Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genuianly surprised that Isabelle is a unique fighter and not an Echo Fighter.

They also sneakly confirmed Animal Crossing 5.

I don't care about the series and Isabelle doesn't interest me but i'm happy for the fans.

Well, that happened, I now am very curious about the other blog posts.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed about a semi clone being our only announcement for the direct, seems a bit underwhelming personally.

kinda makes that extra week hurt more.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

So i guess Isabelle being in Smash sort of proves that Sakurai isn't exclusively picking from the Ballot? I mean, she's popular, sure but i never saw anyone desperately demanding her presence.

No way!? One of the Nintendo's most successful game is getting another rep for Smash, who could've seen this coming?

I guess I shouldn't be surprise that Isabelle is a clone instead of an echo but here I am being surprise.

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

kinda makes that extra week hurt more.

I'm sure Nintendo has the budget to control natural disasters.

Edited by Zangetsu

I'm cool with Isabelle but that was seriously the least hype I've felt for a Smash trailer. It was obvious it was Smash from the get-go, so why make the whole thing so slow? I understand it's the very relaxing Animal Crossing series, and Isabelle is supposed to be super cute, but really? Start with some kind of fake out, at the very least.

So, there's this specific quote of Vergeben's that people have dug up:

"When it comes to Smash I don't get many specifics about movesets, but I had one who did know, which heard Isabelle would be an echo. Ken is an echo and there was never any kind of "not sure" or unknown aspect about that like Isabelle.... because it's Ken. Obviously he is an echo of Ryu when it comes to people hearing about him, no one even has to ask. It is simply logic in his case."

A "source" claimed Isabelle was an Echo Fighter but Verg wasn't committing to that, yet he and everyone else just assumes Ken is an Echo.

This is everything Vergeben has said that hasn't been confirmed yet: 

Now, here's something interesting: the overall timeline of Fighter rumors.

>Verg does his initial post saying there'll be no cuts and Ridley is playable -> Follows up with Simon Belmont and other info -> Re-affirms Simon and talks about Isabelle -> says there'll be a Gen VII 'mon that isn't Decidueye, Lycanroc, or Mimikyu and that one source is claiming it's Incineroar -> mentions Ken and, from the post above, everybody is just assuming he's an Echo -> mentions new SE character

Aside from skipping over K. Rool, he's called every unique Fighter so far and in the order they were announced.

So, the next reveal could be the Gen VII 'mon, followed by a semi-clone Ken, and then finally the new SE character.

Also, with how SE seems to be hardcore going in with the ports... I'm thinking that new SE character could very well be another Final Fantasy character.

6 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

I'm sure Nintendo has the budget to control natural disasters.

I'm just saying that sitting on the speculation didn't help how I felt about it, no need to be a smart ass about it, I'm sure that nintendo had the budget to make a more impressive announcement for their flagship holiday 2018 title in their biggest announcement event of the year, or I don't know, a second announcement.

1 minute ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I'm just saying that sitting on the speculation didn't help how I felt about it, no need to be a smart ass about it, I'm sure that nintendo had the budget to make a more impressive announcement for their flagship holiday 2018 title in their biggest announcement event of the year, or I don't know, a second announcement.

Everybody and their brother (and their pet dog) is assuming there'll be another Smash Direct in November. This is far from the end.

6 minutes ago, Jave said:

I'm cool with Isabelle but that was seriously the least hype I've felt for a Smash trailer. It was obvious it was Smash from the get-go, so why make the whole thing so slow? I understand it's the very relaxing Animal Crossing series, and Isabelle is supposed to be super cute, but really? Start with some kind of fake out, at the very least.

Heh, I was actually expecting one half-way through. That instead of an inviation, the letter would be about some other newcomer. As for what would follow... well, pretty much what the Tom Nook portion ended up being about.

1 minute ago, The DanMan said:

Everybody and their brother (and their pet dog) is assuming there'll be another Smash Direct in November. This is far from the end.

I know that this isn't the end, I just think that with a main direct it feels like there should be more, something to really get hyped about (Isabelle may have a big fanbase, but I doubt that they are that desperate to see her in smash), I also think that if we are getting a new SE rep, it will have to be geno, bravely default or dragon quest, because the best way to cap off that final fantasy announcement would be a new FF rep.

besides, the only reason why I responded was the smartass response from zengetsu.

A list of Isabelle's similarities and differences to Villager that's floating around gamefaqs:

-Same dash attack, but different cosmetically
-Same grab
-Same Neutral B
-Same Up B, but different cosmetically
-Same Final Smash, but different cosmetically

-Different Forward Smash (the party popper it looked like)
-Different Up Smash (the stop sign)
-Different Down Smash (the water bucket)
-Different Up Tilt (the broom)
-Different Side B (the fishing rod)
-Different Down B (plants a lloyd rocket and shoots it straight up)

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Well if you say I'm being a smartass about it then I can't really argue against that can I?

Point is, I've came fully expecting another lackluster Direct, especially since it wasn't base on Smash Bros to begin with. Even if the earthquake never occur people were always going to be disappointed since it was just a bunch info that could've been announce without the "Direct" being used.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

So, there's this specific quote of Vergeben's that people have dug up:

"When it comes to Smash I don't get many specifics about movesets, but I had one who did know, which heard Isabelle would be an echo. Ken is an echo and there was never any kind of "not sure" or unknown aspect about that like Isabelle.... because it's Ken. Obviously he is an echo of Ryu when it comes to people hearing about him, no one even has to ask. It is simply logic in his case."

A "source" claimed Isabelle was an Echo Fighter but Verg wasn't committing to that, yet he and everyone else just assumes Ken is an Echo.

This is everything Vergeben has said that hasn't been confirmed yet: 

Now, here's something interesting: the overall timeline of Fighter rumors.

>Verg does his initial post saying there'll be no cuts and Ridley is playable -> Follows up with Simon Belmont and other info -> Re-affirms Simon and talks about Isabelle -> says there'll be a Gen VII 'mon that isn't Decidueye, Lycanroc, or Mimikyu and that one source is claiming it's Incineroar -> mentions Ken and, from the post above, everybody is just assuming he's an Echo -> mentions new SE character

Aside from skipping over K. Rool, he's called every unique Fighter so far and in the order they were announced.

So, the next reveal could be the Gen VII 'mon, followed by a semi-clone Ken, and then finally the new SE character.

Also, with how SE seems to be hardcore going in with the ports... I'm thinking that new SE character could very well be another Final Fantasy character.

This leak is getting more and more credible. Though there's always the chance that it's just the sequel to the Gematsu leak and one of his predictions doesn't come true so i still won't 100% believe it. But it's definietly the most credible out of all the leaks.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

This leak is getting more and more credible. Though there's always the chance that it's just the sequel to the Gematsu leak and one of his predictions doesn't come true so i still won't 100% believe it. But it's definietly the most credible out of all the leaks.

As I noted, he completely glossed over K. Rool-- so there's likely one or two characters that have slipped through the cracks/we'll hear more about later. But yeah, as-is Verg's both the longest-running leaker and the most reliable one so far.

52 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

As I noted, he completely glossed over K. Rool-- so there's likely one or two characters that have slipped through the cracks/we'll hear more about later. But yeah, as-is Verg's both the longest-running leaker and the most reliable one so far.

While that may be true, and I do think that he has at least one source that is somewhat privy to information, the dude has been wrong (or has been omitting things that would seemingly be obvious) about things specifically relating to other games before. It's worth keeping in mind.

Edited by Edgelord

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

A list of Isabelle's similarities and differences to Villager that's floating around gamefaqs:

-Same dash attack, but different cosmetically
-Same grab
-Same Neutral B
-Same Up B, but different cosmetically
-Same Final Smash, but different cosmetically

-Different Forward Smash (the party popper it looked like)
-Different Up Smash (the stop sign)
-Different Down Smash (the water bucket)
-Different Up Tilt (the broom)
-Different Side B (the fishing rod)
-Different Down B (plants a lloyd rocket and shoots it straight up)

That's quite a lot of differences all things considered. Just further goes to show the whole idea of a "Semi Clone" is nonexistent.

If there's anything I'm going to take on today's direct, it's that not every Smash announcement comes with an echo fighter.

Something I should've know to begin with, but at least now I can temper more expectation more.

4 hours ago, Jave said:

yeah, I think we would have all been a little more excited if we didn't have a week to speculate