Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

I'm actually okay with this. Everything about the game thus far is pretty damn stellar, even without having a bunch of newcomers. I mean, we do have the entire roster of every previous game as it is.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One, I strongly condemn the Waluigi stuff- nobody deserves that, not even companies/individuals that drive beloved franchises into the dirt and death.

Two, Nintendo must have really felt the Wii U was hopelessly doomed if Smash 4's DLC wasn't even finished when Smash Ultimate started.

Three, I'm sorry to Rex and Pyra, and I don't like ever building up hope about Smash character additions, or any expectations for any game at all really, but for some reason I'm wrongfully happy their loss might be Elma's gain.

hope you guys like to grind

so Sakurai said in a Famatsiu article, are starting roster will be the size of the original game

looks like were going to grind for 53+ characters.

43 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

so Sakurai said in a Famatsiu article, are starting roster will be the size of the original game

Yeah he also stated that in the direct.This video has some nice tidbits though.

52 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

I'm actually looking forward to that. Unlocking characters and watching the select screen gradually grow is one of my favorite things in each new Smash Bros. game.

That "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" screen gets my blood pumping.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

So I just took a look at this gameplay video...

Hide contents

...and I guess that Counters haven't been changed at all and still deal damage based on the attack that triggers it? Ike's counter deals 32 damage at 0:50 against Zelda's Forward Air, 25 at 2:38 against... Down Air I believe and only 12 at 3:31 against her multihit forward smash. *Urgh*, this is so obnoxious.

OMG did I see blue flames on Ike's counter?! That is awesome. :D His blue flames are so pretty!

Also, I noticed he did throw combos here! Glad those really do still exist for him. At least in this build. I hope they're still there in the final game.

EDIT: Grinding for 53+ characters? Ugh, I hope that won't be too tedious.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

OMG did I see blue flames on Ike's counter?! That is awesome. :D His blue flames are so pretty!

Also, I noticed he did throw combos here! Glad those really do still exist for him. At least in this build. I hope they're still there in the final game.

EDIT: Grinding for 53+ characters? Ugh, I hope that won't be too tedious.

Sakurai mentioned they'd be streamlined, and I think I recall something about there being mention of multiple ways in that video? So I doubt it'll be anything as insane as Melee.

1 minute ago, Dai said:

Sakurai mentioned they'd be streamlined, and I think I recall something about there being mention of multiple ways in that video? So I doubt it'll be anything as insane as Melee.

No, that was Final Smashes that would be more streamlined. ...At least, that's what I thought.

Edited by Anacybele

I just hope they don't make us grind for randomly generated equipment pieces again. Those make the character customization completely unappealing because of all the crap you have to search through unless you regularly spend hours to sell all that shit one by one (while being very careful to not accidentally delete the few equipment pieces you want to actually use. Just allow people to freely distribute a limited amount of points. Same with special effects. Allow them to be freely applied in exchange for stat penalties.

Edited by BrightBow

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No, that was Final Smashes that would be more streamlined.

Certainly, final smashes have been reworked to get straight to the punch, but there has been mention from him of streamlining the unlocking process for characters.

1 minute ago, Dai said:

Certainly, final smashes have been reworked to get straight to the punch, but there has been mention from him of streamlining the unlocking process for characters.

Oh. For some reason, I thought you were referring to my comment about counter moves. My bad. I see.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No, that was Final Smashes that would be more streamlined. ...At least, that's what I thought.

He mentioned unlocking would be streamlined as well.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Oh. For some reason, I thought you were referring to my comment about counter moves. My bad. I see.

I should have specified that I meant the unlocking process.

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Yeah, I know that now, thanks.

Just now, Dai said:

I should have specified that I meant the unlocking process.

Okay then. xP

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No, that was Final Smashes that would be more streamlined.

He said both would be. 

My guess is each fighter will have multiple methods to earn them, but I also worry that few are going to be stupidly difficult or out of the way, like Jigglypuff was in Brawl.

EDIT: Wow, ninja'd multiple times. 

Edited by Altrosa

18 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I'm willing to bet that it'll just be a certain amount of matches you have to do, like in Smash 4 where you got a new fighter every 10 fights, regardless of how long it lasted or the outcome. 

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm willing to bet that it'll just be a certain amount of matches you have to do, like in Smash 4 where you got a new fighter every 10 fights, regardless of how long it lasted or the outcome. 

Yeah, just get rid of having to defeat them in a battle. I lost to them sometimes and that forced me to meet the other requirements ALL OVER again which was stupid.

No process for unlocking characters more streamlined than Subspace Emissary 2 Baby!

You know character unlocks might just be based on play time rather than playing any mode a certain amount of times. I hope the unlock condition for Mewtwo is leaving the game idle for 10 hours. Then I can get hired by Buzzfeed for my "Only 90s kids have discovered how to unlock Mewtwo" article. 

Okay for serious I would actually prefer if character unlocks were incredibly diverse and involved all of the game various modes. BUT I want the game itself to hint at what those unlock conditions are. Don't make me pull up a guide.

Subspace was great up until you got to characters that weren't required. Under no circumstance should Jigglypuff been that difficult to hunt down and defeat. Wolf was almost as bad, but it really hurts the character's appeal if you meed to be an exceptional player long before you ever unlock them. 

Or maybe make the story/Subspace mode NOT like a Kirby game. Kirby is hit or miss with me because of how its gameplay is sometimes. I enjoyed Kirby 64, but not Amazing Mirror because in the latter, I was just running around in circles lost all the time and not finding anything.

So Kirby-like gameplay is probably not the best idea.

Besides, since this is Smash and encompasses several different franchises, why not incorporate gameplay elements from more than one series? Give us a few Mario-like platforming levels, but also Zelda-like dungeons to explore or something.

Edited by Anacybele

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/20/smash-is-special-part-1-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-557/

Turns out Source Gaming just messed up on their tweet. In the actual article, it says that Sakurai said that the first proposal was put out in December 2015. The project plan wasn't finalized. Key word there is first proposal, which means that, aside from the "everyone comes back" part, the roster likely hadn't been set in stone yet.

Which means Rex and Pyra still have a decently big chance!

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/20/smash-is-special-part-1-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-557/

Turns out Source Gaming just messed up on their tweet. In the actual article, it says that Sakurai said that the first proposal was put out in December 2015. The project plan wasn't finalized. Key word there is first proposal, which means that, aside from the "everyone comes back" part, the roster likely hadn't been set in stone yet.

Which means Rex and Pyra still have a decently big chance!

WOOOOOOOOO!!!

25 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Or maybe make the story/Subspace mode NOT like a Kirby game. Kirby is hit or miss with me because of how its gameplay is sometimes. I enjoyed Kirby 64, but not Amazing Mirror because in the latter, I was just running around in circles lost all the time and not finding anything.

So Kirby-like gameplay is probably not the best idea.

Besides, since this is Smash and encompasses several different franchises, why not incorporate gameplay elements from more than one series? Give us a few Mario-like platforming levels, but also Zelda-like dungeons to explore or something.

The reason why the levels were kirby like, was because that suited the engine best and allowed for quick and easy stage creation, it would be easy to modify the already existing code and assets to work with simple side scrolling stages, but to create something as complicated as a zelda esque dungeon or a fire emblem esque stage, would require too much development time and resources, time and resources that could be better spent creating new stages, adding new characters, or even just balancing the game.