Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

36 minutes ago, Aura Of Twilight said:

I realize it's probably very unlikely, but if I had to choose which Xenoblade rep we get in Smash (assuming we get one), I'd want Jin and Lora over Rex and Pyra. Elma wouldn't be bad either though. 

Yeah, that probably won't happen. Though for a Golden Country rep, someone did suggest having Addam and Mythra as Echo Fighters of Rex and Pyra. It could easily work but i doubt it'll happen. I don't know when Golden Country started development but it was definitley after Ultimate started it's development.

Maybe we'll get music though. That Golden Country battle theme is amazing.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/3/2018 at 12:04 PM, Armagon said:

Yeah, that probably won't happen. Though for a Golden Country rep, someone did suggest having Addam and Mythra as Echo Fighters of Rex and Pyra. It could easily work but i doubt it'll happen. I don't know when Golden Country started development but it was definitley after Ultimate started it's development.

Maybe we'll get music though. That Golden Country battle theme is amazing.

It won't happen for the base roster, but could possibly happen for DLC. 

New leak, originating from SmashBoards, about two new characters being revealed in a normal Nintendo Direct

DmRfRN3UcAEvJDn?format=jpg

DmRfRN2U0AAAiDw?format=jpg

It's pretty detailed but there's one thing that kills the leak and it actually doesn't have to do with Smash.

DmRfRN3U8AAtdYC?format=jpg

Leaker claims that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is getting new DLC tracks. Which is cool and all except there is one fatal mistake here: he only lists two. It is a fact of nature that Mario Kart tracks come in sets of four. No more, no less. Always four. 

This was a well constructed leak but that one fatal mistake destroyed everything.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Leaker claims that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is getting new DLC tracks. Which is cool and all except there is one fatal mistake here: he only lists two. It is a fact of nature that Mario Kart tracks come in sets of four. No more, no less. Always four. 

This was a well constructed leak but that one fatal mistake destroyed everything.

Watch it somehow be the one to buck the trend and make it actually legit, though.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

New leak, originating from SmashBoards, about two new characters being revealed in a normal Nintendo Direct

DmRfRN3UcAEvJDn?format=jpg

DmRfRN2U0AAAiDw?format=jpg

It's pretty detailed but there's one thing that kills the leak and it actually doesn't have to do with Smash.

DmRfRN3U8AAtdYC?format=jpg

nintendo online exclusive alts is what killed it more for me, because it seems redundant, the odds of you having nintendo online and smash bros are astronomical and I imagine that nintendo would rather sell them to players outright or just include them in the base game as a bonus.

also for the top one, I doubt they would reference that picture in a trailer, that would be like for a black knight reveal having him get out of the throne in castle siege, I just dont think it is a reference that sakurai would care to make.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

Speaking of music remixes, Sakurai's latest Famitsu column discussed the process of how music and arrangements are added.

Something worthy of note is that Sakurai let the composers choose the arrangements they wanted to make, which is why some series have more remixes than others. Fire Emblem apparently has a "surprisingly large" number of tracks because of one person in particular.

4 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Speaking of music remixes, Sakurai's latest Famitsu column discussed the process of how music and arrangements are added.

Something worthy of note is that Sakurai let the composers choose the arrangements they wanted to make, which is why some series have more remixes than others. Fire Emblem apparently has a "surprisingly large" number of tracks because of one person in particular.

By "suprisingly large", does that mean there's a lot of Fire Emblem remixs or just a lot of Fire Emblem songs in general? Either way, i'm hoping for Twilight of the Gods but more importantly, Fiaa Emberum.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

By "suprisingly large", does that mean there's a lot of Fire Emblem remixs or just a lot of Fire Emblem songs in general? Either way, i'm hoping for Twilight of the Gods but more importantly, Fiaa Emberum.

Considering the context

Since I prioritized the composers’ requests, there was a little bit of imbalance and overlapping, but I thought it was best to have them arrange music that they liked. This time, the Castlevania and Mega Man series were both very popular, so there are a lot of new arrangements. Fire Emblem also received a surprisingly large number of tracks thanks to one person in particular.

I think it means a lot of Fire Emblem remixes.

Interesting bit about that Famitsu article is where Sakurai talks about reducing the amount of songs that "don't finish Smash". He specficially refered to the times when a Grand Finals would take place on Smashville and how the songs there (specifically mentioned The Roost) didn't really give the feel of a tense Grand Finals.

See, even Sakurai knows that a Grand Finals taking place on Smashville/Town and City is the most boring thing.

So it turns out there’s a Nintendo Direct coming tomorrow. I find it kinda funny considering we got a presumably fake leak about one a couple days ago. Will a Smash character be shown? I think so, just no actual info on the game itself.

I think A character reveal trailer at the tail end of the nintendo direct is one of the safest bets you can make, though of course still not guaranteed since Nintendo Directs are inherently unpredictable.

I think such a character will be

-A nintendo character. Save the guests for bigger events like E3 or dedicated smash directs.

-Not an echo, and in fact no Echo will be revealed unless as a tease because they somehow relate to the newcomer - like Dark Pit showing up in Palutena's trailer.

-The gameplay footage for this character will further stir the pot on speculation of what the Mystery Mode will be. Like seeing them defeat an enemy or another boss in a stage we've never seen before.

My first guess at this point is a xenoblade character- since xenoblade expansion feels like the second most likely topic for the Direct itself so it would be topical at least. But it all hinges on whether they made a character for the base roster of this game which I'm not yet convinced of. Second guess is BANDANNA DEE BAYBEE. Like we'd even need an excuse for a fourth kirby character. Let's gooooooo

1 hour ago, Dai said:

132_2.jpg
Let us take a moment to appreciate just how intense Final Destination looks.

Huh. I just noticed that the big spike in the background kinda makes FD resemble the Smash logo.

If we do get a newcomer in tomorrow's whenever's Direct then I get the feeling it will be a new Pokémon. Don't know why, just a hunch. They'll probably want to save the introduction of a new series for a dedicated Smash Bros. Direct so they can give it proper attention, like what happened with Castlevania. Remembering Smash 4's newcomers

• Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer were announced at E3 2013
  • Rosalina and Little Mac were announced in general Directs
  • Greninja was announced in a dedicated Smash Bros. Direct
  • Mii Fighters, Palutena, and Pac-Man were announced at E3 2014
  • Robin and Lucina were announced in a "special broadcast" (not attached to any Direct)
  • Shulk was announced in a general (and Japan only) Direct, and was the last newcomer announced before for 3DS was released
  • Bowser Jr. was announced in a general Direct
  • Duck Hunt (and Mewtwo) was announced in the 50 Fact Extravaganza

This doesn't really mean anything for Ultimate but it's nice to think about. I think we'll get another Smash Bros. Direct shortly before release so they can highlight the secret mode and reveal the remaining characters. And bring back Snake's codecs too please.

Edited by Lightchao42

7 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

So it turns out there’s a Nintendo Direct coming tomorrow. I find it kinda funny considering we got a presumably fake leak about one a couple days ago. Will a Smash character be shown? I think so, just no actual info on the game itself.

I think we'll get online info, considering this is the direct Ninty has to sell their online.

5 hours ago, Dai said:

Let us take a moment to appreciate just how intense Final Destination looks.

Looks very Monado to me. Greenish-blue and white ring of light with brightish-dark solid red part. Shulk must be capable of secretly placing the stage under the effects of the Monado Arts.

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎05 at 9:20 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Looks very Monado to me. Greenish-blue and white ring of light with brightish-dark solid red part. Shulk must be capable of secretly placing the stage under the effects of the Monado Arts.

Really? Because the dark purple and pinkish-red Tron lines reminds me of The Twilight Ream in Twilight Princess. It almost makes me wonder if Zant will be a stage boss. 

7 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Really? Because the dark purple and pinkish-red Tron lines reminds me of The Twilight Ream in Twilight Princess. It almost makes me wonder if Zant will be a stage boss. 

Hmm, maybe a little, but... FD has too much red compared to the Twilight Realm. Though the debris in the background is adding to the effect... Whoa...

The "half buried" ring, even though it's mostly energy, reminds me of Oblivia from XCX.