Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

2 hours ago, Johann said:

The direct does say that there's no gameplay difference between Simon and Richter, it's purely an aesthetic thing, I'm not sure they'd mislead us on that

Some people are thinking that Richter has a tipper on his whip, going off his trailer but we can’t confirm that yet.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Johann said:

The direct does say that there's no gameplay difference between Simon and Richter, it's purely an aesthetic thing, I'm not sure they'd mislead us on that

I could definitely see them going all in on bosses and villains from different games if that's the idea. I'd argue it slightly improves the chances of seeing characters like Black Knight, Medusa, or Robotnik pop in either as playable or as a boss.

I don't recall them saying that. If that's so, why is he even being classed as an Echo fighter when he's more along the lines of the Koopalings.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't recall them saying that. If that's so, why is he even being classed as an Echo fighter when he's more along the lines of the Koopalings.

The direct says "while their strengths are the same, their animations are different". It implies that there's no gameplay difference but there has to be at least one, because otherwise he would've just been an alt.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

The direct says "while their strengths are the same, their animations are different". It implies that there's no gameplay difference but there has to be at least one, because otherwise he would've just been an alt.

Different taunts/victory animations as well as Richter's Holy Water causing blue fire while Simon's causes red.

Maybe they both have a tipper mechanic (which would make sense, honestly) and the speed difference is just a placebo effect/overanalysis finding things that aren't there.

I think the distinctions with Richter and Daisy are that they have new voice clips, idle animations, and taunts, which is something you couldn't say about the koopalings or Alph as far as I'm aware. There isn't enough footage from either character to discern any gameplay differences at this time but something could always be hidden under the surface. 

Spoiler
  • Dark Pit's Silver Bow arrows deal 2% more damage than Pit's Palutena's Arrows at full charge.
  • Dark Pit's Silver Bow also has slightly more knockback than Pit's Palutena's Arrow. However, It is slightly slower.
  • Dark Pit's arrows have less range and cannot be curved as dynamically as Pit's.
  • Dark Pit has no light rings to charge up his arrow.
  • Electroshock Arm deals strong horizontal knockback which KO's sooner than Pit's Upperdash Arm if hitting foes off the side blast zones of the stage. It also does 0.5% more damage. However, it has less vertical KO power.
  • Electroshock Arm also has the electric effect.
  • Forward tilt deals less knockback.
  • Dark Pit's Final Smash is different.
  • Dark Pit's victory theme and poses (including quotes), and taunts are different. His "NO CONTEST" pose is also different.

These are the differences between Pit and Dark Pit as of three years ago. It’s likely that Richter and Daisy will follow a similar path.

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I think the distinctions with Richter and Daisy are that they have new voice clips, idle animations, and taunts, which is something you couldn't say about the koopalings or Alph as far as I'm aware.

The Koopalings and Alph have their own voice clips, but other than that, you're right.

It's worth noting though that Daisy has a smaller hitbox than Peach.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The Koopalings and Alph have their own voice clips, but other than that, you're right.

It's worth noting though that Daisy has a smaller hitbox than Peach.

Alph and Olimar don't actually have any voice clips, alas.

Which is a shame, Olimar's surprisingly deep baritone would probably throw a lot of people off if they weren't already familiar with his games.

GameXplain had a good theory with the bosses and them appearing on what looks to be separate stages. The direct mentioned that there are conditions to make Dracula appear, which is similar to some of the events in Melee's Adventure mode like Giga Bowser. So they could be involved in a mode like that.

Weird thought I had with Richter: have we seen his Final Smash yet? For some reason I'm stuck on the idea that he'd get Hydro Storm instead of Grand Cross.

....probably not, I imagine if that was the case we'd have heard about it. But who knows.

3 hours ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Weird thought I had with Richter: have we seen his Final Smash yet? For some reason I'm stuck on the idea that he'd get Hydro Storm instead of Grand Cross.

....probably not, I imagine if that was the case we'd have heard about it. But who knows.

I didn't see it in either the direct or his character trailer. Even if it is different they might have chosen to wait till later to show it for whatever reason. They also haven't shown how different Robin's final smash is either despite showing Chrom as playable now. There are also other character's final smash that we don't know how much has changed like Peach and Yoshi as well.

Edited by NSSKG151
added more

3 hours ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Probably just Grand Cross. Hydro Storm was definitely better and more popular in Symphony, but he uses Grand Cross in the opening of Rondo, and it's the only Item Crash he has in Portrait of Ruin. I figure the developers see it as the more iconic move.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

That doesn't imply there's no gameplay difference, just that they excel at the same things 

Edited by Jotari

5 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

About the differences between Peach and Daisy, I think that Daisy will not have the floating dress ability and considering her tomboyish personality, she might be stronger but slower than Peach.

Sounds like Peach would be better entirely. XD

7 minutes ago, Dai said:

Sounds like Peach would be better entirely. XD

Yeah, that came to mind. One of Peach’s greatest strength is her mobility. But considering the floating is an ability heavily associated with Peach, I don’t see Daisy getting. And Daisy being stronger and slower can be because in most Mario spin-offs sports games, Daisy tends to have more physical strength than Peach. In Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, Daisy was actually the third strongest character losing only to DK and Bowser. Yes, Daisy was stronger than Wario in that game.

21 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

But considering the floating is an ability heavily associated with Peach, I don’t see Daisy getting.

About that...

I recently realized that out of the nine third-party characters in this Nintendo game, only two of them (Mega Man and Simon) first appeared on a Nintendo console. It really makes you think...

3 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

About that...

I recently realized that out of the nine third-party characters in this Nintendo game, only two of them (Mega Man and Simon) first appeared on a Nintendo console. It really makes you think...

Metal Gear was initially on NES, if memory serves. Wasn't Snake in that?

2 minutes ago, Dai said:

Metal Gear was initially on NES, if memory serves. Wasn't Snake in that?

The original Metal Gear was first released on the MSX2, the NES version was a port that Kojima had no involvement with (though the NES version was the first Metal Gear game to be released in America).

Edited by Lightchao42

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

The original Metal Gear was first released on the MSX2; the NES version was a port that Kojima had no involvement with.

Ah, well, that makes sense.

I still wanna count it.

6 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

About that...

Yeah, that picture. I just saw it when I went to the Smash Bros official site to see the differences between Peach and Daisy. Her pose kinda confused me though.

Also with Simon and Richter in the game now, you can have an 8 player smash with entirely 3rd party characters.

Edited by Jedi

Here's another daily dose of irony with Top 10 Anime Conversations That Aged Poorly:

• Chrom: ...Certainly more useful than a simple swordsman like myself.
  • Viridi: Plus, you and Ike are too similar. No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?
  • Chrom: Excuse me?!
  • Palutena: What's more, you don't have an Aether recovery move like Ike does, do you?
  • Chrom: Quiet, you!

In this game, Chrom is pretty much a carbon copy... of Roy, and the only thing that Chrom does take from Ike... is an Aether recovery move.

Not to mention that introducing more carbon copies is one of Ultimate's main selling points.

2 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Here's another daily dose of irony with Top 10 Anime Conversations That Aged Poorly:

• Viridi: Plus, you and Ike are too similar. No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?
  • Palutena: What's more, you don't have an Aether recovery move like Ike does, do you?

In this game, Chrom is pretty much a carbon copy... of Roy, and the only thing that Chrom does take from Ike... is an Aether recovery move.

Not to mention that introducing more carbon copies is one of Ultimate's main selling points.

You know what’s funnier is that his Aether animation is more inspired From Awakening than even Ike’s Aether.

Apperently he has a unique side tilt too according to reddit which would be cool if true. Since he already had a model in smash 4 I’d imagine it was easier to give him some more unique characteristics.

10 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

That conversation already became ironic and aged poorly as soon as you unlocked Dark Pit, from Viridi's own franchise.