Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

9 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

Roy has an English VA, we don't know who it is yet.

Rip Koro Sensei, and Craft Lawarence 

That's good to hear though it would be weird hearing him voiced by anyone other than Ray Chase should that be the case. It would also lead to the question who would voice our boy when the time comes for a remake, Ray Chase or a hypofetical new VA.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of how Ray Chase has done Roy, so I really hope it's him and that he continues with the role for the inevitable FE6 remake. Having a hard time really hearing Roy in the videos though. 

4 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

I won't be looking at the gift horse in the mouth here but why the VGA exactly? Seems a bit too optimistic if you ask me

It's the day before the game releases, and the source most heavily hinting it is implying there won't be too much shown/little if no gameplay and that it's being done more to sell the season pass.

I know I’m late but...

Laaaaaaaame. So lame. If there was any hype in me, it died that morning.

Ending the base roster with an Echo Fighter and a Pokemon that’s being pushed by Masuda was a terrible decision. They should’ve revealed Ken and Incineroar back in the August Direct and leave the Belmonts and K.Rool for last to end on a high note. Only DLC can salvage this game for me. I guess Incineroar will become my permanent punching bag for Training Mode. I hate that thing. Such a terrible design. 

As for Piranha Plant, Waluigi fans must feel like crap now. Characters being “deconfirmed” left, right and center. Poor Isaac. 

So, apparently, Nintendo will be in charge of actually choosing the DLC characters and Sakurai will choose from their list. I hope it’s not too disappointing. 

Some people keep talking about Edelgard, I hope it’s someone else. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

2 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

I know I’m late but...

Laaaaaaaame. So lame. If there was any hype in me, it died that morning.

Ending the base roster with an Echo Fighter and a Pokemon that’s being pushed by Masuda was a terrible decision. They should’ve revealed Ken and Incineroar back in the August Direct and leave the Belmonts and K.Rool for last to end on a high note. Only DLC can salvage this game for me. I guess Incineroar will become my permanent punching bag for Training Mode. I hate that thing. Such a terrible design. 

As for Piranha Plant, Waluigi fans must feel like crap now. Characters being “deconfirmed” left, right and center. Poor Isaac. 

So, apparently, Nintendo will be in charge of actually choosing the DLC characters and Sakurai will choose from their list. I hope it’s not too disappointing. 

Some people keep talking about Edelgard, I hope it’s someone else. 

74 characters not enough for you? Shame you’re so spoiled you feel Nintendo has to bend over backwards just to please you and you alone.

29 minutes ago, Ashen Jedi said:

74 characters not enough for you? Shame you’re so spoiled you feel Nintendo has to bend over backwards just to please you and you alone.

So, the whole “ungrateful” thing now? I should’ve seen that coming. 

Huh? I never asked for that many characters so drop the whole “spoiled” part. They should’ve just made a base roster of 8-12 or so and then have the player choose the rest if they want them or not. What’s the point of having 70+ characters if I don’t care for nearly 40 of them? 

Edited by Lord-Zero

51 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Huh? I never asked for that many characters so drop the whole “spoiled” part. They should’ve just made a base roster of 8-12 or so and then have the player choose the rest if they want them or not. What’s the point of having 70+ characters if I don’t care for nearly 40 of them? 

I’m confused...

becuase you didn’t ask for them... you want the roster to be smaller?

21 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I’m confused...

becuase you didn’t ask for them... you want the roster to be smaller?

For the base roster? Yes. I was honestly hoping for a reboot but this game is the complete opposite of that. Way too much fat. Well, the next Smash game will most likely be a reboot since Sakurai himself stated that the current roster will most likely not return so there’s that.

Edited by Lord-Zero

10 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

For the base roster? Yes. I was honestly hoping for a reboot but this game is the complete opposite of that. Way too much fat. Well, the next Smash game will most likely be a reboot since Sakurai himself stated that the current roster will most likely not return so there’s that.

So

you are mad

because of a larger roster?

what?

Just now, DisobeyedCargo said:

So

you are mad

because of a larger roster?

what?

I wouldn’t say “mad”. More like “disappointed”.

Just because it’s “big” doesn’t make it “better”. 

1 minute ago, Lord-Zero said:

I wouldn’t say “mad”. More like “disappointed”.

Just because it’s “big” doesn’t make it “better”. 

I still don’t see the logic here but okay 

generally people want a large roster of characters to choose from 

11 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I still don’t see the logic here but okay 

generally people want a large roster of characters to choose from 

Not everyone has the same mindset and “more” isn’t always “better”. It just becomes incredibly cluttered and lowers quality to some degree. Sakurai himself kinda noted this by making sure Echo Fighters could share spots with the original fighter they’re based on. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

9 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Not everyone has the same mindset and “more” isn’t always “better”. It just becomes incredibly cluttered and lowers quality to some degree. Sakurai himself kinda noted this by making sure Echo Fighters could share spots with the original fighter they’re based on. 

How does more fighters make the game more cluttered and lower quality?

you have more unique fighters to choose from 

1 minute ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

How does more fighters make the game more cluttered and lower quality?

you have more unique fighters to choose from 

Certainly more cluttered. Too busy. As I said, “lowered quality to SOME degree”. For one, trophies are gone and instead we know have .jpg files. All-Star Mode looks bad, among other things but that’s just me. I’d like more control over what’s in the roster of my copy of the game. I guess I can...kinda do that by not unlocking every character so there’s that. DLC is optional so if I don’t care about a character, I just don’t have to get that DLC. That’s the beauty of DLC. 

5 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

Smash characters are like really well defined when it comes to movesets. There's a simple elegance in having a set number of moves mapped to a directional and button input combination. In other words, even if they cut down the roster, none of the characters could actually be made all that much better, their Up Air is solidified as their Up Air, having more time to work on it isn't going to give them any better an Up Air (especially regarding the case of preexisting characters with solidified movesets). Cutting the roster in half would make balancing easier, but we have to actually play the game first to see how unbalanced it is and they can always apply balance patches anyway (which let's face it is the best way to balance the game as you move the balance testers from a group of half a dozen to a group of several million). The only real way reducing the roster would improve the quality of the existing characters would be bringing back and expanding on the idea of custom specials.

Edited by Jotari

I can relate to wanting a reboot...well, not really, I don't think you could reboot smash without trying a new genre and this is the game I want to play. But if you've been keeping up with any Smash news between now and E3 then you'd know that is not the direction they took, and you should have come to grips with that in the last five months. It can suck not getting the game you want, but you could be happy for the people who are into it.

1 hour ago, Lord-Zero said:

Or completely revamped and refreshed movesets which would be perfect for a reboot. 

Well that's probably what you'll get next time round, but it changes you're argument from "This game is bad" to "This is not the game I was hoping for." Which is a fair enough opinion, but this game isn't worse because you were expecting something else. I hoped Fates would go back to Radiant Dawn style skill system instead of carrying on Awakening's levelling system, but I don't thing Fates is inherently a bad game because it did something other than what I wanted.

Oh, and also, any of the characters you complained about not getting in in your opening post absolutely wouldn't get in in a reboot. The whole reason we have 70+ characters is because there's so many veterans that have been mostly made already. If Waluigi couldn't get into this game, there's no way he could get into a revanoed roster of ~40, where every character would essentially be a new comer.

Edited by Jotari

I really don't think the next Smash will be a reboot. Sakurai had that choice but gave us what we're getting because he believes it's what the fans want (and he's right). No one - ahem - pretty much no one actually wants a reboot of the series and to see half the roster cut out, and I think its sales would be noticeably worse as a result. There's not really a practical benefit for Nintendo to do that.

16 minutes ago, Florete said:

I really don't think the next Smash will be a reboot. Sakurai had that choice but gave us what we're getting because he believes it's what the fans want (and he's right). No one - ahem - pretty much no one actually wants a reboot of the series and to see half the roster cut out, and I think its sales would be noticeably worse as a result. There's not really a practical benefit for Nintendo to do that.

Count me in on that. I'd honestly be okay with them just building upon Ultimate's engine for the next few games instead of revamping it and losing all the characters and stages we finally gathered together into one game.

Perhaps include longer development cycles if it starts to get out of hand.

19 hours ago, The DanMan said:

It's the day before the game releases, and the source most heavily hinting it is implying there won't be too much shown/little if no gameplay and that it's being done more to sell the season pass.

I guess we'll see in a month.

12 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

God forbid just not selecting them. Don't think you can't be call out just because you're essentially saying "IMHO".

And reboot would just be dumb. What's the point of replacing a gameplay system when there's not much problem to begin with. Why not just use that as another series altogether.

53 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

I guess we'll see in a month.

God forbid just not selecting them. Don't think you can't be call out just because you're essentially saying "IMHO".

And reboot would just be dumb. What's the point of replacing a gameplay system when there's not much problem to begin with. Why not just use that as another series altogether.

An eventual reboot makes sense on two fronts. On the developers front it means a smaller and different work load. The nature of Smash means that each new incarnation must be bigger and better than the previous. They need to keep adding characters and the multi series nature of the series means they can't as easily cut characters as other fighting games. This means each Smash game becomes progressively more difficult to make. Starting again with a new system nullifies that.

The other side is the consumer side. Every time they make a new smash they need to change it in some way to keep it fresh. It's not just new characters, the physics also have to be altered. But for a lot of people this won't be enough. Eventually people will start seeing new smash games as samey and will only buy it based on what new characters are presented. Changing to an entirely new gameplay system will refresh the series and draw in old players who got tired with the same style.

It's hard to say if the next game will be a reboot, but at a certain point the series will slightly under perform and Nintendo will probably order the idea to be imagined in a different light (and then maybe a few decades down the road they'll go back to the old system after it's become classic Smash.).

If we're talking reboots, I would most certainly love 3D battlefields for more interactive stages. It's an I've had that dates back to Brawl and if that were to be the result of said reboot, it'd honestly be a dream come true. 'Course, with that, that'd also mean having to re do everyone's movesets to accommodate such a change

Honestly I kinda feel similarly to@Lord-Zero, though he could’ve been more articulate about it.

None of the additions this time around really struck a chord with me, but I was spoiled with Smash 4 when it added 5 characters I wanted. The Spirits mode is one that I’m very nervous about, especially considering that it’s attached to the story (which is neat it’s returning). I have to tip my hat to Sakurai for putting his blood, sweat, and tears into this game and committing to a roster this huge. However, I’d be lying if I said I had the same intrigue for the game as I did a couple months ago. 

As others said, I expect that when (if?) we get another Smash it’ll likely be brought back back to the basics and worked from the ground up (I’m hesitant to say “roboot”).