Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Florete said:

Wold ends with Galleom, from Brawl. Galeem is the World of Light boss.

Thanks haha I’m getting the names mixed up already x.x

Nairo 40 facts 

Edited by Ashen Jedi

While I'm glad Chrom is in, I do feel really bad for that recovery. Seems almost like they decided to punish him in order to allow him into the game. Although, walk-off stages won't matter too much for casual play, at least.

Just now, Dai said:

While I'm glad Chrom is in, I do feel really bad for that recovery. Seems almost like they decided to punish him in order to allow him into the game. Although, walk-off stages won't matter too much for casual play, at least.

I feel more bad for Robin atm, so many unneeded nerfs, including only a 5 use Elwind.

Just now, Anomalocaris said:

Robin at least doesn't have two-ton weights in his shoes anymore.

He tried to take training advice from Goku. It seems to have had mixed results.

Yeah Arc Thunder makes a lot more sense now. Previously I had spotted that the animation's endlag had been reduced significantly. Why would they do that, I thought. Now it makes sense - the move traps the victim for far less time. Guess they were a bit bothered Thoron wasn't the obvious best version of thunder. But I wonder if Thoron extension is still in the game when you hold the button?

Anyway, now that I've had some time to cool off, it seems Race to the Finish is not one of several potential Bonus Stages that can appear. Well, at least one type of Bonus stage survived the Exodus. There had better be a Boss Rush at least, right? Probably something you unlock after completing World of Light.

So not only does FF still only have 2 songs in Smash but there are also zero FF Spirits. Absolutely pathetic but completely unsurprising.

Unless more of it is unlocked through the shop, which i hope so.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So not only does FF still only have 2 songs in Smash but there are also zero FF Spirits. Absolutely pathetic but completely unsurprising.

Unless more of it is unlocked through the shop, which i hope so.

I still find it hilarious that Konami has had a better representation in this game than Square does. I really can't fathom why Square would want to be stingy with Super Smash Brothers.

15 minutes ago, Dai said:

I still find it hilarious that Konami has had a better representation in this game than Square does. I really can't fathom why Square would want to be stingy with Super Smash Brothers.

It's both hilarious and sad. Konami doesn't give a shit about their own IPs anymore but look at the sheer amount of Castlevania content we have. Meanwhile, Square keeps wanting their flagship franchise to be horrendously underrepresented in the biggest video game crossover fighter for some reason.

Stuff like this honestly makes me doubt Vergeben's claims that we'll get another Square rep. Yes, i know he guessed nearly every newcomer right but DLC hasn't even been started yet and if Square can't be bothered to allow their flagship series to be properly represented, then what chance does any other Square IP have at having a character in Smash?

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

It's both hilarious and sad. Konami doesn't give a shit about their own IPs anymore but look at the sheer amount of Castlevania content we have. Meanwhile, Square keeps wanting their flagship franchise to be horrendously underrepresented in the biggest video game crossover fighter for some reason.

Stuff like this honestly makes me doubt Vergeben's claims that we'll get another Square rep. Yes, i know he guessed nearly every newcomer right but DLC hasn't even been started yet and if Square can't be bothered to allow their flagship series to be properly represented, then what chance does any other Square IP have at having a character in Smash?

Assume he is right. We'll probably get the same amount of treatment for Cloud for any newcomer from Square. Which...again, is baffling.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Perhaps it could be a case of Squire overvaluing their IP's while Konami is willing to whore out itself cheaply because they stopped caring about any of their IP's. Squire has some reason to feel arrogant about Final Fantasy even if its mostly past glory at this point. 

17 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Perhaps it could be a case of Squire overvaluing their IP's while Konami is willing to whore out itself cheaply because they stopped caring about any of their IP's. Squire has some reason to feel arrogant about Final Fantasy even if its mostly past glory at this point. 

I could maybe understand that for DLC. Like...yeah, Cloud's in, you finally have him, neat, but you're only getting him and not much else. Now, it's like...he's base game, and he feels tacked on. It's...sad, really.

Like...as a character, I love Cloud, and he plays great in this game to me. But the fact that everything else about this feels lazy, just...it sucks all the enjoyment out of his addition.

Edited by Dai

So does anyone have any news on Viridi's voice actress? She sounds really different but I heard a good number of people say its still the same voice actor. 

Whatever it is I'm not really a fan of the change. I'll guess the new voice will grow on me eventually but it feels like a step down. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

So does anyone have any news on Viridi's voice actress? She sounds really different but I heard a good number of people say its still the same voice actor. 

Whatever it is I'm not really a fan of the change. I'll guess the new voice will grow on me eventually but it feels like a step down. 

If it is the same, Hynden may simply be out of practice can't believe Viridi and Starfire have the same voice actress, but if it's not the same VA, then it may be that Hynden is a part of a union, and Nintendo seems to be avoiding using those.

The absence of Final Fantasy content is strange considering all the other things Final Fantasy crossed over with, including the best worst sidequest in history, but maybe there's a difference between product placement and participating in a crossover. Konami meanwhile doesn't care about anything so they just let Sakurai do whatever he wants with their properties.

Pac-Man doesn't really have many Spirits either (which is ironic because Namco is making the game), but that might be because Pac-Man doesn't have many characters to feature to begin with.

4 minutes ago, Dai said:

If it is the same, Hynden may simply be out of practice can't believe Viridi and Starfire have the same voice actress, but if it's not the same VA, then it may be that Hynden is a part of a union, and Nintendo seems to be avoiding using those.

Walch went uncredited last game, as did Antony Del Rio who is still in Ultimate, so maybe she was unable or unwilling to come back this time.

Edited by Lightchao42

54 minutes ago, Dai said:

Assume he is right. We'll probably get the same amount of treatment for Cloud for any newcomer from Square. Which...again, is baffling.

That would honestly suck. 

Though that does make me wonder if every DLC newcomer will come with the same amount of music or if it varies.

35 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

To me, it sounds like she's in a cave. But yeah, her new voice is a yikes from me.

26 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Pac-Man doesn't really have many Spirits either (which is ironic because Namco is making the game), but that might be because Pac-Man doesn't have many characters to feature to begin with.

I mean, aside from Pac-Man, Mrs. Pac-Man and the ghosts, is there really anyone else?

3 minutes ago, Ashen Jedi said:

If DQ gets a character I'd be amazed if we got even 1 music track considering it's composer is even more of a tight ass than most SE folks

I heard about that. Apparently, Dragon Quest 11's soundtrack was relegated to Midi in the actual product, whereas the orchestrated soundtrack was locked to having to be purchased separately just for that reason.

I had a thought: the entire roster (except Kirby) basically got one-hit KO'd by Galeem, and it looks like Galeem will inevitably be the final boss of World of Light. Tabuu was far weaker than Galeem, and they still had to explain us standing a fighting chance by having Sonic surprise attack Tabuu and break his wings; crippling his main attack. How are they going to explain us being able to oppose Galeem?!

I hope it's something awesome and not something random and completely out of nowhere (cough Sonic and Tabuu cough). 

8 hours ago, Florete said:

Wn0I1GV.jpg

That's female Corrin. I don't think I've ever seen an alt used in official artwork of this capacity. Pretty nice.

Female!Corrin is significantly more popular than Male!Corrin. There's no reason he should even remain the default (assuming he even is).

6 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I had a thought: the entire roster (except Kirby) basically got one-hit KO'd by Galeem, and it looks like Galeem will inevitably be the final boss of World of Light. Tabuu was far weaker than Galeem, and they still had to explain us standing a fighting chance by having Sonic surprise attack Tabuu and break his wings; crippling his main attack. How are they going to explain us being able to oppose Galeem?!

I hope it's something awesome and not something random and completely out of nowhere (cough Sonic and Tabuu cough). 

His one-hit KO involved absorbing over 700 Master Hands-I doubt he'll have that on hand so easily next time.

Viridi's voice change was immediately noticeable for me, and unwelcome. I wonder if there was a redub of all her lines for returning guidance conversations? People tend to watch these in bulk, so they wouldn't help but notice the change between new and old conversations. There are returning conversations right? I haven't seen any examples yet.

10 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I'm just planning on throwing him offstage and D-air spiking him for the KO. And a taunt for some added spice.

Edited by Glennstavos