Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

Do you work? Everyone gets down time. Hell, with the amount of dedication he would need for everything else, he could easily come in on an off day to do something like this.

Yeah, but would he even be allowed to use company resources in order to fake this?

Now, if he brought in his own resources during down time, it would be a different story.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, but would he even be allowed to use company resources in order to fake this?

Now, if he brought in his own resources during down time, it would be a different story.

59 minutes ago, Florete said:

Or he could have just ponied up the necessary cash and everyone in the work place would let him do his thing without giving a shit.

Depending on how lenient the company is and your reputation there they might even just let you do it for free. Somehow I don't think any of the people talking about it know what it's like to work for this company. Seeing people say things like, "He would have been seen doing it!" just makes me think, "So what?"

For the record, though, I'm actually on team real for this leak, so this whole issue doesn't matter to me anyway.

8 minutes ago, Florete said:

Do you work? Everyone gets down time. Hell, with the amount of dedication he would need for everything else, he could easily come in on an off day to do something like this.

Letting employees have breaks is one thing, but knowingly allowing their space to be for the grounds of an elaborate hoax in a professional environment is another.

Plus, if this was indeed a “just a prank bro”, the company would have made a statement by now rather than keeping mum. This is what the company of the former employee ended up doing. 

9 minutes ago, Florete said:

Still, doing something like that could make you company look incompetent. It would be too risky for others to work with them in the future. 

Not to mention the complete silence coming from the company, as well as the deleted video in the link to Reddit I provided.

2 minutes ago, SilvertheShadow said:

Letting employees have breaks is one thing, but knowingly allowing their space to be for the grounds of an elaborate hoax in a professional environment is another.

Plus, if this was indeed a “just a prank bro”, the company would have made a statement by now rather than keeping mum. This is what the company of the former employee ended up doing. 

They very likely would not have known it was for an elaborate hoax.

I agree with this second part. As I stated above, I actually think the leak is real. Just that this is a bad argument.

Its the Banjo and Kazooie part that makes me really hesitant to believe this leak. They aren't Nintendo characters anymore and Nintendo doesn't gain anything by putting them into Smash. Nintendo helping to re-popularize the characters only for Microsoft to reap the benefits of that sounds incredibly doubtful to me. Its free marketing for the competition and that doesn't strike me as something an arrogant company as Nintendo would do. 

Sonic and Bayoneta weren't Nintendo characters either but at least their games can by played at Nintendo consoles. 

7 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its the Banjo and Kazooie part that makes me really hesitant to believe this leak. They aren't Nintendo characters anymore and Nintendo doesn't gain anything by putting them into Smash. Nintendo helping to re-popularize the characters only for Microsoft to reap the benefits of that sounds incredibly doubtful to me. Its free marketing for the competition and that doesn't strike me as something an arrogant company as Nintendo would do. 

Sonic and Bayoneta weren't Nintendo characters either but at least their games can by played at Nintendo consoles. 

Cloud.

Banjo-Kazooie could end up on the speculated N64 classic, which would make the character at least more profitable for Nintendo than Cloud.

I know people are putting stuff in spoilers and all, but may I propose that we make a separate topic to talk about leak stuff? I feel like it's gotten prevalent enough to warrant its own topic. Of course, feel free to tell me otherwise; I just felt like some other people might be getting tired of this leak talk.

26 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

What @Florete said. I mentioned a few pages back that Nintendo's probably been talking to Microsoft about the development of the N64 Classic. With so many of that console's biggest games being Rare games, and Nintendo really only having complete rights to Donkey Kong 64(Nintendo wouldn't even be able to put Diddy Kong Racing on the N64 Classic without dealing with Microsoft), it'd be a pretty big no brainer for Banjo to come up, and his inclusion in Smash being part of a deal.

Plus, there are tons of people who were introduced to Nintendo through Banjo. If Nintendo thought Cloud was enough of a get, Banjo's definitely enough of a get, considering that was a mascot that defined an entire generation of Nintendo games for a lot of people. I would be surprised if Banjo wasn't the most requested Smash character of all time. Getting Banjo would be huge.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Ashen Jedi said:

There is also the whole Nintendo and Microsoft being more friendly of late deal.

I have a feeling it was just a publicity stunt to make Sony look bad during the Minecraft/Fortnite cross-play controversy, taking advantage of the situation as a chance to get a head of their mutual competitor. I'm not sure that's necessarily the start of a massive first-party collaboration project. While some could argue cross-play is a pretty big deal, but I don't think it automatically means that Banjo is coming Smash Bros. and that Samus will make a cameo in Halo: Infinite.

I just remembered something, thanks to some one on Reddit

If you recall there was an earthquake in Japan right before the direct, and they had to edit the direct. So we might have had multiple character reveals

Apologies for my absence last week. The earthquake in eastern Iburi, Hokkaido put a hold on the Nintendo Direct, as we could no longer use the original draft we had prepared.    

Edited by Captain Karnage

10 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

I just remembered something, thanks to some one on Reddit

If you recall there was an earthquake in Japan right before the direct, and they had to edit the direct. So we might have had multiple character reveals

Right, so it turns out Sakurai might have actually been refering to the Famitsu article rather than the Direct. Accoeding to Source Gaming

DqoOTQ3WsAIRtd6?format=jpg

Plus, i don't think they editied the Direct since they showed off some stuff that was clearly meant to be shown the weak prior. Like FFXV Pocket coming to Switch, for example.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Plus, i don't think they editied the Direct since they showed off some stuff that was clearly meant to be shown the weak prior. Like FFXV Pocket coming to Switch, for example.

I think the direct was suppose to start off with the Isabel trailer, and SE probably didn't care

I think Issac's trailer might have had something to do with an earthquake (I haven't played Golden Sun in +10 years)

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Right, so it turns out Sakurai might have actually been refering to the Famitsu article rather than the Direct. Accoeding to Source Gaming

He probably had another trailer planned to be presented, and having to delay it is what might have caused him to scrap it.

2 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I have a feeling it was just a publicity stunt to make Sony look bad during the Minecraft/Fortnite cross-play controversy, taking advantage of the situation as a chance to get a head of their mutual competitor. I'm not sure that's necessarily the start of a massive first-party collaboration project. While some could argue cross-play is a pretty big deal, but I don't think it automatically means that Banjo is coming Smash Bros. and that Samus will make a cameo in Halo: Infinite.

However, with the N64 classic trademarked and in the works, a working relationship with Microsoft may be in their best interest. The N64 was known primarily for a select few iconic games, and a whopping four of those were Rare titles (Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, DK64, and Golden Eye), and at least one, if not all four of these, will be absolutely essential to the N64 Classic's library. B&K could be an excellent marketing tool for the N64 classic, and thus worth the inclusion. 

18 minutes ago, Etheus said:

However, with the N64 classic trademarked and in the works, a working relationship with Microsoft may be in their best interest. The N64 was known primarily for a select few iconic games, and a whopping four of those were Rare titles (Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, DK64, and Golden Eye), and at least one, if not all four of these, will be absolutely essential to the N64 Classic's library. B&K could be an excellent marketing tool for the N64 classic, and thus worth the inclusion. 

They're not gonna get Golden Eye, since neither Microsoft or Nintendo owns the rights. 

Microsoft, does, however, own the rights to Perfect Dark, which is just almost objectively a better Rare FPS on all fronts. Swapping out Golden Eye for Perfect Dark would be a much easier, and honestly better, choice. It would also require M$'s permission. 

Like I said, DK64 is the only Rare game Nintendo could use for the N64 Classic. A big problem when so many iconic N64 games(On top of those mentioned, Diddy Kong Racing featuring Conker and Banjo would be out, and Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corp, Conker and Killer Instinct) are now owned by Microsoft. 

An N64 Classic without Rare would be... 

Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time+Majora's Mask, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros, Star Fox 64, Paper Mario and Donkey Kong 64. Maybe Kirby 64, Wave Race, Mischief Makers, and a Mario Party if they're super out of ideas. And then 1080 Snowboarding? Snowboard Kids? Chameleon Twist? There's really fewer than 10 HUGE N64 games they can realistically use without Microsoft's say-so. When the previous Classics were at about 20, it'd be a stretch to get there. 

The timing of Smash and the N64 Classic is the biggest reason I've been expecting Banjo. 

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

The timing of Smash and the N64 Classic is the biggest reason I've been expecting Banjo. 

There hasn't been an N64 classic announced. Certainly no time left to market one now this year. Maybe next year. I suspect they held off this year due to not having the usual lack of high profile products for the winter. The wombo combo of Smash and Pokemon should sate their bank accounts, even if it doesn't make up for the drought of 2018's first half.

I do think they'll be in contact with Rare/Microsoft for such a project however. But not for Perfect Dark. One M rated game makes the whole produce M rated. Nintendo wouldn't dare have that game. Nor the balls for Conker. Banjo just feels very synonymous with N64 that I suspect they'd go for it as readily as they went for Super Castlevania or any other third party stuff they did for the last two. Not like they'll have to do too many third party negotiations when it comes to an N64 library, lol...

Edited by Glennstavos

21 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

There hasn't been an N64 classic announced. Certainly no time left to market one now this year. Maybe next year. I suspect they held off this year due to not having the usual lack of high profile products for the winter. The wombo combo of Smash and Pokemon should sate their bank accounts, even if it doesn't make up for the drought of 2018's first half.

I do think they'll be in contact with Rare/Microsoft for such a project however. But not for Perfect Dark. One M rated game makes the whole produce M rated. Nintendo wouldn't dare have that game. Nor the balls for Conker. Banjo just feels very synonymous with N64 that I suspect they'd go for it as readily as they went for Super Castlevania or any other third party stuff they did for the last two. Not like they'll have to do too many third party negotiations when it comes to an N64 library, lol...

They've trademarked it, and the time frame between the NES Classic and SNES Classic makes me think we'll probably he hearing about it soon. 

I agree that it probably won't come out this year, but I'd reckon early-to-mid 2019 would be the release window. 

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

An N64 Classic without Rare would be... 

Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time+Majora's Mask, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros, Star Fox 64, Paper Mario and Donkey Kong 64. Maybe Kirby 64, Wave Race, Mischief Makers, and a Mario Party if they're super out of ideas. And then 1080 Snowboarding? Snowboard Kids? Chameleon Twist? There's really fewer than 10 HUGE N64 games they can realistically use without Microsoft's say-so. When the previous Classics were at about 20, it'd be a stretch to get there. 

They do technically also have both Pokemon Stadium games if they just need filler, nostalgia Pokemon seems to have been a good idea so far.

5 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

They do technically also have both Pokemon Stadium games if they just need filler, nostalgia Pokemon seems to have been a good idea so far.

problem with that is those games won't fully work, or at least work as intended. You really needed Red or Blue to play it.

also I think we'd be more likely to get Pokemon Snap

N64 Classic without Rare:

- Super Mario 64
- Pilotwings 64
- Wave Race
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- Kirby: The Crystal Shards
- Mario Kart 64
- Mario Party 2
- Mario Party 3
- Donkey Kong 64
- 1080 Snowboarding
- Mario Tennis
- Paper Mario
- Pokemon Stadium
- Pokemon Stadium 2
- Star Fox 64
- Sin & Punishment
- Mega Man 64 (Capcom)
- Bomberman 64 (Konami)
- Bomberman 64 2: The Second Attack (Konami)
- Bomberman Hero (Konami)
- Ogre Battle 64 (Square Enix)

So that's 22 games Nintendo could realistically get without Microsoft/Rare being involved. Mario Party 1 likely isn't happening due to the Stick-rotating games that were well known for destroying controllers, and Mischief Makers has its rights all over the place (at least between Treasure and Square-Enix). However, I do agree that getting Rare is integral for a N64 classic due to their games being a huge part of the console. At the very least, the Banjos, Diddy Kong Racing and Blast Corps should be there (I doubt we'll be getting any M-rated games).

Edited by Jave

18 minutes ago, Jave said:

- Super Mario 64
- Pilotwings 64
- Wave Race
- Mario Kart 64
- Mario Party 2
- Mario Party 3
- Donkey Kong 64
- 1080 Snowboarding
- Mario Tennis
- Paper Mario
- Pokemon Stadium
- Pokemon Stadium 2
- Star Fox 64
- Sin & Punishment
- Mega Man 64 (Capcom)
- Bomberman 64 (Konami)

So that's 22 games Nintendo could realistically get without Microsoft/Rare being involved. Mario Party 1 likely isn't happening due to the Stick-rotating games that were well known for destroying controllers, and Mischief Makers has its rights all over the place (at least between Treasure and Square-Enix). However, I do agree that getting Rare is integral for a N64 classic due to their games being a huge part of the console. At the very least, the Banjos, Diddy Kong Racing and Blast Corps should be there (I doubt we'll be getting any M-rated games).

I know you're not trying to sell a serious list(Just a hypothetical Rare-less one), but I'm going to be pedantic and nitpick it, anyway:

I doubt they'd put two Mario Party games on there, if any at all. If they did, it'd be 3.

Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 wouldn't work as they were designed without being able to hook up copies of the GB/GBC Pokemon games, and I don't think Nintendo would include them because of this. Pokemon Snap would probably be the sole Pokemon game.

3 separate Bomberman games, especially ones that are as of... questionable quality such as that is very unlikely.

Ogre Battle 64 is a very, very, very niche title for the system. As good as it is, it's highly unlikely such a game would be on the system unless they were really struggling to fill out a library.

Mega Man 64 is just Mega Man Legends, and a pretty unfavorably looked at port of the game.

I think a lot of people would raise their eyebrows if that turned out to be similar to what the N64 Classic actually gets. In fact, I think Nintendo would look at such a list and go "Shit, man. We really need to get Rare on here.", because that's a list with a ton of obvious filler.

Edited by Slumber

9 minutes ago, Jave said:

- Super Mario 64
- Pilotwings 64
- Wave Race
- Mario Kart 64
- Mario Party 2
- Mario Party 3
- Donkey Kong 64
- 1080 Snowboarding
- Mario Tennis
- Paper Mario
- Pokemon Stadium
- Pokemon Stadium 2
- Star Fox 64
- Sin & Punishment
- Mega Man 64 (Capcom)
- Bomberman 64 (Konami)

One, I have my doubts about Ogre Battle 64.

Two, Dr. Mario and Pokemon Puzzle League aren't on here. Nor are Quest 64 and Superman 64. And if you're including Konami, then Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon and Goemon's Great Adventure are possibilities, more so the former.

Didn't Castlevania had like two games on the N64? I could see one of them making it in.

Part of me has the faint hope that the Japanese game list includes Super Robot Wars 64, but that's an aside...