Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think less new comers is a given, official word or no. There's almost seventy characters in the game as it is, and even though everyone, but three of them are returning characters, it's still a tonne of work to make that many fighters. I'm expecting five more new comers max, some of which being Echo Fighters. The reason they held off on showing anything this long was precisely because they didn't have a constant string of new comers to show off.

I do think an even half-dozen, disregarding Echo characters, would make perfect sense.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Florete said:

Reflecting a bit...what if this had been leaked?

"All veterans, including Pokemon Trainer, Snake, Young Link, etc. will return, alongside more than 50 returning stages. Ridley is a newcomer and Daisy is a Peach clone."

No one would have believed that shit.

Twitter brought to my attention that it actually was leaked

DfgVMZmVAAApYbJ.jpg

And as you can see, no one believed it. 

Edited by Armagon

I think we'll get 8 new characters, Echo characters included. We already have Inklings, Ridley, and Daisy revealed, so that leaves five more. I think they'll reveal one each month up to December, starting in July.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

You know what's really big? Ganon's nose! Its huuuuge! 

It is accurate though:

File:OoT Ganondorf Artwork.png

And seems to be possibly a Gerudo trait taking a quick look at Nabooru, at least in OoT:

Spoiler

File:Nabooru36.pngFile:NabooruOoT3D.png

Urbosa's however is also quite prominent:

Spoiler

File:BotW Urbosa Concept Artwork.pngFile:BotW Urbosa Artwork.png

And if generic NPC models also line up with this, well then yes, the Gerudo generally have large noses as a natural feature. And to be fair to the 99.9999999999% percent of them who are ladies, Cleopatra queen of the desert of old also had a big nose, and yet despite such a turnoff to modern eyes at least, through her wit, personality, and other charms, managed to be pretty good at the politics game for a while.

Zelda and Link I did a moment's look never have such a noticeable smeller.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

I was afraid this was going to be a joke about his crotch bulge

And this is how you know Sheik is not a biological man.

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

DfgVMZmVAAApYbJ.jpg

Honestly, I find this hilarious, even though I'm not sure I would've believed it either. :P

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

DfgVMZmVAAApYbJ.jpg

Haha. Love the comments.

17 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Maybe it would be about time to finally have a language select.

I've wanted it for years so I didn't have games twice.

Since the switch is region free I'd kind of want to not buy a JP copy and an EN copy.

Also fun fact for you guys.

Edited by shadowofchaos

4 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

I've wanted it for years so I didn't have games twice.

Since this region free I'd kind of want to not buy a JP copy and an EN copy.

Also fun fact for you guys.

I'm currently living in Japan, so a language select would be hella convenient. Getting one shipped over here would be pretty bothersome. Well, if I want a physical copy at least. I imagine it'll be available to download immediately.

Edited by Jotari

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'm currently living in Japan, so a language select would be hella convenient. Getting one shipped over here would be pretty bothersome.

Yeah, I kind of know the feeling having lived in non-English speaking European countries for seven years. There were places we could buy English copies of games since the American military bases existed (and were the reason we were there in the first place), but they'd always take way longer to get new releases or never have them at all. I missed out on a lot of things until late during that time. Didn't even know the GC existed for a few years.

Oh, and back then, more stuff was region locked, so even if we could get German copies or whatever, they wouldn't work with our American systems.

Edited by Anacybele

Tl;dr, 1080p, 60 FPS when docked, 720P, 60 FPS when undocked. GameCube controller adapter will be $20 and a new Ultimate themed GameCube controller will be released as well but no pricing details on that yet.

Edited by Armagon

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Tl;dr, 1080p, 60 FPS when docked, 720P, 60 FPS when undocked. GameCube controller adapter will be $20 and a new Ultimate themed GameCube controller will be released as well but no pricing details on that yet.

I guess they really wanted to spare no effort on this game, and being a party-fighter (it is both- which depends on context) means 60 FPS is a sine qua non when single frames can mean the different between victory and defeat.

The still pic of Link there by the way looks very much like him on close inspection in Smash 4. Although the Link repped has changed, the aesthetic way of integrating Link has not. Can't say I am fond of 4-U Smashified Link's face.

And since this is Smash Ultimate, what could possibly be the next game's title? Smash Ne Plus Ultra? 

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

DfgVMZmVAAApYbJ.jpg

That's incredible. Funny how the leaker accidentally wrote "final destination and omega" when fd is omega. Meant to put battlefield.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Why tho

Only left handed link can tether grab. Known fact.

Though it's probably because there was no Hook Shot equivalent in Breath of the Wild and they want to differentiate him from Young Link and Toon Link a bit (who I presume still has a tether grab).

36 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Only left handed link can tether grab. Known fact.

Though it's probably because there was no Hook Shot equivalent in Breath of the Wild and they want to differentiate him from Young Link and Toon Link a bit (who I presume still has a tether grab).

Young Link & Toon Link still have their Tether's yes, and Young Link also retains the Melee aspects of Link such as the Rapid Jab which now as has a finisher ala Smash 4. (while keeping his Fire Arrows, and Toon Link has his unique aerials a new Fsmash and more). Since Adult Link has changed a bit in 4 and Ultimate, having Young Link keep his Melee moveset funnily enough makes him unique from Link himself.

Even character's like Doc are getting new moves (you can see him do a stomp instead of the old Melee/64 Mario spinkick for the dair)

81016225cd10650e7d3a53dfe7d4c632.png

Edited by Jedi

So apparently Stage hazards can be toggled off without having to change the stage to battlefield or omega mode:

I wonder if this means that stages like Midgard, Arena Ferox and Pokemon Stadium 2 will become legal...

There was a lot I didn't like regarding DLC content in the last game, but I'm particularly happy about there being zero chance of having to pay for characters from a previous game. Because now they're all in the base game. 

If they were willing to sell so many Mii Outfits in the last one, I'd bet we'll see a lot of echo characters for sale via updates. I'm also anticipating a very long time for updates on the game by virtue of the Switch still being a young system that happens to be a best selling nintendo system. And content updates also means balance updates.

Also regarding the stage hazard toggle I think the most concrete evidence we have is comparing today's treehouse stream to yesterday's. During the tournament Saffron City appeared with no pokemon in the middle. "Aww, they took out the pokemon" I thought. But in today's stream they're back and appearing regularly. 

58 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Even more stages

This game better have every single stage from the series back. To bring back this many and still leave some out would just be wrong.

Edit: one question I do have is if previous versions of stages like Battlefield and Final Destination will be selectable as well. Or if we'll get some 1P only stages like Meta Crystal.

Edited by Robert of Normandy

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

So apparently Stage hazards can be toggled off without having to change the stage to battlefield or omega mode.

Oh man, I so hope that this is true.

Btw, do we already know how counters work? Would be great if they would finally be back to dealing a fixed amount of damage.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

I'm expecting 1-5 more newcomers in the base/unlockable roster with another 10 as DLC.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, here. It's a bit too early to start expecting DLC, when and even if we'll get any. Thus far, the game's looking mighty meaty already. They may not feel it necessary to include DLC at all.

As for the number itself, that seems a bit high. There were seven DLC characters last time, and even then, near half of those were returning characters who are now in the base game to begin with.