Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

54 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

And if Sora is somehow the rumoured SE rep I'll be thrilled. Expecting it to be Noctis, Terra, or a DQ character though.

Well Sora is actually owned by Disney so it's definetly not him.

Assuming it's Final Fantasy though, the most likely choices are either Zack or Sepitroth. Noctis would make sense too but only if they change the labeling from "Final Fantasy 7" to "Final Fantasy".

Though i do think a DQ character is more likley as well.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Should be fixed now.

Also found some new ones

(Female Robin Render)

holy crap, a female robin render that isn't crap, that settles it, best smash bros graphics, I also really hope for more p2 amiibos, female corrin got one so I can't see why robin is any less deserving, I don't think alph has one which is a shame, PoR Ike would be nice as well.

45 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

The Black Knight speculation has convinced me, I want him and hope he's in. Still hoping for Isaac but I'm not confident. And if Sora is somehow the rumoured SE rep I'll be thrilled. Expecting it to be Noctis, Terra, or a DQ character though.

I'm thinking there are 2-3 newcomers and 3-5 echoes left for the base game. Incineroar is the only one I'm positive of.

I hear the boss speculation and it only makes me cringe, I like to think that sakurai has learned about these things from pyrosphere about making highly requested characters only extras who will never be seen outside of single player or friendlies/for fun, feels like a real slap to the face to those who want them in, though I also think that he makes no sense as a boss moveset wise, he has no width to his attacks and his range is limited, BK didn't even get aoe attacks in the tower of guidance, he is also tiny compared to most other bosses, being only slightly taller than RD Ike, sizing him up would be the opposite problem as ridley, and assist is even worse, as those are virtually restricted to casual and are completely random, he also doesn't stand out much there either.

Yeah unless we get someone from another FF in there. The listings clearly show it as FF7, so I personally feel if we did get anymore FF content it'd still be from 7. 

But they could always change this of course. 

d663361a71f7f2f08d5b75e83bc5564b.png

I'd like to see the Black Knight appear, but I think he's best suited to being a boss. While he and Ike may have had the same teacher, I feel that their fighting styles in-game are too different for the Black Knight to really work as an Echo of Ike. I feel he would also be underutilized if he were made an assist trophy, since he's not really suited for it. 

As a boss, however, he could really shine. They can give him the full range of attacks (including sword beams), ensure that the Black Knight theme music is what's playing in the background, and, in the event of a story mode, they could factor in his blessed armor. 

So yeah; I'd love for him to appear, but only either as a boss, or as Micaiah's down special (if Micaiah appears as an Echo of Zelda). 

Speaking of bosses, the Black Knight is one of three FE characters I could see as a Smash Bros. boss. The other two are Ashnard and Medeus (Earth Dragon form). 

Ashnard would have his massive sword Gurgurant as well as his mount Rajaion. This could mean breath attacks, sword attacks, sweeping attacks, etc. It could also have a case of two hitboxes: Rajaion and Ashnard, and hitting Rajaion does very little compared to hitting Ashnard. He was also iconic enough to get a trophy in Smash Bros. 4, so there's at least a possibility.

Medeus, meanwhile, would have a lot of potential. He's the first FE main villain. And, with his dragon form comes all kind of potential attacks: claw, dark breath, tail swipe, and even burrowing underground to pop up and attack (he is an Earth Dragon after all). 

Outside of Fire Emblem, I can see quite a few potential bosses. For one example, it would honestly be a little disheartening if the guardians from Breath of the Wild didn't appear as a boss in some way. I would love it if their laser attack completely destroys any non-perfect shield, and a perfect shield reflects the laser attack right back at the guardian; taking away 1/3 of its health like in Breath of the Wild. 

Even with the comically large armor, Black Knight could only be as large as Bowser without looking impossibly out of proportion and we've never had a boss that small in Smash. Plus if they want a Fire Emblem boss in particular there are just so many that don't have that size issue. Especially Medeus or the final bosses of the three 3DS games who would all fill up the screen and have multiple means of attacking.

I think they'll go with Black Knight as an echo. He's been on the watch list for a while by being a mii outfit in 4, being removed from Castle Siege's background, etc. Black Knight is physically larger than Ike, but I remember Lucina is also shorter than Marth - with a very slightly shorter sword reach as a result, so Black Knight having more reach at the cost of a larger hurtbox still sounds like Echo territory to me.

38 minutes ago, Johann said:

I could see a Grima boss fight where Risen are constantly coming after you, that'd be pretty neat

Grima's extremely big. He'd have to be the stage itself in addition to being the boss. If that happened, my mind would then have to raise the same question that it did during Awakening: why doesn't he just knock the heroes off his back by tilting? He's already flying, and they're all on his back. All he has to do is tilt or spin. 

51 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Even with the comically large armor, Black Knight could only be as large as Bowser without looking impossibly out of proportion and we've never had a boss that small in Smash. 

Yeah; I guess you're right. Though bosses don't have to be massive; a boss that's more regular-sized could be interesting. Plus, the Black Knight's a pretty big guy (I tried to find an image, but the best I could find was this gif. Sorry about that. But note how tall he is compared to a Begnion fighter; he's huge!):

Image result for fire emblem radiant dawn black knight

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

I think they'll go with Black Knight as an echo. He's been on the watch list for a while by being a mii outfit in 4, being removed from Castle Siege's background, etc. Black Knight is physically larger than Ike, but I remember Lucina is also shorter than Marth - with a very slightly shorter sword reach as a result, so Black Knight having more reach at the cost of a larger hurtbox still sounds like Echo territory to me.

I guess, though that wasn't the Black Knight in the background; that was a generic general. 

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Plus if they want a Fire Emblem boss in particular there are just so many that don't have that size issue. Especially Medeus or the final bosses of the three 3DS games who would all fill up the screen and have multiple means of attacking.

This I can definitely see. Not the 3DS bosses; I think they'd have the problem of being way too big. I already mentioned the problem with Grima, but Anankos is also the size of a building. What I can definitely see is Medeus as a boss. That would be really cool. 

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Should be fixed now.

Don't know what you think you did, but they're not fixed. You hotlinked (aka took the link directly from the website that hosted it instead of getting it re-hosted first, which is actually against the rules of these forums) and Nintendo Everything doesn't allow hotlinking so they don't show up for other people.

Cloud and the ones in your second post are fine because they were re-hosted on an image sharing site (imgur) first.

13 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Grima's extremely big. He'd have to be the stage itself in addition to being the boss. If that happened, my mind would then have to raise the same question that it did during Awakening: why doesn't he just knock the heroes off his back by tilting? He's already flying, and they're all on his back. All he has to do is tilt or spin. 

Yeah; I guess you're right. Though bosses don't have to be massive; a boss that's more regular-sized could be interesting. Plus, the Black Knight's a pretty big guy (I tried to find an image, but the best I could find was this gif. Sorry about that. But note how tall he is compared to a Begnion fighter; he's huge!):

Image result for fire emblem radiant dawn black knight

I guess, though that wasn't the Black Knight in the background; that was a generic general. 

This I can definitely see. Not the 3DS bosses; I think they'd have the problem of being way too big. I already mentioned the problem with Grima, but Anankos is also the size of a building. What I can definitely see is Medeus as a boss. That would be really cool. 

Hey, who says Grima can't do a barrel role to shake the fighters off his back? That's not something that really works with Fire Emblem, but in the realm of Smash, it's perfectly feasible. Remember Brinstar Depths?

Nice to see renders for Female Robin and Female Pokémon Trainer. Now where is Female Corrin's render?

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Grima is too big huh? Spoilers for Fire Emblem Echoes though but...

Spoiler

In Chapter 6 you fight Grima (called The Creation here) down at the bottom of the Thabes Labyrinth. He is also much smaller than usual so I could see the smash devs using it as a basis for a Grima boss battle for Smash Ultimate.

If nothing else I could see Grima's boss battle being Grima possessing Robin's body who stands in the background and just summons Grima's head which players will have to attack.

6 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Hey thanks. Also, is that Wooly Yoshi I spy.

Yoshi has the Yarn in Yoshi's Woolly World, the one that was shown as an alternate costume from the upcoming Crafted World looks more like a stuff doll since I see the fuzzy details in the costume. I don't think they have shown Yarn Yoshi in Ultimate yet unless if they are planning to have Yarn Yoshi as an echo fighter of Yoshi.

Edited by King Marth 64

2 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Yoshi has the Yarn in Yoshi's Woolly World, the one that was shown as an alternate costume from the upcoming Crafted World looks more like a stuff doll since I see the fuzzy details in the costume. I don't think they have shown Yarn Yoshi in Ultimate yet unless if they are planning to have Yarn Yoshi as an echo fighter of Yoshi.

Ah, my mistake.

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

Hey, who says Grima can't do a barrel role to shake the fighters off his back? That's not something that really works with Fire Emblem, but in the realm of Smash, it's perfectly feasible. Remember Brinstar Depths?

Huh; you're right, actually. I didn't think of that. Yeah; they could make it that he can tilt and barrel-roll in Smash. They'd have to put his head in the background (like the dragon head statue in that Kalos Pokémon League stage) because of the 2D nature of FE, but it could work. I still think I would prefer Medeus or Ashnard as far as FE bosses are concerned. 

11 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

Nice to see renders for Female Robin and Female Pokémon Trainer. Now where is Female Corrin's render?

Grima is too big huh? Spoilers for Fire Emblem Echoes though but...

Reveal hidden contents

In Chapter 6 you fight Grima (called The Creation here) down at the bottom of the Thabes Labyrinth. He is also much smaller than usual so I could see the smash devs using it as a basis for a Grima boss battle for Smash Ultimate.

If nothing else I could see Grima's boss battle being Grima possessing Robin's body who stands in the background and just summons Grima's head which players will have to attack.

I would've thought the other way around: the head's in the background and you have to attack the possessed Robin, like in Awakening. 

Something that has started a commotion but may end up being nothing

DnktEDeU0AEuZsX?format=jpg

Appearently, Kingdom Hearts' producer responded positively to a "Sora for Smash" post. He later deleted the Tweet. 

Is Sora actually coming or did he delete the Tweet to prevent false hope? Or did this mean aboslutely nothing in the first place.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Is Sora actually coming or did he delete the Tweet to prevent false hope? Or did this mean aboslutely nothing in the first place.

Sounds like one nasty mind game for those who care. Does the deletion meaning a foreshadowing? Or is it a joke?

I'd be inclined to say the latter, since I doubt Sakurai would approve of such a tweet. But maybe that is part of the mind game?

KH sounds possible, while no numbered KH has been on a Ninty system, it does have a couple other games there. And Cloud made being on a Nintendo system not necessary unless you believe objective time is real and that from such a perspective, it is irrelevant that FFVII on Switch came later, as long as VII ever came to Nintendo, that is all that matters in the realm of objective time, before and after is less relevant.

I’m bearish on this one. This could easily just him being positive about the idea of Sora in Smash rather than an indirect (direct?) confirmation. Plus Sora just opens up a whole new can of worms as not only does Nintendo have to get permission from the notoriously tight ass Square Enix, but also Disney who I’d think would make SE look generous in comparison. 

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And Cloud made being on a Nintendo system not necessary unless you believe objective time is real and that from such a perspective, it is irrelevant that FFVII on Switch came later, as long as VII ever came to Nintendo, that is all that matters in the realm of objective time, before and after is less relevant.

What, does Cloud being on the KH Nintendo games doesn't count?

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Something that has started a commotion but may end up being nothing

DnktEDeU0AEuZsX?format=jpg

Appearently, Kingdom Hearts' producer responded positively to a "Sora for Smash" post. He later deleted the Tweet. 

Oh my gosh.... I might just lose it if it actually happen

Someone ping me if this ever comes out to be true

44 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sounds like one nasty mind game for those who care. Does the deletion meaning a foreshadowing? Or is it a joke?

I'd be inclined to say the latter, since I doubt Sakurai would approve of such a tweet. But maybe that is part of the mind game?

KH sounds possible, while no numbered KH has been on a Ninty system, it does have a couple other games there. And Cloud made being on a Nintendo system not necessary unless you believe objective time is real and that from such a perspective, it is irrelevant that FFVII on Switch came later, as long as VII ever came to Nintendo, that is all that matters in the realm of objective time, before and after is less relevant.

Oh come on, Do you seriously believe Sakurai views time linearly like the rest of us?