Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

3 hours ago, Johann said:

I figured he would be an Ike echo to keep things a little more diverse

That being open still makes me think the Black Knight might have a potential chance of showing up.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Jedi said:

That being open still makes me think the Black Knight might have a potential chance of showing up.

I agree. Of all other FE characters to be added in any capacity, BK is probably on the top of the list.

3 minutes ago, Johann said:

I agree. Of all other FE characters to be added in any capacity, BK is probably on the top of the list.

Considering the old Mii costumes seemingly being promoted to some extent it'd make sense too.

10 minutes ago, Florete said:

That's fine.

What about as an Assist Trophy as well? We definitely need more Fire Emblem Assist Trophies in Ultimate since Lyn is the only one got stuck as a single Fire Emblem Assist Trophy for so long.

There is also currently a debate in the Smash fandom about who Sonic would get as a second character and it always goes to Shadow & Tails.Ā 

Both have their obvious merits and popularity in the Sonic fandom. Heck some are even wanting Semi Clone Tails (ala Isabelle) and Echo Shadow.

5 minutes ago, Jedi said:

There is also currently a debate in the Smash fandom about who Sonic would get as a second character and it always goes to Shadow & Tails.Ā 

Both have their obvious merits and popularity in the Sonic fandom. Heck some are even wanting Semi Clone Tails (ala Isabelle) and Echo Shadow.

I used to roll my eyes at the thought of getting more Sonic characters, as it seemed to me like one of those "coulda been someone I cared about instead!" things. After getting Richter, I straight up embrace everything they give us and am genuinely happy for fans that have their wish come true.

Anyway yeah it'd definitely be one (or both) of those two. Is Tails visible on the Green HIll Zone stage? Not that they couldn't put Alfonzo in there.

2 minutes ago, Johann said:

I used to roll my eyes at the thought of getting more Sonic characters, as it seemed to me like one of those "coulda been someone I cared about instead!" things. After getting Richter, I straight up embrace everything they give us and am genuinely happy for fans that have their wish come true.

Anyway yeah it'd definitely be one (or both) of those two. Is Tails visible on the Green HIll Zone stage? Not that they couldn't put Alfonzo in there.

I believe he's still there, but I'd have to hyper analyze footage of Green Hill we've gotten in Ultimate so far.Ā 

They could always replace him with Cream on the loop maybe?

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I believe he's still there, but I'd have to hyper analyze footage of Green Hill we've gotten in Ultimate so far.Ā 

They could always replace him with Cream on the loop maybe?

Did some searching, and he does (@ 0:16)

I don't know any of the Sonic characters beyond Sonic, Robotnik, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow, so I dunno who they have, but surely they can put practically anyone in that spot, or even just make him not show up.

Edited by Johann

1 minute ago, Johann said:

Did some searching, and he does (@ 0:16)

I don't know any of the Sonic characters beyond Sonic, Robotnik, Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow, so I dunno who they have, but surely they can put practically anyone in that spot, or even just make him not show up.

Thank you, and yeah it'd be easy enough to do I think.Ā 

This also brings up the topic of if SE or Namco get more people too.Ā 

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

This also brings up the topic of if SE or Namco get more people too.Ā 

For SE, I'd guess Terra or Crono, with Geno being a possibility but being less of a SE character since he's a Mario character after all. For Namco, I'd guess Lloyd Irving or Heihachi. Hard to say given how much stuff Namco has, but those two seem like decent candidates given their Mii costumes at the very least. Tales of Symphonia was huge on Game Cube and I'm guessing people still love Tekken (never paid attention to it myself).

Totally out of left field, it just occurred to me that I'd totally love to see Meowth added for no reason other than to give Pikachu his one true rival.

6 minutes ago, Johann said:

For SE, I'd guess Terra or Crono, with Geno being a possibility but being less of a SE character since he's a Mario character after all. For Namco, I'd guess Lloyd Irving or Heihachi. Hard to say given how much stuff Namco has, but those two seem like decent candidates given their Mii costumes at the very least. Tales of Symphonia was huge on Game Cube and I'm guessing people still love Tekken (never paid attention to it myself).

Totally out of left field, it just occurred to me that I'd totally love to see Meowth added for no reason other than to give Pikachu his one true rival.

Meowth would be great, and I agree with your Namco stuff. SE i'm not so sure of since they're a great ball of ??? In terms of what they'd allow and how Sakurai's specfically shown that FF7 is what is crossing over with Smash and some other stuff.Ā 

https://www.strawpoll.me/16479739Ā made a small strawpoll on the Shadow, Tails and Eggman stuff (Eggman is brought up sometimes too).

I really donā€™t like the idea of Eggman (I refuse to call him ā€œRobotnikā€ as itā€™s no longer the 90s) as a fighter in Smash. The main reason is that Eggman is never fought as... well, Eggman. What I mean is that rather than fighting him in the flesh, heā€™s always in some big ass machine or robot. So seeing him throwing punches and running around on his own two legs would be so odd to me. Sure, itā€™s possible they could pull a Bowser Jr. for him but the thing is that Eggmanā€™s mechs are HUGE. They canā€™t realistically be shrunk down without looking awkward. That said, Iā€™d love Eggman in Smash as a boss or stage hazard like Yellow Devil, though the latter is unlikely unless a new one is added.Ā 

As some might already be familiar with, Iā€™d love Shadow and heā€™s the only character I really want in Smash aside from Lyn whoā€™s still a damn AT. I wouldnā€™t be against Tails either. He was my favorite character when I was younger. Both would be amazing, but probably pushing it. Iā€™d be really annoyed should Street Fighter get Ken for some reason while Sonic gets jack shit.Ā 

52 minutes ago, Florete said:

All but Cloud are broken due to hotlinking.

Should be fixed now.

Also found some new ones

Jusvten.jpg

i6Q4vFvh.jpg

And while we have seen Leaf's render, i don't think we have seen it in full before

4sKUcVbh.jpg

Ā 

My Sonic Boss pick is already Death Egg Robot. Iconic enough to show up in every Sonic throwback circle jerk, is the final boss of Sonic 2, doesn't require Eggman or any other character cast in the game, and he just makes for a fun fight for a platform fighter. My friend also wants Sectonia of Kirby Triple Deluxe as a boss, although he's already given up on Royal Road appearing as a stage. Sakurai, why won't you put in more references to Kirby games you didn't make?Ā 

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And while we have seen Leaf's render, i don't think we have seen it in full before

Did Charizard just fart?

Edit: Oh, it's the flame on his tail.

Edited by Glennstavos

3 hours ago, Florete said:

All but Cloud are broken due to hotlinking.

Because Cloud's already broken

As for 3rd parties already in Smash getting more characters:

>Namco: Heihachi's the most likely, due to Sakurai explicitly considering him for Smash 4-- with Villager, Miis, and Pac-Man showing that rejected characters can still come back. If it weren't Heihachi, then likely a Tales character; when it came to Mii Fighter costumes, Sakurai said "Lloyd was the only option", but a few years later with Vesperia Definitive and Yuri's absurd popularity among the fandom (outright banned from official popularity polls) + Namco also doing the main development work for Smash (I believe one of Smash 4's producers had even worked on the Tales series), I'd say there's enough going for him that it would be 50/50 between the two.

>Capcom: Monster Hunter. Already has Rathalos in the game-- halfway in the door already. I rest my case.

>Sega: either a new Sonic character or a Persona protagonist, due to them being their two biggest global franchises. Sonic has more popularity, but Persona would make waves and have more of aĀ WTF factor to it (plus, Sakurai's a fan of the series). And if Cloud can be skewed to represent all of Final Fantasy, then you can do the same with Persona and the entirety of MegaTen because it's wholly eclipsed it at this point.

Ā 

The Black Knight speculation has convinced me, I want him and hope he's in. Still hoping for Isaac but I'm not confident. And if Sora is somehow the rumoured SE rep I'll be thrilled. Expecting it to be Noctis, Terra, or a DQ character though.

I'm thinking there areĀ 2-3 newcomers and 3-5 echoes left for the base game. Incineroar is the only one I'm positive of.