Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Probably; they did skip ahead last week due to the delay, which doesn't make sense unless the song preview hinted at Isabelle.

Well i mean, the song wouldn't really hint at Isabelle. Animal Crossing is already represented, having an AC song wouldn't really say "yeah, Isabelle is coming".

Compared to when Bloody Tears leaked. There was no Castlevania representation prior to Ultimate so previewing Bloody Tears before the Belmonts' reveal would've definetly meant something.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well i mean, the song wouldn't really hint at Isabelle. Animal Crossing is already represented, having an AC song wouldn't really say "yeah, Isabelle is coming".

Compared to when Bloody Tears leaked. There was no Castlevania representation prior to Ultimate so previewing Bloody Tears before the Belmonts' reveal would've definetly meant something.

It wouldn't necessarily say "Isabelle", but Sakurai probably just wanted to be safe. Why else would they skip a song unless they were worried it would spoil something in the delayed Direct?

1 hour ago, Anomalocaris said:

It wouldn't necessarily say "Isabelle", but Sakurai probably just wanted to be safe. Why else would they skip a song unless they were worried it would spoil something in the delayed Direct?

Fair enough.

----------------------------

While the discussion of character leaks is happening, it seems CoroCoro may have leaked the amount of stages. No specifics, just the number.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

While the discussion of character leaks is happening, it seems CoroCoro may have leaked the amount of stages. No specifics, just the number.

See, that's interesting. Sakurai seemed fixated on the number 103.

108 makes sense though. There are 6 blank spots on the stage select screen shown in the Direct. 5 more stages, and the sixth blank spot is reserved for a "next page" tab leading to custom stages and/or DLC stages.

9 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

See, that's interesting. Sakurai seemed fixated on the number 103.

108 makes sense though. There are 6 blank spots on the stage select screen shown in the Direct. 5 more stages, and the sixth blank spot is reserved for a "next page" tab leading to custom stages and/or DLC stages.

I'd wager the "next page" would be for DLC as well. I'm not sure about custom stages and i'm starting to feel that the Stage Builder might not be back.

From what I'm seeing a couple people say, the language used is identical to how Sakurai expressed the total amount in the Direct-- which seems to further the typo theory.

Anyways, Verg weighs in on the Box theory:

https://t.co/pGGrauxgik

DnNPRLtUYAAlpXj.jpg

If both end up correct, then the SE character could very well be a DLC character at or very soon after launch (if it was known about back in the summer). Some people are deadest on thinking it's Geno, but honestly I feel like Noctis or heck Sephiroth would make more sense in terms of hype and marketing. 

Edited by The DanMan

3 hours ago, The DanMan said:

From what I'm seeing a couple people say, the language used is identical to how Sakurai expressed the total amount in the Direct-- which seems to further the typo theory.

Anyways, Verg weighs in on the Box theory:

Hide contents

https://t.co/pGGrauxgik

DnNPRLtUYAAlpXj.jpg

If both end up correct, then the SE character could very well be a DLC character at or very soon after launch (if it was known about back in the summer). Some people are deadest on thinking it's Geno, but honestly I feel like Noctis or heck Sephiroth would make more sense in terms of hype and marketing. 

Spoiler

I'd agree that it's probably Sephiroth (or if they wanna go the Echo route, Zack). Final Fantasy in Smash is labeled as "Final Fantasy 7" so if we're getting any more FF characters, it'd have to be from that specific game.

That reminds me, i wonder if they'll talk about DLC plans before the game launches. Nintendo has had a habit recently of announcing DLC like 2 weeks before a game's launch (they did it with BotW, Xenoblade 2, i think Mario+Rabbids, and FE Warriors)

On 9/14/2018 at 1:02 PM, The DanMan said:

Trust me, I'm fully aware his overall track record is mixed at best; it's just that so far he's been pretty on the money.

Yeah, with a load of easy-to-guess characters that anyone with two brain cells could have predicted. Even I guessed that K.Rool would be playable after Ridley got revealed.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Yeah, with a load of easy-to-guess characters that anyone with two brain cells could have predicted. Even I guessed that K.Rool would be playable after Ridley got revealed.

Simon Belmont wasn't an easy call months in advance before the music mess up lol. 

Calling Isabelle easy to guess now when most people were sure it was Isaac or Geno? Give me a break.

Went with a friend to try out the best buy smash ultimate demo. By the time we were looking at the results screen for the second and final Free For All match, exactly three hours had elapsed since the event started. But even with such a long wait mostly in direct California heat it was still fun to chat with other players. I played Bowser in game 1 and most of my time was spent testing and confirming stuff I've heard since I've seen every moment of gameplay available of him online. Second match I chose Little Mac since me and my friend are die hard Punch Out fans and he has more mains in the demo than I do. Also the staff encouraged people to pick new stages and characters for game 2 regardless.

Smash is great, this demo is great, Green Greens is the proper amount of jank expected of a Melee stage. Global Smashfest when?

26 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Calling Isabelle easy to guess now when most people were sure it was Isaac or Geno? Give me a break.

I dunno, a lot of people were expecting Isabelle to be playable after she failed to show up as an Assist Trophy during the Smash Direct, especially since Kapp'n was revealed as one.

So yeah, i'd say Isabelle was a fairly easy guess.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I dunno, a lot of people were expecting Isabelle to be playable after she failed to show up as an Assist Trophy during the Smash Direct, especially since Kapp'n was revealed as one.

So yeah, i'd say Isabelle was a fairly easy guess.

Yes she was, but like she had no attention from all the "hype" people is more my point. Besides obviously Verg.

Likewise Simon had no support before Verg, and even when he stated him there was quite a bit of "I don't think so'

Edited by Jedi

4 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Ah yes, claiming Ridley would be playable and that Snake would come back on top of Simon Belmont as a newcomer months before E3 was easy?

What's next, Gematsu was bogus and Wii Fit Trainer was an easy call? 

You know who people were also predicting after Ridley? Ashley from WarioWare. You know how that went? Not very well. And Verg was beating the Incineroar drum while most were on the Decidueye train.

Loz18 had some specific information about the E3 showing and Smash Direct then started peddling fanfiction over Skull Kid and Isaac, saying too much and killing his credibility. Funnily, the only newcomer Loz called was K. Rool-- who's the only non-Echo Verg missed. 

None of the characters Verg has talked about were bandwagon characters or considered super safe guesses; heck, even when he talked about Isabelle he mentioned how "a source claims she's an Echo but there's a measure of uncertainty"-- and whaddya know, she ended up mostly unique, going against the bandwagon.

Heck, he's even said he can confirm Incineroar and Ken at least; he's not going all-in on the LE Box bandwagon which even the likes of Source Gaming are on.

With Smash, Verg has been uncharacteristically straightforward, professional, and on-point.

Edited by The DanMan

5 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

As usual, it's clear you don't know what you're talking about since K. Rool is the one newcomer Vergeben didn't mention.

Except I wasn't talking about what Vergeben did or didn't mention, rather that Isabelle being playable was a pretty easy guess to make (as was K.Rool after the Ridley reveal).

So it's clear that you don't know what you're talking about either.

3 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Except I wasn't talking about what Vergeben did or didn't mention, rather that Isabelle being playable was a pretty easy guess to make (as was K.Rool after the Ridley reveal).

So it's clear that you don't know what you're talking about either.

I cannot disagree with you more. There was talk earlier about how on the blog, some items' URLs had numbers that skipped some others, which indicated a new character would be coming in with a new song dedicated to them, which obviously did not happen with Isabelle who showed up with Tortimer Island music. Without hindsight, Isabelle would be an unlikely guess.

You also still have not explained how K. Rool was easy to guess in your eyes.

Kinda surprised how many of you seem to disregard the idea that people can make independent predictions, as if opinions have hinged entirely on rumors and community speculation. I personally don't pay attention to that stuff, so my logic has been:

• Inkling: Half-expected them to be a full character as Wii U DLC, and they were certainly going to be in the next game whenever it was coming.
  • Daisy: Didn't expect her, but more because I neglected to even think about her. If they announced that they were gonna add a bunch of Echoes well beforehand somehow, then I probably would have suspected her.
  • Ridley: People have been asking for him forever, and going through Brawl and Wii U, it was a let down seeing him appear as just a boss. He always seemed like a 50/50 chance to me, really hinging on whether or not Sakurai wanted to keep him as a memorable boss and not have to think about resizing him.
  • Simon: Also one I expected ever since Snake was added. Even in Wii U, until I saw that Snake was cut, I figured he was a sure thing. Snake's return for Ultimate solidified Simon's appearance this time around in my head.
  • Richter: Absolutely surprised me in the very best way. I expected we'd get, at best, Trevor as an Echo, though thinking about the moves Simon has to use (borrowed from Richter), I suppose Trevor would've seemed like an odd choice. Still feels like Sakurai put him in the game just for me (which I'm sure other Richter fans feel the same way)
  • Chrom: Not in the least bit surprising, I think most people expected him once we heard about Echoes. My brother pointed out to me that Ike no longer had the Chrom color scheme, so it only fueled that conviction.
  • Dark Samus: Pretty much same deal as Chrom.
  • King K. Rool: He was like 50/50 to me, DK series was pretty long overdue (though I expected Dixie first) and people have been really vocal about him getting in. Also helped that he had the Mii costume, which showed that Sakurai was acknowledging his fans. I figured if he wasn't playable, he'd be a boss or something.
  • Isabelle: Simply knowing that she's the face of Animal Crossing is enough to make her an easy prediction. Supported by the Mii costume and that she wasn't shown as an AT (on top of which, I feel Chef Kawasaki is too similar in function). Only thing that would have held her back is that she's not really a fighter in any sense, but that didn't stop her from getting into Mario Kart either.

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

I cannot disagree with you more. There was talk earlier about how on the blog, some items' URLs had numbers that skipped some others, which indicated a new character would be coming in with a new song dedicated to them, which obviously did not happen with Isabelle who showed up with Tortimer Island music. Without hindsight, Isabelle would be an unlikely guess.

That reminds me, has today's blog update used the missing numbers?

5 hours ago, Johann said:

• Chrom: Not in the least bit surprising, I think most people expected him once we heard about Echoes. My brother pointed out to me that Ike no longer had the Chrom color scheme, so it only fueled that conviction.

What does Shadows of Valentia have to do with Chrom being in Smash Bros 5?

I honestly did not expect him; namely because, even as an echo, his inclusion makes it that the majority of FE characters have their movesets derived from Marth. Plus, he was in Robin's final smash, 

5 hours ago, Johann said:

• Simon: Also one I expected ever since Snake was added. Even in Wii U, until I saw that Snake was cut, I figured he was a sure thing. Snake's return for Ultimate solidified Simon's appearance this time around in my head.
  • Richter: Absolutely surprised me in the very best way. I expected we'd get, at best, Trevor as an Echo, though thinking about the moves Simon has to use (borrowed from Richter), I suppose Trevor would've seemed like an odd choice. Still feels like Sakurai put him in the game just for me (which I'm sure other Richter fans feel the same way)

I was expecting Trevor as well; main reason being the TV show. But I was honestly hoping for Trevor, rather than Simon or Richter. I understand though that Richter makes more sense as a reflection of the moveset used.

Honestly, I'm still hoping that Trevor appears in some way; at the very least as a trophy, but hopefully also as an alternate colour palette of Simon or Richter. 

43 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I honestly did not expect him; namely because, even as an echo, his inclusion makes it that the majority of FE characters have their movesets derived from Marth. Plus, he was in Robin's final smash, 

I figured he would be an Ike echo to keep things a little more diverse

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I was mostly in denial at the possibility as I hate chrom and found him undeserving to even be robin's final smash, or lick his boots in a victory animation, chrom fans should be grateful that he had the honor to be decked in the face by the majesty that is the falcon punch, captain falcon would have to wash his now sullied fist twice over to get the filth off.

I don't think that any of these are necessarily incredible predictions, just ask the question, who is the most requested set of newcomers, and you get a very similar list, if we are talking fanservice smash bros, this sounds about right.