Features to Improve A Potential FE Warriors 2

Unfortunately whatever you do you arent going to avoid clones. Its kind of a trade off. Clones means more possible characters, and in the context of characters like Elise and Sakura, I had no issue with them being clones as it worked well enough anyways. Same with Navarre, as the moveset was pretty much perfect for both him and Lyn.

I think what we need more than making sure every character is unique, is maybe diversify the weapon based movesets a bit more. All archers having the same moveset sucked. 2 of the 3 Takumi clones were just fine though. But Niles didnt make any sense to be a clone considering he is less of an archer and more of a rogue. And that was the big issue. Rogues were not at included in FEW.

So I dont think the issue was clones, but rather characters having a cloned moveset that just didnt make sense. Celica would be another example, though at least she had the excuse of being a literal last minute addition to the roster. Keep in mind these devs dont have all the time in teh world, and creating a whole set of animations from scratch is not an easy thing.

Moving on from clones. I think the big thing they need to improve is mission types. FEW was a good start, and the extra mission types added in DLC have been a good move, but I think there could be more to do with that. I think there is currently a defend type mission in the game, but it definitely doesnt work like one. I think that would be one great step, add in an actual defense style mission type where you arent able to capture any extra bases besides maybe the 3 you have, and you must survive and hold onto at least one base for X amount of time. Each base you lose lowers your ranking. The typical stuff.

I think this new strategist mode has some potential as well, I would love to see this somehow expanded upon in the future if a hypothetical FEW 2 happens. How it could be expanded on, I am unsure. The gamemode isnt even out yet, so that will have to wait.

Weapon wise I think we are mostly good. I think the enemies could use more varied weapons though. Throw in a few slayers on a few characters, maybe even come up with a specific enemy that uses them. So Dragon Slayer, Armor Slayer, Cavalry Slayer enemies that might be on the map through special conditions or the like.

Moving on with weapons, I think Daggers would be a great addition to the weapon list. A bit of a missed opportunity with FEW, but considering the room they had to cover with Fates Royals, and this likely being worked on shortly before Fates was even out, its understandable. But its something that would be great to add to a FEW 2. Throw in maybe one of the Ninja from Fates, along with a few rogues from other games, Sothe if Tellius is one of the main games, Matthew if Elibe, etc.

Overall outside of that and a few tweaks to current systems in the game, I think FEW was just short of perfect from a gameplay perspective for a Fire Emblem Warriors kind of game. I wouldnt want them to change too much drastically.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Unfortunately whatever you do you arent going to avoid clones. Its kind of a trade off. Clones means more possible characters, and in the context of characters like Elise and Sakura, I had no issue with them being clones as it worked well enough anyways. Same with Navarre, as the moveset was pretty much perfect for both him and Lyn.

I think what we need more than making sure every character is unique, is maybe diversify the weapon based movesets a bit more. All archers having the same moveset sucked. 2 of the 3 Takumi clones were just fine though. But Niles didnt make any sense to be a clone considering he is less of an archer and more of a rogue. And that was the big issue. Rogues were not at included in FEW.

So I dont think the issue was clones, but rather characters having a cloned moveset that just didnt make sense. Celica would be another example, though at least she had the excuse of being a literal last minute addition to the roster. Keep in mind these devs dont have all the time in teh world, and creating a whole set of animations from scratch is not an easy thing.

Moving on from clones. I think the big thing they need to improve is mission types. FEW was a good start, and the extra mission types added in DLC have been a good move, but I think there could be more to do with that. I think there is currently a defend type mission in the game, but it definitely doesnt work like one. I think that would be one great step, add in an actual defense style mission type where you arent able to capture any extra bases besides maybe the 3 you have, and you must survive and hold onto at least one base for X amount of time. Each base you lose lowers your ranking. The typical stuff.

I think this new strategist mode has some potential as well, I would love to see this somehow expanded upon in the future if a hypothetical FEW 2 happens. How it could be expanded on, I am unsure. The gamemode isnt even out yet, so that will have to wait.

Weapon wise I think we are mostly good. I think the enemies could use more varied weapons though. Throw in a few slayers on a few characters, maybe even come up with a specific enemy that uses them. So Dragon Slayer, Armor Slayer, Cavalry Slayer enemies that might be on the map through special conditions or the like.

Moving on with weapons, I think Daggers would be a great addition to the weapon list. A bit of a missed opportunity with FEW, but considering the room they had to cover with Fates Royals, and this likely being worked on shortly before Fates was even out, its understandable. But its something that would be great to add to a FEW 2. Throw in maybe one of the Ninja from Fates, along with a few rogues from other games, Sothe if Tellius is one of the main games, Matthew if Elibe, etc.

Overall outside of that and a few tweaks to current systems in the game, I think FEW was just short of perfect from a gameplay perspective for a Fire Emblem Warriors kind of game. I wouldnt want them to change too much drastically.

"Paladin with Wingslayer has appeared on the map!"

"Paladin is hunting down Minerva!"

You have any idea of the "oh fuck" look I had on my face when that happened?

Niles has the Archer moveset because the Archer moveset takes attack animations from pretty much all the 3D infantry archers we've had. C4 in particular is basically the Outlaw/Adventurer jumping flip attack, just aimed at the ground to create a tornado instead of aiming an arrow at the player. The Thief class's most iconic feature is also that they open things without the need for keys which did make it in.

18 minutes ago, Folt said:

"Paladin with Wingslayer has appeared on the map!"

"Paladin is hunting down Minerva!"

You have any idea of the "oh fuck" look I had on my face when that happened?

Niles has the Archer moveset because the Archer moveset takes attack animations from pretty much all the 3D infantry archers we've had. C4 in particular is basically the Outlaw/Adventurer jumping flip attack, just aimed at the ground to create a tornado instead of aiming an arrow at the player. The Thief class's most iconic feature is also that they open things without the need for keys which did make it in.

That is true. I do think Niles could have gained a bit from being a bit more unique though. Especially after his stats turned out to be the worst of the 4 archers. 

And the issue with the lock touch thing is it really doesn’t come into play much? I think if they add some more uses to it, like maybe opening a special door on the map that unlocks a new route much like the fliers having shortcuts would be good.

19 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

That is true. I do think Niles could have gained a bit from being a bit more unique though. Especially after his stats turned out to be the worst of the 4 archers. 

And the issue with the lock touch thing is it really doesn’t come into play much? I think if they add some more uses to it, like maybe opening a special door on the map that unlocks a new route much like the fliers having shortcuts would be good.

Eh, Niles being the worst of the Archers still make him pretty good because he has access to everything that makes Archers good picks in this game. Like, if I did a tier list right now, it would look something like:

• Caeda
  • Hinoka
  • Cordelia (Peg Knight moveset is generally the best moveset in the game and they alongside the Wyverns also have the best mobility.)

High

• Robin: The Mage moveset is better than the Archer moveset. He might drop to below Anna and Takumi because of their stats, but that's for another time.
  • Anna
  • Takumi
  • Sakura
  • Niles: Archer moveset is worse than Peg Knight and Mage, but it has so much going for it by default that it handily takes the throne of the third best moveset in the game. From there, it's basically sorting the Archers by stats.
  • Elise
  • Leo: Dark Knight moveset is probably the fourth best moveset after the other three because it's exceedingly easy to get crits with it. Plus, they, along with Xander, have the second best mobility after the fliers.
  • Xander: Cavalier moveset is honestly the best of the Sword movesets: C5 to C5 (not using the aerial attacks) is a crit on character enemies, C4 projectile can outrange the Archer C1 which means he can force Stun Gauges from range like the Peg. Knights, C3 is a good crowdclearer, and his mobility alongside Leo and Elise are the second best after the fliers. He also has stats in all the right places.

(Special doors to open would be cool though.)

Edited by Folt

1 hour ago, Folt said:

• Caeda
  • Hinoka
  • Cordelia (Peg Knight moveset is generally the best moveset in the game and they alongside the Wyverns also have the best mobility.)

Personally wouldn't say that the pegasus knight moveset is the best.

I'd say that Lyn/Navarre's moveset (good at one on one and groups) and Camilla/Minerva's moveset (due to ridiculous range of their dash C1)

Peg Knight is good but it lacks the ability to take out large groups (C6 can be used but it's late in their combo list). However, one on one is good due to their C5 which can break even white stun gauges with ease

1 minute ago, AJ Okami said:

Personally wouldn't say that the pegasus knight moveset is the best.

I'd say that Lyn/Navarre's moveset (good at one on one and groups) and Camilla/Minerva's moveset (due to ridiculous range of their dash C1)

Peg Knight is good but it lacks the ability to take out large groups (C6 can be used but it's late in their combo list). However, one on one is good due to their C5 which can break even white stun gauges with ease

C1 to Aerial Strong. Excellent Crowdclearer.

Wyvern Rider is honestly one of the worst ones. They have the best crowdclearing in the game yes, but their dueling is absolute garbage.

Regarding enemy variety, the problem in my opinion is that normal enemies fight the same as named enemies, for the most part. Like, named enemies will have an extra special but that's it.

I do think monster units would be a great way of expanding upon the enemy variety. This is something FE itself alreayd did in the transition from FE7 to Sacred Stones.

one thing i'd love to see in a sequel is a leader boost badge, a unique one for each character that cannot be shared,

For example, if Ryoma is player 1 in a map, all Ryomas allies outside of Ryoma himself gets a minor Astra boost with a little bit of SP up. Meanwhile, Minerva as leader would give all her allies an Itots shield leader skill with a small def boost, otherwise someone like Marth would most likely have a stat boost up for many stats for allies outside of magic. those kinds of things would make choosing who your leader is for a map more interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

In the context of better than expected sales figures for FEW1, I thought this would be a good time to reignite discussion with a few more suggestions.

Free Mode - Freely select the stage, objective type, enemy level, enemy heroes, deploy limit, stage modifiers, and music for custom battles. Enemy tactics can even be customized to make them to target specific objectives at specific times. Custom stages can be saved for future use and even shared online.

Online co-op.

Edited by Etheus

Free Mode is always welcome in a Warriors game and when I play a Warriors game that doesn't have one (Lookin' at you, All-Stars) I get pretty miffed.

More consistent/easier to access saving would be welcome. I have the 3DS version of the game and I honestly don't think there's an option to manually save the game. If there is, I can't for the life of me find it. That's honestly absurd, and I feel like every time I turn the game on I need to scour through all of my characters and their weapons to make sure everything is in proper order.

Better representation is a must. This is especially true given the weapon triangle's importance in the game. Without paying for dlc, you're stuck with three spear and axe users. Those spear users all use the exact same moveset and are weak to bows. It's absurd. Even if they insisted on focusing solely on Shadow Dragon and Fateswakening (A terrible idea) they can do MUCH better with representing everything Fire Emblem has to offer, character wise.

for more quality of life reasons, being able to just press a button to instantly see what skill you weapon has without going out of your way to see it would be swell. I always forget what a skill does when I look at it, and taking a look without just going all the way to camp would help remove the tedium.

in history mode only, it would be nice if there was a mini number next to the ko count/timer/hp that listed the rankings of a stage,like it would be nice to have /1500 B, To tell us how much total KOes are needed without needing to pause the game and try to find an open spot to take a quick look at the count. especially since allies koes count now.

lastly, if dimensional rifts appear again, I would like it that if after you get an S rank on it and you open up the conversation menu, it tells you what game that specific conversation is from, incase there are those who dont know whats being referenced.

I'd really like the possibility to make original characters. Like a customisable clone, with some outfits of the classes and others, multiple voices, etc...

My favourtie characters aren't popular ones, I'm sure they will never get in, but i'd be happy if i could "fake it" with a character that looks like them ^v^

I did that in Samurai Warriors Empires and enjoyed it a lot !

Edited by FuranSuwa

On 4/28/2018 at 1:25 PM, FuranSuwa said:

I'd really like the possibility to make original characters. Like a customisable clone, with some outfits of the classes and others, multiple voices, etc...

My favourtie characters aren't popular ones, I'm sure they will never get in, but i'd be happy if i could "fake it" with a character that looks like them ^v^

I did that in Samurai Warriors Empires and enjoyed it a lot !

This would work out really well if in FEW2 we have all the classes in the FE games playable too, so the custom character could basically do what Kris got to do in FE12 and just pick a class.

Let’s see:

I want any characters they didn’t add in this game to be in the sequel. Yes, I’m referring to Inigo and Severa. And Gaius, I guess. 

I also want new mission types, like hold the line or something.

More stone users are needed.

More infantry axe users are needed.

Daggers/shurikens should be added as new weapon types.

Thats all I can think of right now.

If one of the problems with clones is an untidy UI, then why not organize the UI by the character's weapon types? Or perhaps the factions?

Maybe I'm alone in this thought but I think that something like Warriors would be a great place to actually use some of the heroes of past legends from the time of the characters. For example, Shadow Dragon would get Anri and Tellius series could get Ashera's 3 Heroes. Allowing these characters to interact with the more famous characters in the series would be a fun move because the player could finally understand what the characters themselves were like on a more personal level.

Definitely more representation from other games though.

Perhaps some Base Conversations here and there too because I'd just love to see a large conversation between Robin, Ike, Marth and Lucina just to reference Smash for the sake of a laugh.

Something I've thought of is if the next game is going to keep the "characters of the same weapon/movement type get the same moveset" thing (or even if it doesn't), I'd be interested in seeing if characters could switch between different weapon types. So of instance Caeda could switch between Lances and Swords, Hinoka between Lances and Bows, and Cordelia either Lances/Staves or Lances/Tomes. This is already present somewhat as some archer and mage characters can use staves, but not others.

Could also certainly help give Weapon type restricted maps a bit more variety in terms of who you can use.

7 hours ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Something I've thought of is if the next game is going to keep the "characters of the same weapon/movement type get the same moveset" thing (or even if it doesn't), I'd be interested in seeing if characters could switch between different weapon types. So of instance Caeda could switch between Lances and Swords, Hinoka between Lances and Bows, and Cordelia either Lances/Staves or Lances/Tomes. This is already present somewhat as some archer and mage characters can use staves, but not others.

Could also certainly help give Weapon type restricted maps a bit more variety in terms of who you can use.

I hope it doesn't keep that, clones are always irritating in Musou games, even in this well polished one its a bit of an unfortunate smudge against it,. 

Your weapon switching idea has been done in the mainline Dynasty Warriors games btw, so it probably wouldn't be too hard to do.

8 hours ago, Jedi said:

I hope it doesn't keep that, clones are always irritating in Musou games, even in this well polished one its a bit of an unfortunate smudge against it,. 

Your weapon switching idea has been done in the mainline Dynasty Warriors games btw, so it probably wouldn't be too hard to do.

I would happily embrace his suggestion on the weapon swaps to differentiate clones. It would add much needed variety through combinations of cloned movesets. Hell, it could possibly even justify the existence of clones as a good thing. 

14 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I would happily embrace his suggestion on the weapon swaps to differentiate clones. It would add much needed variety through combinations of cloned movesets. Hell, it could possibly even justify the existence of clones as a good thing. 

Ehhh I'd rather have the best of worlds and have weapon Switches with no cloning ontop of it, but that's probably asking for a bit much.

DW8's method is great because everyone has a weapon unique to them in terms of who has special moves with it but yet everyone can use every weapon, they just don't get the extra moves unless they're using their "favorite" weapon 

6 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Ehhh I'd rather have the best of worlds and have weapon Switches with no cloning ontop of it, but that's probably asking for a bit much.

DW8's method is great because everyone has a weapon unique to them in terms of who has special moves with it but yet everyone can use every weapon, they just don't get the extra moves unless they're using their "favorite" weapon 

DW8 really is a gold standard for the genre. I just don't understand how the games afterward haven't been up to par with KT's love of recycling assets and mechanics. You'd think that something like cloning and lack of weapon variety in DW9 wouldn't have been a thing.

On 5/15/2018 at 12:18 PM, Etheus said:

DW8 really is a gold standard for the genre. I just don't understand how the games afterward haven't been up to par with KT's love of recycling assets and mechanics. You'd think that something like cloning and lack of weapon variety in DW9 wouldn't have been a thing.

Well DW9 is an entirely new engine set of mechanics and the like, I don't think the 8 stuff would have worked in how they've done 9.

But hey Orochi 4 is likely to use the Prefered 8 Empires weapons and samurai warriors 4-IIs unique movesets (they've already said as much) at least.

7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Well DW9 is an entirely new engine set of mechanics and the like, I don't think the 8 stuff would have worked in how they've done 9.

But hey Orochi 4 is likely to use the Prefered 8 Empires weapons and samurai warriors 4-IIs unique movesets (they've already said as much) at least.

I am happy to hear that. After getting burned by DW9, I know I should be more cautious with these titles, but I just can't help but get excited with this genre.

Edited by Etheus