Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

3 minutes ago, Sire said:

Adventure Mode saved the Direct for me. A shame it is not apparently a "deep storyline" like in Brawl, but I'll take it. I loved the opening cutscene, especially the bit with Shulk and Snake. And of course Kirby starts everything off. Kirby is the most OP character confirmed! // I just wonder if there are platforming stages in Adventure or if it is normal battles with a twist (with some boss encounters here and there).

I wonder if it not being deep will decrease the amounts of cutscenes. After the amazing opening cutscene it would be a shame if we didn't get any more of them. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did this to myself, wish I hadn't believed the "leaks"

I don't think were going to get the codec conversations or the ones from Kid Icarus, did they announce it for brawl before launch?

That cutscene still has me shaking. I never wanted to see these characters get axed. But starting the mode as just Kirby? It could only be him. The canonically strongest character.

Conflicted feelings after this direct. In some ways I got more than I expected but in other ways I didn't. Event-ure Mode is the coolest thing I've ever seen, but I thought Break the Targets were coming back. And at least a demo? Let's see:

Things I want to be saying after the Direct

• Unlockable COSTUMES for each character!?
  • The only thing better than the casual reveal of Break the Targets is the equally casual reveal of Board the Platforms.
  • Brb, downloading the demo

Things I don't want to be saying after the Direct

• Where he be? My Bandanna Dee?
  • Oh boy, that French company's employees are getting targeted on Social media because people are mad their hopes were raised by a dumb rumor.
  • Sooooo, I can go online with the Mii Fighters, but I have to be a Guest Mii?

Things I expect to be saying after the Direct

• As per the usual, all of y'all are too fixated on the characters like there's no actual video game being presented here. I can expect that for a Warriors game or Fire Emblem Heroes, but Smash?
  • So the online mode is just copy paste from the last game with no new modes or features. Welp, at least this will be the rare Nintendo game I can party up with Friends.
  • This game is my life. I am just going to be nothing outside of it for the whole Winter.
  • Nope
  • Nope
  • Nope x10

• Yeah...
  • I'd be surprised if that didn't happen looking at these initial reactions
  • Jury is still out on this. Definitely not something you'd announce in a Direct now that I think on it.

• Ha, yep.
  • Rule preference and Ranked play are different enough
  • I'm still shaking. What a game.
Edited by Glennstavos

Oh my god this was really bad as far as characters.

Why, WHY, save Ken and Incineroar for last in a game where you're adding Ridley and K Rool?! If you know the roster why not save the huge deals for last? The way they did it just created unrealistic expectations.

Why bring Isaac back as an Assist? Him being back has to mean someone noticed his popularity, right? So why not make him playable or save him for DLC? He has the easiest moveset, complete with Final Smash, ever.

Why is Rex a Mii costume and Pyra a Spirit? Moreover why does Xenoblade have no new characters or stages? Even if XC2 was late for a fighter, where is Elma or any stage from XCX?

Why rub the salt in the wound at the end, after deconfirming a ton of highly requested characters, showing freaking Pirahna Plant as a unique newcomer?!

Why tease DLC while also confirming you probably already know exactly which characters are going to be added?

I'm just so disappointed the Grinch leak was BS. That would've been fine if we'd gotten something just as good or better, but no, we get Ken, who everyone expected, Incineroar, who no one wanted, and Pirahna Plant.

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

That cutscene still has me shaking. I never wanted to see these characters get axed. But starting the mode as just Kirby? It could only be him. The canonically strongest character.

Isn't Bayonetta the strongest character canonically? She can punch God across the universe, after all.

Quick Summary:

• Spirits sound interesting
  • Definitely looking forward to the new Adventure Mode: World of Light
  • Don’t care about Ken
  • Incineroar is very disappointing. Why not a grass-type starter like Sceptile, Torterra or Decidueye? If it had to be a two-legged fire type, why not Infernape? 
  • Piranha Plant is... definitely not what I expected. It looks interesting, though I personally was hoping for Captain Toad.
  • Black Knight as an assist trophy is cool. Though I’m a bit disssapointed that Micaiah’s a spirit, rather than a playable fighter. I might’ve preferred the Black Knight as a boss, but this leaves room for other potential bosses: Ashnard, Ashera, Medeus, etc.
  • Tiki as an assist trophy is also really cool.
  • I know Rex was too late for the roster, so I’m glad he’s at least a mini costume. A bit saddened that Elma’s not playable fighter. Hoping she’s DLC.

Overall, definitely looking forward to the game. 

Edited by vanguard333

I was expecting only two more fighters (besides DLC) so I wasn't too disappointed by Ken and Incineroar... except for the fact that somebody leaked them. That's irksome.

I'm glad that the DLC will include 5 stages and characters as well as music. Still hoping for a new Kirby and Xenoblade rep, but Rex is looking unlikely for the latter.

But then there's the extra DLC fighter. Piranha Plant got a solid WTF out of me. I know who one of my new mains is gonna be! XD

Spirits Mode looks neat. I'd have preferred Adventure-style platforming stages but upgraded Event Match is cool too. That opening cutscene was... intense. And voiced! That was cool. I hope there's more cutscenes too.

Oh, and Galleom returns. That's cool. I liked Galleom as far as original generation enemies went.

Oh, and I'm laughing at everybody who drank the kool-aid on that Grinch leak. Told y'all it was fake...!

Edited by Anomalocaris

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

Incineroar is very disappointing. Why not a grass-type starter like Sceptile, Torterra or Decidueye? If it had to be a two-legged fire type, why not Infernape?

Easy.  Incineroar is the most recent.

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I wonder if it not being deep will decrease the amounts of cutscenes. After the amazing opening cutscene it would be a shame if we didn't get any more of them. 

I thinking it's unlikely. Seems this will just be a collecton on an ever expanding map. I don't get the feeling that there's much of a story to speak of beyond an opening and ending cutscene. Though I wouldn't at all be disappointed if I'm wrong.

And looking at the DLC reveal again, the Xenoblade 2 stuff is a preorder bonus. They do say that they haven't developed any of the paid DLC yet. So the only way Rex is unlikely is if all of the DLC sets are themed around a certain franchise, which isn't a given. I could definitely see down the road a set where we get playable Rex with a stage, music and spirit selection unrelated to Xenoblade.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Isn't Bayonetta the strongest character canonically? She can punch God across the universe, after all.

She did have help with that though.

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Agreed. I know I loved the cutscenes in Brawl, but newer Smash Bros tends to allocate "cutscene budget" to character trailers. They are still awesome, but there is a difference between characters being awesome and characters interacting with each other.

I remember on a GameXplain discussion there were some inconsistent with the Simon reveal trailer, with some speculation that parts of the trailer may be cut from an actual in-game cutscene. At the very least I expect bosses to be cutscenes.

Rex and Ribbon Girl as Mii's costumes hurt my heart. But there is still hope for a Monster Hunter playable character!

On another note, the stickers Spirits replace trophies right? But do we still have a gallery mode to see every one of them with a nice wall of text attached to them?

World of Light seems interesting and I sure hope we will see coop in it. 

So many deconfirmations RIP.... :(

Anyway it was an alright Smash Ultimate Direct finale not the BEST Smash one overall. Lol Piranha Plant was strange yet awesome can't wait to try and main Incineroar too! Awakening Tiki was a great choice as an assist trophy I'm glad FE FINALLY got more assist trophies than just Lyn alone(this should've happen since 4) although the 2 choices would've been great playable choices oh well....No trophies suck I'm might give the spirits story mode(World of Light) a chance it doesn't look like it'll top Melee's(adventure) maybe a small bit or Brawl's(subspace) imo but pretty ok.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

oh yeah, sounds like they just ripped Black Knight's lines strait from Heroes

now that we have Dual Audio I wonder if we'll get the J Version of Lost in Thoughts

Edited by Captain Karnage

I GOT BINGO GUYS! WHAT DO I WIN?!

Smash Bros Ultimate Bingo 11/1/18

The Grinch Leak is Real

More Assist Pokemon

More Stages

Elma

All-Star Mode

Incineroar

Adventure/Story Mode

Sakurai Trolls Us

Isaac

More Characters Die

Ken

Downloadable Demo

Free Space

More Assist Trophies

Fans Complain About Waluigi

Smash Run

N64 Smash Bros on Eshop

Shadow The Hedgehog

More Music

Fire Emblem Character

More Items

Break The Targets

Trophy Gallery

The Grinch Leak is Fake

Shantae

5 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Oh my god this was really bad as far as characters.

Why, WHY, save Ken and Incineroar for last in a game where you're adding Ridley and K Rool?! If you know the roster why not save the huge deals for last? The way they did it just created unrealistic expectations.

Why bring Isaac back as an Assist? Him being back has to mean someone noticed his popularity, right? So why not make him playable or save him for DLC? He has the easiest moveset, complete with Final Smash, ever.

Why is Rex a Mii costume and Pyra a Spirit? Moreover why does Xenoblade have no new characters or stages? Even if XC2 was late for a fighter, where is Elma or any stage from XCX?

Why rub the salt in the wound at the end, after deconfirming a ton of highly requested characters, showing freaking Pirahna Plant as a unique newcomer?!

Why tease DLC while also confirming you probably already know exactly which characters are going to be added?

I'm just so disappointed the Grinch leak was BS. That would've been fine if we'd gotten something just as good or better, but no, we get Ken, who everyone expected, Incineroar, who no one wanted, and Pirahna Plant.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm hoping that Elma ends up being DLC. 

Xenoblade X under performed, so I highly doubt they care about promoting Elma. Rex I find highly likely to get in, despite everyone else viewing his Mii Costume as a deconfirmation. I mean, what motivation would they have to not make Rex a fighter? Xenoblade 2 did well, they know that, that's why they're giving it top billing for DLC, and they've confirmed to have not started making any of the paid DLC, so there's absolutely nothing stopping them from putting him in. Only rationale reason not to include Rex is if there's just a tonne more interesting characters that are of a higher priority, which I don't think there is.

3 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Quick Summary:

• Spirits sound interesting
  • Definitely looking forward to the new Adventure Mode: World of Light
  • Don’t care about Ken
  • Incineroar is very disappointing. Why not a grass-type starter like Sceptile, Torterra or Decidueye? If it had to be a two-legged fire type, why not Infernape? 
  • Piranha Plant is... definitely not what I expected. It looks interesting, though I personally was hoping for Captain Toad.
  • Black Knight as a bassist trophy is cool. Though I’m a bit disssapointed that Micaiah’s a spirit, rather than a playable fighter.
  • I know Rex was too late for the roster, so I’m glad he’s at least a mini costume. A bit saddened that Elma’s not playable fighter. Hoping she’s DLC.

Overall, definitely looking forward to the game. 

Perhaps it’s because Incineroar is dominant in the VGC series currently. I guess that is not the only metagame I have to worry about. 

Spirits seem interesting. Is there actually a   Plot? 

The one things that bothers me is the roster. I know they wanted to give a Smash 64 flashback, but that’s something only a player from that era would appreciate. What they should have done was choose 8 characters and unlock the rest. 

2 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I GOT BINGO GUYS! WHAT DO I WIN?!

Smash Bros Ultimate Bingo 11/1/18

The Grinch Leak is Real

More Assist Pokemon

More Stages

Elma

All-Star Mode

Incineroar

Adventure/Story Mode

Sakurai Trolls Us

Isaac

More Characters Die

Ken

Downloadable Demo

Free Space

More Assist Trophies

Fans Complain About Waluigi

Smash Run

N64 Smash Bros on Eshop

Shadow The Hedgehog

More Music

Fire Emblem Character

More Items

Break The Targets

Trophy Gallery

The Grinch Leak is Fake

Shantae

Sakurai sort of trolled us by saying he'd revealed all of the characters, and then immediatly revealing another and getting around his wording by saying it was DLC. Also, who's the Fire Emblem Character you're marking off? Tiki?

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Xenoblade X under performed, so I highly doubt they care about promoting Elma

Only because it was on the Wii U. Even though X underpreformed, it's still part of an actice series.

Besides, since they haven't started on DLC yet, they could've looked at Elma's boost in popularirty after appearing as DLC in Xenoblade 2.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Only because it was on the Wii U. Even though X underpreformed, it's still part of an actice series.

Besides, since they haven't started on DLC yet, they could've looked at Elma's boost in popularirty after appearing as DLC in Xenoblade 2.

Or they could include Xenoblade 2's actual protagonist. See my previous post. I'm not against an Elma inclusion, but I can't imagine why they would include her over Rex unless they thought she had much more potential for a moveset.

Edited by Jotari

2 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Perhaps it’s because Incineroar is dominant in the VGC series currently. I guess that is not the only metagame I have to worry about. 

Spirits seem interesting. Is there actually a   Plot? 

The one things that bothers me is the roster. I know they wanted to give a Smash 64 flashback, but that’s something only a player from that era would appreciate. What they should have done was choose 8 characters and unlock the rest. 

I believe Incineroar is popular in Japan for Gen 7 final Evolutions next to Primarina so that might have something to do with it too.

Pretty awesome direct overall. Piranha Plant was the newcomer that nobody asked for but we all realized we needed and I am hyped! Really happy to have another adventure mode too, after all for all it's lengthy missteps The Subspace Emissary was easily one of my favorite things about Brawl in before final boss is revealed to be an allegory for smash community greed :P. I really hate the extra price tag for internet play but at this point I might pay out so I can reunite with the Serenes Smash Community.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Also, who's the Fire Emblem Character you're marking off? Tiki?

Tiki, Owain, Severa, Seliph, Hinoka, The Black Knight, Alm, Celica... Give the poor boy his cake.