Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

https://t.co/EuX7kbFDq6?amp=1

Flash Man Stage remix

51 days remain until Smash Ultimate and we still haven't gotten a new Kid Icarus or Xenoblade song previewed, i am prepping the nukes as i type this.

Im readying my giant death laser as well 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

51 days remain until Smash Ultimate and we still haven't gotten a new Kid Icarus or Xenoblade song previewed, i am prepping the nukes as i type this.

KI hasn't had anything new since Smash 4. They shouldn't be getting too much I would think, 3-4 tracks and maybe an Echo I guess. Unless Sakurai displays some love for his adopted child.

As for Xeno, yeah, so far they haven't thrown bones in this direction. Of Ninty's franchises, Metroid has gained Ridley, Zelda has gained a new stage and redesigned Link, Mario got Daisy, the DK subfranchise has gotten K. Rool, Animal Crossing got Isabelle. Pokemon has only regained Pichu; Star Fox, Wolf; FE, Chrom; and F-Zero is dead. Kirby, like Xenoblade, has gained nothing yet. Yet unlike Kirby, Xenoblade has reason to gain more, owing to lack of continuous characters.

Perhaps Nintendo thinks JRPG fans deserve to be kept on the backburner? Their loyalty is easily maintained and gained? XC not a truly great franchise? If for some reason Nintendo totally snubs XC in the base game, hopefully it'd get a generous portion of the inevitable DLC- have to compensate for stagnating game prices and rising development costs somehow.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

KI hasn't had anything new since Smash U. They shouldn't be getting too much I would think, 3-4 tracks and maybe an Echo I guess. Unless Sakurai displays some love for his adopted child.

I'd be down for more KI, the Uprising soundtrack was hot fire and there are plenty of good characters they can use in whatever capacity. Medusa as a Palutena echo with her alternate specials makes plenty of sense too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SSBUNews/status/1052387198811742208

Smash Ultimate's menu theme. I'm hearing reports that it was leaked but also that it was officially released. Either way, there it is.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

KI hasn't had anything new since Smash 4. They shouldn't be getting too much I would think, 3-4 tracks and maybe an Echo I guess. Unless Sakurai displays some love for his adopted child.

Well i mean, there's 900+ music tracks, some of them have to be new Uprising remixes. Same goes for Xenoblade although maybe they won't actually be remixing any Xenoblade songs like in Smash 4, opting out instead for just using the original versions of the songs.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Same goes for Xenoblade although maybe they won't actually be remixing any Xenoblade songs like in Smash 4, opting out instead for just using the original versions of the songs.

They did one medley though, which is a semi-remix. Sneaking in multiple tracks, albeit at the cost of their original form to an extent (both how they sound and length).

I don't think remixes are so necessary if the original piece:

1. Is modern made and hence very easy on the ears, or sufficiently retro.
  2. Is suited for a fighting game like Smash as is (not always the case, but often so), as opposed to a lot of Animal Crossing stuff.
  3. Originates from a game with a lot of good music, and hence little space can be wasted on remixes of tracks already in.

XC's tracks meet the modernity, suiting fighting, and having sheer quantity. Although admittedly, the second...probability... doesn't apply even to all of XC1's prior inclusions. Gaur Plains is for exploring, not fighting, and Engage the Enemy is cinematics between battles, never actually the battles themselves.

...And I really should go back and listen to KI: U's soundtrack. Why on Earth, in the Skyworld above, and the Underworld below, did I always play with the game muted? Should finally break that oddity. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/SSBUNews/status/1052387198811742208

Smash Ultimate's menu theme. I'm hearing reports that it was leaked but also that it was officially released. Either way, there it is.

Sounds kinda scratchy, I hope that's not the highest quality version of it

Well i mean, there's 900+ music tracks, some of them have to be new Uprising remixes. Same goes for Xenoblade although maybe they won't actually be remixing any Xenoblade songs like in Smash 4, opting out instead for just using the original versions of the songs.

They also tend to arrange longer songs to be closer to 2 minutes in length, for better or worse.

49 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...And I really should go back and listen to KI: U's soundtrack. Why on Earth, in the Skyworld above, and the Underworld below, did I always play with the game muted? Should finally break that oddity. 

I like to think there's no wrong way to play a game, but good heavens, KI:U is one game that absolutely has to be played with the sound on. Just a few gems that weren't in Smash:

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for Xeno, yeah, so far they haven't thrown bones in this direction. Of Ninty's franchises, Metroid has gained Ridley, Zelda has gained a new stage and redesigned Link, Mario got Daisy, the DK subfranchise has gotten K. Rool, Animal Crossing got Isabelle. Pokemon has only regained Pichu; Star Fox, Wolf; FE, Chrom; and F-Zero is dead. Kirby, like Xenoblade, has gained nothing yet. Yet unlike Kirby, Xenoblade has reason to gain more, owing to lack of continuous characters.

Perhaps Nintendo thinks JRPG fans deserve to be kept on the backburner? Their loyalty is easily maintained and gained? XC not a truly great franchise? If for some reason Nintendo totally snubs XC in the base game, hopefully it'd get a generous portion of the inevitable DLC- have to compensate for stagnating game prices and rising development costs somehow.

I get the feeling the lack of new anything for Xenoblade probably just furthers the idea that Rex is one of the first DLC characters and that there'll be a hefty helping of 2-related content coming with him (if they decide to bundle Echoes with some newcomers, I could even see Malos as a Shulk Echo-- maybe using the custom move variant of Monado arts that last longer and are slightly more powerful but can't be switched out of once initiated?). 

The more I think about it, that's probably what it comes down to: Rex and 2 representation narrowly missed the cut-off point. Can't wait for the inevitable bitching.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

The more I think about it, that's probably what it comes down to: Rex and 2 representation narrowly missed the cut-off point. Can't wait for the inevitable bitching.

I mean, i still think there's a good chance for 2's music to be featured. I don't know anything about game design but i think music is the easiest part of it and if we assume that, like Smash 4, none of the new Xenoblade songs will be remixed (aside from a series medley), then adding in music from 2 would be the easiest way to represent that game.

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

I get the feeling the lack of new anything for Xenoblade probably just furthers the idea that Rex is one of the first DLC characters and that there'll be a hefty helping of 2-related content coming with him (if they decide to bundle Echoes with some newcomers, I could even see Malos as a Shulk Echo-- maybe using the custom move variant of Monado arts that last longer and are slightly more powerful but can't be switched out of once initiated?). 

So you put Elma into the "a little too soon" category, and hence completely ignore her? Reasonable unfortunately. That and I think the reception of XCX was more tepid than XC1 and XC2.

She wouldn't be a hard addition to fit in though, she can like Bayo use a ZSS base and work from there. Dual guns like Bayo, dual blades like Pit. Toss in Overdrive or Ghost Factory for a personal gimmick. 

If by some chance we got a new XC stage, it would have to be XC2 though. Besides being more recent, I can't really think of an incredibly good place for a XCX stage. The Lifehold Core, the climax of the thin plot, is boring aesthetically, NLA is another cityscape, Primordia is too much Gaur Plains, can't see anywhere else as much as I'd like Sylvalum, with a Xe-dom strolling around in the background.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So you put Elma into the "a little too soon" category, and hence completely ignore her? Reasonable unfortunately. That and I think the reception of XCX was more tepid than XC1 and XC2.

She wouldn't be a hard addition to fit in though, she can like Bayo use a ZSS base and work from there. Dual guns like Bayo, dual blades like Pit. Toss in Overdrive or Ghost Factory for a personal gimmick. 

If by some chance we got a new XC stage, it would have to be XC2 though. Besides being more recent, I can't really think of an incredibly good place for a XCX stage. The Lifehold Core, the climax of the thin plot, is boring aesthetically, NLA is another cityscape, Primordia is too much Gaur Plains, can't see anywhere else as much as I'd like Sylvalum, with a Xe-dom strolling around in the background.

I mean, X was out for a few months in Japam before Ultimate began deveopment and the game released overseas the month Ultimate started development, so Elma has a chance. I know Sakurai's picking from the ballot and all but i don't think he's exclusively picking from it.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, X was out for a few months in Japam before Ultimate began deveopment and the game released overseas the month Ultimate started development, so Elma has a chance. I know Sakurai's picking from the ballot and all but i don't think he's exclusively picking from it.

Didn't realize the timings were so close. That would've given XCX barely any time for fan reception to be formulated by fans and then received by Ninty. Guess it must all be pinned on the Wii U being a ship that, sadly, was put to water and immediately began to sink. Although without that sinking ship, SSBU would have not begun development until possibly years later I would think, and hence Elma would certainly have been skipped. At the least, I'm expecting a trophy of her as is. Maybe one or three XCX tracks (please no Black Tar).

Don't mistake me as a super-Elma fan, wishing for Rex to be snubbed, by the way. Not having actually started the maingame of XC2 yet, I just haven't developed a personal connection with them yet. Elma, I do like her overall, although I can see how she might be a little boring, and she runs into a bit of criticism at the end of the game.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:12 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Outside the life hold core would be a little more interesting as they could have a battle going on in the background. Alternatively I could see them having some kind of Mira tour showing off all the areas (I was really hoping that's how the Xenoblade 1 stage would be prior to SSB4's release). It's expansive world was one of the few things X was praised for, so I could see them wanting to make a stage out of it.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Johann said:

Am I the only one who wishes there weren't so many Mario grassland stages? Shame there's no Bowser's Castle stage after all these years.

We have had:

Spoiler
  1. Peach's Castle
  2. Mushroom Kingdom
  3. Mushroom Kingdom 2
  4. Mushroomy Kingdom
  5. Mushroom Kingdom U
  6. Princess Peach's Castle
  7. Rainbow Cruise
  8. Delfino Plaza
  9. Mario Bros.
  10. Mario Circuit (Brawl)
  11. Mario Circuit (4)
  12. Golden Plains
  13. 3D Land
  14. Luigi's Mansion
  15. Mario Galaxy
  16. Paper Mario
  17. Rainbow Road
  18. Wrecking Crew
  19. And I guess you can count Yoshi's Island (Melee)

18-19 stages, more if add in more Yoshi and possibly DK. Of these, I don't strictly see many grasslands, until more recently, as in 4. 

50 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Outside the life hold core would be a little more interesting as they could have a battle going on in the background. Alternatively I could see them having some kind of Mira tour showing off all the areas (I was really hoping that's how the Xenoblade 1 stage would be prior to SSB4's release). It's expansive world was one of the few things X was praised for, so I could see them wanting to make a stage out of it.

I would love that, it'd give meaning to the idea of a tour stage. Maybe put it on the back of the Zu Pharg (the head as a stage hazard?) with Smash-invented warp powers to change places quickly? Or some Skells can hold platforms and Wir Fliegen!

And please add some random weather potential.:

• Primordia in the night can have a possibility of Meteor Shower- no effect.
  • Chance of Energy Mist if you're in Noctilum at night- gradual heal for everyone.
  • Sylvalum can have Spores clouding parts of the stage in the day, moving slowly across it to change the affected areas- good luck figuring out where you are!
  • Oblivia gets Electromagnetic Storms in the day- gradual damage to all. 
  • Cauldros gets anytime Brimstone Fire- rather than gradual damage for all like the EM Storms, small brimstone pieces would rain on the stage, damage and knockback dealt if one comes into contact with them.
  • And NLA can have daytime Rainbows- no effect.

Alas! This to be too resource intensive and never to happen.

If Rex is added as DLC I hope he comes with a XC2 stage. I don't know what they would choose, but Ultimate is lacking in new stages thus far and Alrest has plenty of interesting locations to work with.

I think there's a chance we still have some unannounced new stages, but we probably won't see any more past stages returning (as there's no reason to not reveal them by now). I hope the reason Poké Floats isn't returning is because they're waiting to announce a "Poké Floats 2" alongside a Pokémon newcomer.

29 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I think there's a chance we still have some unannounced new stages, but we probably won't see any more past stages returning (as there's no reason to not reveal them by now). 

Agreed that not revealing returning stages would be a head scratcher. But I'm still hoping for Orbital Gate Assault. It was a very beautiful tour stage. It also represents a long lost era when Star Fox games weren't just remakes of 64, which itself was a remake of the original if you tilt your head sideways.

4 hours ago, Johann said:

Am I the only one who wishes there weren't so many Mario grassland stages? Shame there's no Bowser's Castle stage after all these years.

Mushroom Kingdom U stage has that one portion that Kamek sends fighters to temporarily that looks like a fortress level but yeah it is kind of a shame that Bowser (and Bowser Jr. I guess) don't have their own stage since Luigi, Peach and Rosalina all have a stage related to them.

I could see a Bowser's Castle stage being very hazardous with Dry Bones, Thwomps and Boom Boom attacking playing along with having lava underneath the platforms. Maybe even have a bridge on both sides of the stage where there is an axe and if a player hits the axe the bridge would collapse and anyone who was standing on it gets dunked into lava. Though I don't think we will be seeing a Bowser's Castle in this Smash iteration unfortunately since they would have most likely shown it off by now if it existed.

35 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Agreed that not revealing returning stages would be a head scratcher. But I'm still hoping for Orbital Gate Assault. It was a very beautiful tour stage. It also represents a long lost era when Star Fox games weren't just remakes of 64, which itself was a remake of the original if you tilt your head sideways.

I don't pay attention to the details of Smash U too much, but they aren't bringing OGA back? Why? Too much technical drain the Switch when online? Can't say I loved it, but better than Two Views of the Great Fox.

And Star Fox is classic Nintendo, but its genre isn't so big, and I think that is its issue. It can't sell well in the present age. This said, KI:U one might be able to call Assault's secret followup in ways. It has on rails shooter sections, and on-ground stuff as well, much better on-ground stuff than SFA had, with weapon diversity and nuance. I'd be fine if the franchises merged to create Star Icarus: Uprising Assault.

I say that as someone who liked SFA, despite the issues it had. It included traditional sci-fi narrative stuff with the Aparoids, with a hint of fear/darkness (for reasons, I've been recently reminded of Pigma). Nothing crazy dark or original, but I liked the tone, about as far as I'd want it to go as a Nintendo franchise. Never played Command, but the idea of ship variety sounded cool, even if wifi only supported the standard Arwing.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't pay attention to the details of Smash U too much, but they aren't bringing OGA back? Why? Too much technical drain the Switch when online? Can't say I loved it, but better than Two Views of the Great Fox.

And Star Fox is classic Nintendo, but its genre isn't so big, and I think that is its issue. It can't sell well in the present age. This said, KI:U one might be able to call Assault's secret followup in ways. It has on rails shooter sections, and on-ground stuff as well, much better on-ground stuff than SFA had, with weapon diversity and nuance. I'd be fine if the franchises merged to create Star Icarus: Uprising Assault.

I say that as someone who liked SFA, despite the issues it had. It included traditional sci-fi narrative stuff with the Aparoids, with a hint of fear/darkness (for reasons, I've been recently reminded of Pigma). Nothing crazy dark or original, but I liked the tone, about as far as I'd want it to go as a Nintendo franchise. Never played Command, but the idea of ship variety sounded cool, even if wifi only supported the standard Arwing.

Yeah, rail shooters are one of those arcade genres that can't really justify a 60 dollar price point in terms of sales. Assault only had on rails sequences in 4 out of 10 stages, or six if you count the gunner scenarios where Fox uses a giant laser on top of an arwing's wing. They could go straight all range mode in a new game and I wouldn't mind. It's more resource efficient to make a big environment you fly around and shoot down enemies and objectives. As opposed to making a long linear path of interesting environments you only go through once. You gotta make sure everything in that level looks great, so making less of a level with more things to do in it is always ideal for upping the play time of a single playthrough. Multiplayer is a tried and true answer to the Star Fox problem of not having enough content or replay ability, but Nintendo's irrational fear of online modes struck again with Star Fox Zero.

Command is pretty inoffensive and is worth a playthrough if you can get it cheap. The touch based control scheme is gimmicky and so is the turn based movement of your units toward enemies and objectives like some kind of tactical game. But it's easy to wrap your head around and very replayable. The multiple endings are goofy in a very Space Opera melodrama sort of way that fits the series perfectly. The best innovation is branching path decisions as part of the narrative. I love that a lot more for justifying what stage you end up going to next than the various criteria that are unknown to the player in the 64 style of game. In fact my joke-but-not-really-a-joke idea for a new star fox game is just "What if Mass Effect, but with furries?".

16 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

If Rex is added as DLC I hope he comes with a XC2 stage. I don't know what they would choose, but Ultimate is lacking in new stages thus far and Alrest has plenty of interesting locations to work with.

Mor Ardain, with Roaming the Wastes as an available theme.

Alternatively, the Cliffs of Morytha, with Ophion as a hazard.

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:28 AM, Johann said:

Shame there's no Bowser's Castle stage after all these years.

It's one of the transitions in the Paper Mario stage.

22 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't pay attention to the details of Smash U too much, but they aren't bringing OGA back? Why?

It's a bad stage, and I say this as a casual player.

12 hours ago, Jedi said:

I don't see this as much of a leak, as there's obviously going to be another Smash Direct between now and the release day of 7th December to keep the hype building, and early to mid November seems to be the best time for it.