Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

HEY UHHHH

Jump to the 1:58 mark. Robin's Final Smash is still Pair Up. Chrom is still in it. Even though he's his own character now.

Outrealm shenanigans.

That's disappointing. It would've been cool for it to change to something involving Grima.

I am curious to see if it changes if Chrom is in the battle. If it stays the same, then it proves that a character can be playable even if they have another role in battle as well. Which would, in theory, extend to assist trophies and the possibility of them getting promoted to playable status.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, if they had "ascended trophies" they could simply implement code that prevents the AT version from appearing in the battle so long as at least one player is playing the ascended version. Although considering that you can play multiple copies of the same character anyway, even that may not be necessary.

Going off what someone on Smashboards is claiming, apparently Roy isn't dubbed.

Meaning the only reason Marth likely was dubbed in the first place being that they redid his lines in Japanese as well.

I don't want to believe it (and it's only one person who hasn't even played the demo claiming it) but there's been enough little disappointments already that I'm not ruling it out.

16 hours ago, Ashen Jedi said:

Plus all the nods to Zangief were great in Sakurai’s own words even.

Incineroar is NOT the Red Cyclone. 

hrm, now that we've seen a lot of modes and menu options, it's odd to think we haven't seen much of actually moving through a menu organically. They would always cut directly to what they want to talk about. I'm just saying - we haven't yet seen Games&More. Vault is now a Main Menu option, so that's not in there. Judging from the last game, we could expect to see Classic Mode, Mob Smash (new name for Multi Man Smash), mii customization, Training mode and...? 

Seems to me like returning modes have only been mentioned in Smash Directs to demonstrate some kind of major difference. We seen Classic Mode because it's now a set campaign for each character. We seen Training Mode because there's new visual tools. We seen All Star Mode basically replacing Endless Smash rather than returning as a time sink for trophy/challenge collection. We seen Challenges because they're now categorized by type. This connection might explain why we haven't seen some other returning modes. Homerun Contest, Stage Builder, they could still be in and they just had nothing to say about anything that's different. HRC gets a pass since they haven't updated that mode since Brawl and it's still fun. I especially doubt that Mob Smash is the only Stadium mode in the game. I'm also skeptical that Event-ure Mode is the only place where you'll be acquiring, equipping, and leveling up Spirits. So some minigame like Trophy Rush to acquire them feels likely. I definitely think there are more returning modes in the game, they just beg the question of why they haven't been mentioned.

As somebody who picked Litten over the other two, I hate that Incineroar is in the game. Admittedly, he does make the most sense out of any of the gen 7 starters, but that kind of is what makes it disappointing.

"Let's put the pre-wrestling Pokemon in a fighting/party game."

I feel like Decidueye would have been a much more creative and fun pick. I don't even know how they'd handle Primarina.

Summing up my reaction:

*sees Incineroar*
Not like this.
*Isaac confirmed as an Assist trophy*
*Shantae is a Spirit, Rex only as a Mii costume*
NOT LIKE THIS!
*then Piranha Plant reveal*
NOT LIKE THIS!!! ... while dying of laughter.

Oh well, none of the people I really wanted playable made it into the base game. Still, Ultimate looks really promising.

5 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Summing up my reaction:

*sees Incineroar*
Not like this.
*Isaac confirmed as an Assist trophy*
*Shantae is a Spirit, Rex only as a Mii costume*
NOT LIKE THIS!
*then Piranha Plant reveal*
NOT LIKE THIS!!! ... while dying of laughter.

Oh well, none of the people I really wanted playable made it into the base game. Still, Ultimate looks really promising.

I got K. Rool, who I've pretty much wanted since Melee, and I'll be happy to take Simon/Richter, though I wasn't actively hoping for them to be in. And Ridley's nice, but I don't really have much of an attachment to Metroid.

Beyond that, yeah. Not too happy with the newcomers. But Ultimate still looks good.

I also skipped out on Smash 4, so all of those characters will effectively be new to me.

Edited by Slumber

Hmm, so I had a thought recently.

A lot of people have already pointed out that the cliff they're standing on at the beginning of World of Light is the cliff that Subspace Emissary ended on, overlooking where the Isle of Ancients used to be.

If you recall, when the Isle of Ancients disappeared at the end of SSE, it left behind a glowing region of light in its place- Sakurai's story notes from the final Brawl website update confirm that this isn't the sun, but some other light source.

You guys think Galeem is this "gleam"ing light taken on sentience?

57 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

A lot of people have already pointed out that the cliff they're standing on at the beginning of World of Light is the cliff that Subspace Emissary ended on, overlooking where the Isle of Ancients used to be.

If you recall, when the Isle of Ancients disappeared at the end of SSE, it left behind a glowing region of light in its place- Sakurai's story notes from the final Brawl website update confirm that this isn't the sun, but some other light source.

Galeem -> Gleam doesn't seem too unlikely. Although I doubt we'll get any sort of explanation. Who the hell was Tabuu after all?

1 hour ago, Anomalocaris said:

Something else I noticed 

the hole the lasers come out of is straight out of those black hole things from SSE

My impression of each of the newcomers:

1. Inkling: Never played Splatoon. Don't really care, but I'll probably try them out once or twice out of curiosity.
  2. Ridley: Never played Metroid. Didn't really care either way whether or not he'd be a playable fighter. His introduction was scary, and he does seem cool. I'll give him a try.
  3. Simon/Richter Belmont: I was personally hoping for Trevor Belmont (I haven't played the games, but I really enjoy the show), but I'm glad that Belmonts are playable fighters and I will definitely be using them.
  4. King K. Rool: Never played any of those Donkey Kong games that had him (except maybe one my family may have had on the N64. I would've been three so I barely remember... I only remember Mario Kart 64, Iggy's Wrecking Balls, and a Duck Dodgers game, but I know we had more). He seems like he'll be fun to fight against, but I'll rarely if ever use him, but he seems fairly interesting.
  5. Isabelle: Haven't played the more recent Animal Crossing games, so I had no idea who she was. She seems like an interesting semi-clone of Villager, but I probably won't use her very often, if at all. 
  6. Incineroar: Why? Why? Three better options spring to the top of my head immediately: Decidueye, Sceptile, and Infernape. I'm going to enjoy sending him off-screen with Ike; all while wondering why Incineroar of all Pokémon was picked. 
  7. Piranha Plant: this one was out of nowhere. I definitely did not expect this. But it seems like it'll be fun to play. There's just something unnerving me about it, and I don't know why. In Mario games, Piranha Plant feels like another enemy. In that Smash Bros video, it reminded me of the evil man-eating plant in Little Shop of Horrors. Side note: I personally was hoping Captain Toad would be the next Mario character. 

Overall, I feel, "meh" about the newcomers, with one that I particularly like, and one that I particularly dislike. Funny enough, none of the characters that I personally was hoping would be playable fighters got in: not Micaiah, Captain Toad, Trevor Belmont, or Sceptile/Decidueye. 

Is anyone else feeling, "meh" overall about the newcomers?

Edited by vanguard333

You know own what I love about Prianha Plant? It was completely unexpected, but it's moveset is really inspired. Piranha Plants have had many varied forms over the years and they're represented well in the moveset. It's not some joke minion character, it's a really, really well made joke minion character. They didn't pull a moveset out of their ass. Piranha Plant ticks all the boxes for a great Smash Bros. fighter. Distint, fun and representative of the character's abilities. I think the reaction to Piranha Plant, while polarising, is largely well received precisely because we got to see it unspoiled. If  leakers gave away Piranha Plant before, more people probably wouldn't be on board (assuming anyone would take a leak saying Prianha Plant is in the game seriously).

Edited by Jotari

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You know own what I love about Prianha Plant? It was completely unexpected, but it's moveset is really inspired. Piranha Plants have had many varied forms over the years and they're represented well in the moveset. It's not some joke minion character, it's a really, really well made joke minion character. They didn't pull a moveset out of their ass. Piranha Plant ticks all the boxes for a great Smash Bros. fighter. Distint, fun and representative of the character's abilities. I think the reaction to Piranha Plant, while polarising, is largely well received precisely because we got to see it unspoiled. If  leakers gave away Piranha Plant before, more people probably wouldn't be on board (assuming anyone would take a leak saying Prianha Plant is in the game seriously).

I like it because Piranha Plants are probably the most recognizable Mario minion after Goombas, possibly after Koopa Troopers, yet as far as I know, they've never been represented as playable in any of the Mario spinoffs or crossovers. Boos, Shy Guys, Dry Bones, Monty Mole... All have gotten their time.

Yet Piranha Plant is the first minion to take the big stage as a playable character in a Smash Bros game of all things. Bullet Bill for Smash 6.

27 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Yet Piranha Plant is the first minion to take the big stage as a playable character in a Smash Bros game of all things. Bullet Bill for Smash 6.

Nah, we gotta branch out to other franchises. Shriekbat for Smash 6.

28 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Nah, we gotta branch out to other franchises. Shriekbat for Smash 6.

Come on guys, it's Smsh Bros. Clearly they'll add another Fire emblem character. Early game Brigand for DLC!

Edit: I joke, but representing Fire Emblem fighters as classes instead of characters, where every alternate costume is a different character, could potentially please a lot of people. Could be a route to go down if they completely revamp Smash after this game, which is something they've implied they might.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Edit: I joke, but representing Fire Emblem fighters as classes instead of characters, where every alternate costume is a different character, could potentially please a lot of people. Could be a route to go down if they completely revamp Smash after this game, which is something they've implied they might.

I think I actually remember someone else mentioning that, or something akin to that, in another topic some time ago, and honestly, I’d be down for that idea. It’d be the best way to introduce some variety in the Fire Emblem side of things in both, combat and character selection, without having to take up unnecessary space in the roster.

Considering we're giving our thoughts on new entries:

Spoiler

Inkling: Makes sense, seems neat in game. Would be nice to try. Never played by the way.

Ridley: On the one hand, can't be a massive monster of a boss. On the other hand he's no longer too big, alright I guess though that massive attack with the tail still concerns me. Still not finished any Metroid games.

Simon: You know what, I'm not the biggest fan of the design (why is he blonde now?) but his gameplay is such a neat concept that him and Richter have to be up there for me. Never played a Simon Castlevania, but have finished one or two.

King K. Rool: *Midi sea shanty plays in the distance. Never touched DKC. His deflect seems like an interesting mechanic, does it require twitch timing?

Isabelle: I'm still confused why she's not an echo honestly. Can someone explain?

Incineroar: Despite that the gameplay could be interesting (And that is something for it), I bet we could have gotten something else for this. It also confirms Incineroar was decided on in 2015. So it also confirms Game Freak were dedicated to this awful design that far back (And Smash does improve the look of the design, fair is fair). IMO, it kind of feels like it's got forced popularity. The fact that there was the backlash of a possible 4th fire/fighting starter might come back too with how fighting focused it is here (I'm not saying it's sensible (I thought it, but that doesn't mean it was) but hey older complaints have been dug back up before).

Piranha Plant: Such a bizarre choice, but hey I'm not even mad. Maybe because the rage well bottomed out after Incineroar (Unlikely), but this is still interesting and bizarre.

Daisy: Alright, makes sense. No complaints.

Richter: Probably would use over Simon honestly.

Chrom: Okay, so he likely sucks. Still going to use him anyway.

Dark Samus: How different is she?

Ken: Probably the most obvious echo entry, they probably should have gotten him out of the way. 

12 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Going off what someone on Smashboards is claiming, apparently Roy isn't dubbed.

Meaning the only reason Marth likely was dubbed in the first place being that they redid his lines in Japanese as well.

I don't want to believe it (and it's only one person who hasn't even played the demo claiming it) but there's been enough little disappointments already that I'm not ruling it out.

Actually some people in Spain said he has an English voice.

19 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Considering we're giving our thoughts on new entries:

Hide contents

Simon: You know what, I'm not the biggest fan of the design (why is he blonde now?) but his gameplay is such a neat concept that him and Richter have to be up there for me. Never played a Simon Castlevania, but have finished one or two.

latest?cb=20170930102218

Simon has always been blonde, up until Ayami Kojima started work on illustrations for the series.

41 minutes ago, Dai said:

Simon has always been blonde, up until Ayami Kojima started work on illustrations for the series.

Did not know that, only images I'd associate with him seemed to suggest he had brown hair. Alright then.

35 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Did not know that, only images I'd associate with him seemed to suggest he had brown hair. Alright then.

There are some that do. Simon’s blue palette draws inspiration from Super Castlevania IV, which has that hair color, and a few 90’s images suggest brown as well.

Every alt was here, but it seems the video was taken down. I'll add it back if another is uploaded, but still I think we should all appreciate that Incineroar has a Big the Cat color.

Also, Corrin has a new victory theme and it's exactly what you think it is, which fits because the main FE theme is barely in Fates.

Edited by Lightchao42

14 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Every alt is here!

I think we should all appreciate that Incineroar has a Big the Cat color.

Also, Corrin has a new victory theme and it's exactly what you think it is, which fits because the main FE theme is barely in Fates.

I love the fact that the Pokemon Trainer has an Ash alt.