Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's possible yes, but Brad Pitt happened to have been in Smash 4 with his differing Final Smash. So while he has been turned now into an Echo, he wasn't exactly beforehand. Daisy and other new characters will be Echoes from the get go, there won't have anything unique to lazily pass on to them.

He was originally going to be a costume that just happened to get some characteristics on its own. Which already is extra voice lines, unique animations (Daisy has quite a few despite sharing her kit with Peach.)

Dont make your own rules for how Echoes will be because we don't know yet.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

He was originally going to be a costume that just happened to get some characteristics on its own. Which already is extra voice lines, unique animations (Daisy has quite a few despite sharing her kit with Peach.)

Dont make your own rules for how Echoes will be because we don't know yet.

Oh I'm not. I was simply pointing out DP is not a perfect piece of evidence to use. He neither confirms nor denies how the new Echo Fighters will play out. I was taking the more cynical avenue in the last sentence there, but it doesn't have to be so.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Do we even know if Echo Fighters will be getting alternate Final Smashes? Seems like a lot of work for a more detailed glorified palette swap. I'm going to severely doubt it until the contrary.

It’s a big possibility. What really puzzles me is Peach and Daisy’s Final Smash. It’s very obvious that Peach will get a new Final Smash, and depending on what it is, Daisy might have a different one if Peach’s Final Smash doesn’t fit her. I mean, I think the reason Dark Pit got a different Final Smash is because Pit’s didn’t fit him, while Marth and Lucina have the same Final Smash because it fits both of them.

I can't see Daisy's Final Smash healing anyone but herself - she's much more...what's the word...out-going, than Peach. A really spiffy, energetic FS would be better. Maybe whipping up a sandstorm, I mean, isn't her kingdom in the desert?

I've banged on about this before but my god, Marth's render is A++. Also, being able to angle Shield Breaker...oh, I can see it now~

If we do get a character reveal this month...then I hope it's Bandana Dee. I was a huge supporter of him back during the Smash 4 days - I was part of a club for him on Smashboards, hahah - and I still am.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's possible yes, but Brad Pitt happened to have been in Smash 4 with his differing Final Smash. So while he has been turned now into an Echo, he wasn't exactly beforehand. Daisy and other new characters will be Echoes from the get go, there won't have anything unique to lazily pass on to them.

Dark Pit was always an Echo Fighter. They might have only named the idea recently, but the concept of clone characters have been in the game since the very beginning.

2 hours ago, Lau said:

If we do get a character reveal this month...then I hope it's Bandana Dee. I was a huge supporter of him back during the Smash 4 days - I was part of a club for him on Smashboards, hahah - and I still am.

Yeah that would be so cool!! He's so adorable, and I'd love to see a fourth Kirby rep.

44 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Some good Link footage.

I don't know why, but when I saw them pick up their backpacks to leave, I just laughed.

anyways, that was some expert link gameplay, just holy crap, all that was missing was a full 3 stock, those bombs will prove to be annoying I can already tell.

Edit: I kept watching and after link beat ness, they played some ominous music like the villain has won, it was great.

Edit again: then the guy who lost (I think) the tournament looked so uncomfortable while the announcer was talking, this is great.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

Neat to see Ness getting a little edgeguard buff. After playing through Earthbound I do like him more. Sure he is just a generic silent protag, and a copy of Ninten visually, but even so I do find him a bit charming.

What Smash doesn't, and couldn't possibly convey, is how different he is in Earthbound's gameplay. Rather than be the offense PSI/PK master, he is closer to being a Final Fantasy Paladin. He has the most HP and Guts of them all, making him the most durable, and his weapons are the strongest combined with having the highest Str too, while being slow and only having his "Choose your name" PSI technique for direct offense (why is it that Smash still hasn't given it to him?). His primary PSI techniques are all healing, he is the best healer in the game. And yet, given how aesthetically distinct Earthbound is, Ness feels to me to be more special than Cecil ever could be; and I like the disparity between Smash Ness and original Ness.

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Neat to see Ness getting a little edgeguard buff. After playing through Earthbound I do like him more. Sure he is just a generic silent protag, and a copy of Ninten visually, but even so I do find him a bit charming.

What Smash doesn't, and couldn't possibly convey, is how different he is in Earthbound's gameplay. Rather than be the offense PSI/PK master, he is closer to being a Final Fantasy Paladin. He has the most HP and Guts of them all, making him the most durable, and his weapons are the strongest combined with having the highest Str too, while being slow and only having his "Choose your name" PSI technique for direct offense (why is it that Smash still hasn't given it to him?). His primary PSI techniques are all healing, he is the best healer in the game.

Lucas is still missing PK Love, maybe they felt they couldn't translate well to Smash when they were added. 

Also Ness being able to heal is at least shown in PSI Magnet his down B, if he had more healing and his weight was bigger i'm pretty sure people would dislike fighting him even more than they already do. Blatant healing moves also tend to make people very very salty (as seen with Elena in SF4).

33 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Link isn't the only one with new tricks 

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Neat to see Ness getting a little edgeguard buff.

That was actually in Melee as well. Brawl removed his D-Smash's ability to dangle off the edge and Smash 4 got rid of the pre-charge hitbox altogether. So it's great that both the pre-charge hitbox and the ability to dangle off the edge have returned.

26 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Lucas is still missing PK Love, maybe they felt they couldn't translate well to Smash when they were added. 

That is true, skip to 1:19-1:40 on this vid and I think we can understand the issue of making Rockin' PSI (the Japanese default apparently translates as "Fighting Spirit"- excellent for a fighting game) happen in Smash. Just how do you make it real? And without causing another Computer Warrior Porygon fiasco?

Though watching the rest of the video, you'll notice that none of the offensive PSI actually looks the same in Smash. There is no bolt of lighting in PK Fire nor the foe being aflame. At most, Smash borrowed besides the names, elements, and a trace or two or the PSI animation. PK Freeze has something that looks like a snowflake in one of its levels, PK Flash features bright balls, PK Thunder has the squiggles, and PK Starstorrrmmmmm! has a barrage of things pound the enemy.

Smash could feasibly just pick a trait or two of the PSI and then go creative with its own animations from there. PK Love would be even easier since it looks like the animations remain extremely consistent across the levels.

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That was actually in Melee as well. Brawl removed his D-Smash's ability to dangle off the edge and Smash 4 got rid of the pre-charge hitbox altogether. So it's great that both the pre-charge hitbox and the ability to dangle off the edge have returned.

I was just about to say. Soooo did they give him back the Thunder Jacket as well?

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Tbh I totally forgot that because no one uses Ness in Melee. Oops.

11 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Thunder Jacket is an extension of his Yoyo Glitch where he can apply a hitbox from certain moves (like PK Thunder 2) permanently to his body until he physically touches somebody.  This video starts out with two examples

Ah. Yeah, that's probably not coming back.