Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Denomon3144 said:

Are the current 65 characters the final roster? If so, I would have thought that there would be a few more newcomers, but the selection is still great.

There's no way that they revealed the final roster so quickly. Sakurai said not to expect too many newcomers but i'm sure we'll see a few more. Plus, DLC is a thing.

I just want a second Xenoblade rep.

Edited by Armagon

22 minutes ago, Florete said:

Hey, wait a minute...Sheik is #16. Zelda is #17. Why is Sheik numbered before Zelda?

Sheik was revealed first.

Notice how Sheik is shown as playable, but not Zelda. Probably why Sheik is before Zelda in the order number.

As a side-note, the cinematic also shows why Peach, Bowser, and Ice Climbers are 13, 14, and 15. As it's their order of appearance from Melee's very first trailer. Sheik, as the last one revealed, hence 16.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Sheik was revealed first.

Notice how Sheik is shown as playable, but not Zelda. Probably why Sheik is before Zelda in the order number.

My first instinct was to say that can't be right, but after looking at the order for everyone else a bit more, that seems to have merit. The Smash 64 and Melee characters aren't the easiest to pinpoint, but otherwise everyone seems to be ordered in reveal order. If that is the case, I'm still surprised they went with this order based on such a small detail.

16 minutes ago, Florete said:

My first instinct was to say that can't be right, but after looking at the order for everyone else a bit more, that seems to have merit. The Smash 64 and Melee characters aren't the easiest to pinpoint, but otherwise everyone seems to be ordered in reveal order. If that is the case, I'm still surprised they went with this order based on such a small detail.

Well, for the Smash 64 characters, the starting characters at least seem to correspond in the order they're introduced here:

If it's like Melee where the first trailer is included in the intro cinematic of the game, then it might as well be reveal order as well. Probably not counting the part where Master Hand takes out two character dolls at random, as that part of the sequence seems to be just for the game, not part of the rest of the cinematic.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

52 minutes ago, Florete said:

Hey, wait a minute...Sheik is #16. Zelda is #17. Why is Sheik numbered before Zelda?

Why is mostly because Sheik was revealed first, but also because I remember hearing way back in 2001/2002 that Zelda wasn’t originally going to be a fighter, as they couldn’t come with a moveset for her. And if you pay attention, in Melee, Peach and Zelda actually the same models and animations for a lot of things, so it’s likely that Zelda barely made it to Melee, and perhaps was originally a Peach clone, or Echo Fighter as they are now called.

God, when will the whiny Waluigi fanboys shut up... They're complaining about Daisy getting in but not him in like every Twitter Smash post.

Figures people would find SOMETHING to complain about though. They always do.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

God, when will the whiny Waluigi fanboys shut up... They're complaining about Daisy getting in but not him in like every Twitter Smash post.

Figures people would find SOMETHING to complain about though. They always do.

Not trying to defend them here but i personally am pretty bummed that Waluigi got regulated to Assist Trophy status again and that scene where Marth KOs him is just rubbing salt in the wound.

Just now, Armagon said:

Not trying to defend them here but i personally am pretty bummed that Waluigi got regulated to Assist Trophy status again and that scene where Marth KOs him is just rubbing salt in the wound.

Yeah, it's fine to be disappointed, but like every other Twitter post replying to Smash posts seems to be salt over that.

Sakurai: Let me show you a new Echo Fighter right now!

Me: PleasebetheSA-XpleasebetheSA-XpleasebetheSA-X

Trailer: HI I'M DAISY

Me: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Sakurai: BTW Pichu's back

Me: FRICKIN' SAKURAI I'LL NEVER TALK BAD ABOUT YOU AGAIN YOU MAGNIFICENT HUMAN BEING

...In all seriousness, holy frick. I feel a bit awkward having been pissed at everyone saying they wanted Ridley for being ridiculous, but I will hold to my opinion that we could have had one of the Hunters from Prime Hunters or Corruption and been at least as well off. I've already seen a bunch of people who wanted Ridley being (self-censored)s about how they knew it all along and take that you enemies of progress, and I doubt it'll get any better. On the other hand, that reveal trailer was beautiful(possible exception the very minor Other M reference when Ridley first breaks through the floor, please don't remind the Metroid fanbase that game happened).

He-hey! Marth will finally speak Engish in Smash, as expected.  I liked his Smash 4 artwork, but I must say, his new art is lookin' pretty dapper. Sooooo.....I presume Roy will speak English, too? After Heroes, there's pretty much no reason not to.

The guys at GameXplain really got some things right on the money. At the same time though, some things I know disappointed them inside. They finally get Ridley, but Bomberman is only an Assist Trophy. Like, I feel happy for them, but I'm also so sorry...  ._.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, it's fine to be disappointed, but like every other Twitter post replying to Smash posts seems to be salt over that.

I mean, some of them are pretty funny though

1 minute ago, Carter said:

Does anyone know where I can find high-quality images of the fighters? Peach, Zelda, and ZSS look so great! I'm so happy for my mains!

Here you go

https://imgur.com/a/WEDylzM

Now that I think about it, I wonder why PoR Ike is the default instead of RD Ike. Speaking of Ike, we know he's voiced by Greg Chun now (as he is in Heroes), so I imagine Alexis Tipton will voice Lucina here as well. And if Marth is speaking English now then Roy should follow suit.

Sakurai said to not expect too many newcomers, but how many is too many? Will we get five? Seven though she's already in Shulk's Final Smash? Ten? With that in mind and Takamaru being confirmed as an assist, the only characters I really hope get in are a Rex & Pyra duo and a Rhythm Heaven character. Anyone else is a bonus.

And you never saw it coming, but Xander Mobus is back as the announcer!

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That's because Waluigi is the Yamcha of Nintendo, he's the eternal punching bag who never gets respect no matter how hard he tries.

@Carter It seems to me that Pokémon Trainer takes up one spot while Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zero Suit Samus are still separate.

Edited by Lightchao42

Things look okay for Smash. When I'm an offline noncompetitive single player, it is hard for me to really care too much. The $60 are in all likelihood better spent elsewhere for my enjoyment.

I'm not sure if I love the Zelda redesign, but I do like A Link Between Worlds getting attention. I hope Zelda is for once not junk competitively as a side note.

And Young Link, although totally unnecessary, is nice to have for someone who has a strong fondness for them rooted in a childhood of OoT.

Shame no Elma reveal or anything, but oh well if she doesn't get in.

Why is Falcondorf still a thing? Trident, twin swords, monosword, dark magic being useful for more than just an aura on punches and kicks. Change him!

The new Zelda stage looks a little boring and plain, if understandable as a choice since getting all of Hyrule just isn't possible outside of a tour-style stage. Would've been nice if they'd revealed New Donk City as an SMO stage.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why is Falcondorf still a thing? Trident, twin swords, monosword, dark magic being useful for more than just an aura on punches and kicks. Change him!

Ganondorf's Smash Attacks actually got some substantial changes from what i've seen. Before, it was just Falcon's Smash Attacks but slower.

31 minutes ago, Carter said:

So, I saw that Zelda still has her phantom slash attack, so I assume that she and Sheik are still separated? Are Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard still rolled into one as Pokemon Trainer or have they too been separated?

Thanks!!

The Pokemon are still together with the trainer. They no longer get weaker if you keep one out, but they do switch automatically when you lose a stock.

45 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Now that I think about it, I wonder why PoR Ike is the default instead of RD Ike. Speaking of Ike, we know he's voiced by Greg Chun now (as he is in Heroes), so I imagine Alexis Tipton will voice Lucina here as well. And if Marth is speaking English now then Roy should follow suit.

Probably because PoR Ike is the more popular one. I prefer RD Ike. I do think PoR Ike got the better end of the deal in the writing department, but I like RD Ike's design more because it makes him stand out more imo. Not many lords are beefy manly dudes. And I think this design fits his slow, but powerful style in Smash more. I also just like muscles and think RD Ike is super hot. :P

And yeah, Greg Chun voicing Ike here was pretty expected. And it's fine, I think he does a great job sounding like Jason Adkins!

Edited by Anacybele

36 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Probably because PoR Ike is the more popular one. I prefer RD Ike. I do think PoR Ike got the better end of the deal in the writing department, but I like RD Ike's design more because it makes him stand out more imo. Not many lords are beefy manly dudes. And I think this design fits his slow, but powerful style in Smash more. I also just like muscles and think RD Ike is super hot. :P

And yeah, Greg Chun voicing Ike here was pretty expected. And it's fine, I think he does a great job sounding like Jason Adkins!

As ever, my favorite version of Ike (Lord Ike) gets the shaft. Shame we couldn't play with all of his costumes.