Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Random idea: Reyn as an assist trophy. Yay or nay?

He's already pouting in the corner like a big baby because he wasn't added to Shulk's final smash. Dunban and Fiora are pretty much a given and it's cool that the latter was added, but Reyn is pretty much a big part of that group. Don't know why Riki's there other than "so there will be more diversity and because nopon are cute".

What would he do? Mad Taunt to force any nearby enemies when he uses it to keep facing and attacking him? Extra AT durability to compensate.

And I'd rather Melia myself.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

What would he do? Mad Taunt to force any nearby enemies when he uses it to keep facing and attacking him? Extra AT durability to compensate.

And I'd rather Melia myself.

I didn't have an idea of how he'd work, but that sounds accurate! Maybe he'd also attack a bit. He'd be slow, but hit hard. Not sure what you mean by AT durability, is it that he can take a lot of hits before he's done?

Melia is pretty awesome but come on it's always REYN TIME. And plus I don't think Melia even cares. Reyn's pouting in the corner and grumbling about "this is some unfair bullshit". He really wants to join in the fun, poor guy.

7 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Melia is pretty awesome but come on it's always REYN TIME. And plus I don't think Melia even cares. Reyn's pouting in the corner and grumbling about "this is some unfair bullshit". He really wants to join in the fun, poor guy.

This is pretty much how I felt about Daisy for many years because she kept getting left out of games like Mario 3D World and Smash and all, and just being regulated to Mario spinoffs all the time. Some people on DA even made comics reflecting this. But she's definitely the type to want to join the fun!

Now she's in Smash and gets her time to shine! Maybe this'll kick off more big appearances for her like Rosalina having shown up in both Galaxy games did for her. I sure hope so, I want to see more of the cute yellow flower princess!

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

This is pretty much how I felt about Daisy for many years because she kept getting left out of games like Mario 3D World and Smash and all, and just being regulated to Mario spinoffs all the time. Some people on DA even made comics reflecting this. But she's definitely the type to want to join the fun!

Now she's in Smash and gets her time to shine! Maybe this'll kick off more big appearances for her like Rosalina having shown up in both Galaxy games did for her. I sure hope so, I want to see more of the cute yellow flower princess!

I literally just PMed you that conversation because I didn't think you saw it, derp.

Yeah! I have high hopes for Daisy! Maybe she will get more love.

Just now, Dragoncat said:

I literally just PMed you that conversation because I didn't think you saw it, derp.

She needs to! She's said to be Peach's best friend, so you'd think they'd be shown having some fun girl time in a main Mario game every now and then.

14 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I didn't have an idea of how he'd work, but that sounds accurate! Maybe he'd also attack a bit. He'd be slow, but hit hard. Not sure what you mean by AT durability, is it that he can take a lot of hits before he's done?

Yup, can take extra hits before he is KO'ed. Since his high HP + Mad Taunt for aggro control is his primary purpose in XC.

And Melia does care, she always cares. And yet nobody in the whole wide world cares about her save a furball who gets to be in the thick of the fun once in a while! Shulk even forgot to give her a lifetime ticket to all his matches. Sharla is her lone consoler and all she does is tell Melia to move on and accept reality. She does, and there are worse realities she has had to accept, but it is still unfair though she publicly protests it not!

...Makes me wish for a new Xeno stage. But I still haven't touched XC2 yet, and I doubt XCX will appear much if at all in SSBU.

6 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I have little against her, but she is little substance being in only multiplayer spinoffs. The same with Waluigi. Not to call any Mario character deep, just that not being in actual "serious" mainline platformers or even the Mario and Luigi spinoffs at all makes her feel ultimately unimportant.

That could be corrected though, with say an experimental Luigi-centric platformer set in a modern Sarasaland.

Or Super Princesses Peach and Daisy- a sequel to the DS game, with Rosalina as a postgame playable unlock, and Pauline appearing in some other capacity. Also plenty of Toadette please!

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

15 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

We need more of the Tomboy Princess. 

3 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Random idea: Reyn as an assist trophy. Yay or nay?

He's already pouting in the corner like a big baby because he wasn't added to Shulk's final smash. Dunban and Fiora are pretty much a given and it's cool that the latter was added, but Reyn is pretty much a big part of that group. Don't know why Riki's there other than "so there will be more diversity and because nopon are cute".

We're probably never getting Groose with the Groosenator as an assist trophy at this rate.

Hey, at least Reyn's most memorable line got into the game, albeit plagiarized by Shulk. But Melia has nothing, unlike him, her moveset actually revolves around buffing of a sort. Oh and Sharla could work well as a healing assist trophy. I don't think we have any of those outside that one animal crossing character.

Edited by Jotari

Not sure if this has been posted yet but we got an offical confrimation that we can toggle on/off for stage hazards

why does this keep getting better, I still think I'm in some kind of coma

https://clips.twitch.tv/EagerFitGaurJKanStyle

2 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Not sure if this has been posted yet but we got an offical confrimation that we can toggle on/off for stage hazards

why does this keep getting better, I still think I'm in some kind of coma

https://clips.twitch.tv/EagerFitGaurJKanStyle

I personally wish you could change stage hazards on a gradient, so like you could turn them off, or you could make them really infrequent, or make them ridiculously over the top. But just being able to toggle them on and off in general is long overdue.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And Melia does care, she always cares. And yet nobody in the whole wide world cares about her save a furball who gets to be in the thick of the fun once in a while! Shulk even forgot to give her a lifetime ticket to all his matches. Sharla is her lone consoler and all she does is tell Melia to move on and accept reality. She does, and there are worse realities she has had to accept, but it is still unfair though she publicly protests it not!

I think she's too busy as Empress though? But now I feel guilty for implying she doesn't care :(

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Hey, at least Reyn's most memorable line got into the game, albeit plagiarized by Shulk.

YES. 

Reyn: HEY that's my line! Not cool dude! You keep really feeling it!

I did saw some of the gameplay footages from E3 that have Cloud and the Pokemon Trainer playable in it. Did anyone heard any single lines from Cloud and Red who were at the E3 conference, there was so much noise in the background in the E3 presentation that it was hard to hear the sounds from the game? I kinda wondered if they got Bryce Papenbrook instead of Michele Knotz from Brawl to voice Red in Ultimate since I think I might have heard a little bit of his voice since he did voiced him in Pokemon Origins, but I didn't heard Cloud making a noise in the E3 demo due to the crowd at E3. Did they get Cloud to speak English in Ultimate unlike For Nintendo 3DS / Wii U that they haven't called Steve Burton to voice Cloud? I know that they said that this game is still under in development for some of the characters to be fixed up.

Edited by King Marth 64

Just now, Anomalocaris said:

Anybody have any clue what Japan's reaction to the Ridley reveal was? I know he wasn't a super-desired newcomer over there so I wonder if they were shocked, disappointed, curious, or whatever.

I've been wondering myself. Given I know I wanted him as I consider him the quinessential Metroid villain (now we need King K. Rool please), but he's not really considered more than a boss over there.

On another note, am I the only one who dislikes the streamlining of the final smashes? I mean, I get the why of it. I'm just going to miss some of the old ones.

26 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

I've been wondering myself. Given I know I wanted him as I consider him the quinessential Metroid villain (now we need King K. Rool please), but he's not really considered more than a boss over there.

On another note, am I the only one who dislikes the streamlining of the final smashes? I mean, I get the why of it. I'm just going to miss some of the old ones.

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed too. It's not like many final smashes were overly match interrupting before. And it's not like it has anything to do with competitive play as they're moot on that point. Almost surprising they didn't implement a way too use final smashes without the smash ball for competitive play (yeah pity final smashes exist but they're never seriously going to be used in competitive play). Plus the transformation final smashes were some of my favourite ones, even though they were functionally rather useless as enemies could just avoid them and they barely lasted any time at all. I'd actually be on for every character getting some kind of transformation ability, it would only be contrived in a few cases.

Edited by Jotari

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed too. It's not like many final smashes were overly match interrupting before. And it's not like it has anything to do with competitive play as they're moot on that point. Almost surprising they didn't implement a way too use final smashes without the smash ball for competitive play (yeah pity final smashes exist but they're never seriously going to be used in competitive play). Plus the transformation final smashes were some of my favourite ones, even though they were functionally rather useless as enemies could just avoid them and they barely lasted any time at all. I'd actually be on for every character getting some kind of transformation ability, it would only be contrived in a few cases.

My favourite Final Smashes tended to be the ones like the old Giga Bowser (it felt immense controlling this character who had been a secret Boss in Melee) and Wario-man.
I do approve of the new Dedede and DK final smashes due to the old ones not really being my thing. Pitt's final smash is one that is particularly disappointing, because it looked to me like Lightning Chariot, neat reference aside, is just a glorified Dragoon.

36 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I did saw some of the gameplay footages from E3 that have Cloud and the Pokemon Trainer playable in it. Did anyone heard any single lines from Cloud and Red who were at the E3 conference, there was so much noise in the background in the E3 presentation that it was hard to hear the sounds from the game? I kinda wondered if they got Bryce Papenbrook instead of Michele Knotz from Brawl to voice Red in Ultimate since I think I might have heard a little bit of his voice since he did voiced him in Pokemon Origins, but I didn't heard Cloud making a noise in the E3 demo due to the crowd at E3. Did they get Cloud to speak English in Ultimate unlike For Nintendo 3DS / Wii U that they haven't called Steve Burton to voice Cloud? I know that they said that this game is still under in development for some of the characters to be fixed up.

Dunno about Red but Cloud's voice is the same as in Smash 4, going from some of the stream footage. As far as I can tell, characters with new voice recordings (so far) appear to be:

• Marth (Yuri Lowenthal)
  • Ike (Greg Chun)
  • Link (BotW voice)
  • Ganondorf (rerecorded Melee/OoT voice)
  • Fox (I guess the voice from the latest game?)
  • Zelda (I assume the voice actress who did what little sound clips were in ALBW)

Ice Climbers sound the same as they did in Brawl to me, but it's hard to tell. I can't tell if Snake re-recorded either, but it's confirmed to be the same voice actor. I imagine characters who haven't been around since Melee will have redone voices.