Sign in to follow this  
MeddlingMage

Thoughts on these pairings.

Recommended Posts

Robin (+Str/-Luck) x Lucina

Chrom x Sumia

Stahl x Cordelia

Donnel x Sully

Gaius x Tharja

Libra x Lissa

Lon'qu x Olivia

Virion x Panne

Vaike x Nowi

Henry x Cherche

Ricken x Maribelle

Gregor x Miriel

 

Not sure who to put with the rest.   But those are the main kids that I will be using in the game except for Inigo and Owain for I still need to figure out the dads for them.

Edited by MeddlingMage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robin x Lucina: Lucina is one of the best mothers for Morgan, at least in my opinion. Aether is pretty strong on Morgan, or anyone for that matter.

Chrom x Olivia: With Chrom as his dad, Inigo can get Rightful King, which is an amazing skill. Also, the high luck from Olivia goes to Lucina, which then passes on to Morgan, sorta balancing out Robin's -Luck.

Henry x Sumia: Henry is pretty tanky for a mage, even a dark mage. That tanky-ness and decent magic stats carry on to Cynthia, so she gets stronger healing/magic attacks when she promotes.

Ricken x Lissa: Personally, I love Ricken and Lissa's supports, but with this pairing, Owain becomes an extremely good magic unit. I changed Lissa into a peg knight, and the speed she gives Ricken while paired up actually allows him to double people.

Tharja x Gaius: Solid choice. Noir can't get Galeforce, I think, unless Gaius is her dad. (Gaius gives peg knight class option to his daughter) Noir also gets a speed and skill boost from Gaius, which is always nice.

Sully x Donnel: Donnel can be paired with anyone, and his child will be overpowered, just like him. Kjelle with aptitude makes her phenomenally better.

Vaike x Nowi: I never really gave to much thought into Nowi's supports. Nah always ends up good, but she could be amazing if you manage to give her Armsthrift. I don't think Vaike can give her that.

Cordelia x Lon'qu: Let's put it this way... Severa will be doubling a whole lot of people. If she has a brave sword, she will hit 4 times in a single action. Each of those four attacks have a chance to activate Astra, which she can get from Lon'qu. Her chance to activate Astra is also increased, because Lon'qu and Cordelia give her pretty high skill. Each Astra hit (5 times) has a chance to crit, and her crit chance is high because of her parent's high skill. Basically, she can slap her opponent 20 times in a single turn if RNG loves you, and even 40 in one turn because Cordelia can give her Galeforce.

Miriel x Gregor: To be honest, I'm not so sure about this one. Gregor is a physical unit, and Miriel is a magic unit. If you want Laurent to be a fairly balanced Dark Knight with no particular strengths other than skill, than this could work.

Panne x Virion: Yarne gets quite a bit of Strength and Skill from this pairing, so it makes him a pretty strong berserker.

Marribelle x Libra: It works. Libra has some fairly balanced stats to give to Brady. This pairing makes Brady a fairly decent War Monk.

Cherche x Stahl: Stahl's strength passes on to Gerome, and the more Strength on that guy, the better.

 

I mainly focus on the children when I choose supports. In terms of stats, all your pairings work fairly well. This is all my opinion though, so you can disregard anything I say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any particular reason this isn't in the Pairing Thread...? Well, I suppose it doesn't matter that much...

None of your pairings are anywhere below A tier for Apotheosis optimisation in a vacuum, but on a more structural, team-composition level, you may run into issues (no very fast magical units, not many options for very good snipers). That said, it's worth asking exactly what you're pairing for. If you're doing the main campaign, you don't need this many characters. If you're doing Lunatic+, you don't want this many characters. If you're pairing for cute supports, you probably don't care about anything we say either way. Without knowing your purpose, it can be hard to advise.

That said, there is one point I can bring up now. Vaike!Nah is a physical female hard support, and one of the best, with Axefaire from her dad's inheritance for use on General (to hit hard) or Hero (for +Spe on her partner). The problem here is that physical hard support girls usually want physical galeboys, and Inigo is your only physical galeboy. Inigo's supports with Nah are arguably the worst in the game. Be sure you can live with shipping them before committing. You can go Hero and pair off with a spellcaster (Owain or Brady), but I'm not a fan of this when said spellcaster could probably wring a Valkyrie, Dark Flier, or Bride instead.

Edited by soly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What exactly are you aiming for here...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2018 at 3:18 AM, soly said:

Any particular reason this isn't in the Pairing Thread...? Well, I suppose it doesn't matter that much...

None of your pairings are anywhere below A tier for Apotheosis optimisation in a vacuum, but on a more structural, team-composition level, you may run into issues (no very fast magical units, not many options for very good snipers). That said, it's worth asking exactly what you're pairing for. If you're doing the main campaign, you don't need this many characters. If you're doing Lunatic+, you don't want this many characters. If you're pairing for cute supports, you probably don't care about anything we say either way. Without knowing your purpose, it can be hard to advise.

That said, there is one point I can bring up now. Vaike!Nah is a physical female hard support, and one of the best, with Axefaire from her dad's inheritance for use on General (to hit hard) or Hero (for +Spe on her partner). The problem here is that physical hard support girls usually want physical galeboys, and Inigo is your only physical galeboy. Inigo's supports with Nah are arguably the worst in the game. Be sure you can live with shipping them before committing. You can go Hero and pair off with a spellcaster (Owain or Brady), but I'm not a fan of this when said spellcaster could probably wring a Valkyrie, Dark Flier, or Bride instead.

Even though I may not use all the kids, I still try to get all kids.   The main kids I use are Lucina (Robin's wife), Morgan (Robin and Lucina's kid), Severa, Inigo (Chrom's son), Owain, Kjelle, Noire, and Gerome.  The other kids won't be used that much.

 

I currently don't have all of the DLC, so no one can go Bride or Dread Fighter right.   Plus I never grind my character's level out because that totally takes the challenge out of the game.   But I will try to get Galeforce for Inigo and Owain before I get them.  Plus Severa, Lucina, Morgan, Kjelle, Noire, and Cynthia can all gain Galeforce.

Edited by MeddlingMage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MeddlingMage said:

Even though I may not use all the kids, I still try to get all kids.   The main kids I use are Lucina (Robin's wife), Morgan (Robin and Lucina's kid), Severa, Inigo (Chrom's son), Owain, Kjelle, Noire, and Gerome.  The other kids won't be used that much.

 

I currently don't have all of the DLC, so no one can go Bride or Dread Fighter right.   Plus I never grind my character's level out because that totally takes the challenge out of the game.   But I will try to get Galeforce for Inigo and Owain before I get them.  Plus Severa, Lucina, Morgan, Kjelle, Noire, and Cynthia can all gain Galeforce.

I ask again... Exactly what is this for??? If this is for in-game, then (1) why are you marrying Chrom to Olivia, and (2) why the emphasis on Galeforce, knowing it won't be relevant until near endgame??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I ask again... Exactly what is this for??? If this is for in-game, then (1) why are you marrying Chrom to Olivia, and (2) why the emphasis on Galeforce, knowing it won't be relevant until near endgame??

I am marrying Olivia to Chrom because I'm tired of marrying Chrom to Sumia.  Plus an Olivia! Lucina can make a devastating Morgan.  I'm not really focused on Galeforce on them but f it happens, then it happens.   We all know that Severa's and Inigo's paralogues can be down right hard on hard/ classic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MeddlingMage said:

I am marrying Olivia to Chrom because I'm tired of marrying Chrom to Sumia.  Plus an Olivia! Lucina can make a devastating Morgan.  I'm not really focused on Galeforce on them but f it happens, then it happens.   We all know that Severa's and Inigo's paralogues can be down right hard on hard/ classic.  

Well, if I may be honest, I find marrying Chrom to Olivia to be much more trouble than it's worth... All that trouble to marry the two, and the "reward", if I can even call it that, is a Lucina that has her bases ruined by Olivia, in addition to having no modifiers above 3, and the resulting Inigo does not get anything notable out of it either... because Rightful King is N.W.I. (meaning: Not Worth It), especially for how irritating his paralogue is. Also, wouldn't a Morgan born from a Sumia-smothered Lucian also be devastating? And my Galeforce question was more knowing that without grinding, you won't be seeing it until the game is nearly over - are you really sure Galeforce is worth the wait??? Especially in the case of Owain and Inigo, who need to inherit it from their mothers.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...yes, okay, but, like, what aspect of FE: Awakening are you focusing on? My reading is that you're playing to kill the final boss, in which case, you don't need all these kids; Olivia!Lucina's bases hurt, and Galeboys don't get Galeforce without excessive grinding (which you already say you're trying to avoid). Not to mention the kids that are just hard to get or otherwise not worth it.

In-game pairings are basically completely different from postgame ones, and frankly, even on Hard/Classic you can do nearly anything and still come out fine. The question you're asking is no longer simply "which dads are good on which kids". It is "which kids are good in the campaign" measured by easy paralogues, good availability, potent class sets, and nice bases.

Then ask "which dads fit best on the good kids" (good class and stat inheritance, possibly advantageous skill passdown as well) as well as "which dads fit best with those kids' mothers" (advantageous and complementary class access and pair-up stat bonuses). For example, Stahl (Paladin or GK) passing Str and Def to Cordelia (Dark Flier) passing Spe and Res to Stahl. Notice how both units get almost exactly the stats they really want? In contrast, Lon'qu has enough speed and gets nothing he wants from Cordelia, and Cordelia doesn't care that much about getting more speed, too, so unless a second seal is spent, for example to send LQ to Wyvern Rider, you get a pretty average combat pair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, soly said:

...yes, okay, but, like, what aspect of FE: Awakening are you focusing on? My reading is that you're playing to kill the final boss, in which case, you don't need all these kids; Olivia!Lucina's bases hurt, and Galeboys don't get Galeforce without excessive grinding (which you already say you're trying to avoid). Not to mention the kids that are just hard to get or otherwise not worth it.

In-game pairings are basically completely different from postgame ones, and frankly, even on Hard/Classic you can do nearly anything and still come out fine. The question you're asking is no longer simply "which dads are good on which kids". It is "which kids are good in the campaign" measured by easy paralogues, good availability, potent class sets, and nice bases.

Then ask "which dads fit best on the good kids" (good class and stat inheritance, possibly advantageous skill passdown as well) as well as "which dads fit best with those kids' mothers" (advantageous and complementary class access and pair-up stat bonuses). For example, Stahl (Paladin or GK) passing Str and Def to Cordelia (Dark Flier) passing Spe and Res to Stahl. Notice how both units get almost exactly the stats they really want? In contrast, Lon'qu has enough speed and gets nothing he wants from Cordelia, and Cordelia doesn't care that much about getting more speed, too, so unless a second seal is spent, for example to send LQ to Wyvern Rider, you get a pretty average combat pair.

I just hate pairing Chrom with Sumia because I've done it so many times.    It gets boring fast.  If you really want to why I put Olivia with Chrom is because I took a bet with a guy at work.  Plus I'm only playing the game to beat the final boss.   The main reason why I try to get all the kids is because of the extra experience you get when you get those paralogues.

 

The only kids that I really care about are Lucina, Morgan, Kjelle, Severa, Owain, Inigo, and Noire.   The others Cynthia, Brady, Yarne, Nah, Laurent, and Gerome I don't really care about.  I mean if you think of better pairings, please let me know.

 

EDIT:  I redid the list while mainly the main kids that will be using on this run.   Just need to figure out who to put with Owain and Inigo and yes I decided to put Chrom with Sumia, so that is why Inigo still needs a dad.

Edited by MeddlingMage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at your revised pairing setup... How about Frederick for Olivia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MeddlingMage said:

Plus I'm only playing the game to beat the final boss.  

The only kids that I really care about are Lucina, Morgan, Kjelle, Severa, Owain, Inigo, and Noire.   The others Cynthia, Brady, Yarne, Nah, Laurent, and Gerome I don't really care about.  I mean if you think of better pairings, please let me know.

There. This is exactly what I want to know.

On 3/6/2018 at 10:03 PM, MeddlingMage said:
Spoiler

Robin (+Str/-Luck) x Lucina You'll be fine.

Chrom x Sumia I mean, if you don't want to, then don't do it. If you're only going up to the final boss you can do Sully-Chrom pretty decently. If you're for sure benching Cynthia it might be better to give her a throwaway dad (though she doesn't have many of those).

Donnel x Sully If you don't do Sully-Chrom, then I guess you're fine. That said, consider whether Kjelle is going to get Galeforce. There's a good chance she's not getting it in the maingame. If you decide not to bother with Galeforce on Kjelle, you can just do Chrom-Sully.

Stahl x Cordelia A good pairing for maingame. Still good postgame.

Libra x Lissa Does its job - Libra is valued as a potent drop-in father that doesn't need EXP and is useful as a staffbot the whole game. As with all galekids, consider if the kid is getting Galeforce. That's not necessarily going to be a thing before the boss, especially on someone like Owain.

Gaius x Tharja Again with the Galekids. Aside from that it's fine, even if you're not gunning for Galeforce - Tharja passes Def and Res to Gaius, and he passes Skl and Spe (and Mag, if you go Trickster) so it's a surprisingly good combat pairing. My Tharjas are always stat-screwed somehow, though. Gaius needs a certain amount of exp to do good work, so if you decide against Galeforce, strongly consider Gregor parentage for Noire instead. Tharja still gets Spe + Skl + Def, and Gregor still gets Def + Res.

Lon'qu x Olivia Galekid warning again. Inigo's bases will be hurt by being Olivia's kid. If LQ is trained, the speed helps Inigo get up to... speed... more quickly, though his Str will suffer. Consider Wyvern or Griffon (for both Lonk and Inigo). As long as you're not playing past the final boss, this is fine. If you are, LQ!Inigo is really bad (no stable procs, Myrm overlap, Thief does nothing). Postgame Inigo can take any dad with a stable proc (Luna or Vengeance) so feel free to dump Kellam or Fred on him. I... don't think Fred's bases are that great, and they tend to grow more slowly because Fred's the prepromote, so if you're planning to use Inigo for the final boss I might not give him Fred. Kellam might be better in this case, maybe.

Below we find all the kids you don't care about.

Virion x Panne Good for postgame. If you don't care about maingame this is fine.

Vaike x Nowi Vaike!Nah still wants a physical galeboy, and your only physical Galeboy is still Inigo. If you're postgaming, which you aren't, or shipping all the kids too (which you probably aren't, either), check out their horrifying supports before committing. If you don't care, then whatever. Nah's best magical dad is probably Henry. Gregor!Nah is versatile.

Henry x Cherche Best postgame Gerome, but the parents have zero maingame synergy (Cherche appreciates Def and Res, but appreciates Speed more. Henry doesn't get Mag, Spe or Res so cries). If you just want to recruit Gerome for the sake of recruiting him, reconsider this pairing.

Ricken x Maribelle no complaints here

Gregor x Miriel Great in basically all scenarios, but as a drop-in dad Gregor is fairly valuable. Since you don't care about Laurent, consider just handing him a dad you don't care about and spending Gregor on someone else.

spoilered for size. Comments in spoilers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I flip Vaike to Cherche and put Henry with Nowi?

Or I can flip Gregor to Cherche and put Henry with Miriel?

 

Edited by MeddlingMage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't care at all about Gerome, Nah, and Laurent, and they're never going to see combat or get supports, why does it matter?

Spoiler

 

If you're using Vaike and Cherche, he's probably a Hero when you get Cherche. Getting Skl + Spe from Vaike, and passing him Str + Def, works out. If you're not using Vaike or Cherche, then it almost doesn't matter at all. Same logic for Gregor, he's fine, except he doesn't even need to be promoted to support her well.

Henry appreciates the bulk and +Mag from Manakete Nowi but does not get the one stat he really wants, which is Speed. Nowi doesn't really care that much about more bulk and doesn't care at all about Mag. She'd rather have +Spe from Gregor or promoted Hero Vaike. Manakete is still going to shred the campaign, but the more targets Nowi can double, the harder she'll shred the campaign. Henry!Nah is great, but they're not amazing in the maingame unless you reclass Henry to like Barbarian or something, and that has issues of its own (10 Str bronze axes at chapter 13).

Henry passes Mag to (and gets Mag from) Miriel so he's fine with it. Miriel also gets Mag. If you're actually trying to use them, then Henry desperately wants Speed which Miriel won't give him. Miriel herself pretty much doesn't care, so you might be able to get away with instapromoting Henry and just putting him behind Miriel the entire game. (Probably go Dark Knight if you do.)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.