Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

14 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Honestly I kinda feel similarly to@Lord-Zero, though he could’ve been more articulate about it.

None of the additions this time around really struck a chord with me, but I was spoiled with Smash 4 when it added 5 characters I wanted. The Spirits mode is one that I’m very nervous about, especially considering that it’s attached to the story (which is neat it’s returning). I have to tip my hat to Sakurai for putting his blood, sweat, and tears into this game and committing to a roster this huge. However, I’d be lying if I said I had the same intrigue for the game as I did a couple months ago. 

As others said, I expect that when (if?) we get another Smash it’ll likely be brought back back to the basics and worked from the ground up (I’m hesitant to say “roboot”).

Sounds like you just defined what a reboot is.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I prefer the roster as large as it is. I'd rather not see characters get cut unless their movesets are meta-breakers and even then, that's the moveset. It feels more like a personal vendetta to want to "trim the fat" other than just play who you want.

If we do get a reboot in the future, I'd be okay with "trimming the fat" if that came with a change of design philosophy.

For example, if the inputs for moves change or we get additional moves, the effort involved in retrofitting every character to the new system may not be worth the effort and would come at the cost of a larger potential roster of new characters. 

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Sounds like you just defined what a reboot is.

Perhaps I did. What I meant to say was it’ll likely be a “soft” reboot rather than a radical one.

8 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

God forbid just not selecting them. Don't think you can't be call out just because you're essentially saying "IMHO".

And reboot would just be dumb. What's the point of replacing a gameplay system when there's not much problem to begin with. Why not just use that as another series altogether.

I’m a rather petty person so there’s that. I know I have a very different opinion so I knew I was going to get crap from some people. A reboot next time is pretty much inevitable at this point. Just getting the rights for all the playable characters in Ultimate must’ve been a nightmare. Sakurai himself started that this pretty much a one-time thing.

@SilvertheShadow I’m just terrible with words. I try to be as truthful as possible even if it comes off as rude or blunt to others. 

To avoid the problem of Smash Bros. games feeling "samey" without a reboot, I'd rather they just increase the gaps between main titles and start branching off into side-games under the same Smash Bros. franchise.

Like, say, a 3D fighter with a significantly smaller roster released between Smash Ultimate and Smash 6, or a completely different genre such as a singleplayer RPG, to diversify Smash's portfolio and draw attention away from the main titles basically being "the previous game but with more fighters and stages".

19 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

To avoid the problem of Smash Bros. games feeling "samey" without a reboot, I'd rather they just increase the gaps between main titles and start branching off into side-games under the same Smash Bros. franchise.

Like, say, a 3D fighter with a significantly smaller roster released between Smash Ultimate and Smash 6, or a completely different genre such as a singleplayer RPG, to diversify Smash's portfolio and draw attention away from the main titles basically being "the previous game but with more fighters and stages".

Well if they made a Smash Bros. RPG (which would be awesome) then it would be seen as a reboot. Another thing with the way Nintendo have handled Smash is that people also expect to get one per console. And Nintendo has a vested interest in releasing one per console as it's no doubt a console seller. So the time frame between games can't really be longer than it is already as it would involve skipping a generation. Diversifying the Smash brand would mean that's all the smash we get for a generation. Unless they release a slew of Smash rpg or racing games or something on the off generation that firmly establishes them as sub series.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well if they made a Smash Bros. RPG (which would be awesome) then it would be seen as a reboot. Another thing with the way Nintendo have handled Smash is that people also expect to get one per console. And Nintendo has a vested interest in releasing one per console as it's no doubt a console seller. So the time frame between games can't really be longer than it is already as it would involve skipping a generation. Diversifying the Smash brand would mean that's all the smash we get for a generation. Unless they release a slew of Smash rpg or racing games or something on the off generation that firmly establishes them as sub series.

I sorta do want to see them establish some Smash Bros. sub-series, so I honestly wouldn't mind if the main releases were slowed to every two console generations, or whatever it winds up being.

Of course, the two aren't exclusive. Smash could continue as it always does while a separate team handles any spinoffs.

27 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

I sorta do want to see them establish some Smash Bros. sub-series, so I honestly wouldn't mind if the main releases were slowed to every two console generations, or whatever it winds up being.

Of course, the two aren't exclusive. Smash could continue as it always does while a separate team handles any spinoffs.

I would not object to that idea either. Why make Mario Bros. the spin off king when you can just pile all of your series together?

Branching off into other genres would certainly be cool. Personally, after five fighting games, I would do want to see something else for a change out of the whole premise of Nintendo mass-crossovers. Brawl's SSE was at least something out of formula, mixing up platforming elements, so something like that but as the whole game.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Branching off into other genres would certainly be cool. Personally, after five fighting games, I would do want to see something else for a change out of the whole premise of Nintendo mass-crossovers. Brawl's SSE was at least something out of formula, mixing up platforming elements, so something like that but as the whole game.

Now that I can get behind, but I feel as though if it were to use the same physics engine as regular Smash Bros., people would be asking why they can battle enemies but not each other.

It may work better as a full-price DLC add-on to a main Smash title, similar to New Super Luigi U or Torna: The Golden Country.

2 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Now that I can get behind, but I feel as though if it were to use the same physics engine as regular Smash Bros., people would be asking why they can battle enemies but not each other.

It may work better as a full-price DLC add-on to a main Smash title, similar to New Super Luigi U or Torna: The Golden Country.

Or just a proper side scrolling game with a modified engine specifically for side scrolling. Because SSE was pretty wonky with it's controls, most particularly the fact that it still used the % damage system which made getting KO'd weirdly easy and difficult at the same time.

55 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Basically something along the lines of a Smash version of Mario Kart, sports games and so on? It could work. 

1 hour ago, Lord-Zero said:

Basically something along the lines of a Smash version of Mario Kart, sports games and so on? It could work. 

Probably, (also sorry for snapping at you earlier).

I’d love to see spin offs in all varieties, could you imagine Ganondorf and Link playing actual tennis for one.

3 hours ago, Ashen Jedi said:

I’d love to see spin offs in all varieties, could you imagine Ganondorf and Link playing actual tennis for one.

It’s okay. Roster stuff can be a touchy subject. 

Well, they kinda started doing crossover stuff since the original Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U so I could see it being expanded to a degree for the next one. Perhaps it could extend to the other Mario sports games.

Game & Watch looks completely reworked for ultimate, and not just in terms of aesthetics. His U-air is a Mega Man style projectile rather than a melee attack with a goofy windbox. His Dsmash will bury now, though it seems to require proper spacing. F-Air is completely new, instead of a box he drops a bomb in front of him, and it becomes a projectile falling to the ground if you miss the initial strike. It's cool that he has projectiles with unique angles like that, rather than relying on Chef's random trajectory and distance. He's definitely a more mid ranged character with these changes, and that fits his floaty movement much better. Also, I didn't discover this one, but if you pause on the frame before this match begins, a tip tells us that his Bucket will now reflect projectiles that it cannot absorb. That's neat. No need to keep a mental list of absorb able projectiles in your head.

14 hours ago, Ashen Jedi said:

The Legend of Link: Ace Attorney

"Does the defense have a closing statement?"

"Hyahhhh!!! Gwahhhhh!!!"

Edited by Etheus

18 minutes ago, Ashen Jedi said:

4 Pro Smashers thoughts combined here 

As i've said before, I'm really liking what i'm seeing from Shulk here. G;ad to see that Zelda might finally be viable for once.

Do wonder why Ryu and Ken are on opposite sides of the (same) tier though.

Like 7 out of my top 10 favourites who I planned to use frequently/main (Pikachu, Marth, Lucina, Mewtwo, Roy, Sonic, Ike, Link, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff) are considered very strong or above?

I'm' truly blessed.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As i've said before, I'm really liking what i'm seeing from Shulk here. G;ad to see that Zelda might finally be viable for once.

Do wonder why Ryu and Ken are on opposite sides of the (same) tier though.

Ryu kills way earlier. Sounds like he overall has better options too.

Edited by Ashen Jedi

Marth looking to be top tier? All is right in the world.

Anyways. I would love to see Nintendo do more gigantic crossovers with their franchises. Mario Kart 8 started doing that, with Link, the Inklings, Villager and Isabelle being DLC (base game in Deluxe), so it's something. It's disgusting that they never added Captain Falcon, hahah. If they're not making a new F-Zero, just toss him in Mario Kart.

I'd love to see a grand scale RPG, along the lines of the Subspace Emissary, just with dungeon crawling and full interactions. It'd be glorious, it'd be a hit, it'd be pure fanservice, and probably game of the year, hahah.

8 hours ago, Etheus said:

The Legend of Link: Ace Attorney

"Does the defense have a closing statement?"

"Hyahhhh!!! Gwahhhhh!!!"

Instead of "Hold it!" it will be "Hey listen!"