Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I love how certain people are low-key being straight up assholes with the "people are desperate and grasping at straws" comments lol...

I did a quick search of this thread and didn't see this statement you quoted in its entirety. I did make the statement that people who put stock in the idea that Waluigi being shown off as an Assist Trophy doesn't basically confirm that he won't be playable are grasping at straws, so I assume your statement was directed at me.

In that case, I'd like to clarify some things: I don't have anything against Waluigi or his supporters. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting him to be playable, or even hoping he still has a chance in spite of already being an AT. However, I do think that people who buy into the idea that Sakurai is playing some kind of 4D chess with Waluigi's reveal are setting themselves up for disappointment. We've never seen a character shown as an Assist Trophy later be revealed as playable, and going against that would be a pretty big break with series precedent.

I just don't want people to set themselves up with unrealistic expectations and then get mad when they aren't met. If that makes me a low key asshole...well, so be it, I guess.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a video I found that seems to show off zelda pretty well, a lot more speed than 4 that's for sure. 

@Fire Emblem Fan I think it best that you don't get your hopes up too much, I am still holding out on the theory that 3H is a tellius follow up to be true, but I will still acknowledge it is crazy, unlikely, and out there. I agree that we should not rule out lies (we will get absolute truth soon enough), but don't think that improves odds, you are only going to set yourself up for disappointment.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

Just now, Gigavoir said:

Sorry if this is random, but does anyone have some clips of Falco gameplay? I wanna see how my boy handles in Ultimate, because Sm4sh Falco still makes me cry

He's not in this current demo so all we have to go on is his trailer on the site. 

39 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Zelda looks so much better in this game and I think dthrow to Lightning kick is now a thing? Goodness.

Didn't people think Zelda would be really good in Smash 4 at first as well?

3 hours ago, Robert of Normandy said:

I did a quick search of this thread and didn't see this statement you quoted in its entirety. I did make the statement that people who put stock in the idea that Waluigi being shown off as an Assist Trophy doesn't basically confirm that he won't be playable are grasping at straws, so I assume your statement was directed at me.

In that case, I'd like to clarify some things: I don't have anything against Waluigi or his supporters. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting him to be playable, or even hoping he still has a chance in spite of already being an AT. However, I do think that people who buy into the idea that Sakurai is playing some kind of 4D chess with Waluigi's reveal are setting themselves up for disappointment. We've never seen a character shown as an Assist Trophy later be revealed as playable, and going against that would be a pretty big break with series precedent.

I just don't want people to set themselves up with unrealistic expectations and then get mad when they aren't met. If that makes me a low key asshole...well, so be it, I guess.

My deepest apologies. I do think some of the reactions to my theory were rude, I stand by that, but I also in turn acted rudely and spoke out of term. I'll try not to do so again in the future.

I'm very aware of how unlikely and crazy my theory is, and I'm honestly very shocked other people had the same theory. I assure everyone, though, I know how likely it is I'll be disappointed, and I will contain and project my disappointment should it come to pass in a quiet and respectful way to Sakurai and other fans.

9 hours ago, The DanMan said:

To try to mitigate backlash by painting her as number 1 something in the ballot-- after all, if they did basically ignore the top characters for the time being and went for someone else instead, there'd be even more backlash and it would be completely deserved. 

There would be absolutely no backlash if Bayonetta was added to the game and not connected to the ballot. Like I said, that's exactly what they did with Ryu and nobody was pissed about that

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

There would be absolutely no backlash if Bayonetta was added to the game and not connected to the ballot. Like I said, that's exactly what they did with Ryu and nobody was pissed about that

But if the Ballot ended up not applying to Smash 4's DLC, there definitely would've been some outrage.

Really, at this point I'm just spitballing and we're going in circles; as I said, I find the circumstances around Bayo's inclusion as the ballot winner to be a bit fishy and I haven't seen anything that clears it up. At this point let's just drop it, because it hardly has anything to do with Ultimate anymore.

1 hour ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Didn't people think Zelda would be really good in Smash 4 at first as well?

Only a few people did, and that quickly got dashed.

Here we have people actually playing her and saying she's improved quite a bit.

It's a crapshoot guessing who's going to improve the most in placements, but I love Zelda's QoL addition where you can drift left and right immediately upon reappearing in Up B. That'll be vital since it appears you still bounce off the ledge sometimes. And the new Phantom has excellent applications. Fully charging it and getting people to panic shield its attack means a free grab or you can lightning kick their head now that their shield is too small to cover it. And the intended counterplay of killing that phantom suddenly makes sense now that Zelda has reasons to use it.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

It's a crapshoot guessing who's going to improve the most in placements, but I love Zelda's QoL addition where you can drift left and right immediately upon reappearing in Up B. That'll be vital since it appears you still bounce off the ledge sometimes. And the new Phantom has excellent applications. Fully charging it and getting people to panic shield its attack means a free grab or you can lightning kick their head now that their shield is too small to cover it. And the intended counterplay of killing that phantom suddenly makes sense now that Zelda has reasons to use it.

Man, I hate that bounce mechanic. Killed me so many times when I was still trying to main her in Smash 4. The worst is when you try to warp downwards, back onto the stage and it just slides her to the side, right into a helpless state off the stage.

My conclusion with the ballot results is that the votes were why Ultimate has prioritized bringing old fighters back, since every fan poll done in that same time framw had Snake, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers in notable positions, and Smash 4 DLC brought back Mewtwo and Ness. (Poor Pichu, but Smash at least has the cutest of all joke fighters.)

As for King K. Rool, who seemingly scored very high, there is a possibility that some legal red tape is muddying up his inclusion, since he was a Rare creation, and Rare is under Microsoft's developer umbrella now.

Geno, another popular request, is in a similar situation with SquareEnix, except Cloud means his chances are improved.

I've been seeimg that the lead for Final Fantasy XIV is in talks with Nintendo about the possibility of making a Switch version of the game. Y'shtola for Smash Ultimate DLC.

35 minutes ago, Altrosa said:

My conclusion with the ballot results is that the votes were why Ultimate has prioritized bringing old fighters back, since every fan poll done in that same time framw had Snake, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers in notable positions, and Smash 4 DLC brought back Mewtwo and Ness. (Poor Pichu, but Smash at least has the cutest of all joke fighters.)

As for King K. Rool, who seemingly scored very high, there is a possibility that some legal red tape is muddying up his inclusion, since he was a Rare creation, and Rare is under Microsoft's developer umbrella now.

Geno, another popular request, is in a similar situation with SquareEnix, except Cloud means his chances are improved.

I've been seeimg that the lead for Final Fantasy XIV is in talks with Nintendo about the possibility of making a Switch version of the game. Y'shtola for Smash Ultimate DLC.

I'm pretty sure that diddy and dixie kong was also rare creations, the main reason why dkc 2(?) had only diddy and dixie as playable characters, was because they were annoyed at miyamoto for making some comment (can't remember what it was exactly, but I think he was bad mouthing them), so they removed donkey kong who was the only character that miyamoto created of the bunch.

It really just depends on who has the rights, who created the character is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Altrosa said:

Diddy was a Rare creation too, but they have no problem putting him into games. Also, K. Rool was in Super Mario Sluggers which was released in 2008, six years after Rare was sold to Microsoft.

8 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Off the top of my head, Tetris and Baiten Kaitos have both got new arrangements in Smash and no stage; what with the lack of a series icon, I don't see why this wouldn't be a similar case.

16 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Strange, looks like Palkia's still a Pokeball summon despite the Spear Pillar stage returning.

Well Arceus can create a second Palkia in a HGSS event, so maybe you have to watch this every time Palkia is summoned on Spear Pillar.

On a different note, I think people are taking the idea that we'll get DLC for granted. This is meant to be the "ultimate" game so Sakurai might think that the base roster is good enough as is and it can't be improved. Unless he really wants to add Rex and Pyra and they're not in the game initially, in which case he might do DLC. I think people should wait before jumping to conclusions about any possible DLC characters.

33 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Well Arceus can create a second Palkia in a HGSS event, so maybe you have to watch this every time Palkia is summoned on Spear Pillar.

On a different note, I think people are taking the idea that we'll get DLC for granted. This is meant to be the "ultimate" game so Sakurai might think that the base roster is good enough as is and it can't be improved. Unless he really wants to add Rex and Pyra and they're not in the game initially, in which case he might do DLC. I think people should wait before jumping to conclusions about any possible DLC characters.

god, I forgot how trippy that scene was, all that was missing was a shocked image of ken sugimori spliced in.

Honestly, a perfectly complete smash bros roster just won't happen, DLC could help patch up any holes that time made, given the DLC characters can be whatever they want regardless of release dates, there is a lot more freedom involved, which could encourage such practices in future entries.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

image.gif

.I approve of this wholeheartedly.

2 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

god, I forgot how trippy that scene was, all that was missing was a shocked image of ken sugimori spliced in.

It wasn't exactly trippy, although it did in a very unusual move use real world photos I believe. It was supposed to invoke the whole of humanity and the world, which a lot of NPC dialogue since Gen 4, maybe 3, has taken on in some capacity. It isn't enough to make a statement, you have to make it loosely warmly philosophical and optimistic too.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It wasn't exactly trippy, although it did in a very unusual move use real world photos I believe. It was supposed to invoke the whole of humanity and the world, which a lot of NPC dialogue since Gen 4, maybe 3, has taken on in some capacity. It isn't enough to make a statement, you have to make it loosely warmly philosophical and optimistic too.

Speaking of gen 3

pikachu.png

super_smash_bros_ultimate_render__8__pik