Does anyone know about the Valentine Paralogue (Love Abounds) added why Hector doesn't want Lilina to marry Roy?

King Marth 64

10 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

In both that Eliwood support and in the Love Abounds paralogue, Hector comes off as bad father who obviously has no regard for the opinions of his daughter. The fact that Roy is pretty obviously a standup individual who would care for Lilina makes his "overprotectiveness" (I prefer the term "possessiveness" to communicate how creepy I find it) come off in an even worse light. The fact that some fathers do behave that way shouldn't be used as an excuse.

I'm very glad my own father-in-law didn't behave in that manner. I'm also glad my own parents weren't that possessive of me, for all that in general, it's usually daughters who aren't trusted to make their own decisions in romance by these sorts of people.

First of all Hector might be putt air,  but honestly as far as we could see his relationship with Lilina was always good. And he canonically did entrusted her to Roy. Fathers has right to be bit stubborn as long as they know when to fold.

On contrary any potential son in law who thin he can just march in take hypothetical daughter and not even putting enough effort get on good side of parents is not worth it.

On 2/26/2018 at 7:59 PM, bottlegnomes said:

I did?

I didn't see it when you posted. My mistake.

On 2/26/2018 at 5:51 PM, Rezzy said:

If Lilina's mother didn't die, it raises the question of where she is in FE6, mostly an Occam's Razor explanation.

On 2/26/2018 at 7:59 PM, bottlegnomes said:

As for Hector's wife, I think dying is a pretty safe assumption. Like the other topic I saw recently about whether Sue is Rath's daughter, it's never explicitly stated, but given the available information, it seems the most likely. Now, if we want to be 100% true to what the writers intended, Lilina's mother is unimportant and so they never bothered with her, but we have no indication to think that divorce exists In Elibe, and her absence due to travels or something seems more likely to be mentioned in the context of FE6 that her death, which presumably have been long enough ago to not really be worth mentioning between characters.

But the question becomes "what caused her to die?" under the assumption that she did die. That's what I'm trying to get at here.

6 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

But the question becomes "what caused her to die?" under the assumption that she did die. That's what I'm trying to get at here.

Yeah, that was probably excessively snarky. My apologies.

Probably just generic illness if we really want to put a cause to it. Or possibly in childbirth. Despite all its magic, FE is still closest to a feudal setting, at least as far as dressings go, and those were the most common reasons. Roy didn't seem too shocked at Eliwood being sick, just more normal worried, so illness is still a thing, and childbirth is just because it was common in medieval times.

But really, the definite reason is that she wasn't important to the story. Unless we could ask one of the writers or the director, we'll never know for sure. Which, actually, would be kind of cool if we could...

41 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

Mortality in the pseudo Medieval times was high enough that it wasn't a big thing to bring up.

On 2/27/2018 at 9:52 AM, Tenzen12 said:

First of all Hector might be putt air,  but honestly as far as we could see his relationship with Lilina was always good. And he canonically did entrusted her to Roy. Fathers has right to be bit stubborn as long as they know when to fold.

On contrary any potential son in law who thin he can just march in take hypothetical daughter and not even putting enough effort get on good side of parents is not worth it.

Obviously I'd hope any potential son-in-law would want to get on the good side of the parents, assuming they're alive and in the picture (non-estranged, etc.). Any potential daughter-in-law too. But Hector clearly isn't even giving Roy that chance. His lines in the support aren't "I'd only want that red-haired boy to be with my daughter if he was a good person" (which is a sensible sentiment most parents would have), it was an immediate "I'll not give up my daughter!" (implied: to anyone) as if she is his possession and this is his call to make.

We never see much evidence of Hector's relationship with Lilina, but my comments stand: it's clear he doesn't trust or respect her in this regard. This is a rather squicky way to behave and should not be normalized.

You'll notice that Eliwood doesn't behave like a maniac at the thought that his son might be dating someone. What would be your thoughts if he did?

Umm...anyone else think that it ISN'T Hector being the stereotypical overprotective dad, but that it's because he doesn't want to lose someone precious to him again? This Hector IS from FE7, not the more matured one we see in FE6. To this Hector, Uther's death is still very fresh in his mind. He doesn't want his future daughter to get hurt, even by his best friend's son, because he doesn't want to deal with it.

5 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Obviously I'd hope any potential son-in-law would want to get on the good side of the parents, assuming they're alive and in the picture (non-estranged, etc.). Any potential daughter-in-law too. But Hector clearly isn't even giving Roy that chance. His lines in the support aren't "I'd only want that red-haired boy to be with my daughter if he was a good person" (which is a sensible sentiment most parents would have), it was an immediate "I'll not give up my daughter!" (implied: to anyone) as if she is his possession and this is his call to make.

We never see much evidence of Hector's relationship with Lilina, but my comments stand: it's clear he doesn't trust or respect her in this regard. This is a rather squicky way to behave and should not be normalized.

You'll notice that Eliwood doesn't behave like a maniac at the thought that his son might be dating someone. What would be your thoughts if he did?

Sorry, but that sound lot of like projecting. Being protective parents is pretty normal and this is showcase of it. As I said before Hector is stubborn, but it would take few months, I would say year at most before backing of. Especially with Eliwood and his wife cracking him for bit. I seen plenty stubborn people and they are not that difficult to handle.

You would need take whole thing out of context to actually somehow translatevit as "he treat her like possession" 

On 2/26/2018 at 5:47 AM, Glennstavos said:

The FE7 Lords are explicitly dropped in from their FE7 timeline. Hector having just met his daughter hasn't yet considered he'd have to give her up to some other man some day, so I suspect that's the source of over protectiveness. Same with his first meeting with Roy, he doesn't know that kid either.

The Extended epilogue of FE7 shows the first time Hector meets Roy, and ditto for Eliwood meeting Lilina. This epilogue takes place fifteen years after Uther's funeral, so approximately that many years after the events of FE7, and five years before FE6, so Roy and Lilina are ten at that moment. It's odd that Eliwood and Hector, such lifelong friends, couldn't spare a moment to introduce their kids to each other in ten years time. Before the events of FE7, Eliwood and Hector met up at least twice a month if I recall their support correctly.

Are these times confirmed? I always assumed that the children were no older than 4 or 5 in the FE7 epilogue, and I also find it weird how both parents look much more similar to their younger selves than their older FE6 variants, should this be only 5 years before FE6.

As for the topic, it's basically a running gag, now. There were no signs of Hector being overbearing or overprotective in FE6, but FE7 kind of kicked it all off after Hector revealed his dream to Eliwood.

Edited by Raven

4 hours ago, Raven said:

Are these times confirmed? I always assumed that the children were no older than 4 or 5 in the FE7 epilogue, and I also find it weird how both parents look much more similar to their younger selves than their older FE6 variants, should this be only 5 years before FE6.

It says a number of years, but I don't reefer what it is and don't have the means to check right now

9 hours ago, silverserpent said:

Umm...anyone else think that it ISN'T Hector being the stereotypical overprotective dad, but that it's because he doesn't want to lose someone precious to him again? This Hector IS from FE7, not the more matured one we see in FE6. To this Hector, Uther's death is still very fresh in his mind. He doesn't want his future daughter to get hurt, even by his best friend's son, because he doesn't want to deal with it.

Overprotective Hector happened before Uther potentially speaking. It comes from his B support

If theres anything about Hector personality that suggests why this is the case, its either his immaturity or his insecurity. None of the FE7 Lord besides Eliwood are really mature by any stretch of the word(like seriously FE7 is almost Eliwood and 2 deadweights for most of the story) and his insecurity when compared to Eliwood was, comedically and seriously a huge part of his character

5 hours ago, Raven said:

Yes, "fifteen years since Uther's funeral". I presume that Uther's funeral would not happen without Hector present and he mentions that was the last time he saw Eliwood. So it can only have occurred sometime after FE7. I'm guessing the same day of Hector's coronation, which is the first epilogue of Hector Mode. 

And of course we know FE6 is set twenty years later because it is 1000 years since the scouring while FE7 is 980 years at the time of Chapter 11.

Edited by Glennstavos

45 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Overprotective Hector happened before Uther potentially speaking. It comes from his B support

If theres anything about Hector personality that suggests why this is the case, its either his immaturity or his insecurity. None of the FE7 Lord besides Eliwood are really mature by any stretch of the word(like seriously FE7 is almost Eliwood and 2 deadweights for most of the story) and his insecurity when compared to Eliwood was, comedically and seriously a huge part of his character

I can hardly say that Hector acted particularly mature most times, but he did much more heavy lifting than Eliwood. Regardless whether we speak about fighting, intuition or even connections.

Lyn is also more temperament than Eliwood, but that's not same as being immature, not to mention there wasn't even single case when she was burden.

5 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Considering I always ended up getting Eli and Hector's B support after Uther's death...it made sense to me.