Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

Meanwhile, in the worst timeline:

I don't think this is guaranteed. I don't know how people would react. It seems a little out there for another console publisher to be involved, but you never know with Sakurai.

(For those as confused as I was, Steve is the default name for Minecraft Guy)

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Something that has started a commotion but may end up being nothing

DnktEDeU0AEuZsX?format=jpg

Appearently, Kingdom Hearts' producer responded positively to a "Sora for Smash" post. He later deleted the Tweet. 

Is Sora actually coming or did he delete the Tweet to prevent false hope? Or did this mean aboslutely nothing in the first place.

OMFG. I would die to have Sora in this Game!!! Its probably too good to be true though. Then again Normua did say he may consider bringing KH3 to the Switch. And with Final Fantasy being ported to the Switch, maybe? For now I'm gonna say that its too good to be true.. 

7 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

I’m bearish on this one. This could easily just him being positive about the idea of Sora in Smash rather than an indirect (direct?) confirmation. Plus Sora just opens up a whole new can of worms as not only does Nintendo have to get permission from the notoriously tight ass Square Enix, but also Disney who I’d think would make SE look generous in comparison. 

I remember reading the development of Ralph Breaks the Internet they said that they and Nintendo are apparently on good terms. So I'm not sure if they would be as tight as Square Enix when it comes to Sora.

Disney and Nintendo did do that family-themed Switch-focused gameshow earlier this year, and at least one of the Smash 4 EVO finals were broadcast in Disney XD; they have an existent connection.

Ultimately, I feel like the most likely thing is the producer tweeted "yes" meaning "yes I'd love this" then realized "oh this can be misconstrued and I probably shouldn't have said anything to begin with" and quickly deleted it.

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

Meanwhile, in the worst timeline:

I don't think this is guaranteed. I don't know how people would react. It seems a little out there for another console publisher to be involved, but you never know with Sakurai.

(For those as confused as I was, Steve is the default name for Minecraft Guy)

Minecraft, Fortnite, and other games supporting cross-platform play have had advertisements emphasizing both Nintendo and Microsoft; in addition, Minecraft is the second most prolific game in history behind only Tetris. I don't think it's exactly out there for this to happen.

I do think at this point a lot of these rumors would be more likely as DLC (Sora, Steve, the Granblue stuff).

Whoa, I just uncovered a repressed memory from the day I tried out the demo. There was a dude in front of us with an Isabelle body pillow. But she had only been announced for Smash just three days prior! Did he scour the world for the sake of that joke? Or was he pre-equipped?

I don't think this particular picture has been posted yet, so I'll post it in spoilers.

UGDAjSQ.jpg

I know that most people will quickly jump on the "it's fake/photoshopped" bandwagon when it comes to pictures like this, but at the very least, you might want to listen to this Gamexplain video to see both the positive/negative points this leaked picture has going for/against it.

1 hour ago, Randoman said:

I don't think this particular picture has been posted yet, so I'll post it in spoilers.

Reveal hidden contents

UGDAjSQ.jpg

I know that most people will quickly jump on the "it's fake/photoshopped" bandwagon when it comes to pictures like this, but at the very least, you might want to listen to this Gamexplain video to see both the positive/negative points this leaked picture has going for/against it.

Honestly, it seems real.

>We've never seen Moray Towers from that angle and without ink

>Ken's portrait fading out is because Pac-Man is near it, something that happens in footage we've seen
>Pichu's icon clipping off his ear while it doesn't in the footage we've seen can easily be explained by renders and portraits changing over time; for instance, Ridley's has changed a fair bit between E3 footage and that Metroid VS FE video
>We've seen rough looking images like that of veterans; for instance, here's a shot of Ryu from the site:
ss_6.jpg
(plus, Ken's 3D appearances have historically been sub-par

Even though he's likely in regardless, I'm on team real.

EDIT: to add onto things:

Pichu's ears are clipped off at slightly different places and it seems to be using the earlier artwork. This is getting realer by the minute.

double EDIT: and another thing: bJDPLoB.jpg

Used the sprite shown at E3 with a couple less pixels on the left ear, instead of the Smash 4 one that matches up perfectly with the original

Edited by The DanMan

1 hour ago, Randoman said:

Reveal hidden contents

UGDAjSQ.jpg

Spoiler

While it looks pretty real, i'm not fully onboard as the last time a leak came out with an insane amount of detail to it, it turned out to be fake. Yes, i'm refering to the Rayman leak.

I have no doubt about Ken being in the game, i just have some lingering doubts about this leak.

Been hearing a lot of speculation/rumors about Minecraft representation. Where my head's at, I'm thinking yes to a Minecraft stage with those sorts of enemies, but no to a playable character. The Rathalos thing shows us that a playable guest character is not required for a guest series to get represented at all. I dunno if there's anything in Minecraft that qualifies as a boss, but hey if there's an adventure mode of some kind I'm willing to bet on creepers showing up as enemies. You gotta knock them away from you to avoid their explosion once they start ticking. And said explosion can harm other enemies in the area. That'd fit right in with Subspace Emissary's enemy designs. 

Boy would I like to beat up some classic video game enemies. Hope this "Sports" mode is what I'm looking for.

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Been hearing a lot of speculation/rumors about Minecraft representation. Where my head's at, I'm thinking yes to a Minecraft stage with those sorts of enemies, but no to a playable character. The Rathalos thing shows us that a playable guest character is not required for a guest series to get represented at all. I dunno if there's anything in Minecraft that qualifies as a boss, but hey if there's an adventure mode of some kind I'm willing to bet on creepers showing up as enemies. You gotta knock them away from you to avoid their explosion once they start ticking. And said explosion can harm other enemies in the area. That'd fit right in with Subspace Emissary's enemy designs. 

Boy would I like to beat up some classic video game enemies. Hope this "Sports" mode is what I'm looking for.

Agreed, Minecraft is definitely better represented as a stage than character, in the same way that Super Mario Maker representation works better as a stage than some kind of Mario echo.

17 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

The Ender Dragon and Wither are possible bosses, since they're actual bosses in vanilla Minecraft. Of course, they could also add the infamous Herobrine as a boss as a nice reference to one of the major icons of Minecraft (that doesn't actually exist in any unmodded version of minecraft). As for a stage, any biome could be a stage. 

As for Steve as a character, I don't really mind if he does get into Smash as a character. He isn't a character that I desperately want by any stretch of the imagination.

So 3 days ago, there were some more leaked details from LaPailleDor, the same guy who correctly guessed Chrom, King K. Rool, Richter, and Simon as playable characters, as well as Dracula as a boss and Stage Morph being a new addition.

The new update from him is as follows:

4 minutes ago, Randoman said:

On September 22nd, 2018, LaPailleDor made a thread on 4chan, proving his identity and claiming that the mod lied about the leak being fake. He went on to state:

• Skull Kid, Medusa from Kid Icarus, Ayumi Tachibana, Ninten from EarthBound Beginnings, and Reimu Hakurei from Touhou Project are all playable fighters.
  • 0² (albeit referred as "Zero-Two") from Kirby and Kyurem from Pokemon are all bosses.
  • There is new version of Poke Floats stage with more Pokemon.
  • The ability to change the design of Battlefield, Big Battlefield and Final Destination stages to the designs from Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, for 3DS/Wii U, and Ultimate has been added.

What do you guys think?

Mostly everything from his Sept. 22 post, as well as the unconfirmed elements from his July 12 post seem to check out. The only glaring exception to that is Reimu being playable.

As for the ability to change the design of Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and Final Destination, I'll admit, that does seem kind of out of left field. But at the same time, that's something I can easily imagine Sakurai doing, since he really tries hard to implement tributes to past games and such.

Edited by Randoman

Touhou? That in itself makes it sound incredibly fake, how popular can a one-man bullet hell be?

And Ninten is sooooo much like Ness visually, that he wouldn't even work as a clone. And who asked for him? He isn't nostalgic to the West, and how much could he generate in Japan? There are much much much better JRPG options they could add.

Zero Two is another oddity. Other than fans shouting him to say "KIRBY IS DARK!", I don't see the appeal. Bloody tears won't get him anywhere.

Kyurem? Why something from Gen 5? Is the ice chicken that popular? Why not something more recent?

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Kyurem? Why something from Gen 5? Is the ice chicken that popular? Why not something more recent?

I too would consider it an odd choice especially considering Kyurem was already in a Pokéball in Smash 4, and they scaled it fairly small as well. And no, it isn’t popular. If anything, it started the trend of having lame third box legendary Pokémon.  

If Pokémon boss would happen, I’d think good candidates would be Yveltal (how cool would it be to fight against the Pokémon of death?), Zygarde in its 100% form, Ultra (or regular... I guess) Necrozma to further represent the most relevant generation. Hell, I’m fine with Rayquaza having an encore! 

7 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

I too would consider it an odd choice especially considering Kyurem was already in a Pokéball in Smash 4, and they scaled it fairly small as well. And no, it isn’t popular. If anything, it started the trend of having lame third box legendary Pokémon.  

If Pokémon boss would happen, I’d think good candidates would be Yveltal (how cool would it be to fight against the Pokémon of death?), Zygarde in its 100% form, Ultra (or regular... I guess) Necrozma to further represent the most relevant generation. Hell, I’m fine with Rayquaza having an encore! 

Can you really call it a trend if X/Y had no third version (this Zygarde obviously had to be the third, but it never got its day- right? I stopped playing after B/W), and there only being Ultra Sun and Moon since? Unless Zygarde even without a dedicated game counts and you consider him and Necrozma both bad. I think three is needed for a trend, two doesn't cut it for me.

I'd consider Suicune to be a pretty poor third box legendary. It isn't an equal, nor a master to the other duo, rather it's only a servant to one of the other box legendaries. And while Suicune is officially Water type, its Ice affinity from the north wind/aurora makes it coincidentally like Kyurem whom you consider lame. I like Suicune and it and Crystal version being what they are, but its lack of lore strength isn't good for the box legendary image.

Although to be fair, did Game Freak think it through when making Gold and Silver of having a Crystal? Clearly with subsequent generations, you can see them laying the groundwork for a third version, like Rayquaza wasn't so strong-looking with an anti-Groudon/Kyogre ability to not be an indicator? I'm not sure this was the case with Gen 2 though, there is only Ho-Oh, Lugia, the beast trio, and Celebi. They should've used Celebi as the box legendary, but for some reason, cute mascot Pokes don't count I guess. What'd they call it? I don't know. Pokemon Peridot? 

2 hours ago, Randoman said:

So 3 days ago, there were some more leaked details from LaPailleDor, the same guy who correctly guessed Chrom, King K. Rool, Richter, and Simon as playable characters, as well as Dracula as a boss and Stage Morph being a new addition.

What do you guys think?

Mostly everything from his Sept. 22 post, as well as the unconfirmed elements from his July 12 post seem to check out. The only glaring exception to that is Reimu being playable.

As for the ability to change the design of Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and Final Destination, I'll admit, that does seem kind of out of left field. But at the same time, that's something I can easily imagine Sakurai doing, since he really tries hard to implement tributes to past games and such.

Eh I dunno. I could honestly see all of that except for the Touhou thing, and that makes it seem kinda dubious to me.

37 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Can you really call it a trend if X/Y had no third version (this Zygarde obviously had to be the third, but it never got its day- right? I stopped playing after B/W), and there only being Ultra Sun and Moon since? Unless Zygarde even without a dedicated game counts and you consider him and Necrozma both bad. I think three is needed for a trend, two doesn't cut it for me.

I'd consider Suicune to be a pretty poor third box legendary. It isn't an equal, nor a master to the other duo, rather it's only a servant to one of the other box legendaries. And while Suicune is officially Water type, its Ice affinity from the north wind/aurora makes it coincidentally like Kyurem whom you consider lame. I like Suicune and it and Crystal version being what they are, but its lack of lore strength isn't good for the box legendary image.

Although to be fair, did Game Freak think it through when making Gold and Silver of having a Crystal? Clearly with subsequent generations, you can see them laying the groundwork for a third version, like Rayquaza wasn't so strong-looking with an anti-Groudon/Kyogre ability to not be an indicator? I'm not sure this was the case with Gen 2 though, there is only Ho-Oh, Lugia, the beast trio, and Celebi. They should've used Celebi as the box legendary, but for some reason, cute mascot Pokes don't count I guess. What'd they call it? I don't know. Pokemon Peridot? 

Zygarde no doubt would’ve been the star of the third version should it have been made, which it didn’t for some reason. Gen 6 was so short, kinda a shame really. So yes, it’s a trend in my book. 

Suicune is kinda an oddity as it’s part of its own trio rather than being tied to Ho-oh and Lugia. I do let it slide because although it’s not particularly powerful, it was the first attempt of having all the Pokémon on the box be of some importance, and since legendary box trios didn’t yet exist I’m willing to give it a pass. It also helps that I personally really like Suicune so I’m naturally much more forgiving. 

I hope I’m not straying too far from the topic at hand though. To slightly bring the conversation back to the relevant topic, I do consider the leak to be absolutely bogus. 

3 hours ago, Randoman said:

What do you guys think?

Skull Kid is an expected guess and Ayumi would be the retro character, since we have yet to see what Ultimate's retro character is. Medusa is iffy because she's always depicted as the size of a mountain whereas Palutena has been shown to be human sized. The "too big" joke actually makes sense here. 

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Touhou? That in itself makes it sound incredibly fake, how popular can a one-man bullet hell be?

Oh you have no idea. I'm not even a Touhou fan but i hear it is incredibly popular in Japan and that's not counting the JoJokes.

But i agree. Reimu being in Smash is just so odd. Touhu is literally developed by one guy, it's not really a company being represented here. I believe that every video game character has a base 1% chance of being in Smash and certain factors increase said chance. While it's super popular in Japan, i think there's only like a 5-10% chance of having Touhu representation in Smash.

As for the rest.....eh. Ninten just seems like a given. Kyruem and 02 being bosses could work (i mean, we haven't seen Kyurem emerge from a Pokeball in Ultimate).

Changing the designs of Battlefield and FD is iffy but it'd be nice fanservice.

--------------------------------

All these leaks and none mention new Xenoblade characters, i'm upset.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Skull Kid is an expected guess and Ayumi would be the retro character, since we have yet to see what Ultimate's retro character is. Medusa is iffy because she's always depicted as the size of a mountain whereas Palutena has been shown to be human sized. The "too big" joke actually makes sense here. 

Why can't they downsize her? M-A-G-I-C exists! She has the power and chooses to be colossal because it's intimidating and works for her world domination/revenge plans. Palutena just funnels all her power into Pit instead of going giant. Sounds feasible to me. And downsized, she would work as a Palutena semi-clone, with gorgon head being brought out for the Final Smash. Sakurai wouldn't object to inserting this explanation into Smash for a little favoritism towards his adopted child (Kirby being his natural child).

3 hours ago, Randoman said:

What do you guys think?

I think more people would prefer Hades over Medusa, but she could make for a good echo for Palutena. Especially if they give her Palutena's specials from 4 that weren't ported over to Ultimate. That could be really interesting, an Echo that has no original special moves, but still doesn't share any special moves with the character she's based on.

18 minutes ago, Jedi said:

The new remix is of Steven's Champion theme 

About damn time they covered this! Very impressed too. I’m glad it wasn’t meh like Cynthia’s (man that really let me down).