1HP Minimum Damage

Jotari

Gaiden's and Echoes made it so if your attack is less than your enemy's defenses, you deal 1 point of damage regardless. How do you feel about this quirk and would you like future games to run with it?

I wouldn't mind this mechanic returning, as long as the gameplay is built with this mechanic in mind. It's the entire reason why defeating Desaix early is even possible, and I like how it allows characters fulfill the role of a tank without said role being gamebreaking. 

That being said, I also wouldn't care if this mechanic didn't return, as every other game in the series has performed well without it. It would be a nice New Game+ reward/alteration regardless.

5 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Genealogy also had it!.. not that it mattered much with the units’ gigantic HP, but that’s why dancers and thieves were able to clear the arena.

Oh, so it did. Not sure wether or not I knew that.

Edited by Jotari

No, if there's any HP to one bullshit like Medusa, Dulam, or Hel. It might not be too bad otherwise.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I always felt like it made knights lose their only advantage, the whole 0 damage thing was one of the things that I liked about fire emblem, and its not like knights were ever overpowered, if their resistance was high enough to reasonably survive a mage, their defense was low enough to where they could still be chipped to death. 

knights were already not that good in fates and taking away the only thing they ever had going for them is not something I am for.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I always felt like it made knights lose their only advantage, the whole 0 damage thing was one of the things that I liked about fire emblem, and its not like knights were ever overpowered, if their resistance was high enough to reasonably survive a mage, their defense was low enough to where they could still be chipped to death. 

knights were already not that good in fates and taking away the only thing they ever had going for them is not something I am for.

What? Are you sure you meant to write Fates there? Because Knights have never been better than they are in Fates.

It always annoyed me that the AI would have units attack yours despite doing no damage so yes, I appreciated the change and wish it would remain.

It at least makes some sense if they now attack you for chip.

Chip damage is okay with me. If I recall in Conquest, if enemies could not deal even 1 damage to Corrin or Effie, they just wouldn't try and would stay put rather than get baited. Until they're willing to put in a system that shows what AI script an enemy is using, I'd prefer AI to act consistently and chip damage would ensure that.

It would also definitely buff the HP stat for tanky (usually slow) units who just rely on Def and Res. I'd even stake a claim that it adds to the realism. Because no matter how sturdy somebody is built, they'll topple after enough force is applied. In this case, a bunch of dorks coming at you on enemy phase and dealing one damage.