Base building/my castle in fe switch?

Personally I would love to have a base building mode in FE switch because i love games where you can build and design your own base to be at. 

Do you think a My Castle or a new base building mode should be in the game? Do you have any ideas for it?

Only if they aren't needlessly convoluted about it. The new lord is probably a royal so we don't need dimension hopping to explain how he can build his castle town.

If they aren't being silly about it I can see it as a fun little feature like it was in Fates. Some more customization features would be nice. 

It would be cool to have a base building system that was a little more deep than what we got in Fates, but wasn't intrusive (MGSV comes to mind with the FOB feature that ended up more annoying than fun).

Instead of just putting down shops and etc., you would actually build fortifications and lay the terrain to be effective. You would be able to attack other players' bases, and if you were successful you'd earn...something. Maybe some gold, or an item if you won a certain number of times. Stat boosters, perhaps?

If the defending army won, though, you'd lose some gold. That would mean there's actually a risk factor in attacking bases between maps instead of it being a silly minigame with no real consequence other than costing time.

Rather than stocking it with your own units from the story, you would choose a set of your army's "generic" units (so archers, mercs, soldiers, what have you). There would be a point based system where strong units like Wyverns cost more to deploy than weak units like Soldiers so you couldn't just fill your base with god-kings and call it a day.

On the other hand, if you're the defending army and your defenders win or lose you gain or lose points toward your rank. This way the defense system doesn't count toward actual campaign gameplay, since as the player your control over the outcome only extends to the fortifications. You get what amounts to street cred for having a good base, but you won't be punished if your defenses are weak because you just want to play the main game.

Most importantly, you wouldn't return to your base between maps because that created a huge disconnect between the chapters of Fates (and I think is part of the reason people think so poorly of Fates' story, besides the bad writing in general). You would have the option to through the main menu: Start game, Choose File, and then it branches to either "Base Builder" or "Continue Story."

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

They better make Fire Emblem: Outer Heaven with this feature, otherwise they can suck my growth rates.

Okay in all seriousness, as long as they don't make the story behind it stupid, I'm fine with it.  Though I would like for it to be a bit meatier than it was in Fates.  Give me more trees, walls (I mean actual walls that I can place about, though with limits obviously), hazards, waterways, and forts.  That's right, I want forts within my base fort.  It'd be even cooler if you could make a limited amount of generic dudes of a specific class spawn from them on certain turns; it'd almost be like a lite version of GBA hacking.

4 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

It would be cool to have a base building system that was a little more deep than what we got in Fates, but wasn't intrusive (MGSV comes to mind with the FOB feature that ended up more annoying than fun).

I eventually started actively setting Steam to offline mode while playing MGSV to avoid the FOB stuff.

I hate getting my units taken away from me, and it'd really grind my gears if that could happen in a Fire Emblem game.

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I hate getting my units taken away from me, and it'd really grind my gears if that could happen in a Fire Emblem game.

I edited my post with an idea for what the base system could look like and made sure to avoid this. I think "oops got stabbed in the chest, better retreat" is stupid so instead just fill your base with disposable generics!

I'd like it if over time we could fortify our kingdom and maybe set up little shops to help with the war effort, but they better not have a stupid reason like outrealms for it. We are usually playing as either the crown royal or someone very close to them so we should have access to land and be able to change it to an extent without relying on outrealms as a reason.

I wouldn't mind that.

4 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Instead of just putting down shops and etc., you would actually build fortifications and lay the terrain to be effective. You would be able to attack other players' bases, and if you were successful you'd earn...something. Maybe some gold, or an item if you won a certain number of times. Stat boosters, perhaps?

If the defending army won, though, you'd lose some gold. That would mean there's actually a risk factor in attacking bases between maps instead of it being a silly minigame with no real consequence other than costing time.

Rather than stocking it with your own units from the story, you would choose a set of your army's "generic" units (so archers, mercs, soldiers, what have you). There would be a point based system where strong units like Wyverns cost more to deploy than weak units like Soldiers so you couldn't just fill your base with god-kings and call it a day.

On the other hand, if you're the defending army and your defenders win or lose you gain or lose points toward your rank. This way the defense system doesn't count toward actual campaign gameplay, since as the player your control over the outcome only extends to the fortifications. You get what amounts to street cred for having a good base, but you won't be punished if your defenses are weak because you just want to play the main game.

Most importantly, you wouldn't return to your base between maps because that created a huge disconnect between the chapters of Fates (and I think is part of the reason people think so poorly of Fates' story, besides the bad writing in general). You would have the option to through the main menu: Start game, Choose File, and then it branches to either "Base Builder" or "Continue Story."

This sounds like it could be a big multiplayer feature. Or just have it as a separate mode altogether.

Some updates I like to see is:

-Restock the unique weapons Killer, Brave etc heck even the stat boosters after a certain amount of time passed (I hated that in Fates once I bought all the unique stuff they'll never bring them back again that needs to change). 

-Accessory Shop adds more clothing/swimsuits (I can safely say after the big backlash Fates localization got I'm certain outfits won't get removed again. Outside Swimsuits I like to see characters fight it casual wear and other unique clothes even a pallet Armor change would be awesome!).

-Hot Springs also boosts support points(*sees Tap Battle reward* yeah no doubt this'll come back. I think besides whatever new Skinship mode we'll get to do I think making our character get more than one character to get support points with would be nice of course it would be for same sex or spousal stuff).

-More Terrain fields 

-Increase Building limit

Could be interesting. I'm debating if it should be in the main game, or as an optional thing like @YouSquiddinMe suggested.

I think this could be most effectively done with a mercenary protagonist, as a way to nod off to the Greil Mercenaries base that we see in PoR. It makes sense for someone that's a mercenary to have a base/HQ.

I like the feature, but storywise I don't see how that works (but oh well, they are many things I love and doesn't make any sense like Paralogues and online interactions).

Yeah, I would like My Castle to be a separate feature for online interactivity and making the towns/villages do the job of shops (and many others buildings) in the main campaign (ala Echoes, but with Fates My Castle type of view instead of the visual novel style). 

10 hours ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Some updates I like to see is:

-Restock the unique weapons Killer, Brave etc heck even the stat boosters after a certain amount of time passed (I hated that in Fates once I bought all the unique stuff they'll never bring them back again that needs to change). 

I 2nd this BIG TIME. Awakening had shops at a certain point where you could get unlimitted Killer weapons and I think Brave weapons as well if not than there was always the Bonus Teams you could summon and buy their stuff from many of whom did have Brave, Silver and Killer weapons. So to go from that to only I think 3 killer Lance, Axe and Swords for the entirety of Fates was a major let down. 

While we're on the topic of weapons FIX THE FORGING SYSTEM! Forging while not a necessity in Fire Emblem is something that I have always had loads of fun with. I especially loved it in the Tellius games where control over what stat got improved and how much was all in the hands of the player and on top of that. You could have your forged weapon be any bizarre color you wanted, that I especially miss as I think there should be SOMETHING to visually distinguish my forged iron axe from all the other iron axes. Just return to the system you had in the Tellius games IS or Shadow Dragon's for that matter, please. And please, please, PLEASE bring back the Weapon Color feature of forging.

Ok, back on topic. I think that there should be a base or fortress BUT like has already been mentioned by others I do not like how it was integrated into the game or the world. And how it was handled in game felt more like it was dragging aspects from Life and Farming simulator games than anything that had a purpose in a strategy game. If there is another 3D castle I would say that there SHOULD be some shops,  a forge and I would like to see the arena again. BUT only if it is handled similarly to either the 1) FE4's Castle Arena where there's a set number of opponents yielding you gold and EXP 2) GBA arenas where you get gold and EXP, 3) the arena in I think it was New Mystery of the Emblem where you had to pay gold to use it even though it was part of your base's functions.

If IS can add more connection to the main story or the world, then maybe.

The problem with Fates' MyCastle is that it was a separate entity from the main world. It was only mentioned once in the main story, and then everyone just ignores that it exists.

My idea situation would be something like DQ Builders or BotW's Tarrey Town. During the story you come upon a ruined city, that you build up and support it throughout the main story. With quests (paralogues?) to get big features.

Then it can be talked about in the main story!

I could honestly care less if its "connected to the story" since I love this feature plus connecting with other players! and its realistic to have a base to go back to after a tough battle to chill, stock up and go back into battle. Like have a main customizable castle/town on the map that's heavily guarded when your off doing main story, paralouges, skirmishes etc if your further away from from your base on the continent use a Warp Powder like mcguffin to teleport army in and out. That's why I like the Fates method where you have everything on the main select screen to choose where to go next, DLC stuff or do invasion missions (which need to be utilized better and not be limited btw) simple and sweet.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn