Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

20 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

It's a bad stage, and I say this as a casual player.

I mean, they're bringing back Hanenbow, 75m, and Mario Bros. so I can't imagine that's it.

It's probably either too complex to rebuild for Ultimate, or would mess with Stage Morph too much.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

I mean, they're bringing back Hanenbow, 75m, and Mario Bros. so I can't imagine that's it.

It's probably either too complex to rebuild for Ultimate, or would mess with Stage Morph too much.

Get hype for Hanenbow-75M stage morph.

1 hour ago, Anomalocaris said:

I wouldn't say that either of those two are bad though. Mario Bros. is though.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Mmm, I suppose Orbital Gate had a few transitions where there weren't many places to stand. Arwings that swoop into the foreground to catch the fighters, but aren't something you can land on until they've finished the transition so it feels like you fell through them. Very tough stage for the recovery-inept characters.

Coupled with the Geno image being debunked:

and the creator coming out and admitting it: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77118331

Things are mostly back in alignment for Verg and the Box Leak. We'll probably be able to close things on the 8th:
https://gamingintel.com/nintendo/switch/leak-nintendo-direct-smash-bros-ultimate-direct-nov-5-12/
Since that's the date their source (who got the September Direct date) specified.

22 hours ago, Jedi said:

I like how it say this information has been "cross referenced with industrial insiders/leakers." as if there's some sort of secret cabal in the gaming industry that works to spill information to the public. I don't think this is a real leak though, it's more of a prediction based on past trends.

4 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

It's [OGA] probably either too complex to rebuild for Ultimate

too complex to rebuild for Ultimate

too complex

I.......don't think that's the case.

Interfering with Stage Morph might be more likely but we've already got transitioning stages anyway.

That said, i'm not 100% sure OGA would return.

55 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I.......don't think that's the case.

Interfering with Stage Morph might be more likely but we've already got transitioning stages anyway.

That said, i'm not 100% sure OGA would return.

OGA was one of the most complex stages ever created in Smash Bros.

It took them over a year to make it.

39 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

OGA was one of the most complex stages ever created in Smash Bros.

It took them over a year to make it.

But it's already made now. I don't think porting it to the new system would be all that difficult if they have all the assets and code still.

I've played plenty of SotN, but I can't quite identify this. 

*Finds the original version for comparison*

Quite different, unrecognizable at first hearing. Much more actiony now, I had "SRW" in my head with the remix, not to say it doesn't suit SotN (not like that really matters), as that original soundtrack has some rockin' numbers. I do like it, better suited for Smash.

2 hours ago, Dai said:

Oh, wow. Now this is different. It's good, but wow. It kind of reminds me of that haunted castle level from Sonic Heroes with the way it progresses.

Yeah the intro does remind me a little bit of Hang Castle.

Leak time! Apparently the whole Smash Ultimate roster leaked and i had to be extra careful.....until a friend pointed out that it looks fake as hell. And after looking at it myself, it really does look fake. I'll be debunking it here, in spoilers.

Spoiler

If you really don't want to see any leaks regardless of credibility, this is your last chance

Spoiler

uuYdr4t.jpg

First, let's get the obvious out of the way. As you can see, the leaker has smartly decided to reveal the leak at a blurry, 144p resolution for that sweet authenticity. Everyone knows a leak is real when the image looks like it was taken from a 2004 flip phone.

Secondly, that Banjo render looks mighty suspicious.

sHmhwCp.png

The supposed Banjo render looks very similar to ArtsyOmni's render. Kazooie's facing in different directions but Banjo looks the same. Of course, it's hard to tell with the glorious 144p resolution.

Thirdly, the leaked characters her are just too fan-favority. Sakurai's taking a look at the Smash Ballot yes, but here we see Shadow, Ken, Banjo, Mach Rider, Geno, Isaac and Chrous Kids.

Now, Shadow does have a legitamate chance, as does Isaac and Ken is just waiting to be confirmed but this feels like a wishlist. Also, Geno looks way too fucking small.

4th and final point against this leak

DqRt0KNW4AEnp5F.jpg

The top image is the latest poster while the bottom one is the original. The middle one is the leak. Some characters, especially Jigglypuff, have been moved pretty drastically. It's a fact that the characters are rearranged to make room for new ones but the changes aren't that big.

In conclusion, this leak is a pile of shit. That debunked leak with Agnes looked more real.

Spoiler

@Armagon Um, actually, the picture is patched together from a Snapchat video. The leaker is a guy who works as a graphics designer from a French company who has Bandai as a...what's the word? Client? Bandai, as we know, is working on Ultimate. He took it down immediately after presumably sending it to a friend.

The Banjo render is very similar to the Smashified one, but Kazooie is covering her face with her wing in the Smashified render, but isn't in the leaked one.

Shouldn't the fact that characters like Jigglypuff have been moved around actually be a point for the leak? As far as I can tell, this is the first time she has been fully visible.

At least, that's what I have gathered from Reddit.

Personally, I'm leaning more towards it being real, and if it is, ffs, poor Bandana Dee. I'm fine with it, I know a lot of people have been wanting Banjo and Geno for years.

But honestly, what peeves me off is, poor Sakurai. He really wanted to avoid leaks this time around, but now because some idiot wants five minutes of fame...

Edited by Lau

@Lau Since it is maaaaybe a major leak, you should probably put that all that into a spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah, i get that the guy works for a French graphic design company that has Namco as a client but that said, why would they have Smash stuff when it should be with Sora ltd? Namco is co-developing the game (i think), sure, but all of the artwork is coming from Sora ltd. There's no reason for this French graphic design company to have it because Namco isn't making, nor do they own the artwork.

As for Jigglypuff's placement, i'd agree.......if her placement wasn't so drastic. But she basically moved a whole section. Characters don't have that drastic changes in the poster.

As for Banjo, i already acknowledged that Kazooie looks different. But Banjo himself looks to similar to the ArtsyOmni render. A skilled graphic designer can find a different Kazooie render and merge it with the ArtsyOmin render.

And the most obvious point against it is the 144p resolution. Even if it's a video, it would've way been more credible if it was clearly visible.

Edit: None of it lines up with the way more credible Vergeben leak anyway.

Edited by Armagon

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

@Lau Since it is maaaaybe a major leak, you should probably put that all that into a spoiler

Hide contents

Yeah, i get that the guy works for a French graphic design company that has Namco as a client but that said, why would they have Smash stuff when it should be with Sora ltd? Namco is co-developing the game (i think), sure, but all of the artwork is coming from Sora ltd. There's no reason for this French graphic design company to have it because Namco isn't making, nor do they own the artwork.

As for Jigglypuff's placement, i'd agree.......if her placement wasn't so drastic. But she basically moved a whole section. Characters don't have that drastic changes in the poster.

As for Banjo, i already acknowledged that Kazooie looks different. But Banjo himself looks to similar to the ArtsyOmni render. A skilled graphic designer can find a different Kazooie render and merge it with the ArtsyOmin render.

And the most obvious point against it is the 144p resolution. Even if it's a video, it would've way been more credible if it was clearly visible.

Edit: None of it lines up with the way more credible Vergeben leak anyway.

Shit, sorry, edited it.

Spoiler

I can definitely understand why you don't believe this leak, don't get me wrong. It just reminds me too much of the ESRB leak from the Smash 4 days.

As for Vergeben, it's possible he could have received outdated information, just like the Gematsu leak.

At this point, we can only wait and see. If one of these characters get revealed  and the pose matches, we'll know it's true.

Out of curiosity, what do you think about these potential newcomers?

5 minutes ago, Lau said:

Shit, sorry, edited it.

Hide contents

I can definitely understand why you don't believe this leak, don't get me wrong. It just reminds me too much of the ESRB leak from the Smash 4 days.

As for Vergeben, it's possible he could have received outdated information, just like the Gematsu leak.

At this point, we can only wait and see. If one of these characters get revealed  and the pose matches, we'll know it's true.

Out of curiosity, what do you think about these potential newcomers?

Spoiler

The thing about the ESRB leak was that it had actual gameplay footage. That and the videos and images were at least at 480p.

As for these potential newcomers, i already expect Shadow, Ken and Isaac. Isaac has been one of my most wanted characters for a while, actually. Banjo would be cool and i'm indifferent to Geno and the Chorus Kids.

Edited by Armagon

Spoiler

I'm about 75% on the side of fake for this.

• Blurry as all hell
  • 5 unique newcomers with 1 month to go before release.
  • Suspiciously specific hardcore fan favorites. The main difference between this and the ESRB leak is that no one wanted the ESRB leak to be true. It was disappointing. Many people like this. Too many.

Personally, the only characters on this I actually expect to see in are Ken and Shadow.

So it's supposedly from a graphic designer showing his friend something? If I was that friend I'd respond: Why'd you take this picture from inside a washing machine? What am I supposed to be looking at here?" That context where you've gotta look at every corner of the pictures to see which one is off feels so...unlike how people would reasonably talk to each other.

I'm 50-50 on this one, it could be plausible, some of the choices are very Sakurai, but we need only wait for the next direct and see the poses of any revealed characters, if they match up 1-to-1 then I think that seals it. 

The reactions to this are heavily reminding me of the ESB Leak.