Did overambition kill this game?

Corrobin

I don't think over-ambition had anything to do with it. I think they took the Avatar and story concepts and thinned them out a bit too much. I am reminded of a short story I read once, where a mother is asked by all of her family to not include a single element within her soup, then at dinner they get a steaming pot of water, because when she removed everything they asked her to remove, only the water was left. That steaming water is Fire Emblem Fates, imo. There is so many choices, so vapid and uninteresting of a plot, that not only can you not see yourself within it, but it doesn't make any sense even though it could fit almost anywhere.

The whole concept of branching timelines isn't anything new, but honestly the general story stays the same no matter what you choose, and even though the battles change a little, the basic idea is the same. So to me, they weren't ambitious enough and spent too much time on things like my castle simulated warfare and perhaps included too many characters for such relatively small skirmishes.

The support conversations were also poorly done imo. There were some gems there, no doubt about it, but for the most part they just sucked imo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To an extent, but I think greed and, as quite a few others have said, a lack of cohesiveness were the biggest problems. Revelation in particular doesn't feel ambitious at all to me, quite the opposite in fact. Conceptually, oh sure, but that makes the execution all the more lacking.

1 hour ago, Cysx said:

To an extent, but I think greed and, as quite a few others have said, a lack of cohesiveness were the biggest problems. Revelation in particular doesn't feel ambitious at all to me, quite the opposite in fact. Conceptually, oh sure, but that makes the execution all the more lacking.

That's what ambitious is. What's conceptually impressive. That's why being over ambitious is a bad thing. It means your actual competence can't match what you want to achieve.

34 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's what ambitious is. What's conceptually impressive. That's why being over ambitious is a bad thing. It means your actual competence can't match what you want to achieve.

But that's the thing, it feels like Revelation was never ambitious. That it was meant to look that way, but not to be. I'm having a hard time believing that the plan ever was to make a great culmination to Fates, and that this largely soulless game was the result. There's just too little that's unique and interesting in it.

14 minutes ago, Cysx said:

But that's the thing, it feels like Revelation was never ambitious. That it was meant to look that way, but not to be. I'm having a hard time believing that the plan ever was to make a great culmination to Fates, and that this largely soulless game was the result. There's just too little that's unique and interesting in it.

There's plenty unique about Revelations. It's just mostly gimmicky maps that nobody likes.

19 minutes ago, Jotari said:

There's plenty unique about Revelations. It's just mostly gimmicky maps that nobody likes.

I mean, apart from Fuga and a bunch of support conversations, what is there?

There's no new weaponry, no new classes, no new skills(apart from Fuga's personal), very few new antagonists or story characters in general, few new tracks, the story doesn't exactly go new places... It has new maps, but also a lot of reused ones...

I think at the end of the day, Revelation does its job, which is giving the overarching story a definitive ending, and allowing players to use almost every character from Fates. But it accomplishes both in a very safe, basic manner, and not much beyond. It... yeah, it feels a bit lazy, to me anyway. And there is the possibility that it's the result of them trying and failing, but I don't know, I'm not seeing it.

Edited by Cysx

I agree that Revelation is very safe and not ambitious at all. It's boring, at least narratively. (Gameplaywise it's somewhat ambitious but I dunno... I have a sneaking suspicion that it consists of map designs which were rejected from Conquest.)

Fates as a whole is certainly quite ambitious, for all that I don't agree with "overambitious", and in fact think "overambitious" is a pretty terrible criticism to have for a game generally.