Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Etheus said:

How can Chrom be worse than Roy when Chrom fixes one of Roy's primary weaknesses (his base-of-weapon sweetspot).

Chrom's recovery is quite possibly the worst in the entire cast. It has even more flaws than Ikes aether and he doesn't have Ike's side b for horizontal distance, he's basically Smash 4 Mac but with a Sword.

That and Roy actually has more methods of hitting that base of weapon sweetspot, along with his sourspots providing combo potential now. Chrom will likely be alright but that recovery is going to hurt any viablity.

Edited by Ashen Jedi

Chrom's probably a monster on any walk off or water stage. I almost always play on a team with my brother, who almost exclusively plays characters with crap recoveries, so I'm pretty conditioned to supporting a character like that. Chrom's his favorite character, so I'm not really concerned.

9 hours ago, Ashen Jedi said:

ZeRo's  current thoughts on the cast 

72b062ff30bf6b6dfcde5e8596fd7f41.png

From what I’ve seen in videos this looks about right. 

The only changes I would make is putting Chrom in the “Looked mediocre” and Pokemon Trainer and Isabelle in the “Looks very promising”.

Seriously, every analysis video I see, people are praising Isabelle a lot.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

No, I was being sincere. Asking every individual what they think is a much better gauge of how a large number of people feel compared to putting them all in a room and seeing who can shout the loudest. That's why we elect our leaders via democracy.

Yea, that makes sense, but I don't necessarily believe a Fire Emblem forum speaks for Smash Bros player everywhere.

11 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Cloud isn't dubbed. The nitty-gritty of it is that Steve Burton is a live action actor of some renown with a ton of union stuff in the way of him doing voicework in Smash-- most specifically, a clause on his contract that mandates that he has to be credited in any work he's appeared in (which tidily closes the loophole of featuring union talent but not openly crediting them for it). SE has a decent enough relationship with him (he's back for VIIR, seemingly) and in general it's probably considered to be not worth it to recast him solely for one role.

I think it's more along the lines of whatever the hell is up Square's ass about their copyrights. This whole union has been loophole more than once, Square is just being weirdly stingy which apparently isn't the 1st time this has happnen with them

16 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

I think it's more along the lines of whatever the hell is up Square's ass about their copyrights. This whole union has been loophole more than once, Square is just being weirdly stingy which apparently isn't the 1st time this has happnen with them

Square being like that is the reason I think Sora has zero chances of being in Smash.

They would have to go through two very stingy companies, Square and Disney, to get Sora in.

Remember Sora is a Disney propriety, not Square’s.

1 hour ago, Zangetsu said:

I've heard that FFVII's music in particular is a bit of a copyright hell-- which is unrelated to union troubles. And as I said, one of the terms on Steve Burton's contract is that he needs to be credited-- which closes the loophole of having union talent but not openly crediting them.

1 hour ago, Water Mage said:

Square being like that is the reason I think Sora has zero chances of being in Smash.

They would have to go through two very stingy companies, Square and Disney, to get Sora in.

Remember Sora is a Disney propriety, not Square’s.

I've seen several videos and write-ups on this.

This one being the most frequently cited:

A gamefaqs post that includes details from that video and other anecdotes:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76889336

Sora's more likely than a lot of people think.

As far as Disney goes, it doesn't seem like they particularly care for Sora all that much. I mean, has he ever been used in their imperial marketing outside of Kingdom Hearts? I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of Disney employees couldn't even name Sora and just thought of him as the game deal they have with the Japanese. Disney is incredibly wary when it comes to their characters, but they don't seem to really class Sora as one of their characters. Nintendo is a trusted family friendly company and Smash is a big title (and if you remember Wreck it Ralph, Nintendo has already licensed their characters to Disney before, so a good working relationship is conceivable). If Disney could get some free money by allowing Sora to appear in Smash, I don't really see why they would have much reason to refuse. It would be very unlikely to tarnish Sora's image, especially if it's DLC and the game has already been released meaning it's clear exactly what and how Sora would appear in the game. 

19 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

I found a video with clear audio on Reddit of Roy gameplay. Still, I can’t tell if it’s Ray Chase or not. Roy sounds a bit different 

Hide contents

I almost sure it’s Ray Chase. Plus, Ray is being very coy on Twitter when people asked if he voiced Roy. 

If he didn’t voice Roy, he would have outright denied it, like Rena Strober did when asked if she singed Lifelight.

19 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

I found a video with clear audio on Reddit of Roy gameplay. Still, I can’t tell if it’s Ray Chase or not. Roy sounds a bit different 

Reveal hidden contents

Ray was heavily teasing things on twitter shortly after E3. He probably received slightly different direction than in FEH; definitely feels like they still tried to go for hotblooded yells like Jun Fukuyuma's take in the Japanese version.

Still nice to have decent quality footage of dubbed Roy.

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I've heard more than my fair share of Roy's yelps, grunts, and ee-yahs. That's a new voice over. If it is a new person, they're definitely trying hard to keep the same tone of the old Roy, unlike Marth. 

Exactly, which is why there's been some confusion over whether he's dubbed or not (as what footage we had before was lower audio quality).

Though it's worth noting that Marth was redone in Japan as well, while Roy carries over his voice clips from Smash 4. 

3 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Exactly, which is why there's been some confusion over whether he's dubbed or not (as what footage we had before was lower audio quality).

Though it's worth noting that Marth was redone in Japan as well, while Roy carries over his voice clips from Smash 4. 

Ah, yes I suppose Marth would be redone in Japanese since they needed to call him in anyway for the world of light cutscene. I was thinking more about how I feel the Japanese and English VAs for Marth have had such different tones for his speaking voice. And notable dialogue. What was it Marth would say in his Melee taunt? "Everybody, watch me!". Odd to think of Marth being depicted so...attention seeking when the English version has such meek dialogue and tone of voice.

Anyway, whether or not Roy is dubbed probably comes down to anybody catching some footage of his taunts at a non-japanese demo event. Grunts and yelps won't tip us off to any particular language. But them doing a new VA for Roy in Japanese at all leads me to think it may be a priority for the developers. Maybe there's a voiced line in a World of Light cutscene?

21 hours ago, Ashen Jedi said:

ZeRo's  current thoughts on the cast 

72b062ff30bf6b6dfcde5e8596fd7f41.png

Haven't been keeping up with the characters that much since announcement beyond K.Rool.

Chrom's kind of a mish-mash of Marth/Ike, right? Did they just give him the bad parts of both as opposed to the good parts?

5 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

What was it Marth would say in his Melee taunt? "Everybody, watch me!". Odd to think of Marth being depicted so...attention seeking when the English version has such meek dialogue and tone of voice.

From what I recall, the Japanese wording is probably less "everybody look at me, I want to be the center of attention!" and more "everyone, please watch over me as I fight."

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Chrom's kind of a mish-mash of Marth/Ike, right? Did they just give him the bad parts of both as opposed to the good parts?

More like Roy/Ike and yes, they basically just gave him the bad parts. Especially in recovery. Chrom has no horizontal recovery, only vertical, making him VERY easy to gimp. Aether's already a shitty recovery move but at least Ike has Quick Draw as well for that horizontal distance.

Unless Chrom's combo game is really good, he's got a one-way ticket to bottom-tier. Low-tier if he's lucky.

Hey, there's reports of Ultimate Demos hitting stores this week. Not major demo events like before, but as part of the generic switch demo package at any store. Reports are conflicting at this point on whether it's the full roster, or the old E3 build. Some folks who seen it in person claim it's the full roster.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

More like Roy/Ike and yes, they basically just gave him the bad parts. Especially in recovery. Chrom has no horizontal recovery, only vertical, making him VERY easy to gimp. Aether's already a shitty recovery move but at least Ike has Quick Draw as well for that horizontal distance.

Unless Chrom's combo game is really good, he's got a one-way ticket to bottom-tier. Low-tier if he's lucky.

Oh, ouch. Quick Draw I always remember being a reliable recovery option for Ike that really helped compensate for Aether, so having ONLY Aether seems really bad. Sounds like complete edge-guard bait.

1 minute ago, Ashen Jedi said:

https://imgur.com/a/M2Ol8bB

static images of all the alts.

I made it half way down the list without realizing the names.

I got to Pokemon Trainer and saw Michael Vick and was like "WHAT?!"

Edited by Slumber

20 minutes ago, Ashen Jedi said:

https://imgur.com/a/M2Ol8bB

static images of all the alts.

The names are the best part of that.

I assume the joke with WFT and Corrin is that everybody only uses the female versions of them, but I'm not sure why Robin got the same joke. I've seen a pretty good share of preference for both the male and female versions rather than a clear-cut winner.

58 minutes ago, Slumber said:

He's Roy with Ike's Aether. Magnet hands appear to be gone in this game and he's limited to a 90-degree vertical recovery.

1 minute ago, Florete said:

He's Roy with Ike's Aether. Magnet hands appear to be gone in this game and he's limited to a 90-degree vertical recovery.

Yeah, that seems like an oversight.