Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

Smash Bros Ultimate Bingo 11/1/18

The Grinch Leak is Real

More Assist Pokemon

More Stages

Elma

All-Star Mode

Incineroar

Adventure/Story Mode

Sakurai Trolls Us

Isaac

More Characters Die

Ken

Downloadable Demo

Free Space

More Assist Trophies

Fans Complain About Waluigi

Smash Run

N64 Smash Bros on Eshop

Shadow The Hedgehog

More Music

Fire Emblem Character

More Items

Break The Targets

Trophy Gallery

The Grinch Leak is Fake

Shantae

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, finally an announcement for the final smash bros direct has been given. Hopefully we can finally put an end to all these leaks and rumors soon as I was quite tired of hearing about them. Just noticed something, and I am not trying to say that the supposed blurred image mode from before is really called Spirits Mode or whatever people were calling it, but I see the direct is scheduled for November 1 which is conspicuously just before All Souls Day which is November 2. It probably means nothing but I thought it would fun to point out.

I’m really glad this is coming out, because we can finally put the Grinch leak to rest on it being either real or fake. It’s been a ludicrously toxic week for the Smash fandom. 

4 hours ago, Michelaar said:

40 MINUTES OH MY GOD. THATS SO LONG. YES.

I really hope school wifi wont be too bad since its notoriously bad.

Same Here. Why Thursday of all days? People have jobs at that time.

So it's finally time.

It'll be good to know for sure whether the Grinch leak is real or fake. Even a single character reveal will confirm it one way or the other; if it's somebody not in the Grinch leak then we know the Grinch leak is fake (assuming it was supposed to be the final roster). If it's somebody from the Grinch leak but their banner art is different from the leak's banner, the Grinch leak is fake. If it's someone from the Grinch leak and the art aligns right... it's real. Either way we'll know for sure with just one more character reveal.

Personally, roster aside, I hope this Direct shows some meaty singleplayer content. My multiplayer crew has gradually grown smaller and less frequent since Melee thanks to real life, so I need a good solid singleplayer to tide me over between scarcer multiplayer sessions. Spirits being an SSE sequel would be ideal, of course, but I'd settle for pretty much anything as long as it's an improvement over Smash 4's slog of a Classic Mode.

40 minutes is good. That's longer than the August Direct and we got a shitload of reveals and new content there. I don't have anywhere to be during the Direct, so I can just kick back and relax on my pillowtop bed while I enjoy the Smash hype. Maybe get a drink.

Edited by Anomalocaris

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Maybe there will be a surprise immediate demo drop? 

That'a both a good and bad idea. Good because we get an early taste of the game (barring any times you went to events like CEO 2018 like i did). Bad because dataminers.

54 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

If it's somebody from the Grinch leak but their banner art is different from the leak's banner, the Grinch leak is fake

If i remember correctly, the banner isn't shown until after all of the characters that are revealed. That was the case in the August Direct. So the bannee alignment won't matter because it'll be at the very, very end.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If i remember correctly, the banner isn't shown until after all of the characters that are revealed. That was the case in the August Direct. So the bannee alignment won't matter because it'll be at the very, very end.

Well, yes, but we'll know at the end of the Direct, at the very least, instead of sitting around for the remaining month wondering.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

That'a both a good and bad idea. Good because we get an early taste of the game (barring any times you went to events like CEO 2018 like i did). Bad because dataminers.

I don't remember much coming out of the Smash 4 demo in terms of datamining though. And surely Sakurai's team wouldn't be dumb enough to leave stuff that they don't want people to find yet.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I don't remember much coming out of the Smash 4 demo in terms of datamining though. And surely Sakurai's team wouldn't be dumb enough to leave stuff that they don't want people to find yet.

To be fair, the ESRB leak did throw a wrench in everyone's plans.

Right now, we don't know if the Grinch Leak is real.

That said, Sakurai did say he would reveal everythint before launch so the most that could come out of datamines is music, trophies and character unlock requirments.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

To be fair, the ESRB leak did throw a wrench in everyone's plans.

Right now, we don't know if the Grinch Leak is real.

That said, Sakurai did say he would reveal everythint before launch so the most that could come out of datamines is music, trophies and character unlock requirments.

True.

True again.

Then there should be no fear of bad leaks from datamining a demo. I hope we get a demo anyway, since we got one for Smash 4.

15 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Is the Grinch leak the one from 4chan?

No. The Grinch Leak is basically being considered Ultimate's ESRB leak (meaning it supposedly reveals the whole roster though it lacks gameplay footage so there's arguments for it being fake) and it's called the Grinch Leak due to the presence of The Grinch Movie promotional material in the leak.

Thus, if it's real, then we can really say that the Grinch stole Christmas.

Lighter wants from the Direct, since I wouldn't take the time to hash out bigger stuff just to have it buried under leak discussion that's still creeping in the general thread:

• Give us another #HumbleBrag moment in telling us how many trophies are in the game. I don't think they're stopping at a thousand. I think if you combine the unique trophies in the 3DS and wii u versions of Smash 4 they already hit a thousand. 1500 is my conservative estimate. "We must be crazy"
  • Let amiibos unlock the characters. It'll make those things seem especially useful on those Day 1 smashfests. It'll also help out big tournament venues since there's no way to transfer save data between switches as far as I'm aware.
  • Related to the previous point, but make us work to fill out those character select screens. I don't want it to be so easy that I'm done on the first day like either version of Smash 4. I think it should take on average a cool eight hours spread across many modes and challenges to get them all. On par with Brawl. But also have a system where the game is giving you explicit suggestions on how to unlock somebody. Just think about eight hours, ~70 unlockable characters, that's about nine unlocked per hour. That's an insane pace in practice. 
  • Have All Star not be grindy. That's a mode where you KO about 80 opponents 80 times to get all those final smash trophy rewards and just...how do you make that process engaging? There's gotta be an easy answer to that question.
  • Boss Battle Mode. Hey, we saw that rathalos and that Dracula fight. I don't need to know right now what context we get such cool boss battles, but please also have that separate challenge mode where you fight 'em all in sequence. Sakurai is the last person I need to tell how cool that idea is, but I'm just making sure we're on that same page.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

No. The Grinch Leak is basically being considered Ultimate's ESRB leak (meaning it supposedly reveals the whole roster though it lacks gameplay footage so there's arguments for it being fake) and it's called the Grinch Leak due to the presence of The Grinch Movie promotional material in the leak.

Thus, if it's real, then we can really say that the Grinch stole Christmas.

If that Grinch Leak turns out to be real, I am pretty sure that Grinch Leak is definitely not part of the final roster and it would most likely use for the November Direct instead of the December Launch Direct.

And plus, I'm kinda wondering if that Green Mode (that everyone speculated as the Spirits Mode) would be shown in the November Direct? I kinda wondered if we could see some of the non-playable bosses from Subspace Emissary and Brawl would come back since Boss Battles is coming back. I definitely wanted to see Pokey from EarthBound series and Petey Piranha come back and I definitely wanted to see some Subspace Emissary Bosses to return as well since there were some Subspace Emissary enemies did returned in Smash Run on the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.

Edited by King Marth 64

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Let amiibos unlock the characters. It'll make those things seem especially useful on those Day 1 smashfests. It'll also help out big tournament venues since there's no way to transfer save data between switches as far as I'm aware.

It's heavily implied in the pre-order description for Wolf's amiibo that this works like this, and Sakurai himself said a characters amiibo from any game can work with the game (Say like Chrom's Warriors amiibo).