Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

That is...not how it worked in Smash 4. The victim would crumple straight to the ground. We've already seen odd behavior with prone characters in Ultimate - like how Jab locks reportedly don't work in that build despite the animations for being locked are still in. These two issues might be related somehow. I think people will still try pin cancel now that the lunge kick is so much more punishable in ultimate. Just being able to cancel at will rather than by waiting a fixed amount of time probably leaves this option more viable than it ever was in 4, bug or no bug.

But if the victim could mash jab or grab there might not be anything Corrin can reasonably do to avoid that before he lands. Looks icky but it might not be so punishable in practice. Like how Mewtwo's Side B leaves him in a disadvantaged state against the victim, but the victim is so far away that it leaves both characters on an equal as possible playing field where no option is the definitive risk/reward correct answer. If nothing else Pin Cancel sounds like a clear answer when you don't pin something and need to get back your defensive options quick. Maybe Jump as well if they made that animation not so laggy this time.

Edited by Glennstavos

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, a bit of an explanation/ramble: blog posts seem to have a "hard" internal number, which is seen in the URL for linked image files.

For reference, Final Destination was 132 and Alolan Exeggutor was 133: https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/blog/index.html (check the blog and the image URLs for yourself, since posting the URLs here automatically displays the image in the post)

The Japanese blog gets exclusive memory posts, where sometimes they look back at a character's debut game. After Alolan Exeggutor (133) we got Bowser yesterday and then Toon Link today, with the Japanese blog having a memories post for Toon Link.

...But it was numbered 139. Counting back, that would make TL 138 and Bowser 137. Meaning blog posts 134-136 where skipped over.
Meaning the Direct would've had a newcomer reveal with individual posts for their announcement trailer, site gameplay footage, and a memories post.

The image from the Japanese blog, for reference:

139_1.jpg

I noticed the number skip too.

That leaves us with three skipped blog posts where the Thursday Direct was scheduled. If I had to guess, the first two would have been a newcomer reveal trailer and their associated gameplay snippet respectively. Third post was likely another Japanese memory post, but if not it could have been an Echo Fighter, Assist Trophy, or some other item shown off in the same reveal.

Incidentally, as long as we're talking skipped posts, post 120 was also skipped, back in the aftermath of the August Direct. If I had to guess, they planned to reveal something during the August Direct but it wasn't finished in time.

With the somewhat recent news that Ultimate's newcomer will be mostly base on the Ballot, I'm trying to figure out what the odds of having a Xenoblade rep.

Rex specifically seems to be not only the most requested character for Xenoblade series but one of the most popular requests overall. Impressive, considering the game came out nearly over 9 months ago, but there's no way Rex could eve rank in the Ballot at all . On top of that, I found out Xenoblade X came out roughly when the last DLC for Smash 4. I don't know when Smash Ultimate development started but from what I can tell a Xenoblade rep is a lot more slimmer than I would have thought.

Oh my God, they did the impossible. They made an actually good Pikmin song.

45 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

On top of that, I found out Xenoblade X came out roughly when the last DLC for Smash 4

In America/Europe. Xenoblade X released in Japan in April 2015, a good few months before the Ballot ended and before Ultimate started development.

So to continue the interesting point about blog numbering, the above Pikmin song is associated with the number 146 in the site's source code, skipping quite a few numbers; this suggests that it was intended for next week's music, not this week's music.

Which furthermore suggests that Thursday's Direct was going to include a new music track to accompany the newcomer, which would have been posted today instead of Pikmin.

Edited by Anomalocaris

13 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

So to continue the interesting point about blog numbering, the above Pikmin song is associated with the number 146 in the site's source code, skipping quite a few numbers; this suggests that it was intended for next week's music, not this week's music.

Which furthermore suggests that Thursday's Direct was going to include a new music track to accompany the newcomer, which would have been posted today instead of Pikmin.

At any rate, we'll find out tomorrow. Multiple sources suggest the Direct will air on Thursday and Nintendo typically announces Directs the day before.

54 minutes ago, Armagon said:

In America/Europe. Xenoblade X released in Japan in April 2015, a good few months before the Ballot ended and before Ultimate started development.

But that's around when the Ballot was officially announce not when the Ballot closed. Wouldn't that just mean Elma's entire inclusion is base on domestic votes then?

5 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

But that's around when the Ballot was officially announce not when the Ballot closed. Wouldn't that just mean Elma's entire inclusion is base on domestic votes then?

Probably. Then again, not every fighter is being picked from the Ballot and even popular picks aren't garuanteed a playable spot, i mean, look at Shovel Knight and Zero.

19 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Zero was a popular pick?

I'm really out of the loop

I mean, i never saw him in those unofficial "top 10 Ballot characters" lists but he is one of the most popular Mega Man characters so i imagine he had a decently high spot on the ballot.

39 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Zero was a popular pick?

I'm really out of the loop

I’m not the only one questioning this too. Zero already has a decent home in Marvel vs Capcom, though with how poorly Infinite turned out, I wouldn’t be shocked if people wanted him to jump ship to Smash. Looks like he’ll just stop by for a visit for now as an AT.

22 hours ago, Armagon said:

I mean, i never saw him in those unofficial "top 10 Ballot characters" lists but he is one of the most popular Mega Man characters so i imagine he had a decently high spot on the ballot.

Isn't kinda like saying Nightmare (Soul Calibur not Kirby) is one of the most popular characters but he wasn't on the top 10? I'm only responding so I can have the last word, I'm petty like that. It must be true the mods said so.

22 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

I’m not the only one questioning this too. Zero already has a decent home in Marvel vs Capcom, though with how poorly Infinite turned out, I wouldn’t be shocked if people wanted him to jump ship to Smash. Looks like he’ll just stop by for a visit for now as an AT.

Why does everyone gotta bring up Infinite? It's not even as crapstatic everyone makes it out to be. It just a dumb & stupid game that's it.

19 hours ago, Jedi said:

As someone who voted for Zero I’m happy that he’s in the game at all. Even if it’s just as an AT.

You voted for just Zero only? I wish I voted in ballot, I just didn't think my vote matter. Just like whenever there's an election.

Edited by Zangetsu

I voted for Roy in the Ballot, and he was revealed like...a week later, hahah.

I do think the skipped number theory is very compelling. I'm convinced that we were going to get a newcomer in the direct. Maybe an Echo too? 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I hope the direct is announced soon, the Smash subreddit is going crazy.

I voted for Bayonetta in the ballot. But I heard later you could vote every day? whoops. All that time narrowing it down to one character wasted. The only other characters I explicitly remember considering were Shantae and Solid Snake.

7 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Why does everyone gotta bring up Infinite? It's not even as crapstatic everyone makes it out to be. It just a dumb & stupid game that's it.

Yeah, especially since it sounds like Capcom cut their losses with that game less than a year in. No more updates, just wait until it's long enough to release a Marvel vs Capcom Infinite Uncanny Edition. I was hyped to play that game this year but now I gotta wait for news of a re-release because the rumors just won't stop and I don't want to look like a chump.

9 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

You voted for just Zero only? I wish I voted in ballot, I just think my vote matter. Just like whenever there's an election.

Yeah I only voted once and he was the one I really wanted at the time. I’ve been mostly satisfied with the roster since Brawl.

Richter Belmont was a surprise I never thought I’d get and now I’m gunning for Shadow.

i’d go for Falcom characters but I know they have no chance and there’s not a point in supporting impossibilities like Ys or Kiseki characters.

My vote was for Daisy! And of course, she's in now. :D

I hope Dixie Kong is announced in the Direct tomorrow. Though I won't get my hopes up too high since there's like a number of characters that could be announced, if any do at all.

I abused VPNs and private browsing to put in way too many votes for Wolf. Probably didn't help his chances, but it's the thought that counted.

Anyways, may as well fire this out: I'm expecting either a Pokemon or Xenoblade character tomorrow. We're probably only going to get one character and maybe an Echo due to it being a normal Direct. Honestly just hoping against hope that we'll get 3 Houses info.

I voted for Shadow twice. Back then I wasn’t into Fire Emblem so I didn’t vote for Lyn, though I would have in retrospect.

The blog omissions scream new stuff from the Direct, so I’m quite excited. 

I did alot of voting on the Fighter Ballot in some places to connect through different Wi-Fi IPs (I am good with computers) like Restaurants, Airport, and other places that have Wi-Fi available when I used my iPad and other computers to vote many characters that I wanted to see as possible back at 2015. I did voted King K. Rool and a few veterans that haven't got in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U which they got in Ultimate. And I did voted other newcomers that I wanted to see in For Nintendo 3DS / Wii U since the Fighter Ballot was open back at 2015 was Quote from Cave Story, Shantae, Mike Jones from StarTropics, Shovel Knight, Henry Fleming from CodeName S.T.E.A.M., Avatar and Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X, Asuka from Senran Kagura, and Flynn from Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Oh yeah, speaking of which, if Sakurai finds a way to make the Balloon Fighter as a playable fighter since he had trouble with adding him back at Melee like Ridley, I think Sakurai should make Alice from the Game Boy sequel called Ballon Kid as an Echo Fighter of the Balloon Fighter if he gets in the game as a newcomer.

Edited by King Marth 64