Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

I don't doubt that there will be more DLC outside of what they announced in the expansion pass, but it's hard to say what it will be. However, I think Nintendo should try to avoid repeating what they did with smash 4 because the cost for all that DLC was insane, yes you don't have to buy all of it, but that doesn't change the fact that the pricing was bonkers.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I don't doubt that there will be more DLC outside of what they announced in the expansion pass, but it's hard to say what it will be. However, I think Nintendo should try to avoid repeating what they did with smash 4 because the cost for all that DLC was insane, yes you don't have to buy all of it, but that doesn't change the fact that the pricing was bonkers.

Still relatively tame compared to most other companies, but I don’t see them decreasing that price if there’s more.

This is Nintendo after all gotta make bank and never give discounts.

I'm not into competitive Smash at all, but I've watched som Melee, and I'm amazed at how much better the game looks when the visual effects aren't so massive and seizure-inducing. Ultimate seems like such an amazing game but I can't get over the huge puffs of smoke and other jarring effects that pop out from the fighters' smallest movements. I'm afraid it'll hurt my eyes if I play for an extended period of time and therefore get in the way of my enjoyment of the game.

Edited by Thane

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

I'm not into competitive Smash at all, but I've watched som Melee, and I'm amazed at how much better the game looks when the visual effects aren't so massive and seizure-inducing. Ultimate seems like such an amazing game but I can't get over the huge puffs of smoke and other jarring effects that pop out from the fighters' smallest movements. I'm afraid it'll hurt my eyes if I play for an extended period of time and therefore get in the way of my enjoyment of the game.

If the special effects do start causing problems I'm sure Nintendo would be willing to issue a patch that tones them down, but I understand why they are the way they are though. Having a strong sense of spectacle in a fighting game is a good way to push sales with the casual gaming audience that wouldn't normally play those sorts of games. Attention always goes to the person who is yelling the loudest, that's just how the world works.

1 hour ago, TheGoodHoms said:

If the special effects do start causing problems I'm sure Nintendo would be willing to issue a patch that tones them down, but I understand why they are the way they are though. Having a strong sense of spectacle in a fighting game is a good way to push sales with the casual gaming audience that wouldn't normally play those sorts of games. Attention always goes to the person who is yelling the loudest, that's just how the world works.

That, and the exaggerated special effects help blend the various characters to fit the smash bros tone. Metroid and Mario couldn't be more thematically different but we're okay seeing them together because the shared effects establish that the characters are running on the same rules. Also that last sentence of yours makes me die a little on the inside. :omnomtangerine:

Being able to tone down the smoke like you can toggle the offstage radar and score counter wouldn't go unappreciated. I just think it's very ill suited to 1v1 matches. For a free for all, it may make players more aware of where their character went after disappearing in the fray, but I can't confidently say it accomplishes that much since the color coding on the smoke is way too discrete. The shades need to be darker since they correspond with your player number. And in a 1v1 setting it's an answer to a non-issue. You either hit the other guy or they hit you, it's two possibilities in a 1v1. Furthermore, from what I've seen, if somebody gets launched directly upward, then, thanks to the new "balloon" knockback, the smoke continues rising after they stop, obscuring that character from view. That's a big deal when you're jumping up for a followup. They could be in an air dodge and you wouldn't see it in time to respond with another attack. 

Smoke is not a deal breaker to me, but it's obstructive qualities and shortcomings compared to previous games (smoke was even in Smash 64!) should be readily apparent, and I'm surprised they announced the radar and score count toggles which have so much less potential for causing problems. 

I think the smoke effect is too much. It's the kind of thing that I know will confuse friends of mine who aren't used to how Smash flows. "I can't tell what's going on" is a main reason I can't get some people to try certain games, no matter how well crafted everything else is. If they really want to show people who launched a character, they don't have to have a giant smoke cloud that obscures everything else, coulda just been a faint trail of some kind, like with an actual shooting star.

23 minutes ago, Dai said:

Wasn’t the smoke implemented because the streaks of light were considered to be too hard to see for some players?

That's what I've heard too, though I can't understand why anyone needs to know at a glance who launched a character when the game tells you who gets credit for the KO. I personally would have to stop and think about which color corresponds to which player cuz that kind of thing can change regularly.

Edited by Johann

11 minutes ago, Johann said:

That's what I've heard too, though I can't understand why anyone needs to know at a glance who launched a character when the game tells you who gets credit for the KO. I personally would have to stop and think about which color corresponds to which player cuz that kind of thing can change regularly.

I figured the smoke was more to directly tell you where you were launched.

25 minutes ago, Dai said:

I figured the smoke was more to directly tell you where you were launched.

Oh, you mean like "shit where am I?" sort of thing? That makes more sense. I still think there are ways they could have done that without potentially obscuring parts of the battlefield and other players, or at least I hope they let us turn it off.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

Oh, you mean like "shit where am I?" sort of thing? That makes more sense. I still think there are ways they could have done that without potentially obscuring parts of the battlefield and other players, or at least I hope they let us turn it off.

I find it rather unlikely. From what I’ve seen recently, the smoke barely lasts a second, so I figure it won’t really matter much unless complaints about it start to pile up.

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

If anyone is curious here are the confirmed spirits so far. Fire Emblem is getting a surprising about of love. I never imagined we'd see Lyon as a spirit.  I noticed a disturbing lack of Hades though. 

Fire Emblem is the series with like eight characters. I dont think a large amount of love it all that surprising.

GameXplain forgot Rex and Naked Snake I think, most likely amongst others. But I wonder just how many Spirits there will be.

10 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Palutena's guidance is back! That's great! Buuuut lots of them are reused from the Smash Wii-u version....that's not so great.

Source

Having some of them be reused is better than not having them at all I suppose. Ridley's guidance already says RIDLEY CONFIRMED so I wonder if Pit will also mention something about him being too big.

21 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Palutena's guidance is back! That's great! Buuuut lots of them are reused from the Smash Wii-u version....that's not so great.

I really hope they don't reuse the generic DLC Palutena's Guidance convos for the upcoming DLC characters. That would honestly suck.

17 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

GameXplain forgot Rex and Naked Snake I think, most likely amongst others. But I wonder just how many Spirits there will be.

Source

Having some of them be reused is better than not having them at all I suppose. Ridley's guidance already says RIDLEY CONFIRMED so I wonder if Pit will also mention something about him being too big.

I think that would be something more suited for Viridi. Pit's the fanboy who's just happy he gets in while Viridi is the skeptical one and brings up his size. 

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I really hope they don't reuse the generic DLC Palutena's Guidance convos for the upcoming DLC characters. That would honestly suck.

They'll probably give them all unique conversations. New Link got a new guidance so I doubt they'll just leave the old DLC characters in the cold. I think Lucas conversation is going to bring it up how Pit didn't recognize him earlier despite having fought together in Subspace. 

I'm seeing a lot of exciting stuff going on in all these videos, I just keep finding more and more things that get me even more excited for this game.

And make the wait for it that much harder.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

53 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I'm seeing a lot of exiting stuff going on in all these videos, I just keep finding more and more things that get me even more exited for this game.

And make the wait for it that much harder.

Exciting, and excited. Forgot the c's there.

I can scarce believe there's little more than two weeks left.

1 hour ago, Ashen Jedi said:

Also seems like the character changes the end boss, Mario ends with Giga Bowser, Wolf with Galeem etc.

Wolf ends with Galleom, from Brawl. Galeem is the World of Light boss.

Edited by Florete

33 minutes ago, Ashen Jedi said:

Also seems like the character changes the end boss, Mario ends with Giga Bowser, Wolf with Galeem etc.

I can't wait to see who Pit faces and really hopes its Hades. 

Considering we already have an old subspace boss I think its pretty likely that the Earthbound boys will have Porkey as their boss. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor