Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

3 minutes ago, Dai said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, here. It's a bit too early to start expecting DLC, when and even if we'll get any. Thus far, the game's looking mighty meaty already. They may not feel it necessary to include DLC at all.

As for the number itself, that seems a bit high. There were seven DLC characters last time, and even then, near half of those were returning characters who are now in the base game to begin with.

I suppose. But I think there is room for consideration. DLC is a great way to make money here. I expect that we will see DLC because the opportunity is frankly too good for Nintendo to pass up.

Moreover, it is also reasonable to speculate a somewhat larger volume of dlc. Smash 4 launched on the failing Wii U and the late-in-lifecycle 3DS. Smash Ultimate will be launching on the young and wildly successful Switch. Smash Ultimate will be THE best opportunity for a live service that Nintendo will have on the console platform, and I think that Nintendo realizes that.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Dai said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, here. It's a bit too early to start expecting DLC, when and even if we'll get any. Thus far, the game's looking mighty meaty already. They may not feel it necessary to include DLC at all.

As for the number itself, that seems a bit high. There were seven DLC characters last time, and even then, near half of those were returning characters who are now in the base game to begin with.

Smash and the Switch together are too lucrative a prospect for there to not be DLC. Of course it won't be "necessary" to include DLC, but you could say the same about Smash 4.

Gonna really miss having the clawshot, it's integral to my playstyle in Smash 4

Also not gonna enjoy Charizard's down B going from being a semi-useful move to "switch back to Charizard after dying"

The Hookshot is gone? That's fantastic. Well, I suppose it would be better if the Hookshot didn't have the lag at the start and the end. But hey, at least Link can properly throw things now.

3 hours ago, Water Mage said:

So apparently Stage hazards can be toggled off without having to change the stage to battlefield or omega mode:

I wonder if this means that stages like Midgard, Arena Ferox and Pokemon Stadium 2 will become legal...

They'll be likely legal among others like the original Pokemon Stadium.

25 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The Hookshot is gone? That's fantastic. Well, I suppose it would be better if the Hookshot didn't have the lag at the start and the end. But hey, at least Link can properly throw things now.

From what I understand, the little Links still have 'em, just that big Link doesn't since there's no hookshot in BotW. I guess it's a trade-off for bombs being useful, and he gets the sword beam at full health which is nice. Hookshot was great for getting in close on characters like Fox though since it wasn't a projectile.

23 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Now that I’ve seen us say it I really want Chrom 

Chrom, Dark Samus and Shadow are all looking decently likely candidates for the Echo deal. Which is pretty exciting

7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Chrom, Dark Samus and Shadow are all looking decently likely candidates for the Echo deal. Which is pretty exciting

Except Chrom is in Robin's final smash.

Although now it would be better to have Grima as Robin's final smash.

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

Except Chrom is in Robin's final smash.

Although now it would be better to have Grima as Robin's final smash.

We haven't seen his Final smash though? They even have it hidden on the site

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

We haven't seen his Final smash though? They even have it hidden on the site

Oh but I assume they won't change it since Robin's final smash was pretty fast. Unless they want Chrom to be Ike's echo fighter or something.

Just now, Nym said:

Oh but I assume they won't change it since Robin's final smash was pretty fast. Unless they want Chrom to be Ike's echo fighter or something.

They also removed Ike's Chrom alt I think that's a telling thing too. 

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

They also removed Ike's Chrom alt I think that's a telling thing too. 

True.

Although it makes me wonder how many echo fighters will they actually add into the game. I doubt Dark Pit, Lucina and Daisy were the only one.

1 minute ago, Nym said:

True.

Although it makes me wonder how many echo fighters will they actually add into the game. I doubt Dark Pit, Lucina and Daisy were the only one.

Mildly hoping as I said before they go a little ham with it, my most hoped one right now is Shadow, and my evidence is he hasn't been seen as an AT yet and Knuckles is one now.

Just now, Jedi said:

Mildly hoping as I said before they go a little ham with it, my most hoped one right now is Shadow, and my evidence is he hasn't been seen as an AT yet and Knuckles is one now.

Shadow is 99% one, he can do everything that Sonic can do. Even his final smash can be exactly the same.

1 minute ago, Comet said:

amy in smash would be sick

Quick question: on a scale to 1 to 10, how much did you lose your mind when you saw Pichu in HD with its new facial expressions? :P

Personally I doubt we're getting any more FE characters. I think the series has fine representation as is. My money would have been on Lyn as a newcomer, but since she's still an AT I don't think we're getting anyone else.

I'm also highly skeptical of Chrom happening. 3 of the 6 FE characters we have now already share most of their moveset, so adding Chrom as yet another clone/echo fighter wouldn't go over well.

3 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Personally I doubt we're getting any more FE characters. I think the series has fine representation as is. My money would have been on Lyn as a newcomer, but since she's still an AT I don't think we're getting anyone else.

I'm also highly skeptical of Chrom happening. 3 of the 6 FE characters we have now already share most of their moveset, so adding Chrom as yet another clone/echo fighter wouldn't go over well.

Eh at this point Roy barely shares any aspects with Marth, I think we can say 2/6 now.

Also remember Sakurai loves FE. If he has a chance he'll put more in.

Edited by Jedi

I'd rather have one of Three Houses' lords in as DLC later if we get another FE rep. Edelgard can use axes, Dimitri has a lance, and Claude is an archer. Any of them could have interesting and unique movesets.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Link's always been able to throw things though.

30 minutes ago, Nym said:

Considering that Link's Final Smash got changed, Robin's Final Smash being changed as well is a decent possibility.

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'd rather have one of Three Houses' lords in as DLC later if we get another FE rep. Edelgard can use axes, Dimitri has a lance, and Claude is an archer. Any of them could have interesting and unique movesets.

I thought you wanted Ephraim more. 

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Considering that Link's Final Smash got changed, Robin's Final Smash being changed as well is a decent possibility.

But Ike's didn't, which is the exact same type of final smash: move that hit the opponent before trapping them into the air followed by a fury of attacks before a final blow that launch them brutally on the ground.

Edited by Nym

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

I thought you wanted Ephraim more. 

I did, but now that we have a new main character with a lance instead, chances for Ephraim kinda just dropped a bit.