Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:26 PM, Lord-Zero said:

Just getting the rights for all the playable characters in Ultimate must’ve been a nightmare

Let's see shall we?

• The vast majority of the characters are owned by Nintendo, so there's no problems there.
  • The game development is being assisted by Bandai Namco, so Pac-Man shouldn't be much of an issue.
  • Bayonetta is practically a Nintendo character at this point.
  • Both Sega and Capcom are on good terms with Nintendo.
  • Konami don't really care about their IP's nowadays, given that all they do with them is put them on pachinko machines.

Literally, the only problems lie with Square and their stinginess.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Wait, Pichu is not at the bottom?

Did I miss something about his changes...?

I think it's probably cuz Pikachu is rated so high, and Pichu is similar enough or something

5 hours ago, NoirCore said:

It's not the actual tier list. There's no way to judge when the game hasn't been release

5 hours ago, NoirCore said:

Even with Pichu's silly self-damage, it's still a derivative of god-tier Pikachu.

Sorta like a more extreme version of how Lucina's in the top tier. A slightly-inferior Marth is still superior to a lot of things, and a very-inferior Pikachu is still superior to a few things.

Pichu wasn't even the bottommost character back in Melee. That dubious honor went to Kirby.

Edited by Anomalocaris

6 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

It's not the actual tier list. There's no way to judge when the game hasn't been release

Of course; I was just surprised that the four Smash players' tier lists combined have Pichu decently high, but if Pichu's based off a character these guys rank at the top, then it makes sense.

I've got mixed feelings about this pseudo-tier list. It's got a lot of characters I was really looking forward to playing as on both the top and the bottom of the scale so I'm both super happy about my favorite characters and super bummed about my... favorite characters. I'll just have to wait and see what happens on launch day.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

1 hour ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I've got mixed feelings about this pseudo-tier list. It's got a lot of characters I was really looking forward to playing as on both the top and the bottom of the scale so I'm both super happy about my favorite characters and super bummed about my... favorite characters. I'll just have to wait and see what happens on launch day.

Important to note it’s before release so it’s not going to hold very much water in a few months.

Hey now, nobody likes their mains being called bottom tier trash. Least of all before the game is out. But take heart in knowing nobody has had more than a half hour with two thirds of the roster so it's all just loose speculation. Unscripted youtube videos. The kind where character analysis typically begins with "I haven't played _____ but". Or at least that's how it seems to go when people send me time stamps of those videos in place of their own thoughts. Me and my friend's mains are bottoming out nearly every tier list but we got to play Bowser, Kirby, Little Mac, they felt excellent to us.

40 minutes ago, Slumber said:

General consensus seems to be that K. Rool is very good.

Yes. Yes.

Yeah dude, he looks pretty great. I honestly agree from what I've seen.

Just now, Ashen Jedi said:

Yeah dude, he looks pretty great. I honestly agree from what I've seen.

He looked like he had a lot of potential from his gameplay trailer, but sometimes looks can be deceiving. Sometimes characters who look like they have a lot of stuff going on in tailored trailers don't always end up that way in the hands of players.

Thankfully it seems like the trailer was actually indicative of the stuff he can do. He's the character I'm most looking forward to, so it seems like I won't have to worry about his style and moveset being broken or having huge holes in it.

1 hour ago, Ashen Jedi said:

Important to note it’s before release so it’s not going to hold very much water in a few months.

Well I wasn't actually putting much water in it, but if I did it would have been a weird situation to be in so I though it was something fun to share. I'm not worried at all, this game is going to be amazing.

1 hour ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Well I wasn't actually putting much water in it, but if I did it would have been a weird situation to be in so I though it was something fun to share. I'm not worried at all, this game is going to be amazing.

Haha, just figured i'd say, it's fun to look at and speculate with of course, and who knows it might be on the money, but yeah everyone legit looks super fun to play as.

11 hours ago, NoirCore said:

Of course; I was just surprised that the four Smash players' tier lists combined have Pichu decently high, but if Pichu's based off a character these guys rank at the top, then it makes sense.

If anyone going make a good estimation, it's them. Although when the game does finally come out & try them out on the lab, don't be too surprise on how different the list is compare now & then. I still remember how tourney players felt about Chun-Li back in MVC 3

1 hour ago, Anomalocaris said:

Remember back in Smash 4's prerelease phase when people were saying Samus looked buffed to top tier? Yeah...

Nah, that was Sakurai making that claim on behalf of his balance team at the E3 2014 invitational. They felt that Samus was the strongest in that build. I remember in interviews with the invited players they said "yeah, we didn't think Samus was that good, that's why nobody chose her". In terms of Smash 4 competitive, the most apt example is probably Yoshi who was considered by many to be a top tier contender alongside Rosalina during pre- Wii U months. But the reason why that placement was bunk was because Smash 4 had soooo few veteran players from Brawl, so they were unaware of how good defensive options were compared to Melee. Yoshi also looked promising because his great air speed made up for the lack of C stick on 3DS, and he was a very buggy character on release, and nobody was sure patches would be on the way to fix stuff like that. However, there weren't any tier lists for Smash 4 that anybody considered "official" until 2016. Before then it was just individual player rankings that were often all over the place besides the top five or so fighters.

If I remember correctly, there was a ton of doom and gloom over Fox and Diddy Kong who had such visible nerfs from Brawl, but they steadily rose back up over time as more people picked them back up. Plenty of that regarding veteran characters in the transition to Ultimate, and some of it has been deeply exaggerated over the facts...

Edited by Glennstavos

52 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Nah, that was Sakurai making that claim on behalf of his balance team at the E3 2014 invitational. They felt that Samus was the strongest in that build.

I always wondered if it was actually Zero Suit Samus who the testers felt was the strongest and the announcers at the invitational simply got it wrong.

From demos, we weren't really sure if Roy had an English voice and while we thought he did, we didn't know for sure. Until now

https://mobile.twitter.com/CustomUltimate/status/1061624168343617536

https://mobile.twitter.com/CustomUltimate/status/1061624563354734592

https://mobile.twitter.com/CustomUltimate/status/1061626301130424321

First link is a taunt, the other two are victory quotes.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

From demos, we weren't really sure if Roy had an English voice and while we thought he did, we didn't know for sure. Until now

https://mobile.twitter.com/CustomUltimate/status/1061624168343617536

https://mobile.twitter.com/CustomUltimate/status/1061624563354734592

https://mobile.twitter.com/CustomUltimate/status/1061626301130424321

First link is a taunt, the other two are victory quotes.

I'm glad the option's now available. Now, if only Square would allow Cloud into the mix.

Love the new ad, just another daily reminder that this game is going to be something special no doubt about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Roy's English voice is still Ray Chase, dude's got pretty wide vocal range from what I've heard of him.

My god, I wish this game would come out already. Jam-packed with so much stuff...

As awesome as having every character back is, I feel like we're all sorta sleeping on the fact that we've got 103 stages with almost every stage in Smash Bros. history returning. Long multiplayer sessions just got a lot more varied.

DrpuklyV4AE4DNA.jpg

Potential competitive stage list (hazards off).

I'm disappointed that many are banning 3/4ths of the stages but it's still a massive improvement over the horrendous stage lists of previous games. We have a potential 26 stages to choose from here.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

The banner coming to life is the coolest thing ever.

I love how at 0:23 you can see K. Rool flying off in the background, and he's in the exact same pose, only with his cape moving.