Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Oh yeah, Final Smashes being viable without items is a thing now too, that's super awesome.

Can I say that this is my favorite thing ever, btw? I doubt they'll add them in competitively, but that's still the best thing ever.

Simon's page seems to be broken. I can't access it at all. I can access everybody else's.

Edited by Dai

None of the new characters really made me happy or anything, but the Smash roster has gotten so big and already added many characters from popular series that I'm not surprised. King K. Rool was a pleasant surprise though! My brother and I liked playing Donkey Kong Country together and fighting him.

I know a lot of people have been requesting Simon Belmont, so good for them I guess. I personally had no idea who he was, and after being told who he was earlier in this thread (and after doing a quick google search), I don't care for him at all. Just based on appearance and playstyle, he doesn't really excite me and I don't think I'm gonna be playing as him or his echo at all unless I choose random.

I was kinda hoping to go into some more character changes, but I guess some of that was already acknowledged during E3.

Chrom looks somewhat interesting. When my brother and I were watching the direct, we assumed he was an Ike clone, but apparently he's a Roy clone with Ike's Aether? That's interesting, but I'll probably stick to Ike. I never really cared much for Chrom (or Lucina while we're talking about Awakening. Robin is fun tho)

7 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I'm super bummed about Chrom, though. The FE roster is such a disappointment, seriously the series has such varied and interesting characters and instead we're stuck with all sword users and almost half the roster from one of 15 games. Marth, Hector, Ike, Robin, and Celica is such a better and well rounded roster that I wouldn't even have minded Roy being cut permanently after Melee or Lyn not being in if it meant better representation for the series. Speaking of, if Chrom was added due to backlash why the heck is Lyn still an AT? She's been requested far longer and has proven to be more popular. Oh I know, Awakening saved the series. Can't we move on already? Sigh.

While I'm not bummed about Chrom, I do have to agree that the FE roster is pretty disappointing, for me at least. I really would've loved to see Celica or Lyn, either of them would've been so cool. Though they both use swords, their appearances at least vary from the current FE roster (blue hair...), and hey, Celica uses magic! That would've been so cool to see!!

side note, did anyone notice the odd stage when they showed off the Monster Hunter Assist trophy?

there were no platforms, it was a walk off stage, and it was completely flat, think he could be a boss from a possible story mode?

14 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You called it, and IMO, it's the best thing they revealed.

I'm not entirely sure if the new mode is a true multi character stock, or just 5 consecutive matches with characters picked before hand, I'm hoping for the former, and I'm also hoping I can be played 4 player so I can play with my siblings 

Also chargeable final smashes are so cool but I hope they don't charge too fast 

Edited by Mackc2

17 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I'm super bummed about Chrom, though. The FE roster is such a disappointment, seriously the series has such varied and interesting characters and instead we're stuck with all sword users and almost half the roster from one of 15 games. Marth, Hector, Ike, Robin, and Celica is such a better and well rounded roster that I wouldn't even have minded Roy being cut permanently after Melee or Lyn not being in if it meant better representation for the series. Speaking of, if Chrom was added due to backlash why the heck is Lyn still an AT? She's been requested far longer and has proven to be more popular. Oh I know, Awakening saved the series. Can't we move on already? Sigh.

Erica Lindbeck outright said around E3 that she hadn't been contacted for Smash; that's as much of a dechromfirmation you can get, really (which also shut down Ashley as soon as we found it she was voicing her in WarioWare Gold).

Lyn has a radically different fighting style to everyone else, while Chrom was explicitly passed up due to his only potential being "an in-between of Marth and Ike".

Like it or not, Awakening is the FFVII of FE at this point and isn't changing anytime soon.

On the bright side, at least it's not like Pokemon-- were 6/9 of the characters are exclusively from Gen 1 with all the odd numbered gens lacking representation. FE at least has each "era" covered (Marth for Nes/Snes, Roy for GBA, Ike for GC/Wii).

1 minute ago, Mackc2 said:

I'm not entirely sure if the new mode is a true multi character stock, or just 5 consecutive matches with characters picked before hand, I'm hoping for the former, and I'm also hoping I can be played 4 player so I can play with my siblings 

Same. Shame they didn't show it off a bit better to clarify. Five consecutive matches would be...well rather pointless.

7 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

side note, did anyone notice the odd stage when they showed off the Monster Hunter Assist trophy?

there were no platforms, it was a walk off stage, and it was completely flat, think he could be a boss from a possible story mode?

Looks to me like a Monster Hunter stage, the aesthetic there is what you'd expect from the series

Now that K. Rool is playable, we can finally reenact this.

Anyway I made a list of the new items, Pokémon, and Assist Trophies in case you forgot them like I did.

Items

Spoiler
  • Banana Gun, that fires in spurts
  • Killing Edge, refine to Slaying Edge when?
  • Bomber
  • Death's Scythe
  • Staff
  • Ramblin' Evil Mushroom
  • Rage Blaster

Pokémon:

Spoiler
  • Alolan Exeggutor
  • Abra
  • Solgaleo
  • Lunala
  • Mimikyu
  • Pyukumuku
  • Vulpix
  • Alolan Vulpix
  • Marshadow
  • Ditto, finally appearing after being cut from Melee

Assist Trophies:

Spoiler
  • Zero
  • & Knuckles
  • Krystal
  • Klaptrap
  • Kapp'n
  • Chef Kawasaki, inheriting Kirby's original Final Smash
  • Gray Fox, returning from Brawl
  • Nikki
  • Shovel Knight
  • Moon
  • Ashley is back
  • Rathalos

One of the things I appreciate the most is being able to group Echo Fighters with their original character, hopefully it will make the CSS less cluttered.

And now Metroid has one unique newcomer and one clone newcomer, just as Fire Emblem did in Smash 4. Does this mean Metroid will get two DLC characters?

Edited by Lightchao42

1 minute ago, Thane said:

I was at work and missed chunks and had low audio; was Chrom an echo of Marth or Ike? He seemed to have the former's side B and latter's up B. 

he is an echo of Roy, but has Ike's Up B

1 minute ago, Thane said:

I was at work and missed chunks and had low audio; was Chrom an echo of Marth or Ike? He seemed to have the former's side B and latter's up B. 

An echo of Roy but with Ike's Up-B.

11 minutes ago, Johann said:

Looks to me like a Monster Hunter stage, the aesthetic there is what you'd expect from the series

It's the Ancestral Steppe from the 4th generation games:
File:MH4U-Ancestral Steppe Screenshot 001.jpg

31 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I hear that. Chrom seemed to get in because of memes more than his merit to the roster. We already had two Awakening reps, why a 3rd? I suppose there is still hope for DLC characters. I'll light a candle for Lyn.

4 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

he is an echo of Roy, but has Ike's Up B

The hell? Isn't Roy just Marth? I thought the joke was Chrom and Ike were too similar, which is why he "missed" Smash 4.

I'm a bit saddened at the current state of the FE segment of the Smash roster. I'm thinking it may be a bit too late right now to make changes to it. I'm hoping in the next game that the Marth expies get dropped and some more unique characters take their places. After all, there'd be so much salt from the general Smash community if we got any more reps, lol.

Edited by Arcphoenix

2 minutes ago, Thane said:

The hell? Isn't Roy just Marth? I thought the joke was Chrom and Ike were too similar, which is why he "missed" Smash 4.

That was just Viridi. Honestly, I think this fits Chrom a lot better.

20 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Like it or not, Awakening is the FFVII of FE at this point and isn't changing anytime soon.

Well yeah, from a purely cynical moneymaking angle. Still, Breath of the Wild was also so absurdly popular that Nintendo sold more copies then Switch consoles. And yet that game hasn't gotten three representatives so far. All it did was providing the design of Link and changed some of his moves. As much as I am looking forward to Chrom, it's pretty absurd.

Edited by BrightBow

So bingo game aside here are my favorite things from the direct.

The inclusion of Simon, Richter, and all the other Castlevania stuff makes me really happy(probably the best thing in the direct for me personally).

Echo fighters are still a great idea and I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of them in this game.

The selection of stages is amazing and the music is INSANE!

All the new modes like Squad Strike and Smashdown are things I've always wanted in smash(okay maybe this was the best part, I can't really decide).

The new assist trophies, while still disappointing in the sense that they won't be playable characters, represent characters and games that make me very happy.

Sakurai's Troll with King Dedede posing as King K Rool was perfect.

In conclusion, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate truly is a game that wants to give the fans everything we've ever wanted and I'm really looking forward to the next big reveal. Fingers crossed that this is the game that finally kills Melee once and for all.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

20 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

On the bright side, at least it's not like Pokemon-- were 6/9 of the characters are exclusively from Gen 1 with all the odd numbered gens lacking representation. FE at least has each "era" covered (Marth for Nes/Snes, Roy for GBA, Ike for GC/Wii).

Yeah definitely, Pokemon has it rough too. Especially now with Gen 1 Pokemon Trainer being back, that roster is really skewed as well.

I would say I'm hopeful for DLC Lyn, Celica, Hector, or anyone not from Awakening but I really don't think FE can add more characters at this point without the overrepresentation meme becoming true. Maybe Edelgard but I don't think even she has a shot.