirely unlike some Smash stages where the stage elements are as much of a threat, if not more so, than my opponent. When I have to worry more about outside factors (in this case, getting bored to sleep) than my opponent, I see a massive problem. And, once again, this is ignoring other mechanical and gameplay failings that make Genealogy VERY unappealing.

3 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

The problem is, the monotony is a massive issue, not entirely unlike some Smash stages where the stage elements are as much of a threat, if not more so, than my opponent. When I have to worry more about outside factors (in this case, getting bored to sleep) than my opponent, I see a massive problem.

Maybe I am blinded by nostalgia and can't judge completely objective, but I wasn't getting bored to sleep. If this would happen, I would stop playing the game, I can really understand your point of view.  I just had never the feeling that it was trial of monotony and I never felt languid by FE4.

On 3/5/2018 at 11:54 PM, Takumeme said:

I enjoyed Birthright the most.

Never have I felt more emotional  pain for an enemy unit than in Birthright. The whole Xander/Elise stuff brings out my feels every time.

Conquest just didn’t feel the same, mainly because I thought of them as Nohrian scum instead of siblings. While it didn’t give me quite as many feels, because A) Ryoma killed himself, Which Would have hurt more if Corrin killed him.B) Takumi was already dead by the time you fought him the final time.

I don’t feel either way about Revelations.

I mostly agree with you. I think the Conquest path was a selfish one for Corrin to choose because Nohr as you described, as scum, although I like the Nohrian characters more than the Hoshidan characters. I felt more engaged with the story than I did when playing Birthright, it's still a good game. I like the Hoshidan characters a lot as well, especially Takumi and Ryoma. In Gameplay-wise, I prefer Conquest on that. However, I prefer Birthright's story to Conquest just a tiny bit lesser than I liked the game previously mentioned (although it was extremely difficult for me to beat and Birthright was a lot easier).

I played Birthright first, then went to Conquest, and Revelation. That chapter with Xander and Elise came as a surprise to me and I think that it's the saddest chapter in Birthright. I just realized that I contradicted myself, so I fixed up this post.

Edited by Erik-a
I just realized that I contradicted myself, my apologies.

Birthright for me. It has the most tolerable story between the two (Didn't enjoy either enough to warrant paying money to play Revelations, so I haven't touched it). 

Conquest had better gameplay and some of the best map design in the series but the story was so awful. Birthright had a generic and boring story, but it was at least tolerable to a degree. I had more fun with Birthright despite the bland map design and how easy it could be. 

On 3/8/2018 at 10:49 AM, Morswo said:

Maybe I am blinded by nostalgia and can't judge completely objective, but I wasn't getting bored to sleep. If this would happen, I would stop playing the game, I can really understand your point of view.  I just had never the feeling that it was trial of monotony and I never felt languid by FE4.

The "trial of monotony" part is hardly all Genealogy has going against it. There's also the fact that its balance is an utter train wreck to the point that it makes freaking Revelation look good in the balance department, as well as the maps making the game Horse Emblem, and dealing with crap like its car crash of an item system, as well as the money system.

On 3/8/2018 at 11:49 AM, Morswo said:

FE4 is fun overall but yeah... . The tedium was extremely real at times. Personally I had more issues with bugs than I did balance playing through. Many, many bugs.

-----------------------------------

On topic not certain why Rev is oft refered to as Royals Emblem? Sakura (reclassed immediately otherwise no), Camilia, Xander, Ryoma are the games really viable "royal" units. Taco is underwhelming when you have Mozu, Reina, Shura, and Merchant!Oboro, Elise comes painfully underleveled, Leo shares Odins issues (no seriously he's awful at join), and Hinoka is... just a joke.

I could understand the Xander/Ryoma thing of "have OP bigbro" but with the crazy booster spam of early rev your early focused units , kids, and Silias are all comperable or just better in every way. The only real standout here is Cammy because Cammy.

Edited by joshcja

My favorite path by far is Birthright. I have finally played all three paths and no matter what, my opinion hasn't budged since I first played the game. Perhaps I'm biased because Birthright was the first one I played, but I stand firm on that. Most people love the Nohrian characters, but I greatly prefer the Hoshidans over the Nohrians. They seemed to mesh together better and I just generally felt better connected to the characters. They were more enjoyable, and I liked nearly every character. With Conquest, I found myself not really caring for the supports and characters with that route. I didn't really like the attitudes that most of the Nohrians had, and they all just look so odd together. 

Story wise, I also preferred Birthright. It was the one I engrossed myself in the most, and I liked the way Corrin acted in this path. It felt as though Corrin actually made more sense in this path, and had more of a backbone. The rationale with Conquest was weak, and I disliked it the whole way through, pretty much. Revelation had its interesting moments, but there was so much lost potential with the story. I feel like the time spent in Valla was too little and that not enough information was given about it, especially since it was the mastermind behind the whole war in the first place. 

I will admit though that Birthright's gameplay was less engaging than Conquest or Revelation, with the repetitive "Route the enemy" goals in every chapter.

If there is one thing that can be said for every path, it's that each one had an amazing soundtrack. That is one of my favorite things from Fates entirely. I still listen to the songs from the game because it was so damn good. 

Gameplay wise, Conquest was an excelent throwback to classic FE games in terms of difficulty and resource management (No unlimited grinding and every bit of gold you get must be used wisely)

Story wise, probably birthright due to it being the least terrible of the 3. I liked the concept of Fates overall story, but the way it was implemented had alot of problems...

On 3/19/2018 at 4:28 PM, Faellin said:

Gameplay wise, Conquest was an excelent throwback to classic FE games in terms of difficulty and resource management (No unlimited grinding and every bit of gold you get must be used wisely)

Story wise, probably birthright due to it being the least terrible of the 3. I liked the concept of Fates overall story, but the way it was implemented had alot of problems...

Up until I played Conquest, I was used to the easier games with lower difficulty and unlimited grinding options. I suppose that leaves me better prepared for the earlier FE games!

Edited by Erik-a

On 3/19/2018 at 1:28 PM, Faellin said:

1 hour ago, Erik-a said:

Up until I played Conquest, I was used to the easier games with lower difficulty and unlimited grinding options. I suppose that leaves me better prepared for the earlier FE games!

Play Conquest Lunatic.  You'll have a really good time!:):

Just so you know, you can't save scum as all growths are fixed for each character upon recruitment.  Enemy stats should be the same on hard, but there are more of them and some come with additional skills, which is awesome if you use Capture.

Do it for RALLYMAN!

FE 6 Hard Mode also provides a good challenge, provided you don't arena abuse.

On 3/21/2018 at 11:34 AM, anniec8711 said:

FE 6 Hard Mode also provides a good challenge, provided you don't arena abuse.

I disagree - I would say its brand of challenge tends more towards frustration than legitimate challenge. 

On 3/24/2018 at 12:15 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I disagree - I would say its brand of challenge tends more towards frustration than legitimate challenge. 

Levant you're back!  Where have you been?  My welcoming team is one man short.  New members have not been posting intros recently, so that should give you time to catch up on your greetings for ALL members, not just the new ladies :P: