Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I still think Simon Belmond is too weird a choice to make it in. He's from a dead series owned by a dead game publisher. Even before burning their gaming division to the ground Konami made it clear they wanted nothing to do with the series anymore. For then to push for or even agree to put someone like that in Smash doesn't sound like Konami.

Castlevania's last game released in the same year as Smash 4. And we've got Snake back; if it gets them money and PR, Konami will do just about anything (including actually making a new Bombeman game that was apparently pretty good).

By your logic, Mega Man was a weird choice for Smash 4 because his series was "dead" at that point.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less than one hour remains before the Direct begins. I don't know about you guys, but I'm incredibly excited. Have they even mentioned how long this direct is going to be? I doubt it'll be longer than half an hour, let alone fifteen minutes, but who knows?

Edit: Less than half an hour.

Here's the link just in case.

Edited by Dai

I'm ready for the direct guys. Here's my bingo card.

Smash Bros Ultimate Bingo

Veteran Adjustments

Trophy Rush

Elma

Event Matches

New Stages

Home Run Contest

Classic Mode

Adventure/Story Mode

King K Rool

Live Action Skit

Sakurai Trolls Us

Simon Belmont

Free Space

Smash Run

New Assist Trophies

Heihachi Mishima

Mii Costumes

Dixie Kong

Shadow

Smash Tour

New Items

Shovel Knight

Brand New Mode

Incineroar

Break The Targets

Sadly I didn't get a Bingo, but I came close.

Smash Bros Ultimate Bingo

Veteran Adjustments

Trophy Rush

Elma

Event Matches

New Stages

Home Run Contest

Classic Mode

Adventure/Story Mode

King K Rool

Live Action Skit

Sakurai Trolls Us

Simon Belmont

Free Space

Smash Run

New Assist Trophies

Heihachi Mishima

Mii Costumes

Dixie Kong

Shadow

Smash Tour

New Items

Shovel Knight

Brand New Mode

Incineroar

Break The Targets

1 minute ago, ZeManaphy said:

Is Chrom supposed to be a clone of Ike? Man this game makes me want a Switch badly. I do have 1450 from my Grandpa, so I guess I can buy one... After College Apps.

he looks like he's a combination of both Roy and Ike

Ok but is no one gonna talk about how Luigi actually died in Simon's trailer.

1 minute ago, ZeManaphy said:

Is Chrom supposed to be a clone of Ike? Man this game makes me want a Switch badly. I do have 1450 from my Grandpa, so I guess I can buy one... After College Apps.

Looks to be an echo of Roy but with Ike's up-B.

Sakurai has blown me away once again!

Chrom echo, check. Fountain of Dreams, check. Fire Emblem finally gets an item, check.

Simon looks really cool, but I prefer Richter out of the two. I was not expecting King K. Rool to be announced today, but holy crap.

Sakurai keeps teasing adventure mode, and he's killing me.

also they put Chrom next to Robin in the bigass picture and I think that's adorable.

Question is, what will happen to Robin's Final Smash? Will Morgan step in?

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Honestly, I never considered the King to have a chance. I don't think I had any significant roles since DK64. Doesn't exactly help that DK has been around for far longer then he has.

Sounds like Nintendo is really listening to all the fan whining. The next question is whether it'll be enough to get Nintendo to twist SE in a funnel cake, and screaming in agony and say "OKAY OKAY GENO!".

I'm already a happy camper with Ridley confirmed so it's really...nice to be able to just be happy that other fans are getting long awaited characters even if they don't appeal to me specifically. I know K Rool was long requested so congrats to them (and my condolences to those character deconfirmed by assist trophies). Seems like Metroid is getting a lot of love this time and I'll enjoy playing as Dark Samus and Meta Ridley. The prime games were the best.

Lots of stages and music and a killing edge! RIP Lyn, I would have liked her as an Echo Fighter.

I'm looking forward to a adventure or story mode.

Hohoho, I can't wait to get my fingers on Chrom. There is a special place in my heart for this selfcentric, narcissist pile of human-shaped garbage. Much coping will occur.

Edited by BrightBow

I kind of did want Shovel Knight playable, but it's a miracle that he's included at all so an Assist Trophy is the next best thing. The Rathalos boss/assist is awesome as well.

12 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Honestly, I never considered the King to have a chance. I don't think I had any significant roles since DK64. Doesn't exactly help that DK has been around for far longer then he has.

Honestly I think the Ballot saved him. The fact that he got acknowledged last game (as a Mii costume) is what made me think that he had a chance this time. Too bad he didn't bring Dixie with him.

Edited by Lightchao42

Now that Chrom’s in, will Robin get a new smash? Maybe it’ll feature Grima. Also, there should be a conversation where Chrom rubs in the Kid Icarus’s cast Face about being playable.

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Hohoho, I can't wait to get my fingers on Chrom. There is a special place in my heart for this selfcentric, narcissist pile of human-shaped garbage. Much coping will occur.

Are you fucking serious

Anyways, really solid Direct. 2 unique newcomers, 3 Echoes-- bringing up the total to 4 and 4. I'd say we're about 50-60% of the way through.

The fact characters have individualized classic mode playthroughs is interesting, though it does kinda kill variety.

I'm currently wondering what the Hunter's chances are; he Ancestral Steppe was shown as a stage with Rathalos as both a boss and an AT, but they didn't address the stage at all. The Boxing Ring was shown off well before Little Mac-- I'm not sure if this kills the Hunter's chances or virtually confirms them.

Simon is amazing and the stage is incredible with all those cameo appearances, holy shit. And so much Castlevania music. I really hope this means a new game/compilation is in development.

K Rool is deserved as he's been requested for so freaking long.

I'm super bummed about Chrom, though. The FE roster is such a disappointment, seriously the series has such varied and interesting characters and instead we're stuck with all sword users and almost half the roster from one of 15 games. Marth, Hector, Ike, Robin, and Celica is such a better and well rounded roster that I wouldn't even have minded Roy being cut permanently after Melee or Lyn not being in if it meant better representation for the series. Speaking of, if Chrom was added due to backlash why the heck is Lyn still an AT? She's been requested far longer and has proven to be more popular. Oh I know, Awakening saved the series. Can't we move on already? Sigh.

Anyway aside from that rant, I thought the Direct was great. Super excited for the game.

4 hours ago, Mackc2 said:

The one thing that would excite me most to see in this direct is not any characters (though it would be nice to see a xenoblade X rep) but instead it is multi character stocks 

You called it, and IMO, it's the best thing they revealed.

6 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Now that Chrom’s in, will Robin get a new smash? Maybe it’ll feature Grima. Also, there should be a conversation where Chrom rubs in the Kid Icarus’s cast Face about being playable.

really looking for the Palutena's guidance and Snake's codec conversations now

Final Destination looking its edgiest. Final Edgetination. :Jaffar:

I'm pretty sure I'm obligated to main the character with brown hair throwing crosses and holy water.

Chrom is super awesome. More Fire Emblem is always a good thing.

Dark Samus... Has a nice idle animation?

I don't have an emotional connection to King K. Rool, and listening to people whine about him not being playable was annoying considering all the more relevant choices they could have picked. Him being in at least stops the whining but at the same time it's a shame those people were rewarded for being so spoiled. Truly, let them rename the game to "Never Ask Me For Anything: Ever Again." Ducks behind cover and awaits bombardment from K. Rool fans.  

Surprisingly, I don't feel bitter about Zero and Shovel Knight being Assists, just happy that they're in the game. Also Johnny Young Bosh.

New modes look fantastic, and I could see some of them having small competitive circles too.

Overall I suppose I'll enjoy myself when December comes around. :Wrys: