Was Corrin/Zola justified in starting a fight in Izumo/Nestra to capture Garlon/the Royals?

Ninjato

Hey guys I'm new here. I've always wondered if going against a nation's neutrality was justifiable, even if it meant taking out the head honcho. I mean it kind of defeats the purpose of their neutrality if you end up starting a fight doesn't it?

Good question and one I never thought of. I probably would be leaning towards no, at the same time where are the rulers of Nestra? Why aren't they showing up to enforce their neutral stance? Ultimately these last two questions are a result of lack of world building vs irresponsible leaders. But if you compare Nestra to Crimea in Radiant Dawn which also has a neutral stance this sort of thing would not be tolerated by either Elincia, the Royal Knights or Crimea's people.

On the one hand it's important to put an end to Garon, at the same time if a nation has declared itself neutral you should keep your skirmishes outside of that nation's borders.

There was no justification. But considering it's 14, there will never be a real explanation for why it happened. Zola's belief was that he could kill the royals and stop the war, but that is normal BS writing at its finest, not a justification. It's weak and bad writing. 

The neutrality seems to be enforced only by Izumo/Nestra themselves. That doesn't stop outside parties from charging in and doing whatever they want. The only thing stopping the outside parties was their respecting the countries' sanctions/affiliations. In both cases, a Nohrian invasion spurred a problem, and Corrin just so happened to be in the middle of it. They both were cases of self defense on the latter's part and neither (intentionally) involved Izumo/Nestra's people, their property notwithstanding. The slaughter of Nestra's people afterwards wasn't their own choice. Izumo and Nestra were still neutral themselves. In the case of Izumo, with the supposed Izana being the instigator, it's not like anyone had any time to go around looking for confirmation that Izana was who he really said he was before any fighting happened.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 7:44 AM, SavageVolug said:

where are the rulers of Nestra? Why aren't they showing up to enforce their neutral stance?

I was wondering this as well, in the case of Crimea in RD Queen Elincia at the very least was there to tell Valtome to literally fuck off and when Begnion waltzed into Crimea like they owned the place the knights stepped in. I mean seriously doesn't Nestra have a Duke or something? A security force of some kind? You'd think living right nextdoor to a superpower would warrant some kind of military force just in case. And of course when fighting does break out no Duke or Duchess or King is there to stop the Nohrian Empire and Hoshidan Kingdom from fighting or even just defend their people...