Ephraim, Legendary Lord (new Legendary Hero confirmed)

Armagon

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent my ~80 orbs and managed to snag Ephraim just before running out! Also got a duplicate Summer Corrin, who happens to be -Atk, so I guess she's food for my first one.

Absolutely brutal. 380 orbs gets me the following 5-stars:

+HP -Def L!Ike -> Warding Breath for Hardin, I'm using the free neutral one instead.
+Spd -Atk Jaffar -> hits like a wet noodle, L&D fodder at best. Worse because I also got two 4-star Sothes, who also provide L&D3.
+Spd -Def Dorcas -> garbage IVs but Infantry Pulse means I can merge instead of foddering the second Marisa. Holding out for +HP -Res Bartre to stick Infantry Pulse on, we know how common Bartre is and he has one of the highest HP stats among infantry units. Alternatively, NY!Corrin, Oliver, Lyon, and L!Ike would all appreciate his QR3.
+Atk -HP S!Leo -> might be a worthy stand-in for Arvis while I save up the next 20k feathers. For one, with these IVs, he has 1 more HP/Atk/Res (though 4 fewer Spd and 1 less Def), and learns Atk Ploy 3, while Arvis only has Atk Ploy 2 built into Valflame.

One of those full summons was 3-star garbage that all went home.

Will re-examine my finances, buy a second round before this ends, and sit March out like I did with January for the most part.

Edited by Chrom-ulent

5 hours ago, saisymbolic said:

I. GOT. EPHRAIM. ON. MY. FREE. SUMMON.

And he looks to be +DEF -HP.

Has Lady Luck decided to bless me?

I to got Ephraim +atk -spd on my free summon. I'm so blessed I'm getting people that I don't want in the first place. I'll still keep him.

1 hour ago, SlipperySlippy said:

27 (and 30) is a horrible speed range to be in though and won't remotely stop doubles by anyone who well... wants to double. 

Seems much more efficient to just aim for two-shot kills and mitigating the return hit between his two attacks. Play with his strengths, not try to patch up his weakness. 

36 with hone cavalry and speed boon. if you want to you can give him up to 6 additional speed with with fury and spd+3 seal, though I'd assume you'd be using a better seal. 39 SPD is actually quite decent. If you want a meta unit then slap on drag back since hit and run won't place him on forest tiles. Also, it allows him to escape the range of potential magic enemies. Solar brace and sturdy stance are good skills for tanking though. It's completely up to you on how you wanna build him, but your IVs will end up dictating his phase orientation.

Edited by silveraura25

Well...

After spending hundreds of orbs on Legendary Ike's first banner, accepting I wouldn't have him for now, and finally getting the free one today...

I just pulled him on Ephraim's banner after 3 pulls -_-. I hate this game sometimes. 

Hopefully I can get Ephraim as well, I don't even have the regular version of him yet!

13 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Automatic follow-up attack means there's no reason to care about his Spd stat because he should always be attacking twice, meaning he can afford to run either Death Blow or Sturdy Blow and not have to deal with Swift Sparrow, Life and Death, or Fury impacting his survivability or having him deal less damage. His weapon also happens to have 11 more Atk than a Brave Lance+.

Because he is a cavalry unit, there is no excuse for a player-controlled Ephraim to not attack twice. Cavalry units can move from adjacent to an ally to four tiles away from the nearest ally in a single move, and you get the follow-up even if the number of nearby opponents is equal to the number of allies. His allies, typically also being cavalry, will also be able to pick him back up afterwards. Ephraim just has to lead the charge.

"What his base skills suggest" is not "he's an enemy-phase unit" that you said. His base skills suggest that "he's cheapest to build as an enemy-phase unit".

A 19-Mt weapon that always hits exactly twice regardless of your HP so long as you are away from your allies is more powerful on player phase than enemy phase.

Well, firstly, I'm assuming that the double-attacks act like a normal double, and not like a Brave Weapon attack.

Point 1 in my favor: Sturdy Stance is enemy-phase only.

Point 2: Solar Brace + Sol means that when Sol activates, he recovers 80% of the damage he deals. That's a shit-ton, enough that Ephraim won't need a healer, so he can afford to be a good tank.

Point 3: Fortify Defense is usually found on TANKY but SLOW characters. Oh, wait, we actually have his stats on the wiki!

L!Ephraim stats at 40, 5 Stars: 

HP: 40/43/46

Attack: 33/36/39

Speed: 23/27/30

Defense: 30/33/36

Resistance: 15/18/21

Good HP, Attack and Defense, average Speed, bad Res. Looks like I was right!

8 hours ago, tobuShogi said:

Someone convince me that summer Corrin is still worth pulling for. 430+ orbs in and she is nowhere to be seen. Was hoping to get a Cordelia but nope, she's MIA too.

Do you really, really want a flying mage that you would sink in all your hard-earned and perhaps bought orbs?

The first full summon I did set the tone of "Go screw yourself" like the past two banners -- I was able to get success with the first one with Celica, Deirdre, regular Ike, and spring Xander showing up -- and sure enough, out of four full summons, I only had a +Spd, -Atk Gunnthra and my first regular Lilina (+Atk, -HP) after she refused to show up anywhere else and after I was able yo get her Valentine's self on the first try as noteworthy summons. Everyone else either had nothing to offer like Est, Gaius, and 3* healers or just irritated me like another -Spd Jeorge showing up. Basically, nobody like Abel, Barst, Cain, Gunther, Oscar, Selena, or Subaki who have good passives or movement skills. Sure, can't have that, can we?

I wanted Gunnthra the least because she's eventually, probably going to be a freebie story unit and I only use their neutral selves who for some dumb reason aren't locked in your barracks since you can send the last, only copy of them home or use them for skill inheritance. Had Fjorm ever showed up before, she would have been used for any of her skills even if she were +Atk, +Res, whatever.

At least I was able to get a 5* unit and a legendary hero, but man do I wish it was someone else other than Gunnthra. Legendary banners have been awful for me since after the first one and I only did that many summons out of boredom to see what I could get and a desperate hope for PA Olivia. The last two banners I stopped at one or two full summons.

Edited by Kaden

16 minutes ago, CeruleanMage said:

After about 50 orbs I got a +DEF -SPD Shiro and a +RES -ATK Dorcas. A shame about Dorcas but I'm still happy with what I got.

I have the same Dorcas, he still works very good with that bane. He tanked/killed a lot of ranged units until yesterday in TTs. 

40 orbs has somehow gotten me

bIke #7 +Hp/-Spd

sGaius +Res/-Def

sLeo +Atk/-Spd

I know I’ll regret it but I’m probably going to summon on this hell banner one more time before it’s over once we get the March orbs tomorrow. I wanna see if I can beat the odds. I still want more LIke’s, another Jaffar and Flashing Blade fodder. 

3 hours ago, Corrobin said:

Well, firstly, I'm assuming that the double-attacks act like a normal double, and not like a Brave Weapon attack.

Point 1 in my favor: Sturdy Stance is enemy-phase only.

Point 2: Solar Brace + Sol means that when Sol activates, he recovers 80% of the damage he deals. That's a shit-ton, enough that Ephraim won't need a healer, so he can afford to be a good tank.

Point 3: Fortify Defense is usually found on TANKY but SLOW characters. Oh, wait, we actually have his stats on the wiki!

L!Ephraim stats at 40, 5 Stars: 

HP: 40/43/46

Attack: 33/36/39

Speed: 23/27/30

Defense: 30/33/36

Resistance: 15/18/21

Good HP, Attack and Defense, average Speed, bad Res. Looks like I was right!

In other words, his optimal set looks likes this:

Legendary Ephraim [+Atk, -Spd/Res]

Flame Siegmund
Reposition
Luna / Draconic Aura / Bonfire / Moonbow
Death Blow 3 / Sturdy Blow 2
Solar Brace
Hone Cavalry / Fortify Cavalry
Heavy Blade 3 / Attack +3

There's pretty much no reason to run him as an enemy-phase unit unless you are strapped for resources.

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

I have the same Dorcas, he still works very good with that bane. He tanked/killed a lot of ranged units until yesterday in TTs. 

That's good to hear, I'll definitely have to see what kind of set would work for him once I start building him up.

19 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

In other words, his optimal set looks likes this:

Legendary Ephraim [+Atk, -Spd/Res]

Flame Siegmund
Reposition
Luna / Draconic Aura / Bonfire / Moonbow
Death Blow 3 / Sturdy Blow 2
Solar Brace
Hone Cavalry / Fortify Cavalry
Heavy Blade 3 / Attack +3

There's pretty much no reason to run him as an enemy-phase unit unless you are strapped for resources.

What do you have against me using Ephraim as a tank?

28 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

What do you have against me using Ephraim as a tank?

The fact that enemy-phase units really, really want to be near allies to receive buffs and keep their buffs up.

He's better as a player-phase tank than an enemy-phase tank.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The fact that enemy-phase units really, really want to be near allies to receive buffs and keep their buffs up.

He's better as a player-phase tank than an enemy-phase tank.

The DEVELOPERS clearly want him to be a enemy phase tank. If they wanted him to be a player phase tank, he'd have Armored Blow or Sturdy Blow.

52 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

The DEVELOPERS clearly want him to be a enemy phase tank. If they wanted him to be a player phase tank, he'd have Armored Blow or Sturdy Blow.

The developers gave L!Ike Seal Atk/Def. They gave B!Ike Beorc's Blessing so he could tackle horse and flier emblem, but that never got much use outside of budget builds. B!Roy a defense/speed boosting A-slot skill which is half decent since he needs the speed, but not defense. Mia got Flashing Blade, but has to give up a A-slot skill, meaning that you have to rely on IVs, buffs and seals to double fast foes. Just because he has those skills in his base kit doesn't mean it's optimal. How to build a character is open to a player's interpretation, but you have to look at the current meta and where you want to place your unit on the battlefield. If you run him in horse emblem then you risk him missing out on buffs from 2 spaces away and at the beginning of the turn. You're also possibly putting him under the line of sight of ranged units if you want to use Flame Siegmund's doubling effect.

Edited by silveraura25

7 hours ago, tobuShogi said:

Someone convince me that summer Corrin is still worth pulling for. 430+ orbs in and she is nowhere to be seen. Was hoping to get a Cordelia but nope, she's MIA too.

After four of the damn things, I'm begging you to just take them from me. I wanted maybe one of them and then an Ephraim. Got four of them and no Ephraim after a similar amount of orbs spent. Oh well. Good luck if you continue to keep on going for her -.- 

1 hour ago, CeruleanMage said:

That's good to hear, I'll definitely have to see what kind of set would work for him once I start building him up.

There is not much to do, just give him an assist skill and he is set. He may profit from defensive buffs and his infantry pulse is a nice feature to build a team around. 

1 minute ago, Corrobin said:

The developers clearly needed an excuse to add Sturdy Stance into the game.

Here's a reminder (along with all of the examples @silveraura25 gave) that Brave Roy comes with Steady Blow instead of Swift Sparrow, which would have complemented Blazing Durandal far better because the Blazing Durandal + Galeforce build requires him to have high Atk and Spd, not Spd and Def.

The problem with using him as an enemy-phase unit is specifically the fact that Flame Siegmund does not want him to be an enemy-phase unit. Enemy-phase units have more to gain out of proximity skills because they have more positioning flexibility, and Flame Siegmund's effect forces Ephraim to remain out of range of proximity skills to gain its benefit. In order to use him has an enemy-phase unit, you are forced to give up buffs like Drive Def and Ward Cavalry as well as be forced to run without Hone Cavalry or Fortify Cavalry on the following turn.

8 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

They gave B!Ike Beorc's Blessing so he could tackle horse and flier emblem, but that never got much use outside of budget builds.

And Arena scoring builds (where you use the Quick Riposte seal to fix the B slot being taken up). But that doesn't make your point any less valid.

18 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

And Arena scoring builds (where you use the Quick Riposte seal to fix the B slot being taken up). But that doesn't make your point any less valid.

Pre QR seal, but yeah