Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, uh, it looks like intern-kun fucked up and accidentally renamed one of the songs on the Youtube Smash Bros. music playlist to a song title that probably spoils tomorrow's Direct. Look it up if you want to be spoiled, or don't. Your call.

I demand 10 free Orbs in Fire Emblem Heroes as compensation.

3 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Well, uh, it looks like intern-kun fucked up and accidentally renamed one of the songs on the Youtube Smash Bros. music playlist to a song title that probably spoils tomorrow's Direct. Look it up if you want to be spoiled, or don't. Your call.

Not to sound blunt, but you know you could save some of us the trouble of searching for something that’s likely going to be unlisted and just say it in a spoiler here.

5 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

I demand 10 free Orbs in Fire Emblem Heroes as compensation.

I think some people will be crying bloody tears before this is all over.

Just now, SilvertheShadow said:

Not to sound blunt, but you know you could save some of us the trouble of searching for something that’s likely going to be unlisted and just say it in a spoiler here.

The Galaga Medley has been renamed to "Bloody Tears/Monster Dance"

Edited by The DanMan

1 minute ago, SilvertheShadow said:

I didn't want to take any chances.

6 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I think some people will be crying bloody tears before this is all over.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I didn’t recognize the piece at first so I had to look it up. Oh boy, this should be interesting indeed. 

How do slip ups keep happening like this? How hard is it to not click anything wrong? Still, it's only a few hours beforehand, and it is only relevant to those who happen to be intensively online. It doesn't hurt Nintendo much. 

Spoiler
7 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

So Simon is coming in after all! 

How much will he match this old moveset template I came up with years ago?

• Simon Belmont (Castlevania):

The original vampire hunter, uses the Vampire Killer whip and several sub-weapons.

• Gameplay profile
    • Pros:
      • Simon’s choice of weapon, a whip, gives all of his normal attacks air and ground good range. Simon’s specials are largely ranged attacks, and cover a variety of circumstances. The Vampire Killer has a tipper, and thus it is best if he maintains optimal (medium-long) range. Simon’s tilts, smashes, and aerials cover all eight directions, in reference to his Super Castlevania IV ability to swing the Vampire Killer in eight directions. His whip has a natural tether ability on all of its attacks, helping his horizontal recovery powers. On a stage with several nearby tether-able edges, Simon can fool around and tether and jump from one to another endlessly (there might be a little use in this). Simon is a heavyweight.
    • Cons:
      • Simon is a slow walker, his running speed is better, but only average in this category. Simon falls fast, and his jumps don’t carry too much height; his Rising Uppercut is fast and gives vertical height, but lacks much in the way of horizontal. The Vampire Killer is not a fast weapon, and if the tipper doesn’t hit, the damage is not as great, meaning it is possible for a faster character to sneak up close and pressure Simon to death.
  • Moves:
    • Specials
      • Standard Special: Cross
        • Simon throws a cross in front of him, which travels on a straight line for a medium distance, before boomeranging back in a straight line to Simon. The weapon is somewhat slow, but deals great damage.
        • Custom 1: Knife
          • A knife is thrown on a straight line. This is a fast projectile which deals little damage and no stun.
        • Custom 2: Punch
          • Deals a flurry of close range punches for significant damage.
      • Side Special: Holy Water
        • Throws a bottle of holy water onto the ground in front of Simon, it breaks and the water then moves like fire across the ground. Deals decent damage and stun, but no knock-back. Does not deal damage prior to contact with the ground.
        • Custom 1: Ricochet Rock
          • Deals mid-light damage, but up to three can be active a once. Bounces off surfaces, increasing damage by 1/2 the base for each bounce (up to 3).
        • Custom 2: Fireball Lash
          • Swings the whip and a fireball comes out of the tip. The fireball deals good damage, flies on a straight line, and has some stun.
      • Up Special: Rising Uppercut
        • A super-jump is performed, with the knife being used to uppercut foes. The knife deals damage to whatever it comes into contact with and deals some damage and minor knock-back; if hit at the peak of the jump, the knock-back is much greater.
        • Custom 1: Vanish Dash
          • Simon fades into the background for a moment, moving the direction pressed just after activating the move (default is up). Mimics Julius’s dash in AoS. The dash deals no damage, is slow, has a bit less range than the Rising Uppercut, but provides invincibility. If performed on the ground, the move can be performed a second time in the air.
        • Custom 2: Couldn't think of anything.
      • Down Special: Axe
        • Simon throws an axe which arcs through the air. Works well against airborne foes and deals decent damage and knock-back.
        • Custom 1: Holy Book
          • Throws a holy book, which spins around where Simon is initially standing/falling for two or three full rotations, before flying off screen at an incredible speed. Only the initial rotations deal damage.
        • Custom 2: Thunder Gauntlet
          • A gauntlet full of electricity. It deals a lot of damage and naturally homes in on any foe within a medium range. But the gauntlet holds only so long a charge, which takes a good deal of time to replenish.
    • Stationary/Dash
      • Simon lacks a stationary combo, his stationary is the same as his non-diagonal side tilt.
      • Simon’s flurry standard is him rapidly swinging his whip up and down, the range is less than a tilt due to curvature in the whip during the attack.
      • If the player holds the standard attack button, Simon will hold his whip limp in front of it, and it can be manipulated as Shiek’s old Chain could be.
      • Simon’s dash attack
    • Tilts
      • Simon is unique in that he has eight tilts, one for each direction. All of his tilts are whip swings in the direction tilted towards, except for the down tilt, which is a slide instead.
    • Smashes
      • Simon’s smashes, like his tilts, come in eight directions. Whereas his tilt are whip strikes with rather mechanical motions, his smashes are much more wild whip swings. As proof of their strength, Simon’s whip, when charged for a smash, becomes a flame whip.
    • Aerials
      • Like his tilts and smashes, Simon has an aerial for every direction.
    • Grabs
      • Simon uses his whip to snatch foes coiling them (or at least a limb) in it, giving him a lengthy grab range. Simon can grab in seven directions (down is the exception).
    • Final Smash
      • Grand Cross
        • Simon unleashes Grand Cross, dealing heavy damage to all foes trapped in the cross and who are near it, particularly in the center. The Final Smash has a vacuum effect upon immediate activation that draws foes into the center of the cross. The flash of light that dispels the cross and ends the smash deals a flinching 10% of damage to all foes, regardless of where they are on the stage (unless they sidestep at just the right moment).
    • Costumes:
      • Simon comes in two varieties- a classic barbarian Simon, and his redhead redesign. (I couldn't thin of more.)
        • Classic colors:
          • Standard appearance.
          • Richter Blue.
          • Julius colors.
        • Redesign colors:
          • Standard appearance.
          • Leon colors.
          • Juste colors.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:
  Hide contents

TFW Sakurai's comment about his eyes really was hinting towards a new character reveal.

They were red because they were filled with bloody tears

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Somehow this feels like another Rayman trophy situation. 

They changed the name back, however.

The Rayman trophy was blatant. This was someone within the PR team changing the name of an already uploaded song, only for the song name to be reverted after an hour.

It still could be a Rayman trophy deal, but with the general rumors and stuff, I doubt it.

I mean, yeah, for all we know Konami just wanted a Castlevania song to play on the Metal Gear stage, the same way other Namco songs play on the Pac-Man one. But this, combined with the proximity to the Direct, and the frequency of Mr. Belmont showing up in leak discussion, leads me to believe that we are indeed getting him.

I still think Simon Belmond is too weird a choice to make it in. He's from a dead series owned by a dead game publisher. Even before burning their gaming division to the ground Konami made it clear they wanted nothing to do with the series anymore. For then to push for or even agree to put someone like that in Smash doesn't sound like Konami.

17 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I still think Simon Belmond is too weird a choice to make it in. He's from a dead series owned by a dead game publisher. Even before burning their gaming division to the ground Konami made it clear they wanted nothing to do with the series anymore. For then to push for or even agree to put someone like that in Smash doesn't sound like Konami.

Smash has been known to choose characters from dead franchises. Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, Captain Falcon ( COUGH*COUGH*)

Can anyone provide a link for when direct goes Live?

38 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Smash has been known to choose characters from dead franchises. Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, Captain Falcon ( COUGH*COUGH*)

F Zero certainly wasn't dead when the first Smash came out. Any "dead series" they've pulled from have been very old games with only one or two releases to begin with.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Licensing fees. It's possible that, between at least Simon (if he's in), Snake, and Bomberman, Konami's making a decent enough penny. Plus, the Netflix series may have garnered enough renewed interest to warrant it.

1 hour ago, ZeManaphy said:

https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/08-08-2018/

It will be live in four hours.

Edited by Dai

The one thing that would excite me most to see in this direct is not any characters (though it would be nice to see a xenoblade X rep) but instead it is multi character stocks 

I also kind of want to add something additional to why Konami might allow Simon. There is a Castlevania mobile game based on the pre-LoS series, so that may also be a factor, as silly as it sounds.

Grimoire of Souls, I believe.

mainv_pc.0.jpg

Ah, my hype has decreased a little after this. I was expecting Simon Belmont, what, with all the rumours and stuff, but...I just don't really care about Castlevania? I've always been iffy with third parties anyways, I only like Snake and Cloud, but...

Oh well. We'll see what happens. If he's announced, then I'm happy for his fans.

My issue with Simon is that he doesn't really have a recognizable design. His design always changed, and there is no common thread between all those designs that really screams "It's Simon Belmont!". In that regard Alucard would probably have been a better pick.

Edited by BrightBow

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

My issue with Simon is that he doesn't really have a recognizable design. His design always changed, and there is no common thread between all those designs that really screams "It's Simon Belmont!". In that regard, Alucard would probably have been a better pick.

Personally, much as I like Alucard, he would likely dredge up the old "too many swordfighters" argument. A whip-fighter would be something unique and fresh.

They may also NOT simply go with Simon Belmont. They could simply go with "Belmont", and allow each alt to be a different member of the family. Leon, Trevor, Simon, Juste, Richter, and Julius...that alone is already six alts. Hell, for shits and giggles they could even throw in Gabriel.