Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Oh, ouch. Quick Draw I always remember being a reliable recovery option for Ike that really helped compensate for Aether, so having ONLY Aether seems really bad. Sounds like complete edge-guard bait.

yeah, Ike at the very least threw his sword up first to protect him from incoming Dairs, Chrom doesn't even have that. It's a problem for a recovery move with no variance in distance traveled, angle of approach, or ledge snap. If chrom's recovering under the ledge, just aim your dair directly at the ledge and you'll hit him as long as your timing was right. Even worse then being edge guarded is having so little recovery distance that you couldn't reach the ledge at all after being sent far enough offstage. Not a lot of characters can claim to have such little distance. I think they wanted bad recoveries to be more pronounced in this game, hence the toning down of magnet hands on some characters like Mario

Edited by Glennstavos

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's something interesting, straight from Sakurai himself. You know he means business because he's tweeting in English.

So it seems that Nintendo gave Sakurai the options this time, and Sakurai picked five of them that he liked. I wonder what this means for the character selection...?

Edited by Lightchao42

6 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

So here's something interesting, straight from Sakurai himself.

So it seems that Nintendo gave Sakurai the options this time, and Sakurai picked five of them that he liked. I wonder what this means for the character selection...?

If that's the case then I think we can't expect many obscure characters. Nintendo will absolutely be following the money when it comes to character representation. Wouldn't be surprised to see another Pokemon or Mario character.

5 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

So here's something interesting, straight from Sakurai himself.

It means we probably won't have any real wildcards like Piranha Plant, and that it'll likely favor properties closer to Nintendo's in-house developers rather than subsidiaries.

2 minutes ago, Ashen Jedi said:

Keep an eye on anyone Nintendo has had any meetings with this past year company wise too.

Nintendo is making a Mario movie with Illumination, so Minions confirmed?

We can also make the Grinch leak real by including the actual Grinch, since Illumination is making a movie of him too.

5 minutes ago, Ashen Jedi said:

Keep an eye on anyone Nintendo has had any meetings with this past year company wise too.

Cygames so Euden, the Dragalia Lost protaganist, absolutely has a chance.

24 minutes ago, Ashen Jedi said:

That's like... everybody.

Well, except Sony.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

So here's something interesting, straight from Sakurai himself. You know he means business because he's tweeting in English.

My heart wants to hope for Lyn since Nintendo seems to like her, but I'm expecting something like more Pokemon or some major third-party character or something.

19 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Square being like that is the reason I think Sora has zero chances of being in Smash.

They would have to go through two very stingy companies, Square and Disney, to get Sora in.

Remember Sora is a Disney propriety, not Square’s.

Not entirely sure why Sora is brought up but yeah that's how that work. That being said he is in "World of FF"

18 hours ago, The DanMan said:

I've heard that FFVII's music in particular is a bit of a copyright hell-- which is unrelated to union troubles. And as I said, one of the terms on Steve Burton's contract is that he needs to be credited-- which closes the loophole of having union talent but not openly crediting them.

Well so much for hoping loopholes this time around for Cloud.

I'm still not entirely sure why people think Edelgard is a given since Corrin did at least half a year before being announce

18 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Not entirely sure why Sora is brought up but yeah that's how that work. That being said he is in "World of FF"

Well so much for hoping loopholes this time around for Cloud.

I'm still not entirely sure why people think Edelgard is a given since Corrin did at least half a year before being announce

I'm like 60% sure Melee was Roy's official announcement to the world. Little to no one knew of his existence prior to Melee's actual release. Although in the case of Binding Blade Sakurai actually had a hand in its development which I doubt is true for Tree House. Still, point is there's a precedent and if they want to do it they can. Only part of the game that really matters to Smash are the characters' battle animations when it comes down to it (even the special prf weapons aren't critical as Marth with his non existent Binding Shield proves).

Edited by Jotari

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I'm like 60% sure Melee was Roy's official announcement to the world. Little to no one knew of his existence prior to Melee's actual release.

Yes, but what works back then doesn't necessarily works now.

The more talk about Edelgard the more it sounds like I'm against her inclusion. I would also be lying if I didn't say I rather have someone else from Fire Emblem instead of her. I know the appeal of Edelgard it just kinda frustrating to know someone so new gets be prioritize because of thing like advertisement. I can't really see why she should be in instead of Azura or Leif but it's hard to not see the appeal of a magic Ax woman user.

37 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Yes, but what works back then doesn't necessarily works now.

Why so? Maybe you missed my edited post where he pointed out how the only thing necessary to port a Fire Emblem character to Smash are battle animations.

Leif is probably off the table, but I wouldn't discount Azura. Fates is still really popular and she could make for an interesting buff based character. They probably wouldn't do it, but I'd find it really cool if they made her a character designed purely around team battles.

Edited by Jotari

20 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Why so? Maybe you missed my edited post where he pointed out how the only thing necessary to port a Fire Emblem character to Smash are battle animations.

Yes, I most certainly did

59 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Although in the case of Binding Blade Sakurai actually had a hand in its development which I doubt is true for Tree House. Still, point is there's a precedent and if they want to do it they can.

If Sakurai was really involve in Binding Blade that's even more disappointing to know. Something as little as the projectile for the Binding Blade can do wonders to change people impression on said clone.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Only part of the game that really matters to Smash are the characters' battle animations when it comes down to it (even the special prf weapons aren't critical as Marth with his non existent Binding Shield proves).

That still really bothers me if I'm being frank. I'm honestly amaze on how faithful Corrin's moveset are compare to the rest of the cast.

25 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Leif is probably off the table, but I wouldn't discount Azura. Fates is still really popular and she could make for an interesting buff based character. They probably wouldn't do it, but I'd find it really cool if they made her a character designed purely around team battles.

I say Leif because out of all the main lords I personally believe that Leif has the biggest moveset potential. He's not the magical knight people made him out to be, but as far I'm concern he has a more interesting class, the master knight class. Given that he can all access all the weapon styles in this class that would mean he's essentially a weapon master. Can you imagine the sheer variety of weapon that can implement in his hypothetical moveset?

Even with my bias for Lyn, I still find Azura to stand out from the rest of the cast of Fire Emblem in general. A water bending ballet dancer that wield a staff makes her more unique than Ephraim in my book. Of course the problem is that Fate really really goes out of their way & say Azura wasn't meant to fight on the frontline. Of course, my counter argument to that would be we have a mook plant among the cast

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I'm like 60% sure Melee was Roy's official announcement to the world. Little to no one knew of his existence prior to Melee's actual release. Although in the case of Binding Blade Sakurai actually had a hand in its development which I doubt is true for Tree House. Still, point is there's a precedent and if they want to do it they can. Only part of the game that really matters to Smash are the characters' battle animations when it comes down to it (even the special prf weapons aren't critical as Marth with his non existent Binding Shield proves).

Roy was a clone. Edelgard would need to be unique.

Although I do think Edelgard is a strong possibility, the situation isn't very comparable to Roy.

38 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Yes, I most certainly did

If Sakurai was really involve in Binding Blade that's even more disappointing to know. Something as little as the projectile for the Binding Blade can do wonders to change people impression on said clone.

That still really bothers me if I'm being frank. I'm honestly amaze on how faithful Corrin's moveset are compare to the rest of the cast.

I say Leif because out of all the main lords I personally believe that Leif has the biggest moveset potential. He's not the magical knight people made him out to be, but as far I'm concern he has a more interesting class, the master knight class. Given that he can all access all the weapon styles in this class that would mean he's essentially a weapon master. Can you imagine the sheer variety of weapon that can implement in his hypothetical moveset?

Even with my bias for Lyn, I still find Azura to stand out from the rest of the cast of Fire Emblem in general. A water bending ballet dancer that wield a staff makes her more unique than Ephraim in my book. Of course the problem is that Fate really really goes out of their way & say Azura wasn't meant to fight on the frontline. Of course, my counter argument to that would be we have a mook plant among the cast

Yeah, I really wish Roy had his projectile. It's understandable for Melee when he was a clone and the game hadn't even been finished, but they absolutely should have given it to him when decloning him in SSB4.

22 minutes ago, Florete said:

Roy was a clone. Edelgard would need to be unique.

Although I do think Edelgard is a strong possibility, the situation isn't very comparable to Roy.

Roy was also in the base game while any Three Houses character would be DLC.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, I really wish Roy had his projectile. It's understandable for Melee when he was a clone and the game hadn't even been finished, but they absolutely should have given it to him when decloning him in SSB4.

Roy was also in the base game while any Three Houses character would be DLC.

You underestimate the work difference between uniques and clones. Sakurai has stated that even if he hadn't added Melee's 6 clones, he couldn't have added another unique fighter.

2 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Sora is being heavily hinted by some people who got details right so far in regards to Smash Ultimate, we'll have to wait to see the VGA's to see if they continue their good track records however.

29 minutes ago, Florete said:

You underestimate the work difference between uniques and clones. Sakurai has stated that even if he hadn't added Melee's 6 clones, he couldn't have added another unique fighter.

I'm not sure how you're taking that from my what I'm saying. I'm well aware echoes are much easier to make than regular characters (that's why I am and always have been a supporter of echoes) What I was saying is that any potential Three Houses character wouldn't be an echo precisely because they're DLC. It's not about difficulty of creation (regardless of who the DLC characters are they'll be completed in the same time frame of fourish months on average), but the existence of material to work with.  The main point is that they very likely have the assets that would be needed to make a Three Houses character complete already, even if the game itsef is far from finished.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Ashen Jedi said:

Sora is being heavily hinted by some people who got details right so far in regards to Smash Ultimate, we'll have to wait to see the VGA's to see if they continue their good track records however.

I won't be looking at the gift horse in the mouth here but why the VGA exactly? Seems a bit too optimistic if you ask me