Funny examples of Gameplay Story Segregation?

On 3/14/2018 at 12:45 AM, Nanima said:

It's worse in Japanese, since the younger siblings never refer to their older siblings as anything but "big brother/sister" (like Kamui-neesan).

With Takumi having lines like "What would mother think, if she could see us now?" and Leo saying stuff like "What are you doing to your little brother... just kidding." during intimate moments (while having an canon incest crush on Camilla) I think this one is only partly down to developer's laziness and very much intentional on the whole...ugh

tumblr_nr8tj5oz4T1rw4qh3o1_1280.jpg

Reminds me of this.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leo lifting up Takumi (as a ballistican/Kinshi knight)

Anthony not being able to kill Corrin despite having possible weapon advantage and villagers being op in the 3ds era. 

Elise dying to an attack that would've done 0 damage to Corrin in Birthright.

When Sully says "Where should I stab ya?" while wielding an axe.

Oh, out of character? (Because Sully totally would stab an enemy with an axe if she knew how.) Hmm...

Edited by Lord_Brand

24 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

When Sully says "Where should I stab ya?" while wielding an axe.

Oh, out of character? (Because Sully totally would stab an enemy with an axe if she knew how.) Hmm...

Well, some of axes look like halberds, which can function similarly to lances in real life...

She could also just stab them with the handle, which despite being a blunt weapon, has the ability to pierce someone (depending on the factors at play, of course).

2 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

Not so much out of character, but as a role, if Azura’s a singer, why does she seem to only know one song?

I presume she does know other songs. But "Lost in Thoughts all alone" is the only song with any abilities.

When Emmeryn falls off a cliff, none of the mages think to use a wind spell to break her fall. Come to think of it, maybe that was her plan to escape, and no-one got the hint.

When various Fates characters sacrifice themselves in Fates, no-one thinks to use a healing staff (or silence staff, in Flora's case).

In the prologue for Echoes, the children celebrate with Mycen after he wins the battle... even if some of them lost and had to leave.

Lyn and Chrom, despite being told that the person they are being ordered by is a professional tactician, still give an in-depth tutorial on the most basic of tactics. Lyn takes the backseat driving to a whole new level by outright wrenching control from you throughout her campaign!

Edited by The_antithesis

22 minutes ago, The_antithesis said:

When Emmeryn falls off a cliff, none of the mages think to use a wind spell to break her fall. Come to think of it, maybe that was her plan to escape, and no-one got the hint.

When various Fates characters sacrifice themselves in Fates, no-one thinks to use a healing staff (or silence staff, in Flora's case).

In the prologue for Echoes, the children celebrate with Mycen after he wins the battle... even if some of them died.

Lyn and Chrom, despite being told that the person they are being ordered by is a professional tactician, still give an in-depth tutorial on the most basic of tactics. Lyn takes the backseat driving to a whole new level by outright wrenching control from you throughout her campaign!

There have been no examples in the series where wind magic has been used for purposes other than combat. Your mages are most likely wielding tomes built for military purposes, meaning they would have done more harm than good if they tried to help Emmeryn. Also, she never gave a hint that she intended to be saved.

Is a healing staff of any use to dead characters? (I haven't played fates, thought, so I don't know the exact context of these sacrifices).

The children characters don't die, they simply get knocked down and leave the battlefield.

Lyn only talks to you in a few chapters, not all. The rest of the tutorial information either comes from other units piping up or just the game itself telling you how mechanics work. Also, I always saw the conversations in Awakening making reasonable sense in-universe (such as Lissa commenting that she can't fight, but has the ability to heal. Frederick and Chrom stating that they shouldn't let Robin do everything when mentioning the auto-move function that no one ever used. Chrom mentions they should keep their distance when certain foes to describe the enemy range button, etc.) but to each their own.

3 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Is a healing staff of any use to dead characters? (I haven't played fates, thought, so I don't know the exact context of these sacrifices).

They weren't dead yet, just fatally injured. Between the injury and death only one time did the healers do anything.Gunther stabbed himself in Revelations and was healed back. No one thought to do the same for other characters in Fates. This also applies to some of the  near-death-but-still-alive deaths in Echoes where it really didn't make much sense either

Edited by Arcphoenix

On 3/15/2018 at 2:11 PM, CyberController said:

Azura can sing in cutscenes even when you’ve reclassed her to anything else.

Wouldn't that kind of make more sense? An opera singer doesn't completely lose the ability to sing because they switched careers to a chiropractor.

On 3/17/2018 at 3:44 PM, Arcphoenix said:

They weren't dead yet, just fatally injured. Between the injury and death only one time did the healers do anything.Gunther stabbed himself in Revelations and was healed back. No one thought to do the same for other characters in Fates. This also applies to some of the  near-death-but-still-alive deaths in Echoes where it really didn't make much sense either

I always kind of figured there was a PoNR where the person was in such bad shape that they couldn't be saved even with the seemingly quite comprehensive magic in FE. Don't know the Gunter scene though, so I can't speak on inconsistencies with a game.

10 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

Wouldn't that kind of make more sense? An opera singer doesn't completely lose the ability to sing because they switched careers to a chiropractor.

I always kind of figured there was a PoNR where the person was in such bad shape that they couldn't be saved even with the seemingly quite comprehensive magic in FE. Don't know the Gunter scene though, so I can't speak on inconsistencies with a game.

Then why can't my Azura sing when she's a Great Lord?

(and I imagine an opera singer specifically would quickly lose the ability to sing on such a level if they swapped jobs. Because it takes a tonne of physical body building to be an opera singer).

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Then why can't my Azura sing when she's a Great Lord?

(and I imagine an opera singer specifically would quickly lose the ability to sing on such a level if they swapped jobs. Because it takes a tonne of physical body building to be an opera singer).

That, IMO, would be the weirder example. And, very true on the opera singer. Maybe should've picked a less physically taxing example, but I guess what I was going for is that you don't suddenly lose the ability to do something and gain it back based on job, which I guess, if no one's mentioned it, could be mine for the topic.

Virion can shout "Shall I make you... famous?" at Marth of all people in the DLC chapters and / or Einherjar battles.

Let that sink in for a moment.

"I must retreat!" says Oboro... after having her skull split apart by a giant axe.
And any other enemy quote to that effect.

13 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

Well, to be fair it's a sound plan. If she kills Chrom, then Grima possessed Robin can't.
Checkmate badguys.

Except Grima doesn't really need to kill Chrom to achieve his goals. He just needs the Fire Emblem and gemstones (or like not as he revives anyway in the end).

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Except Grima doesn't really need to kill Chrom to achieve his goals. He just needs the Fire Emblem and gemstones (or like not as he revives anyway in the end).

I was mostly having a joke about the fact Lucina's journey back in time was supposed to be to (apart from stopping Grima) to prevent Chrom's death if possible, despite the inexplicable fact she can kill him.

You can make a team in Heroes of 3 possessed Takumis and one Corrin. He/She will still come back in one piece.

Healers in the main series don't attempt to use Staves as clubs to defend themselves, inefficient as it may be

Edited by Arcphoenix

31 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

Healers in the main series don't attempt to use Staves as clubs to defend themselves, inefficient as it may be

Not sure if this what you mean but Healers in RD can counter with their. Though I need to mention that you'll mostly get "no damage" moments when you're facing non mage units.