Whatever happened to Desaix's doppleganger?

So for those of you who don't know, if you take the arduous time to kill Desaix's when you first fight him at the end of Chapter 1, he reveals that it was an impersonator the entire time! This...I find rather silly. They could have just had him retreat like a dozen other bosses in the series (including Slayde on that very map), or, more interestingly, alter the plot slightly to reflect his death. You kill hi like three maps later anyway, so it wouldn't be hard.

But the fact that Desaix has a clone of himself does open a case of worms. The clone retreats if you play the chapter normally, and you never find out it even exists...so then what happens to it? How do we even know you kill the real Desaix a few maps later? Presumably the clone would have retreated to that area. Couldn't he rally an army behind him as the real Desaix? Or is he simply some regular dude in bulky armour wearing a fake mustache that doesn't care about politics and was just in it for the paycheck? Or hell! What if it's Xane just messing around in Valentia. Just something that's knocking around in my head. Not sure how much discussion we can get out of it. What do you think of Desaix's mysterious body double?

It's a "heads-I-win, tails-you-loose" situation. If the player defeats Sladye first, then Desaix really was in the battle and retreated normally. If you defeat Desaix, then it was a double. Simple as that. It was a goofy hand-wave in the original game, and they kept it in the remake for old times sake.

Also, it's not a clone, it's a double. Someone disguised himself as Desaix, (which could easily be done with a fake mustache and wearing similar armor) in case he is killed in battle. The poor sod was either loyal to Desaix or forced into the role, and after Desaixs actual death, they wouldn't have taken control due to not being able to keep up the facade for long (that, and Desaix was a child murderer, which is not something one wants to be falsely accused of).

35 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

It's a "heads-I-win, tails-you-loose" situation. If the player defeats Sladye first, then Desaix really was in the battle and retreated normally. If you defeat Desaix, then it was a double. Simple as that. It was a goofy hand-wave in the original game, and they kept it in the remake for old times sake.

Also, it's not a clone, it's a double. Someone disguised himself as Desaix, (which could easily be done with a fake mustache and wearing similar armor) in case he is killed in battle. The poor sod was either loyal to Desaix or forced into the role, and after Desaixs actual death, they wouldn't have taken control due to not being able to keep up the facade for long (that, and Desaix was a child murderer, which is not something one wants to be falsely accused of).

Alleged child murderer! And I know he wasn't literally a clone. I used correct terms in both the title and other parts of the OP.

I know what happened: Kliff killed him for the dracoshield.

The handwave answer is what most likely makes sense for in game. He could be just a generic who looked similar too, but it's clearly not something that had much thought put in either way.

I figure he either died being a generic soldier, or had the sense to flee and not pretend to be Desaix again because why bother pretending to be a guy pretty much everyone left hated at the point he died? Not much of his army to take over, and why take over the remnants of an army that's already been defeated once?

1 hour ago, Mad-manakete said:

I figure he either died being a generic soldier, or had the sense to flee and not pretend to be Desaix again because why bother pretending to be a guy pretty much everyone left hated at the point he died? Not much of his army to take over, and why take over the remnants of an army that's already been defeated once?

What generic soldier though? Because this guy as freaking Baron stats. So you even fight a Baron in the game who isn't a boss?

minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Xane screwing around in Valentia sounds amusing though lol.

It would explain the Draco shield.

Edited by Jotari

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

What generic soldier though? Because this guy as freaking Baron stats. So you even fight a Baron in the game who isn't a boss?

Fair point. Given that and the fact he outright saw what happened to Slayde, I wouldn't be totally surprised if he did exist and pulled a disappearing act. I mean, would you want to fight those guys after that?

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

There are generic enemy barons.

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

There are generic enemy barons.

Ah, well then, we need to figure out which generic Baron is likely him, and figure out how and when his Draco Shield got stolen!

Edited by Jotari

20 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Ah, well then, we need to figure out which generic Baron is likely him, and figure out how and when his Draco Shield got stolen!

We could always stat-match all the generic barons to him. The shield is easily explained, given it was on loan from Berkut. The question is, why he doesn't use it if it's not lost.

4 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

We could always stat-match all the generic barons to him. The shield is easily explained, given it was on loan from Berkut. The question is, why he doesn't use it if it's not lost.

Berkut took it back because this baron dude failed and the deal was he could only keep it if he succeeded. And then Jedah took it from Berkut because he's freakin Jedah and he's an ass who would steal things when the owner wasn't looking. Berkut was too busy trying to figure out war strategies to really care about a missing draco shield. That's my guess.

7 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Berkut took it back because this baron dude failed and the deal was he could only keep it if he succeeded. And then Jedah took it from Berkut because he's freakin Jedah and he's an ass who would steal things when the owner wasn't looking. Berkut was too busy trying to figure out war strategies to really care about a missing draco shield. That's my guess.

But then where's Jedah get a dracoshield from when you do kill the double?  Or do we just assume he's capable of getting one anyway, but he'd go for this one first because it's easier? Either way, I think the key point here is the double becomes irrelevant the moment Desaix dies. Any rallying power Desaix has is most likely gone by then. Zofia is happy to be rid of him, and Rigel views him as a two time loser.

35 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

But then where's Jedah get a dracoshield from when you do kill the double?  Or do we just assume he's capable of getting one anyway, but he'd go for this one first because it's easier? Either way, I think the key point here is the double becomes irrelevant the moment Desaix dies. Any rallying power Desaix has is most likely gone by then. Zofia is happy to be rid of him, and Rigel views him as a two time loser.

If the double isn't killed first, Jedah has that dracoshield, but can also get another if he needs/wants to.

52 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

But then where's Jedah get a dracoshield from when you do kill the double?

One playthrough I didn't kill the double in, I found a Dracoshield in the Astral Temple(not even in the Inner Sanctum either, a true stroke of luck). Make of that what you will.

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

He used the Shadow clone jutsu from Naruto. 

Or maybe Desaix just class changed away from Mechanist after he did some Outrealm travelling to Fateslandia.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 2:33 AM, Jotari said:

I found the generic level 1 Barons  on Marla's map are statistically identical to Desaix except for a 2 HP deficit on normal.
However it's also notable Desaix and his double were buffed by two hp on normal compared to OG Gaiden.
I think we have our answer.

4 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

I found the generic level 1 Barons  on Marla's map are statistically identical to Desaix except for a 2 HP deficit on normal.
However it's also notable Desaix and his double were buffed by two hp on normal compared to OG Gaiden.
I think we have our answer.

Aha! I think we have an answer.