Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

4 minutes ago, James Bond said:

So will they add any more new characters or do they think it’s just too big and there is no need to? Because honestly if that is the case then I wish they could get rid of all the clone characters and just add new ones for the sake of diversity...

Echo Characters. The only clones are Snake and Mewtwo.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just got a glimpse of the game's base roster in Treehouse!

Every FE character is locked.

Except Ike. :D YAY IKE! He's too special to lock up behind requirements! Maybe because he's probably the most popular playable in this group? Who cares, I can pick my favorite hero right away! <3

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Except Ike. :D YAY IKE! He's too special to lock up behind requirements! Maybe because he's probably the most popular playable? Who cares, I can pick my favorite hero right away! <3

Say what now? No one is locked in the Treehouse demo

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Speaking as a speedrunner, I can say no, a lot of randos outside speedrunning communities hate glitches and will berate your craft because it doesn't look fun to them. Pretty much every speed game with sequence breaks and major glitches gets an occasional comment like "wtf how is this a speedrun??? All you do is run straight to the last area and glitch through some walls? Do you ACTUALLY think this is impressive? I don't know how anybody can spend so many hours not playing the game and instead just breaking it. I could beat the game this fast without glitches".

For some reason they always add that they can beat the game the fastest with nothing to back it up. People get totally triggered when you play a video game different from them. A similar animosity appeared back in Melee and Brawl when a competitive scene was developing and kids were being beaten by "cheaters". But L-Cancelling is an intended mechanic - it appears in official online websites for Smash 64 under the name "smooth landing". Wave dashing is as much a glitch as your ability to jump during Link's attacks in Breath of the Wild.  Capital G glitches in Melee are Ness' yoyo thing and Mewtwo pulling people through the stage from the ledge. Interesting but those are bottom tier characters. Even Smash 4 still has glitches that the patch team didn't care to remove. Like Greninja's Shadow Sneak Cancel. Mega Man, Sonic, Link, Toon Link, and Peach all had similar tech but they had theirs patched out before the Wii U version even released. 

As for a KH3 trailer during Nintendo Direct, I'm not sure I can handle another Utada Hikaru song replacing all the sound effects in Kingdom Hearts footage. Soooo weird.

yeah i guess. those people are petty/have bad opinions, but it can't be helped

exactly. i...knew all of this, but it's nice to see someone else does too. check out the soul stunner glitch if you don't know about it; that's a fun one.

the new game looks promising.

The new Zelda looks pretty cute compared to the pale vampire we had in Smash 4.

Also my former main Young Link is back.

So i'm not too unhappy with this reveal even if i'm still hoping for one or two more newcomers.

Oops, I didn't see Marth and Corrin in that roster at first, they're actually there too. I missed them because I was assuming every character from the same series would be grouped together like before. My bad! There are characters missing from that roster though, that we know are in the game.

Sakurai played Ike! And he won! HAHA, go Ike! "You'll get no sympathy from me!"

Edited by Anacybele

I... I... wow. 

I don’t even care that my bingo card is ruined. This is exactly what I wanted. Officially the best roster ever in a fighting game. 

Spoiler

Told you guys. No cuts.

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Except Ike. :D YAY IKE! He's too special to lock up behind requirements! Maybe because he's probably the most popular playable in this group? Who cares, I can pick my favorite hero right away! <3

They actually said the base roster is really small, like, only the 64 crew, and everybody else has to be unlocked.

Which I like, I LOVE unlocking characters and watching the roster grow.

Edited by Anomalocaris

2 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

They actually said the base roster is really small, like, only the 64 crew, and everybody else has to be unlocked.

Which I like, I LOVE unlocking characters and watching the roster grow.

Yeah, I know.

I'm not sure I like having so many unlockable characters though. I didn't care for it in Melee especially because of some ridiculous requirements for a few. Brawl was better about it, but still rather eh. I can only hope there are no stupid requirements for this game.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I know.

I'm not sure I like having so many unlockable characters though. I didn't care for it in Melee especially because of some ridiculous requirements for a few. Brawl was better about it, but still rather eh. I can only hope there are no stupid requirements for this game.

Probably not, he said it was quick and streamlined to unlock 'em.

2 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Probably not, he said it was quick and streamlined to unlock 'em.

Yeah, and I really do hope that means as quick and streamlined as I'd like.

On the Smash website, they have  short 20 second videos for every character. Some of them have a few little things we didn't know about, like Roy's Map 1 song, and Ike's Eruption now makes a forward moving explosion:

3 minutes ago, Dai said:

ss_1.jpg

Snrk. Oh man, that looks so jank.

I think Young Link's hat here bugged out a bit. o.O

I just watched the 20 second Ike video. I'm always loving some of him. <3