Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

Not really related to this video, but does anyone else feel like Zelda is freakishly tall in this game, at least in comparison to Link? Just comparing her to Link in this video, she's nearly a whole head taller, and i don't ever recall that happening in previous Smash games/in other Zelda games. ik they're from two different Zelda games but is ALBW Zelda really nearly a whole head taller than BoTW Link?

I dunno, i always felt like Zelda was always taller than Link in Smash. Twilight Princess Zelda in particular. After seeing the video, i get what you mean but i honestly thought ALBW Zelda was shorter.

Either that or BotW Link is just short.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Short Hop aerials now have weaker damage. A 0.85 multiplier 

I don't completely disapprove of this given how much easier they are to use, and with the borderline removal of landing lag short hop aerials will end up being the go to moves for many characters, Robin has this one combo which was a down throw to up air which if pulled off correctly was almost true, if everyone could pull that off it could make some things pretty aggravating competitively.

13 minutes ago, Carter said:

its great that people are playing as Zelda but when are they gonna stop with that overused black palette?? im so sick of seeing it in every gameplay video of Zelda

Not really related to this video, but does anyone else feel like Zelda is freakishly tall in this game, at least in comparison to Link? Just comparing her to Link in this video, she's nearly a whole head taller, and i don't ever recall that happening in previous Smash games/in other Zelda games. ik they're from two different Zelda games but is ALBW Zelda really nearly a whole head taller than BoTW Link?

I agree though I generally use vanilla zelda so I guess I am unimpressive, but I main pink robin as well which could be considered overused.

Yes, I was kind of hoping that zelda would be a bit shorter, but I think she is using TP zelda's hit/hurt boxes which may explain the height. Also the link comparison, they are about the same height (and link is freakishly short in most games), zelda's excellent posture (and link's bad(ish) posture) makes her look taller, also, heels, they are not all that high, but they help make up the difference, so zelda, if we are taking everything in, should be shorter than link (technically), she still seems a bit tall to me though.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Some new tidbits from Sakurai's latest column in Famitsu. 

I admit, if there was a substantial leak on this one that would have sucked.

though that one "leak" that was right about ridley and the returning roster, I don't think that holds much weight, it is very easy to guess that the next smash bros. will have all characters and ridley, now to guess who is cut and a few, more out there, newcomers would have turned some heads.

36 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I admit, if there was a substantial leak on this one that would have sucked.

though that one "leak" that was right about ridley and the returning roster, I don't think that holds much weight, it is very easy to guess that the next smash bros. will have all characters and ridley, now to guess who is cut and a few, more out there, newcomers would have turned some heads.

If you're talking about the leak that correctly guessed everything, including Ridley, Daisy, all returning characters, Bomberman assist trophy, and some other stuff, then that was definitely legit. You don't just randomly guess so many things correctly while getting literally nothing wrong.

Luckily no one thought it was real so the whole thing was still a surprise.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

If you're talking about the leak that correctly guessed everything, including Ridley, Daisy, all returning characters, Bomberman assist trophy, and some other stuff, then that was definitely legit. You don't just randomly guess so many things correctly while getting literally nothing wrong.

I only saw one leak, and they also mentioned Simon Belmont showing up. Was there another, or what?

1 hour ago, Florete said:

These are the best when it comes to Smash leaks. When the "leaks" are so frequent that we're healthily skeptical of everything we see and hear.

"That Shulk art looks so fake. His face is photoshopped Little Mac". "They wouldn't put Bowser Jr in a clown kart when he has the paintbrush. Try harder"

Honestly, part of me thinks the only reason this wasn't truly leaked is because yeah, nobody would've believed it like nobody believed that one post full of "guesses" that Florete is referring to. :P

I wouldn't have believed it either!

Edited by Anacybele

33 minutes ago, Dai said:

I only saw one leak, and they also mentioned Simon Belmont showing up. Was there another, or what?

This one. Posted the day before the direct. Technically "All maps have final destination and omega layout" is off, but they obviously meant Battlefield, not FD, which was correct.

DfgVMZmVAAApYbJ.jpg

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

This one. Posted the day before the direct. Technically "All maps have final destination and omega layout" is off, but they obviously meant Battlefield, not FD, which was correct.

DfgVMZmVAAApYbJ.jpg

Weird, I saw this one...I could have sworn I saw Simon Belmont in it. Maybe I saw a similar leak that had him.

3 hours ago, Dai said:

Weird, I saw this one...I could have sworn I saw Simon Belmont in it. Maybe I saw a similar leak that had him.

You might have been thinking of this post vergeben posted on gamefaqs. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76614511

He claimed that Ridley, Snake, Ice Climbers, and a Belmont were to appear on Smash for Switch (Ultimate) and that there were going to be no cuts from the previous game (ended up being 'everyone comes back'). Not sure how credible his 'leaks' usually are but besides a Belmont appearing in Smash (it could still happen) everything he said was correct (though it could have just all been a lucky guess on his part) and I know his name was thrown around everywhere on Smashboards leading up to E3 2018.

Dunno if this means much, but Roy's VA Ray Chase apparently retweeted some days ago a Smash Bros comic referencing Marth speaking English and Roy reading a book on speaking it in response. Coincidence? :P

Man these remixes have been very awesome previews so far, plus we have several tunes in character trailers we need to hear the full versions of.

9 hours ago, Dai said:

So, instead of losing to anime, Falcon has become anime.

Technically, that's already happened a long time ago; there's an F-Zero anime out there. The latest F-Zero game released (the GBA one) is based on the anime.

19 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Technically, that's already happened a long time ago; there's an F-Zero anime out there. The latest F-Zero game released (the GBA one) is based on the anime.

Oh, I knew there was an anime. I only ever saw the iconic scene where I guess he sacrifices himself? I just wanted to make a Lythero reference.

1 hour ago, Dai said:

Oh, I knew there was an anime. I only ever saw the iconic scene where I guess he sacrifices himself? I just wanted to make a Lythero reference.

The anime itself is surprisingly solid. Despite being about mostly, Y'know racing.

44 minutes ago, Jedi said:

The anime itself is surprisingly solid. Despite being about mostly, Y'know racing.

That doesn't surprise me, given we have apparently pretty good anime about stuff as simple as boxing, tennis, and ice-skating.

I gotta say, I'm glad they're upgrading the visuals on the old stages instead of how Wii U just kinda brought them over. Peach's Castle looks gorgeous.

78_1.jpg

Nintendo anime/cartoons ranked

1. Star Fox Zero: The Battle Begins
  2. F-Zero GP Legend
  3. Pokemon
  4. Hoshi No Kirby
  5. Super Mario Bros. Super Show (and subsequent seasons that take on a different name)
  6. Those Kid Icarus animated shorts you could watch on your 3DS.
  7. The Legend of Zelda
  8. Captain N: The Game Master
  9. Fire Emblem

It boggles the mind there's no Punch-Out!! anime.

11 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

2. F-Zero GP Legend
  3. Pokemon
  4. Hoshi No Kirby
  5. Super Mario Bros. Super Show (and subsequent seasons that take on a different name)
  7. The Legend of Zelda
  9. Fire Emblem

Excuse me! An interactive anime is what saved the franchise. 

1 hour ago, Dai said:

I gotta say, I'm glad they're upgrading the visuals on the old stages instead of how Wii U just kinda brought them over. Peach's Castle looks gorgeous.

Are you referring to the two DLC 64 stages? I get the sense they were aiming for 64-bit retro simplicity/nostalgia. But the problem is 64-bit graphics are just ugly, nothing to be nostalgic for, unlike 8-bit and 16-bit. Even the Retro Mario costume in Odyssey got a touch up, only the one other thing didn't get an upgrade.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer
Needed to include strikethrough to point out I wasn't being serious

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I was not aware that we are getting a Snipperclips song in Ultimate. 

Yeah it was confirmed a few weeks ago.

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

2. F-Zero GP Legend
  3. Pokemon
  4. Hoshi No Kirby
  7. The Legend of Zelda
  9. Fire Emblem

It boggles the mind there's no Punch-Out!! anime.

Why do you rank the Fire Emblem ova so low?

There was also that 3D Donkey Kong cartoon btw.

Edited by Jotari