Funny examples of Gameplay Story Segregation?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Astram's somewhat infamous inability to recognize Midia in enemy phase, so he's outright capable of killing his lover.
Or Navarre's quote "“...Nay, I'll turn no blade of mine on a woman. If you're willing to pay for my services with your life, then consider yourself the high bidder. My sword is yours."when recruited by Caeda. Despite the fact he was clearly just chasing Julian & Lena, the latter of which is a woman.
I think off memory Matthis somehow fails to recognize Lena as well. But don't quote me on that because I'm not sure.
That's just some of the ones I can think of from Shadow Dragon alone.

1 hour ago, Mad-manakete said:

I think off memory Matthis somehow fails to recognize Lena as well. But don't quote me on that because I'm not sure.

That's well known among players that such a thing (for example, that one with Astram that you mentioned) is sometimes called "Matthis Syndrome".

To recruit Sheena you have to not kill any of her weak tier 1 soldiers that were drafted into the war. However, in the original game, once you've successfully got Sheena on your side, you're free to do whatever you want to the poor draftees. Including attacking them with Sheena! So inuniverse, Sheena decides to side with Marth because he showed mercy to her countrymen. Then she suddenly needlessly slaughters those very countrymen.

The fact that you can grind in Birthright and Revelation creates some pretty humorous moments.
Like when Leo, in Birthright's Chapter 18, says that none of the Hoshidan soldiers can even hope to compete with Xander when someone absolutely destroyed him back in Chapter 12. It's like "dude, what are you on about? We totally kicked his butt earlier."

Or the sole fact that you never need the Omega Yato to kill Anankos, rendering the pain of convincing the siblings to join you in Revelation utterly pointless.

And then there's of course the fact that neither Laslow nor Selena acknowledge fighting each other. Laslow even has the need to introduce himself to her... for some reason. Though I do think it's perfectly in-character for Selena to smack him around with a sword, it's funny nonetheless. 
Let's not forget that Ryoma will not have qualms attacking and killing Sakura or Takumi, again without acknowledging who the two are... and that the both of them can easily defeat him if given the investment. Strongest warrior of Hoshido my behind.

Edited by DragonFlames

13 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

That's well known among players that such a thing (for example, that one with Astram that you mentioned) is sometimes called "Matthis Syndrome".

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot what they called it, but do remember the name now it's mentioned. I just remember Astram as the one I've spent the most time laughing over.

Samson trying to kill Sheena in FE12 is, in my opinion, even more egregious than most of the other Matthis syndrome cases in the Archanea series, because while I can sort of wrap my head around Astram not recognizing Midia (Paladins use helmets in combat, after all), Matthis panicking and throwing javelins at everything that moves, Wendell just trying to defend himself (even though he clearly attacks first most of the time) and Navarre being insane, Samson just has no excuses.

The only people in the throne room are himself and Sheena (so it's not like he could've confused her for an Archanean General or something), he knows Sheena, Sheena knows him, they're in very good terms (heck, it's made very clear that they're in love), neither of them are established to have mental problems, Samson's a level-headed, experienced warrior... yet Samson will gleefully try to murder Sheena if she doesn't speak to him inmediately after being recruited by Marth. I just cannot think of any reason to excuse such behavior. Not even a lame, easily countered reason, like the ones I came up with in the first paragraph. I've got nothing.

Seeing how they fixed Sheena being able to kill her own troops in the remake, it's rather baffling that they'd forget about this. Was it so hard to make it so Samson would turn blue at the same time as Sheena?

I'm not saying any of the other Matthis syndrome cases aren't stupid, they very much are, but this is even more so.

It's predictable, but Yarne becoming a war hero or an overall solid unit despite the fact that his main character focus is about how he's a coward (though one with good reason to be so) is worth a chuckle or two. I also find it funny that hid personality is either way off from his performance as a unit, or strangely fitting, as in my experience he's either an extremely competent unit, or a very poor one, depending on how kind the child mechanics are to him.

On a meta level, Kellam is constantly forgotten about in-universe, but he's actually a very solid knight and can become an excellent thief in-game, meaning he ironically shouldn't be ignored by the player.

I would also say units that suffer from Matthis Syndrome, but I find those examples more frustrating and annoying than funny.

...that mozu/silas support where story Mozu is having her "...I'll never be a great fighter like you! I should just give up" moment, and story silas has to give her the "i believe in you and i'll help you!" speech.

...when gameplay silas is a lvl 16 benched cavalier.  And gameplay Mozu is a capped out dreadfighter who can one-round the entire royal family. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

Roy saying he doesn't consider a battle  a victory if someone dies if you let someone die every chapter in the game is especially hilarious. He wins a war and considers himself to have lost every battle. 

Another one:
Awakening summer scramble map.
"Naked skin can't stop steel," Chrom says.
Elsewhere on the map, Olivia, Tharja and Henry are tanking axes and blades like nobody's business.

On 3/2/2018 at 4:17 AM, DragonFlames said:

Let's not forget that Ryoma will not have qualms attacking and killing Sakura or Takumi, again without acknowledging who the two are... and that the both of them can easily defeat him if given the investment. Strongest warrior of Hoshido my behind.

Well, he's just trying to make sure he doesn't have any competitors for the throne.

The fact that you can grind in Birthright and Revelation creates some pretty humorous moments.
Like when Leo, in Birthright's Chapter 18, says that none of the Hoshidan soldiers can even hope to compete with Xander when someone absolutely destroyed him back in Chapter 12. It's like "dude, what are you on about? We totally kicked his butt earlier."

They should have given  you an alternate ending if you had defeated Garon or Xander in that level.

"Problem Solved:Game Over"

Edited by CyberController

3 hours ago, CyberController said:

Hans has a Chakram on him, despite him being a Berserker who can't use daggers.

Did he have a crush on Kagero, and was planning to get her a gift or something?

And Iago has the Hagakure Blade.
Iago and Hans secretly Hoshidans confirmed?

3 hours ago, CyberController said:

They should have given  you an alternate ending if you had defeated Garon or Xander in that level.

"Problem Solved:Game Over"

Oh god, that would be hilarious!

Kind of like Tales of Zestiria's bad ending if you manage to kill the final boss early.

14 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

And Iago has the Hagakure Blade.
Iago and Hans secretly Hoshidans confirmed?

Oh god, that would be hilarious!

Reveal hidden contents

Kind of like Tales of Zestiria's bad ending if you manage to kill the final boss early.

What if Iago and Hans are simply playing both sides for sake of war profiteering? It wouldn't be the first time someone deliberately extended a war.

Or the sole fact that you never need the Omega Yato to kill Anankos, rendering the pain of convincing the siblings to join you in Revelation utterly pointless.

It's amusing that you can change classes to something that can't use swords.

"So, this legendary weapon chose me? Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather be a maid to seduce my adopted brothers, I mean, to help my team".

11 minutes ago, CyberController said:

It's amusing that you can change classes to something that can't use swords.

"So, this legendary weapon chose me? Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather be a maid to seduce my adopted brothers, I mean, to help my team".

Haha, yeah. It's like "Yato? Nah, don't need that crap. Give me that Fire tome instead!"

The fight with Basilio and Walhart. The former gets doubled despite the fact that he's just fast enough to avoid a doubling (21 vs. 25). And there's the fact that both of them have a critical chance of 0%, yet both of them get a critical hit on the other anyway. Also, Lucina's saving Chrom from an assassin that likely isn't threatening enough to warrant a dual guard.

I'm surprised no one mentioned that one moment in Conquest Chapter 25.

Ryoma is at the angriest he's ever been since he believes that the Nohrian army has murdered Hinoka thanks to Iago throwing to him her lance. He calls Corrin a "murdering fiend," and is about to ready to slice the living heck out of him/her. You'd expect a man so angry like that he will likely attack from the get-go when the map begins, but nope, he doesn't. That's not even the most memorable part. Want to know where the real segregation kicks in?

"Prince Ryoma will wait patiently for his revenge."

"Patiently"? Don't make me laugh. Ryoma was anything BUT patient in that very scene right before the map began.

Edited by Erureido

28 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

The fight with Basilio and Walhart. The former gets doubled despite the fact that he's just fast enough to avoid a doubling (21 vs. 25). And there's the fact that both of them have a critical chance of 0%, yet both of them get a critical hit on the other anyway. Also, Lucina's saving Chrom from an assassin that likely isn't threatening enough to warrant a dual guard.

Well, in the original timeline, the assassin still failed to kill Chrom. He was out to bed rest (if I recall correctly). So presumably the assassin managed to get a crit and put Chrom at too low HP to field in the following map.

4 hours ago, Erureido said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned that one moment in Conquest Chapter 25.

Ryoma is at the angriest he's ever been since he believes that the Nohrian army has murdered Hinoka thanks to Iago throwing to him her lance. He calls Corrin a "murdering fiend," and is about to ready to slice the living heck out of him/her. You'd expect a man so angry like that he will likely attack from the get-go when the map begins, but nope, he doesn't. That's not even the most memorable part. Want to know where the real segregation kicks in?

"Prince Ryoma will wait patiently for his revenge."

"Patiently"? Don't make me laugh. Ryoma was anything BUT patient in that very scene right before the map began.

I like to think he's doing something dumb while waiting.

"Man, I just summoned Robin! Saizo, look at this!"

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well, in the original timeline, the assassin still failed to kill Chrom. He was out to bed rest (if I recall correctly). So presumably the assassin managed to get a crit and put Chrom at too low HP to field in the following map.

But if that was the case, I'd expect the assassin to not be so weak that a Chrom that's close to reaching level 20 unprompted would practically shrug off a non-critical hit.

16 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

But if that was the case, I'd expect the assassin to not be so weak that a Chrom that's close to reaching level 20 unprompted would practically shrug off a non-critical hit.

Not going to lie, Chrom was once so RNG-blessed in one of my playthroughs that the Assassin would have done zero damage to him when he was level 17 unpromoted. So even with a crit, the Dual Guard was entirely unnecessary.