Elise and Sakura: Saving the Siblings! V1.0 Demo now live!

sdgj1994

Hello all, and thank you very much in advance for taking the time to look at a little idea I had for my first ever fangame project! I was looking for somewhere to get my little idea out, and thought this would be the perfect place.

As you can tell by the title, this isn't your normal Fire Emblem game. Rather, I am using RPG Maker MV to create it. Right now I'm still on the free trial but I do intend to buy the full version once that runs out.

As you can also tell by the title, the main characters of this fangame are Elise and Sakura from Fire Emblem Fates, and as such the game initially takes place in that world. I say initially because my original idea included locations from other FE games and even other franchises, making it sort of like a crossover, but not really as most of the cast is still from Fates.

Now for the plot details, located in this spoiler:

Spoiler

The game takes place not too long after the end of the Revelation route. My original idea was that after said storyline, the Hoshidans and Nohrians (along with Corrin) hold a three-day festival to celebrate the unification of the three kingdoms (yes that includes Valla), the first day being held in Nohr. After the day's events and everyone goes to bed (Elise and Sakura having a sleepover in Elise's room), the two young princesses wake up next morning to find that everyone else has vanished. The culprit is soon revealed to be no other than...

Spoiler

Iago, who is somehow still alive after being supposedly killed at the Bottomless Canyon. I'll leave the details as to how he has returned a mystery for now, I don't plan for it to get explained in the game until near the end... (and who knows, said details could change.)

I do have a demo that is currently a work-in-progress, and the plot here ended up being a little different.

Spoiler

The intro is not finished but it just starts Elise and co in Castle Krakenburg. They find Xander injured in the throne room, and he says that a Faceless had attacked him in the castle (which is odd as Faceless were presumably extinct at this point). After defeating said Faceless, which turned out to be unusually strong for just a single Faceless, Xander reveals that his Siegfried was stolen by the monsters. The group offers to help, and Xander directs them to a newly found dungeon near the castle, which is swarming with monsters, including Mogalls, Magic Spirits and Faceless. Once they reach the end and defeat an even stronger Faceless, they recover Siegfried and return to the castle. They find Arthur who tells the group that the royals have disappeared, which leads them to believe that they were kidnapped. Sakura suggests asking her siblings for help, and the group reaches Hoshido with ease thanks to Corrin's access to the Astral Plane. After speaking to all the siblings (Ryoma being the last), the culprit (in the spoiler above) reveals themselves, and states that along with the Nohrian siblings (besides Elise of course) they have already captured Hinoka and Takumi and taken over most of Castle Shirasagi, altering its layout and causing monsters to spawn. Ryoma attempts to cut down the culprit but ends up getting captured himself. While venturing through the castle, the group finds Hinoka and Takumi, however they attack the group as they are being controlled by ___. After freeing them from mind control, the group finds their way out and confront the villain. After a long battle, the victory is short lived as ___ proceeds to envelop the surroundings in darkness with a powerful spell. This is where the demo would end.

Now for more techy stuff. I have managed to do everything myself up to this point (I've impressed myself, having never done this before), using most of the resources RPG Maker MV provides for visuals (aside from most enemies and bosses, which are easy to implement), and importing custom FE sound effects and music (most of which is from Fates and Warriors). There are several things I would like to do, however, or things that I wish I were better at, including importing custom portraits and map tiles, map design in general (I'm usually fine if I have something to base it on, for instance I have used chapters from Fates as templates in the WIP demo), and suitable battle mechanics (what I have at the moment works fine but isn't perfect. At some point I want to include equippable weapons and armour, and I have started this by making rings that give skills like Sol and Luna. Yes, I have worked many FE skills into this, and some work better than others!).

Thoughts and feedback would be appreciated! Its not often I get my work and ideas out into the open so I'm pleased with myself for even starting this post! Here's hoping this becomes a thing in the long run!

(If you're wondering why Celica is part of the party, she is only there right now as of the demo, to have a full party of four. I only intend for Elise and Sakura to be in the party at the start of the full version, and while Corrin will be an early recruitment, Celica won't be recruited until a bit later. There are other non-Fates FE characters in this but most of them are intended to be hidden surprises.)

As of 4/3/18, the version 1.0 demo is now live! Bear in mind it's still early days, but be sure to tell me what you think of things so far! Link:  

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XclqP8fa2w_jsloPKZpjjnT6EPArM98u

Screenshots: 

Spoiler

Picture23.png.358a7f5de44b5f90da41669c8c9cf197.pngPicture24.png.9c13605cbd44339ee1ea47d763c38e19.pngPicture9.pngPicture22.png.283981ee22a9b56e3c4857404104e820.png

Edited by sdgj1994
Edited screenshots, posted download link

4 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

How did you make the mugshots? They look good!

I simply used the built-in character creator in RPG Maker MV (I even did multiple expressions for cutscenes!). I originally intended to use their official mugshots but I have no idea how to get them implemented properly. I may just stick with these as they probably fit the aesthetic of the game more haha!

Sakura looks like Est...the hair color should probably be changed from bright pink to a deeper shade of red.

Leon looks like he's put on a few pounds; is there anyway to slim down the neck and face?

That Elise is quality. 

Cool project! Do you plan on releasing a playable version? 

Edited by Shoblongoo

32 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Sakura looks like Est...the hair color should probably be changed from bright pink to a deeper shade of red.

Leon looks like he's put on a few pounds; is there anyway to slim down the neck and face?

That Elise is quality. 

Cool project! Do you plan on releasing a playable version? 

There’s limited colours in the RPG Maker character creator, and for some characters it’s hard to find an exact match for their hair colour. I’ll see if there’s a closer match for Sakura, but if not then I suppose that will have to do. I mean, Brianna Knickerbocker does voice both Sakura and Est haha!

I’ll see what I can do about Leo’s face lol. Again, there’s limited options in the built-in character creator.

Thanks for the compliment about Elise though! I’m working on a playable demo at the moment but it’s not quite finished yet. Once I get it done and work out a way to release it to you all I will post it here.

Not bad, Elise is especially on point, though the choker thing is a little weird. Is there any way to make Sakura's hair a touch longer or is the next option on the creator too long? Just wanted to check as her hair is a little longer than that. Also, this may sound a little weird, but I recommend checking around in other games for music tracks as well to see if you find anything else that fits what you're going for - after playing Project X Zone I found myself wanting to include a couple tracks from there should I ever get around to such things, for example. Anyways, good work so far, looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Out of curiousity, what roles will the retainers play? Given the focus on Elise and Sakura I assume that Arthur, Effie, Subaki and Hana would have slightly heightened presence.

Right, I've had a little look at some of the character's faces/designs based on the feedback I have received. I have given Elise a new colour scheme that is more accurate to her real colour scheme. I think I forgot to do that before as Elise was the first character I made so I was still learning things XD

The choker is tied to this outfit so to remove it I would have to give her another outfit for her portrait. I tried another for both but it didnt seem to fit her as well for the overworld sprites. Which version of Elise's face does people prefer? At least here you get to see all her expressions too!

Sakura... oh Sakura. Your hair colour is so difficult to match. I also made it a bit longer, though I have kept the shorter version here for reference. Again, what do people prefer?

As for Leo, I'm not sure how much I can fix his face as there are only three options for face shape without getting into marks and bits of shade which Leo clearly doesn't have. So what's pictured is all it offers I'm afraid.

Elise 2.png

Elise 3.png

Sakura maybe.png

Leo maybe.png

Elise 3.png

For Elise: it has to be one of the faces with the big round purple eyes. Otherwise it doesn't look like Elise. So either 

• Row 1; Column 1
  • Row 1; Column 4
  • Row 3; Column 1
  • Row 4; Column 4

I personally prefer the ones in Row 3 where she has the bare shoulders and lacy collar around her neck, because the overall design has more of a "Nhorian" feel to it. Row 1 almost comes off like she's wearing a Hoshidan kimono. Doesn't feel appropriate for a princess of Nohr.

The middle face looks right for Leo. Its elongated in the right places and doesn't have any extra bulk around chin; that looks more like his natural face shape.

Top row is more Sakura's hair length, and right column is more her natural hair color. Top right portrait looks so much better. (for Sakura anyway--still thinking the original one with the short pink hair could pass for a  proper Est or Marcia)

But for the same reason I like the collar thing on the Elise design, it looks really weird on Sakura. Feels to Nhorian. Maybe take that robe the Elise portraits are wearing in row 1, replace the black/pink colorscheme with white/red, and throw it on the sakura portrait instead?

Edited by Shoblongoo

5 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

For Elise: it has to be one of the faces with the big round purple eyes. Otherwise it doesn't look like Elise. So either 

• Row 1; Column 1
  • Row 1; Column 4
  • Row 3; Column 1
  • Row 4; Column 4

I personally prefer the ones in Row 3 where she has the bare shoulders and lacy collar around her neck, because the overall design has more of a "Nhorian" feel to it. Row 1 almost comes off like she's wearing a Hoshidan kimono. Doesn't feel appropriate for a princess of Nohr.

The middle face looks right for Leo. He doesn't have any real bulk around chin; that looks more like his natural face shape.

Top row is more Sakura's hair length, and right column is more her natural hair color. Top right portrait looks so much better. (for Sakura anyway--still thinking the original one with the short pink hair could pass for a  proper Est or Marcia)

But for the same reason I like the collar thing on the Elise design, it looks really weird on Sakura. Feels to Nhorian.

Those multiple Elise faces are all just for expressions in cutscenes, the top left face is the one used mainly in things like the menu, etc. I'll see if I can get a better outfit for Sakura, and will change Leo's face accordingly. Thanks again!

What skills and stats will Elise and Sakura have?

What other Fates characters will be playable (aside from Corrin)? Niles? Effie? Saizo? Keaton?

4 hours ago, Corrobin said:

What skills and stats will Elise and Sakura have?

What other Fates characters will be playable (aside from Corrin)? Niles? Effie? Saizo? Keaton?

I intend for Elise to be like an offensive mage in this game as she lacks her usual horse mount, so she learns various spells. Sakura is mainly a support unit where she heals her allies and debuffs the enemy, but later gains access to some offensive specials. Every character in this game will have at least one special move unique to them that is learned at a high level, and they either deal a lot of damage to the enemy or really help out the team. Characters will also be able to learn skills they will not otherwise have access to via skill rings, which can be equipped and then moved around as much as you like.

Aside from Elise, Sakura and Corrin, the only other playable Fates characters I have planned for this as of right now are Effie, Arthur, Hana and Subaki, which, naturally, are Elise and Sakura's retainers, and in the upcoming demo they will not be playable.

Speaking of said demo, it is in good progress and I should hope to have it released by the end of the month.

4 hours ago, sdgj1994 said:

I intend for Elise to be like an offensive mage in this game as she lacks her usual horse mount, so she learns various spells. Sakura is mainly a support unit where she heals her allies and debuffs the enemy, but later gains access to some offensive specials. Every character in this game will have at least one special move unique to them that is learned at a high level, and they either deal a lot of damage to the enemy or really help out the team. Characters will also be able to learn skills they will not otherwise have access to via skill rings, which can be equipped and then moved around as much as you like.

Aside from Elise, Sakura and Corrin, the only other playable Fates characters I have planned for this as of right now are Effie, Arthur, Hana and Subaki, which, naturally, are Elise and Sakura's retainers, and in the upcoming demo they will not be playable.

Speaking of said demo, it is in good progress and I should hope to have it released by the end of the month.

Alright, then what roles do the Retainers and Corrin play?

I can make guesses...

Effie-Tank/Physical attacker but slow

Arthur-Physical attacker with decent defenses

Hana-Glass cannon physical attacker

Subaki-Anti-mage physical attacker

Corrin- Well rounded unit

Woah, I only just noticed Celica. That's kind of awkward.

So basically this is kind of like Project X Zone but with Fire Emblem…sounds good to me.

On a separate note, have any of you played the RPG Maker Fes on the 3DS? Trying to decide if it's worth buying as it's currently the only way I can do an RPG Maker since this is a shared comp and my folks don't like me downloading anything.

7 hours ago, Corrobin said:

Alright, then what roles do the Retainers and Corrin play?

I can make guesses...

Effie-Tank/Physical attacker but slow

Arthur-Physical attacker with decent defenses

Hana-Glass cannon physical attacker

Subaki-Anti-mage physical attacker

Corrin- Well rounded unit

Pretty much spot on, and Corrin can use both physical and magical attacks decently. I can already see that I could do with some more mages in my roster haha! Although I do intend for Elise and Sakura to be permanent party members (they are in the title after all!) so perhaps Elise might be the only mage you need, unless I put one in with more physical bulk as Elise is physically squishy, as we know. I'll give it some thought.

2 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Woah, I only just noticed Celica. That's kind of awkward.

So basically this is kind of like Project X Zone but with Fire Emblem…sounds good to me.

On a separate note, have any of you played the RPG Maker Fes on the 3DS? Trying to decide if it's worth buying as it's currently the only way I can do an RPG Maker since this is a shared comp and my folks don't like me downloading anything.

I've never played Project X Zone but I have heard of it and know what it is. So I guess you're kind of right as it does currently feature some non-Fates FE characters (though most are only as easter eggs as of now). What I could do is instead of my original plan of featuring some other non-FE franchises, is to keep it purely FE based and have the main antagonist seeking the power of the villains of other FE games, such as Duma/Jedah, the Demon King/Lyon, Nergal, Loptyr and Grima (these are but a few thoughts of mine), and as such other non-Fates FE characters will join the party. Though I may need to look into the lore of the pre-Awakening titles a bit more as I have not personally played them haha, but I do have some knowledge at least.

I don't believe I have, I'm afraid. And it's unfortunate that you don't have your own PC. Apparently I could release this in a mobile format but I don't know how that will go down, especially for just a demo. I wish I could be of more help here, sorry :/

5 hours ago, sdgj1994 said:

Pretty much spot on, and Corrin can use both physical and magical attacks decently. I can already see that I could do with some more mages in my roster haha! Although I do intend for Elise and Sakura to be permanent party members (they are in the title after all!) so perhaps Elise might be the only mage you need, unless I put one in with more physical bulk as Elise is physically squishy, as we know. I'll give it some thought.

Well, you do have Celica, who I'm assuming is a mage/physical attacker hybrid.

10 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Well, you do have Celica, who I'm assuming is a mage/physical attacker hybrid.

That is correct, and Corrin can also use magic but compared to Elise and Celica she's not as strong in the magic department.

I'd like to take this time to inform you all of another update on the demo. I only have one more section to go before what I want to do for it gameplay-wise is finished. Then I will see if any mechanics or whatever need touching up before I finalise version 1 of the demo. I know for one that one of the FE skills I've put in is really broken! So I'll either have to nerf said skill or increase the price of its skill ring, or both.

Spoiler

The skill in question is Rend Heaven. It wipes out tough bosses in two hits! But as it's based on physical attack and not magical it may be less effective on mage bosses. Luna is also pretty effective so its skill ring price may have to increase a bit.

9 hours ago, sdgj1994 said:

I don't believe I have, I'm afraid. And it's unfortunate that you don't have your own PC. Apparently I could release this in a mobile format but I don't know how that will go down, especially for just a demo. I wish I could be of more help here, sorry :/

Eh, you're good, it's my own fault for not buying a laptop by now. How would releasing it in mobile format even work? Would you have to run it through an emulator or something?

1 minute ago, SoulWeaver said:

Eh, you're good, it's my own fault for not buying a laptop by now. How would releasing it in mobile format even work? Would you have to run it through an emulator or something?

They can be expensive, I know mine is haha!

Not sure, I just know its possible through RPG Maker MV. I only planned on doing a Windows release anyway.

So I assume that the spells and skills will be various weapons and skills from FE, right? Like, Elise will have Fire, Elfire, Excalibur, Thunder, Sakura will have Heal, Mend, Physic, Iron Bow, Hana will have Killing Edge, Iron Katana, Steel Katana, Wo Dao, etc.

2 hours ago, Corrobin said:

So I assume that the spells and skills will be various weapons and skills from FE, right? Like, Elise will have Fire, Elfire, Excalibur, Thunder, Sakura will have Heal, Mend, Physic, Iron Bow, Hana will have Killing Edge, Iron Katana, Steel Katana, Wo Dao, etc.

For the most part, yes. I do plan to include weapons at some point but they are not in the current demo. Bronze, Iron, Steel and Silver weapons would be included of course as well as some other weapons which come with added effects; for instance, Brave weapons would come with an ability which allows you to attack twice like in the main series, but here it would come with an MP cost (though it wouldn’t be too much). I don’t know if I will be able to implement weapon effectiveness or not.

Spells of each element will have 3 tiers at least (for instance, Fire, Elfire and Bolganone), heck, maybe even a fourth if I can fit it in the levels (this would be Arcfire), but so far only the basic and strongest form are present. As with weapons there will be other spells with unique effects, but again it needs some thought. As for the weapon triangle I have included the magic one to some extent but as for the traditional one I don’t know whether that will happen. As far as I know enemies don’t equip weapons in RPG Maker.

Skills like Sol, Luna, etc. can be learned either through level up or by equipping certain items called skill rings. They require MP to activate and I have tried to make them function as they do in the main series, and some have turned out better than others. Aside from the skill rings there are other equippable armour items which help improve a character’s stats.

I have a general idea of what to do with all this but it’s just one big work in progress haha. If you haven’t already checked the demo out the link is in the OP. There are some minor issues that have already been discovered by a friend of mine and they will be fixed in the next update.

Hey guys, just wanted to inform you of a few things, mostly little updates and stuff that I have been working on and trying out. For the most part, I've taken a little break from working on this project, mostly because I'm burned out for the days of effort that I put in on the demo, and I'm also waiting to hear what people think of it. I've still had some ideas going around though, like what to include in the future, etc.

What I'm thinking of implementing next are the following:

• Effie, Arthur, Hana and Subaki as playable characters.
  • Equippable weapons. At least the basic sort will be put in for now.
  • The next playable world, which will also change the point in which Celica joins the group. Celica was only there at the start in the demo so there would always be a full party for it. And of course, the next world will be based on Shadows of Valentia.
  • I would also like to find a way to have Elise and Sakura unable to be switched out of the party. It is their game after all, it wouldn't make sense if they weren't there all the time!

I do have an idea of what will go down in the SoV portion of the game. Areas and characters from both Alm's and Celica's sides will be encountered. I just need to plan how to piece it all together in-game. Let's just say it will take some time.

While that goes on, however, I've made some new portraits for upcoming characters. If you like surprises, I advise you don't click on this spoiler. It contains some characters from not only SoV, but other FE worlds I plan to include!

Spoiler

5aa26fe9a82a9_SneakyPeaks.png.4a208ab4dde229a32c9b66b1608569fb.png

One more thing to wrap things up. I've always wondered how the actual FE portraits would look in this, and I managed to import some! Though, I only tried Elise and Sakura for the time being as, well, they are the title characters after all!

Spoiler

Picture25.png.5eaa70b7ccfba3ea2b02258565ccee76.png

While they may look fine here, they're far from perfect in the cutscenes. I matched the expressions to how I initially mimicked them using the built-in character creator. Getting the portraits to be the same size as the created ones wasn't easy, and even then other bits cut through in the game due to them not being positioned properly. This will probably never be implemented as it requires a LOT of work to be perfect (and think of all the characters I would have to do!), but it was certainly cool to try out. I also attempted to insert Celica's SoV portraits in but they were overall trickier due to their different size.

Anyway, that's all from me for now, and I hope to update you all again soon!