Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

mean, I dunno how Micaiah, Hector or Celica would work as Echoes,

Micaiah could borrow from Zelda I guess, since she too is a magical female. The specials need to be retooled, but otherwise it's possible.

Celica as a Robin Echo, well they could blend Robin with Marth's swordplay, the character Celica is a clone of in FEW. Since Celica's games have always lacked weapon durability, I'd say she can have the advantage of lacking this mechanic compared to Robin. As a tradeoff, she'd like in her games suffer damage when using her magic. She'll always have her magic, unlike Robin once their durability is gone, but it'll come at a cost.

Celica's spells do differ, but Excalibur could easily replace Elwind. Although she herself doesn't get it, Nosferatu is in Valentia and they could pull a Ness. Thoron and Elfire are the two bigger issues. Replacing Elfire with Ragnarok isn't exactly the best, since Ragnarok is Celica's deadliest spell. So instead I'd replace Thunder-Elthunder-Arcthunder-Thoron with Fire-Ragnarok-Ragnarok Omega. This just leaves replacing Elfire, and here, finding a way to sub in Seraphim would be best.

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

He has a few other times he shows up too, and Alucard is quick to say he is the most powerful of his clan in SoTN, although way further down in the timeline Julius did surpass Richter.

I thought Simon was the strongest? Richter being called the strongest by Alucard in SotN doesn't mean a lot. Alucard helped Trevor/Ralph and then slept until Symphony, he's only known two Belmonts at the time. And he also got to know Sonia Belmont really, really closely. 

I do want Issac in Smash. Ideally with more than just Earth/Venus psynergy, give me all four elements, and when he has to use the sword, try to make it with unleashes or Djinn. We'd get him and only him, so I want as much Golden Sun diversity in Issac (maybe with a Felix Echo, and NO MATTHEW!) as possible. Of course, I want a Golden Sun 4 that covers everything left unresolved and fixes all the problems from Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Although that would take a game twice as long as the average Tales I think to accomplish.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I thought Simon was the strongest? Richter being called the strongest by Alucard in SotN doesn't mean a lot. Alucard helped Trevor/Ralph and then slept until Symphony, he's only known two Belmonts at the time.

Each successive Belmont is stronger than his predecessor, with the Whip’s Memory that Jonathan Morris faces off in 1944 being Richter Belmont, the last Belmont to use the whip at the time, and being cited in-game as the strongest.

Richter is later overtaken as the strongest by his descendant Julius Belmont, the man that killed Dracula off for good by ending his cycle of returning every century.

Edited by Dai

1 minute ago, Dai said:

Each successive Belmont is stronger than his predecessor, with the Whip’s Memory that Jonathan Morris faces off in 1944 being Richter Belmont, the last Belmont to use the whip at the time, and being cited in-game as the strongest.

Richter is later overtaken as the strongest by his descendant Julius Belmont, the man that killed Dracula off for good by ending his cycle of returning every century.

Julius is among the strongest, that I won't dispute, since Dracula is stated to have returned to his full power in 1999 (something which he had been last fought at when?). But I don't believe he was responsible for sealing Dracula's castle in the eclipse, which thus severed his power from himself and ended his endless resurrections. That I think was said to have been the work of a Japanese Shinto priest (and probably Alucard).

As for each successive Belmont being stronger than the last, I'll nitpick here with Juste, partly because I kinda don't like Harmony of Dissonance. Juste we can't really tell how strong he was, since all he fought was Dracula Wraith, not an actual resurrected Dracula, just the spectre born of Drac's remains being collected, a fragment of a resurrection at the very most.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Julius is among the strongest, that I won't dispute, since Dracula is stated to have returned to his full power in 1999 (something which he had been last fought at when?). But I don't believe he was responsible for sealing Dracula's castle in the eclipse, which thus severed his power from himself and ended his endless resurrections. That I think was said to have been the work of a Japanese Shinto priest (and probably Alucard).

As for each successive Belmont being stronger than the last, I'll nitpick here with Juste, partly because I kinda don't like Harmony of Dissonance. Juste we can't really tell how strong he was, since all he fought was Dracula Wraith, not an actual resurrected Dracula, just the spectre born of Drac's remains being collected, a fragment of a resurrection at the very most.

That’s fair. Juste is an odd duck, but he still counts for something, being a part of the “Greatest Five” alongside Leon, Trevor, Simon, and Richter.

Matthew would make sense as Isaac's Echo, being his son and all, not to mention closer to him in physique than Felix. Although, Felix was Isaac's counterpart from Lost Age, and the height difference could always be mitigated. Presumably Felix would be the stronger but slower counterpart? And maybe their respective Final Smashes would feature Garet, Ivan, and Mia for Isaac and Jenna, Sheba, and Piers for Felix?

Impa could totally be Sheik's Echo, using the OoT version as the base.

Since Zelda doesn't have a Hilda skin, perhaps Hilda will be her Echo?

Edited by Lord_Brand

11 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Since Dark Samus and K. Rool are playable now, the total number of playable characters created outside Japan has multiplied by three.

I hope Mike Jones from StarTropics and Shantae makes it in to become a newcomer. I know the NES Classic Edition managed to become #1 Best Selling Video Game Console as of right now since StarTropics was in as one of the 30 NES games included and plus, there were some people did put Mike Jones in the Fighter Ballot before it was officially closed in October 3rd 2015. And plus that Shovel Knight was in the game as an assist trophy and he was created in America, I'm kinda wondering we could see more characters that were created outside of Japan in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

Speaking of which, do you guys know which Final Fantasy character should be echoing Cloud Strife and which main protagonist might be came second in the Final Fantasy ranking? I think I heard Terra Branford from Final Fantasy VI (formally called III) or Noctis Lucis Caelum from Final Fantasy XV might possibly be have higher chance before Cloud and I don't know if they might work as Cloud's Echo Fighter. But, I totally think Ken from Street Fighter is definitely possible to be added as Ryu's Echo Fighter along with Ms. Pac-Man as Pac-Man's Echo Fighter since Richert Belmont was added as Simon Belmont's Echo Fighter. I don't know about Jeanne from Bayonetta would might make as Bayonetta's Echo Fighter?

Edited by King Marth 64

2 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Speaking of which, do you guys know which Final Fantasy character should be echoing Cloud Strife and which main protagonist might be came second in the Final Fantasy ranking?

Probably Zack, since he's the original wielder of the Buster Sword. The thing with FF representation in Smash is that they are very clearly sticking just FF7. When they were going through some of the names in the My Music section, the FF section was specifically called Final Fantasy 7. Going by that, if Cloud's getting any echo, it's Zack. But i doubt it. There's still only two FF songs, which says a lot about SE's side of the deal.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Probably Zack, since he's the original wielder of the Buster Sword. The thing with FF representation in Smash is that they are very clearly sticking just FF7. When they were going through some of the names in the My Music section, the FF section was specifically called Final Fantasy 7. Going by that, if Cloud's getting any echo, it's Zack. But i doubt it. There's still only two FF songs, which says a lot about SE's side of the deal.

Square Enix is making KONAMI look generous by comparison. If they add in Steve Burton as a voice option for Cloud, I’ll be amazed.

4 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Speaking of which, do you guys know which Final Fantasy character should be echoing Cloud Strife and which main protagonist might be came second in the Final Fantasy ranking? I think I heard Terra Branford from Final Fantasy VI (formally called III) or Noctis Lucis Caelum from Final Fantasy XV might possibly be have higher chance before Cloud and I don't know if they might work as Cloud's Echo Fighter

Definitely not Terra since she is more of a mage that holds a sword for show, not sure what Noctis' playstyle is but at this point I'm pretty sure only Final Fantasy 7 is representing Final Fantasy as a whole. Only one game for representation (out of 15 main games) and 2 songs from the series is kind of pathetic once you look at what the other third parties are offering. And people complain about too many Awakening characters in Smash. At least Fire Emblem has Marth, Ike and Roy to represent other games in its series. Sorry if this is turning into a rant.

6 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Definitely not Terra since she is more of a mage that holds a sword for show, not sure what Noctis' playstyle is but at this point I'm pretty sure only Final Fantasy 7 is representing Final Fantasy as a whole. Only one game for representation (out of 15 main games) and 2 songs from the series is kind of pathetic once you look at what the other third parties are offering. And people complain about too many Awakening characters in Smash. At least Fire Emblem has Marth, Ike and Roy to represent other games in its series. Sorry if this is turning into a rant.

It’s kind of why I hope Squeenix doesn’t recieve another rep. If they’re going to treat Cloud and Final Fantasy as a whole so poorly, do we really want another character to be so limited?

2 hours ago, Dai said:

It’s kind of why I hope Squeenix doesn’t recieve another rep. If they’re going to treat Cloud and Final Fantasy as a whole so poorly, do we really want another character to be so limited?

Which is kind of sad since they have so many franchises that could be repped in Smash through Playable characters/Assist Trophies/etc. like Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Bravely Default, and Nier (I think is Square but is too recent anyways) but I think I remember hearing it was difficult for even Sakurai to get Cloud into smash. I don't know, I'm still glad that Final Fantasy fans at least gets Cloud but I think when Konami of all companies is more open to collaborate for a big name game like Smash Bros I feel like you are doing something wrong.

18 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Which is kind of sad since they have so many franchises that could be repped in Smash through Playable characters/Assist Trophies/etc. like Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Bravely Default, and Nier (I think is Square but is too recent anyways) but I think I remember hearing it was difficult for even Sakurai to get Cloud into smash. I don't know, I'm still glad that Final Fantasy fans at least gets Cloud but I think when Konami of all companies is more open to collaborate for a big name game like Smash Bros I feel like you are doing something wrong.

That’s exactly the problem. Recent practices aside, Konami has been stellar with Smash thus far. Simon, Richter, Alucard Assist Trophy, Dracula’s Castle with a butt load of memorable hazard bosses, thirty-four music tracks, the return of Snake, Shadow Moses Island, and Gray Fox, plus a Bomberman assist trophy? Is it enough to forgive them? Not really, but it goes a long way.

On Square’s side, we have, thus far, Cloud Strife with his usual muted alts, Midgar, and two songs. That’s abysmal.

6 hours ago, NoirCore said:

I mean, I dunno how Micaiah, Hector or Celica would work as Echoes, given the point was making Chrom with little resources instead of a new moveset with so much development time put in. You got me on Eliwood except that he's not voiced by Matt Mercer.

given micaiah's resources she easily could have been a zelda echo and celica could have just used robin's moveset but have her damage herself with every special (see pichu) rather than drop tomes,I doubt you would have had any complaints past the typical "ree, too many fire emblem".

I strongly believe that FF will have more than two songs, this could just be another early build. I think we're being a bit too quick to judge Square atm, but if it does turn out to be just two songs, it'll be very disappointing. However, I don't think Sakurai would agree to having only two songs? Smash 4 had a pass due to being DLC, but this is all in the base game.

I'd love to see Zack as a Cloud Echo, and he's actually my number one pick for an Echo fighter now that Chrom is in.

17 minutes ago, Lau said:

I strongly believe that FF will have more than two songs, this could just be another early build. I think we're being a bit too quick to judge Square atm, but if it does turn out to be just two songs, it'll be very disappointing. However, I don't think Sakurai would agree to having only two songs? Smash 4 had a pass due to being DLC, but this is all in the base game.

I'd love to see Zack as a Cloud Echo, and he's actually my number one pick for an Echo fighter now that Chrom is in.

I hope they have a good reason to be so secretive, then. As it is, even the previous game’s DLC with Ryu and Bayonetta did better.

39 minutes ago, Dai said:

I hope they have a good reason to be so secretive, then. As it is, even the previous game’s DLC with Ryu and Bayonetta did better.

The only reasons they'd have to be secretive are either A) They're waiting to reveal that stuff alongside another character, or B) It's there, it's just underwhelming and not quite finished yet.

After thinking about it for awhile I'm starting to wonder if it will be possible to set characters like F!Corrin/Robin and Koopalings for Bowser Jr. as defaults on the character selection screen since it is apparently possible set echoes fighters eg. Daisy over Peach as default because I would like to not have to scroll over to F!Corrin every time I want to pick that character to play as.

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The only reasons they'd have to be secretive are either A) They're waiting to reveal that stuff alongside another character, or B) It's there, it's just underwhelming and not quite finished yet.

It just feels really odd just seeing the FF content largely unchanged so far.

Speaking of potential Echo Fighters, I have a few in mind that could actually work.

Morgan (Robin Echo) - If she’s not his Pair Up partner then she’s a great candidate as a Robin Echo Fighter. Probably the easiest to make and implement.

Black Knight (Ike Echo) - It would make a lot of sense. He’s also a villain. 

Eliwood (Cloud Echo) - If S-E is still stingy, I can see this happen. Both characters have a few things in common: Main characters from the 7th entry of their respective series. Kinda calm and collected personalities. Both have very big swords and...they have the same Japanese voice actor. Chrom showed that Echo Fighters don’t have to be 1:1 copies of the fighter they’re based on so they can change some of Eliwood’s moves around and basically make him into Fire Cloud. 

Black Shadow (Cpt. Falcon Echo) - He basically becomes Melee Ganondorf with some moves tweaked here and there. 

Shadow (Sonic Echo) - Sure, he has his different moves his Chaos Control powers but he doesn’t really need to be a 1:1 copy of Sonic. He can get the Dark Samus treatment. 

Funky Kong (Donkey Kong Echo) - He’s basically the star of the Tropical Freeze port and he’s gotten plenty of attention lately.

Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong Echo) - With Echo Fighters not having to be carbon copies of the original fighter they’re based on, Dixie could actually be a thing. 

As for potential newcomers, if they are truly going by the Heroes VS Villains theme...

Sephiroth - If S-E is actually feeling generous. This gives Cloud his own villain and it’d break the internet again.

Hardin, Zephiel or Garon - With so many FE heroes in Smash, I think it’s time Smahs gets an actual villain. Out of the 3 I mentioned, I’d probably go with Hardin since he’d be the most unique of the bunch and Marth would get his foil. 

Porky - He was a boss in Brawl so they could bring him back with a different mecha.

Dr. Eggman - The developers have already worked on mech-based fighters and Dr. Eggman would be a perfect fit for Smash. 

Heihachi Mishima - Sakurai has considered him in the past so I could actually see him put Heihachi this time. I’d rather have Kazuya. 

Gen 7 Pokemon - There’s a bunch of Alolan Pokemon as Poke Ball summons so they clearly know about Gen 7. With Mimikyu deconfirmed, that leaves Decidueye, Incineroar, Lycanroc, Tapu Koko and Zeraora as potential newcomers. 

Golden Sun character - Isaac was okay but I’d prefer Saturos or even Alex with the Mercury Lighthouse Aerie as a stage. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

The only Echo I'd particularly like to see is Jeanne from Bayonetta. Mainly because she basically functions that way to begin with in the base game. As dozens of people have mentioned already, Celica could make for an interesting and easy character by just tweaking Robin's moveset to be self damaging, but infinite durability. Impa would also be nice. I don't particularly want it, nor do I expect it to happen, but just to throw ideas out there, Raiden could work pretty well as a Snake Echo, with a different dash attack based on his cartwheel and a Final Smash where he goes nuts with a sword.

6 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

given micaiah's resources she easily could have been a zelda echo and celica could have just used robin's moveset but have her damage herself with every special (see pichu) rather than drop tomes,I doubt you would have had any complaints past the typical "ree, too many fire emblem".

I think in Celica's case, that'd be too different to be considered an Echo, but Chrom is Roy with Ike's Up+B, so who knows. As for Micaiah, I dunno if they have any rules where the character they Echo must be from the same series, given that's been the case for everyone so far.

38 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

I think in Celica's case, that'd be too different to be considered an Echo.

But that wouldn't really be different at all. They could get away with changing literally one aspect of the moveset and leaving everything else essentially the same, ala Lucina (albeit Thoron really wouldn't suit her as well as Robin, but they could still totally do it).

Now that K. Rool's been confirmed, the only character I'd want to see is Phoenix Wright, but that's a pipe dream - despite Phoenix being playable in one of the Marvel Vs. Capcom games.

Edited by NinjaMonkey