Should I use 2nd seals and children during a main story playthrough.

Children and 2nd sealing only really become a pain on Lunatic.

If you plan on not grinding, you might still be able to get away with 2nd sealing them once.  Though then you'll have to deal with them needing to use dull bronze weapons against promoted units, and will probably need to exert more effort than usual in bringing them up to speed with the rest of your team.  And remember that once a unit reaches level 10 promoted, they can reclass into a different promoted class.

Also, the internal level doesn't go as high on Normal or Hard, so you can gain experience more easily, which helps tremendously with 2nd sealing shenanigans.

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

Children and 2nd sealing only really become a pain on Lunatic.

If you plan on not grinding, you might still be able to get away with 2nd sealing them once.  Though then you'll have to deal with them needing to use dull bronze weapons against promoted units, and will probably need to exert more effort than usual in bringing them up to speed with the rest of your team.  And remember that once a unit reaches level 10 promoted, they can reclass into a different promoted class.

Also, the internal level doesn't go as high on Normal or Hard, so you can gain experience more easily, which helps tremendously with 2nd sealing shenanigans.

Really? I thought the higher the difficulty the higher the internal level scales.

what do you mean by a pain?

3 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Really? I thought the higher the difficulty the higher the internal level scales.

what do you mean by a pain?

I was suggesting that higher difficulties impose higher internal level limits.  I was comparing Normal and Hard both to Lunatic, because Lunatic's internal level cap is significantly higher and it also imposes other penalties on experience gain.

And the pain I mentioned is twofold.  First, there's the pain of acquiring the children; almost all the paralogues will hand you enemies who are supremely higher levels than the unit you want to acquire, and sometimes are often significantly stronger than you unless you are far into the game.  Then you have the before mentioned problem with experience gain, where your units' experience eventually slows to a crawl even when demoted if you reclass them too often.

But I was only referring to Lunatic in that case.  Again, Normal and Hard are significantly easier; Lunatic is just an unbalanced mess that will screw you over at every turn.

Just now, Ertrick36 said:

I was suggesting that higher difficulties impose higher internal level limits.  I was comparing Normal and Hard both to Lunatic, because Lunatic's internal level cap is significantly higher and it also imposes other penalties on experience gain.

And the pain I mentioned is twofold.  First, there's the pain of acquiring the children; almost all the paralogues will hand you enemies who are supremely higher levels than the unit you want to acquire, and sometimes are often significantly stronger than you unless you are far into the game.  Then you have the before mentioned problem with experience gain, where your units' experience eventually slows to a crawl even when demoted if you reclass them too often.

But I was only referring to Lunatic in that case.  Again, Normal and Hard are significantly easier; Lunatic is just an unbalanced mess that will screw you over at every turn.

Ohhh okay... I'm dumb :p

man if lunatic is this bad I'd hate to imagine Lunatic+

3 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

What characters are you planning on using?

Haven't nailed that down yet. I've just started planning. Hence why I wanted to know if children and 2nd seals are viable/worth using in a main story playthrough.

4 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I'll tell you, nothing is worse than having to mire-snipe a bunch of enemies with 50+ HP using a Cordelia that has a very low magic stat.

I hate rescuing Nowi's kid as it is, but that level on Lunatic is just torture.  It's like you have to overlevel in order to get any kids, or else be doomed to play through the majority of the game with only Gen 1 units and Lucina.  It makes me all the more grateful for the rebalancing we saw in Fates.

I'd wager Lunatic+ just feels like beating your head against a pike repeatedly.

Just now, Ertrick36 said:

I'll tell you, nothing is worse than having to mire-snipe a bunch of enemies with 50+ HP using a Cordelia that has a very low magic stat.

I hate rescuing Nowi's kid as it is, but that level on Lunatic is just torture.  It's like you have to overlevel in order to get any kids, or else be doomed to play through the majority of the game with only Gen 1 units and Lucina.  It makes me all the more grateful for the rebalancing we saw in Fates.

Well sounds like I won't be using very many children

hopefully Owain's level is okay, I WANT HIM.

33 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Lunatic+ is basically Lunatic, except with 1001 times more luck needed to get through. Ergo, it gives Thracia a run for its money on the BS scale.

13 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Panne's kid's paralogue is even worse. Especially if you want to fight both armies.

Anyways, I agree about the rebalancing Fates did... Except I have to point out that some kids have paralogues that are just TERRIBLE if you wait too long.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

6 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Wait, but aren't you playing on Normal or Hard instead?  Paralogues on those difficulties are tremendously easier.

Owain's is probably more manageable, at any rate.

10 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Panne's kid's paralogue is even worse. Especially if you want to fight both armies.

Good thing I don't care all that much about him.

I can imagine.  That chapter is already a pain on Hard, though mostly due to the tedium of defeating so many enemies.  Having to defeat them as level 1000+ units with skills stacked on top of them convinces me that maybe Taguel extinction is for the best.

27 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

If you aren't playing on Lunatic, there should not be too many problems.

On the subject of Owain, he can get a unique weapon if he talks with one of the villagers.

9 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

If you aren't playing on Lunatic, there should not be too many problems.

On the subject of Owain, he can get a unique weapon if he talks with one of the villagers.

Oh yeah isn't it a weaker version of a regalia?

im probably

gonna do hard mode for a bit of challenge 

11 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Oh yeah isn't it a weaker version of a regalia?

im probably

You're correct there. It's Missiletainn.

37 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

im probably

Yeah, I really don't think getting Owain should be a real issue for you there.

Hard is actually reasonable, even with Paralogues.

And Missiletainn is a spoof version of Mystletainn, one of the holy weapons from Genealogy of the Holy War and one of the three most powerful swords in that game.