Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

While I'm not as negative as some...I'm honestly more excited about the Killing Edge item than Chrom. Chrom is:

1. Yet another male sword FE rep, echo or not.
  2. The third Awakening rep.
  3. The fourth fighter whose moveset is based on Marth's (echo or not, Roy is still based on Marth).

Can't help but think he should have just been left in Robin's final smash.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Thane said:

The hell? Isn't Roy just Marth? I thought the joke was Chrom and Ike were too similar, which is why he "missed" Smash 4.

as someone who mained Roy for a while, Roy is a lot heavier and your not focusing on hitting with the tip of the sword

4 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

No Poké Floats :(

never say it's not there's still the possibility of it happening

I think this game is coming from a fantasy world with all of what we've seen

1 minute ago, Thane said:

The hell? Isn't Roy just Marth? I thought the joke was Chrom and Ike were too similar, which is why he "missed" Smash 4.

Marth's fighting style is swift and refined, focusing on thrusts and parries it focuses on speed so damage builds up more over time.
Roy's is more power-focused with swipes and slams, however it isn't as powerful as Ike's style, managing to retain some speed.
Ike's style is somewhat brutish by comparison to Marth's or even Roy's and is basically too heavy to match how Chrom realistically would fight.

That's the thing about it. Chrom's style fits Roy more than Marth's or Ike's he's speedy with a much lighter weapon and can hit hard because he focuses a little more on power than Marth would. I suppose a way to define it is that just because someone can be a fencer doesn't mean they will be.

7 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Well yeah, from a purely cynical moneymaking angle. Still, Breath of the Wild was also so absurdly popular that Nintendo sold more copies then Switch consoles. And yet that game hasn't gotten three representatives so far. All it did was providing the design of Link and changed some of his moves. As much as I am looking forward to Chrom, it's pretty absurd.

It sold amazing, as LoZ tends to do.

Even then, they outright made Link's appearance from that game the default and changed some of his moves to match it-- when he'd kept basically the same moveset since 64, and only had a single design change (OoT - > TP). I'd say in context that's a pretty big nod to a single Zelda game.

10 minutes ago, Thane said:

And "Echo" is just a fancy term for clone, now. The fact they seem to have planned for them now instead of only adding them at the last minute with leftover resources is the reason why we've got as many of them as unique newcomers right now.

Edited by The DanMan

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

While I'm not as negative as some...I'm honestly more excited about the Killing Edge item than Chrom. Chrom is:

1. Yet another male sword FE rep, echo or not.
  2. The third Awakening rep.
  3. The fourth fighter whose moveset is based on Marth's (echo or not, Roy is still based on Marth).

Can't help but think he should have just been left in Robin's final smash.

wonder what Robin's Final Smash will be?

did't PlayStation All Stars have something similar to the smash meter?

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I want them to legalize Final Smash meters, especially since they are weaker. But then Critical Hit still OHKOs so...

Maybe not, they are weaker.

Edit: but then there's still Octopus.

Edited by Arthur97

4 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Maybe Edelgard but I don't think even she has a shot.

I wouldn't be too certain. Corrin was added as DLC after all. Less than the timing of her game, I think the biggest thing holding her back is the devs themselves either being too tired to add more characters and/or them thinking they already did Fire Emblem its due. With Chrom of all people

4 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

wonder what Robin's Final Smash will be?

I could see it being other popular Awakening Characters kinda swooping in to do the same job alongside Robin like Chrom did originally.

Heck, I can see it being Inigo, Owain and Severa as a small selection to just sorta match their popularity but lack of presence.

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Well yeah, from a purely cynical moneymaking angle. Still, Breath of the Wild was also so absurdly popular that Nintendo sold more copies then Switch consoles. And yet that game hasn't gotten three representatives so far. All it did was affecting the default appearance of Link and changed some of his moves.

See, that's because Ocarina of time already did that in Melee. Granted, two of those were reoccurring later on, but the fact remains

As for Chrom's case, considering the technicality that was present with Lucina's inclusion and Chrom being dubbed hard for the very reason she was brought in, not having him now with Lucina still there would be out right hypocritical.

Still, the hype train continues. Let them just confirm a story/adventure and the game'd be perfect for me. That Monster Hunter Boss gives me high hopes

11 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Even then, they outright made Link's appearance from that game the default and changed some of his moves to match it-- when he'd kept basically the same moveset since 64, and only had a single design change (OoT - > TP). I'd say in context that's a pretty big nod to a single Zelda game.

Yeah, BotW gets Link's default appearance and a few of his moves. Meanwhile Awakening by itself gets three characters. You really don't see the difference here?

And gee, don't try to play down BotW's success. Breath of the Wild did FAR better then Zelda games usually do. Remember, the series traditionally doesn't sell that well back in Japan.

And besides making a ton of money, it was absurdly revolutionary. The series has become increasingly linear for decades, culminating in the infamous Skyward Sword. To think that the next big entry in the series would not only go against that trend, but also provide a level of openness that I haven't seen since Morrowind, that's pretty damn mindblowing.

See, that's because Ocarina of time already did that in Melee. Granted, two of those were reoccurring later on, but the fact remains

The only OoT newcomer in that game was Sheik. Ganondorf was just Ganon's most recent incarnation. And let's not forget that they just threw him in at the last minute by slapping Captain Falcon's moveset on the model from the Space World demo.

Edited by BrightBow

7 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

If Awakening is analogous to any other game in Smash it'd be FF7 - a game that took a popular but niche franchise and pushed it into the mainstream. Lo and behold, pretty much all FF content in Smash relates to FF7.... though even that's not much so far.

Tbh I'm not personally that excited for Chrom, but I have friends who are, and that's good enough for me to be happy he's in. That's something to keep in mind for any character.

3 minutes ago, Motendra said:

As for Chrom's case, considering the technicality that was present with Lucina's inclusion and Chrom being dubbed hard for the very reason she was brought in, not having him now with Lucina still there would be out right hypocritical.

Still, the hype train continues. Let them just confirm a story/adventure and the game'd be perfect for me. That Monster Hunter Boss gives me high hopes

Wasn't the stage recognized as something actually from Monster Hunter? If so, why would the story lead them there? Unless it's Melee style which I'd be on board with.

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Yeah, BotW gets Link's default appearance and a few of his moves. Meanwhile Awakening by itself gets three characters. You really don't see the difference here?

And gee, don't try to play down BotW's success. Breath of the Wild did FAR better then Zelda games usually do. Remember, the series traditionally doesn't sell that well back in Japan.

And besides making a ton of money, it was absurdly revolutionary. The series has become increasingly linear for decades, culminating in the infamous Skyward Sword. To think that the next big entry in the series would not only go against that trend, but also provide a level of openness that I haven't seen since Morrowind, that's pretty damn mindblowing.

It got one character (the first magic-using FE character in Smash) and two clones.  It's not like it has 3 unique characters-- 2 of them are glorified skins. They were super easy additions, so it's not like a ton of resources were put towards them-- which, if anything, is what gives them a leg up over any potential BotW character, as they'd have to be a completely unique fighter.

As Robert of Normandy said (echoing my earlier opinion):

3 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

If Awakening is analogous to any other game in Smash it'd be FF7 - a game that took a popular but niche franchise and pushed it into the mainstream. Lo and behold, pretty much all FF content in Smash relates to FF7.... though even that's not much so far.

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

Wait, if Awakening is like FF7, are they going to turn Chrom into an edgelord?

Chrom has already been turned into an Edgelord before. Tokyo Mirage Sessions, lol

So, Castlevania is now crossing over with two reps and a ridiculously enemy filled stage, Chrom and Dark Samus are echo fighters (Chrom looks pretty neat as a Roy alt with Ike and Marth also thrown in) and the next villain too big to get in is now in as well.

This feels more and more like "Well, here you go. this time the wild ride will take the hype train ALL the way!" in terms of new and returned content. I am okay with this, though I wonder if they'd even have the time to make any more echo fighters.

6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The only OoT newcomer in that game was Sheik. Ganondorf was just Ganon's most recent incarnation. And let's not forget that they just threw him in at the last minute by slapping Captain Falcon's moveset on the model from the Space World demo.

- Yes, Ganon's most recent incarnation... that debuted in OoT. Prior to, there was no Ganondorf , just Ganon, which is my point.

- Every LoZ character in Melee was based from OoT; their designs being proof of that (though YLink could potentially be MM, instead, if not both)

10 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Wasn't the stage recognized as something actually from Monster Hunter? If so, why would the story lead them there? Unless it's Melee style which I'd be on board with.

I missed the part about the stage, but we'll have to wait and see

3 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

Didn't Cipher do that already?

Pretty sure Awakening did that already, what with him delivering the country of Plegia to the Grimleal, then fucking up the entire continent of Valentia and then sacrificing the future of his world just so he can keep humping his waifu. Guy caused more harm then any Fire Emblem villain ever did.

The only character who compares is Yune, but her actions are meant to be horrible.

Edited by BrightBow

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

I am okay with this, though I wonder if they'd even have the time to make any more echo fighters.

I would bet there's quite a few, we'll probably get a few with each "true" newcomer reveal. Now that we've seen Richter as a third party echo, I'd put money on Ken and Shadow as echoes in particular.

The fact that I'm a big fan of FE aside, I really don't care about how many reps they have, just like how I don't care about the amount of reps any other franchise has. When people complain about how "all the FE reps play the same", I like to point them over to the Zelda reps, where you have three Links, with very minimal differences between them.

Honestly, I don't think FE deserves the flak it gets from the Smash fanbase. Could the selection be better? Definitely. But the problem started with Brawl - they dropped Roy and picked Ike, the most recent protagonist at the time. Hector and Ephraim were past it by then. They kept this trend going in Smash 4, choosing Robin and Lucina from Awakening, the most recent title. Corrin got in through DLC, because of the timing of his game. My point is, because they chose to keep picking the protagonists from the most recent title, it leads to a lack of variety (so should we blame IS for only making sword lords?). I find it difficult to understand why people are complaining about Chrom. He's an Echo, probably the most unique one due to being a mix of Roy and Ike, and as we know, Echoes take very little time to make, and we know that 'slots' don't exist. So what if he's an Awakening rep? That's got nothing to do with it. Sakurai was cruel to him during Robin and Lucina's reveal trailer in Smash 4, he's a very popular Lord, and he clearly did well in the ballot (I think, judging from the newcomers we've been getting). He got in due to popularity. And if people complain about that, well...Ridley says hi.

My apologies for the lengthy paragraph, this kind of thing frustrates me.

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Pretty sure Awakening did that already, what with him delivering the country of Plegia to the Grimleal, then fucking up the entire continent of Valentia and then sacrificing the future of his world just so he can keep humping his waifu. Guy caused more harm then any Fire Emblem villain ever did.

The only character who compares is Yune, but her actions are meant to be horrible.

Well, he did liberate Valm from a dictator and had to run off to, you know, deal with a dragon that threatened them too. And it's not like he was telling the world to go die by sealing Grima. Assuming they didn't mess up in the future, Grima could theoretically never be released again.

Also, don't assume female Robin and if you do, don't assume they're married.

So much good stuff got revealed in this direct. Castlevania is in Smash now and even though I only played Aria of Sorrow I'm glad to see the franchise here. I will probably try out one of the Belmonts and hopefully one of them will have a color alt based on Soma Cruz. Chrom finally gets his chance (suck it Kid Icarus) and I will definitely be playing as him.

Totally called Zero being an assist trophy and I'm surprised seeing Shovel Knight here as one as well but being an assist trophy was probably Shovel Knight's best chance of showing up in Smash at all.

Also, finally we have Fire Emblem items in Smash now. We got Killing Edge (yay, another sword) but at least it is something. Now can we please have the Javelin and/or Hand Axe as well?