Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

8 minutes ago, Etheus said:

As ever, my favorite version of Ike (Lord Ike) gets the shaft. Shame we couldn't play with all of his costumes. 

In fairness, the game isn't finished yet. Until something is fully deconfirmed (like an wanted playable character showing up as an Assist Trophy), don't fully rule it out.

Speaking of, no Ashley in the AT roll call. Good, good.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of what they revealed today is relevant for Versus Mode, no doubt for the sake of the Tournament. The longest amount of time spent on any section of the Smash Presentation was just detailing how some fighters have changed, even if some are just aesthetic differences and new Final Smashes. There was also new tech, confirmation of Battlefield forms in addition to omega forms, Damage scaling between 1v1 and free for all, and some characters not taking up a space on the character select.

The big question mark remaining is Modes. We've got all these characters, how can we use them outside of Versus mode? There was also no alluding to customizing characters. The Mii Fighters have returned, but it's interesting that they condensed two of Palutena's specials so that Explosive Flare can be her new side B. Are custom moves not returning? Seems weird that they'd put so much work into this currently 65 character roster but not add custom moves for the remaining 15 or so that don't have any from a previous game. They also seemed to sidestep the subject of how our character roster will go from 12 to 65+. What's that progression system like? How are collectibles handled and by what means will we collect them?

One last interesting note, New Music is on the currently sparse music section of the website and I thought that was cool. Definitely interested in how this website will get updated in the future. And should we expect a Smash logo at the end of every nintendo direct until December? 

Edited by Glennstavos

21 minutes ago, Etheus said:

As ever, my favorite version of Ike (Lord Ike) gets the shaft. Shame we couldn't play with all of his costumes. 

Yeah, mine is Vanguard Ike, and I really would love that costume in the game too. But as Jave said, that's technically not deconfirmed just yet.

Holy wow that's a lot of stages.

Seems like we're getting some classic stages back that haven't seen the light of day in a while. Hopefully Sakurai's desire to bring back every character extends to stages. (Fourside when?)

14 minutes ago, Jave said:

In fairness, the game isn't finished yet. Until something is fully deconfirmed (like an wanted playable character showing up as an Assist Trophy), don't fully rule it out.

I wouldn't count on it in any case. Seems like Sakurai tends to like basing FE characters on their initial appearances and abilities in games.

4 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Hopefully Sakurai's desire to bring back every character extends to stages.

I mean, we're probably not seeing whatever the Metroid stage in Wii U was because Ridley's playable now. But other than that, yeah, i do hope every stage comes back, but i won't be disappointed if some stages don't make it.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, we're probably not seeing whatever the Metroid stage in Wii U was because Ridley's playable now. But other than that, yeah, i do hope every stage comes back, but i won't be disappointed if some stages don't make it.

No one liked that part of the stage anyway, they could bring it back without him and it'd  be fine.

Alternatively, they could hand wave it as Other M Ridley being a clone of the original.

I don't think they had any issue bringing back Dream Land with Dedede being playable, though admittedly that's a somewhat different case.

I still wish for an actual Tellius stage, namely Riven Bridge, Greil Mercenaries' fort, or Kauku Caves, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

If Daisy had to have a stage specifically associated with her as well, there's Daisy Circuit from Mario Kart Wii as an option, complete with the statues of her and Luigi dancing together! Buuut, I don't think that's likely either.

Edited by Anacybele

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2018/06/12/waluigi-was-robbed-and-humiliated-by-nintendo-and-his-fans-are-furious/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b7126ffd8082

There is actually a Washington Post article about how Waluigi failed to make it into Smash again. What a world we live in.

36 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

A lot of what they revealed today is relevant for Versus Mode, no doubt for the sake of the Tournament. The longest amount of time spent on any section of the Smash Presentation was just detailing how some fighters have changed, even if some are just aesthetic differences and new Final Smashes. There was also new tech, confirmation of Battlefield forms in addition to omega forms, Damage scaling between 1v1 and free for all, and some characters not taking up a space on the character select.

The big question mark remaining is Modes. We've got all these characters, how can we use them outside of Versus mode? There was also no alluding to customizing characters. The Mii Fighters have returned, but it's interesting that they condensed two of Palutena's specials so that Explosive Flare can be her new side B. Are custom moves not returning? Seems weird that they'd put so much work into this currently 65 character roster but not add custom moves for the remaining 15 or so that don't have any from a previous game. They also seemed to sidestep the subject of how our character roster will go from 12 to 65+. What's that progression system like? How are collectibles handled and by what means will we collect them?

One last interesting note, New Music is on the currently sparse music section of the website and I thought that was cool. Definitely interested in how this website will get updated in the future. And should we expect a Smash logo at the end of every nintendo direct until December? 

One of the biggest hopes I had was that every character would get unique customisation skills. Many characters have displayed wildly new abilities in games since their debut that are completely lacking representation in their moveset (Ganondorf being the prime example, but basically every character from Peach to Marth are missing something significant). Plus it would just be really awesome for the sake of variety. But I guess not getting that is a small price to pay for No Cuts.

14 minutes ago, Carter said:

I'd really love to see the old Melee stages back! Kongo Jungle and Great Bay already look amazing, it'd be awesome to see Rainbow Cruise or Fourside.

Long live PokeFloats!

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

When you play as Ridley on that stage, Alfonzo replaces him as the boss XD

Edited by Jotari

13 minutes ago, Jotari said:

When you play as Ridley on that stage, Alfonzo replaces him as the boss XD

Ahahaha, I remember that. lol Then again, the Spirit Tracks stage is in, so it's going to happen anyway, heh.

On a more serious note, imagine if it was something like Ridley-X from Fusion? That would be interesting. If the stage were to come back, anyway.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

On a more serious note, imagine if it was something like Ridley-X from Fusion? That would be interesting. If the stage were to come back, anyway.

I would suggest Mecha Ridley but i'm pretty sure they confirmed that it's an alt.

I am very pleased with what was shown today.

My stance is that Melee is played in a way it was not intended to be, with some heavy glitch exploitation and bad balancing (resulting more from it being built as a party game verses a serious fighting game), only countered by said glitches and techniques being common knowledge and used by basically all high skill players. I don't care for it at all, but Brawl's combat did little for competitive play without much resembling certain high level techniques from Melee and that tripping RNG. 4 is just a good fighter, stepping up from Brawl's foundation, and Ultimate looks to be a happy medium between 4 and Melee. 

I am pretty content that it was decided to focus on bring old fighters back verses adding a bunch of new characters, especially when DLC is always an option for later. I really wanted the Ice Climbers back!

Zelda's ALBW design is my favorite of the series for her, and I was thrilled to see her outfit change. Also that grey haired Zelda is just a new version of her old "dark" skin. I don't see the Hilda resemblance, either, beyond Zelda and Hilda already being damn near twins in appearance.

Inklings look difficult, but the whole mechanic of inked enemies taking more damaged needs some sort of counter, so the tank being carried over makes good sense. I'm not totally sure I'll main them as I initially planned, especially with Ice Climbers returning and so many Final Smashes being far better designed.

Also, very yes on Pokémon Trainer returning without the penalty for sticking to one Pokémon for too long. That was almost unplayable.

And having to unlock stuff again is nice. 

Now I just want to know if we're getting an adventure mode like Subspace Emissary.

Edited by Altrosa

9 hours ago, Dai said:

Well, look who made it in as an Assist Trophy.

ss_3.jpg

There's goes his chance as a fighter. The Arcade Bunny was one of my picks as a fighter for Ultimate.

9 hours ago, Johann said:

Quite certain it's Greg Chun this time around too. The main reveal video only had him say a few things, but in the Treehouse section, one of the presenters picked him and it sounded like Greg really brought the performance.

I do think that was actually Greg Chun voicing Ike in this game. I'm kinda wondered if they're going to have to record Lucina for replacing Laura's Bailey's lines with Alexis Tipton since she was replaced since Fire Emblem Heroes and Warriors along with Wendee Lee as Lyn since they did that with Peach in Brawl and Fox, Falco, Sonic, Shadow, and Pit in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U. I do hope that they can get Steve Burton to voice Cloud in Ultimate since Steve did said he does love voicing Cloud in his life and he does want to voice Cloud in Smash. And I do think Ray Chase is probably voicing Roy in Ultimate since Roy did appeared in 4 localized Fire Emblem games.

And speaking of which, since Rodin from Bayonetta did appeared as Assist Trophy for Bayonetta's series along with Bomberman, I'm kinda wondering what Final Fantasy and Street Fighter character will appear as an Assist Trophy. I do think we could see Tifa Lockheart as an Assist Trophy for Cloud's side since Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U only did showed Final Fantasy VII content.

Edited by King Marth 64

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

An unfortunate reveal. I am.....actually upset about that. 

I shall join you in grieving. We have lost one of our greatest vehicles of trolling on this day.

3 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

...And speaking of which, since Rodin from Bayonetta did appeared as Assist Trophy for Bayonetta's series along with Bomberman, I'm kinda wondering what Final Fantasy and Street Fighter character will appear as an Assist Trophy. I do think we could see Tifa Lockheart as an Assist Trophy for Cloud's side since Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U only did showed Final Fantasy VII content.

I think that depends on how the license works since it would make more sense for other FF leads like Terra or Zidane to get in as assists, but each numbered game is unique, so they may only have VII to play with if anything else at all. (I mean, I'd obviously want Tifa or Sephiroth as a new fighter, but I know how it is.)

Kinda wondering if any more Sonic characters are in the pipeline. Shadow was an assist trophy, but he'd make a perfect Echo candidate, and still nothing on anyone else. "Super Smash Brothers Ultimate and Knuckles," please.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

All of the stages in Ultimate so far. These videos are short, totaling up to 5-ish minutes.

An EXTREMELY keen-eyed person on Twitter actually identified that this screenshot is in fact of Super Mario Maker in NSMBU mode, not Mushroom Kingdom U. The fence decoration in the corner doesn't appear in Mushroom Kingdom U.

So that's what, now, 76?

Edited by Anomalocaris

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

An unfortunate reveal. I am.....actually upset about that. 

I see myself being on the receiving end on a lot more spikes in the future. Ganoncide's certainty made him so dangerous to approach when returning back to the stage. Took real guts for a player to even go for it.

@Armagon Interesting. Those props perfectly line up with this rumor: https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-smash-bros-e3-info-screenshot-leaked.38549/
From two months ago. Also showed a bit of Battlefield that seems to have been dead on.

Also, from the gamexplain video Samus lost her Dark Samus palette, as did Ike his Chrom one. ...Interesting...